Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Liverpool and Man City are in the driver's seat, but Arsenal's form has picked up a bit of late and Mourinho/Man Utd have a habit of getting the cards to fall their way at just the right moment.

All four teams have lost silly matches recently; Liverpool faced Southampton four times this season and failed to score in any of those matches. It gives me flashbacks to 2008-2009 when Liverpool's two limp 0-0 draws with Pulis' Stoke blew up their title chances. In both cases they were winnable games. This despite doing the double over Ferg's Man Utd.

While I accept that Manchester United are difficult to beat (so, very well done Arsenal last week-end), they don't win many matches either, - they have drawn quite a few - and - even with Zlatan - they failed to score many goals (without him, their goal-scoring record would have been truly execrable), but, Mr Mourinho's legendary luck notwithstanding, I don't see them finishing in the top four or five spots.

Both Liverpool and Manchester City had been somewhat erratic in recent weeks - and expecting them to win with any consistency - even with the dangling temptation of the possible prize of a place in the Champion's League - may be asking a little much.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
While I accept that Manchester United are difficult to beat (so, very well done Arsenal last week-end), they don't win many matches either, - they have drawn quite a few - and - even with Zlatan - they failed to score many goals (without him, their goal-scoring record would have been truly execrable), but, Mr Mourinho's legendary luck notwithstanding, I don't see them finishing in the top four or five spots.

Both Liverpool and Manchester City had been somewhat erratic in recent weeks - and expecting them to win with any consistency - even with the dangling temptation of the possible prize of a place in the Champion's League - may be asking a little much.

I wish I had your confidence that Mou would come up short. Then again, he's got an easy ticket back to the CL through the Europa League - they haven't had to face a single tough match in the entire competition.

Meanwhile, in MLS, Federico Higuain scored a Panenka against Toronto, though the syrup suckers went on to win the match anyway.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wish I had your confidence that Mou would come up short. Then again, he's got an easy ticket back to the CL through the Europa League - they haven't had to face a single tough match in the entire competition.

Meanwhile, in MLS, Federico Higuain scored a Panenka against Toronto, though the syrup suckers went on to win the match anyway.

Well, they are making a bit of a dog's dinner of defeating Celtic Vigo (who came back strongly and whom I would love to see defeat Manchester United).

But, agreed, they haven't faced the sort of team to properly thrash them, which is what they richly deserve.

In the League, I cannot see United finishing in the top four - their stats are brutal. However, if they sneak a Champion's League place through victory in the Europa Cup, then, whoever places fourth may yet regret not having put more effort and energy into trying to finish third....

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Well, they are making a bit of a dog's dinner of defeating Celtic Vigo (who came back strongly and whom I would love to see defeat Manchester United).

But, agreed, they haven't faced the sort of team to properly thrash them, which is what they richly deserve.

In the League, I cannot see United finishing in the top four - their stats are brutal. However, if they sneak a Champion's League place through victory in the Europa Cup, then, whoever places fourth may yet regret not having put more effort and energy into trying to finish third....
Yes that would be interesting. Is that right though? We only get 4 spots so if Man U win the Ropey trophy fourth looses out? I can imagine that will only swell the hatred for them from whoever that would be!
[doublepost=1494539407][/doublepost]According to the Standard 5 go through, but fourth would face a play off.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes that would be interesting. Is that right though? We only get 4 spots so if Man U win the Ropey trophy fourth looses out? I can imagine that will only swell the hatred for them from whoever that would be!

I sincerely hope that Manchester United - especially after tonight's utterly mediocre (the Guardian offered the verb "shambles" by the end of the second half) - performance - do not win this trophy.

Frankly, Celta Vigo could only blame themselves - they had what then Guardian described as "a slew" of chances and failed to convert them. Nevertheless, they did turn up to play and to fight, and very nearly won by scoring a second goal.

However, I hope that Ajax destroy Manchester United in the final - for, I do detest Mr Mourinho - and the toxic and negative mindset that accompanies him everywhere he goes.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I sincerely hope that Manchester United - especially after tonight's utterly mediocre (the Guardian offered the verb "shambles" by the end of the second half) - performance - do not win this trophy.

Frankly, Celta Vigo could only blame themselves - they had what then Guardian described as "a slew" of chances and failed to convert them. Nevertheless, they did turn up to play and to fight, and very nearly won by scoring a second goal.

However, I hope that Ajax destroy Manchester United in the final - for, I do detest Mr Mourinho - and the toxic and negative mindset that accompanies him everywhere he goes.
Agreed! A trophy less Mourinho is a good season whatever team he's with!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Five teams may qualify for the Champions League from England, so Man Utd's all-but-guaranteed winning of the Europa League will not cost the fourth place finisher in the Premier League a CL spot.

It is appropriate that Fellaini, a player who has come to define the post-Ferg Man Utd, got the goal that allowed them to scrape through. Man Utd looked flat and were lucky to win this tie. But that's a typical Mourinho team...they often seem to only just barely be getting by - till you notice that, in aggregate, they rarely ever lose and his record in knockout competitions is excellent.

I'll never forgive Fellaini for having to watch him help Belgium tear the USA apart during a friendly a few years back. Always throwing elbows, and he gets away with it over and over.

Man Utd will be boring once again in the final, but in order for Ajax to win they will have to beat Mou at his own game - put up a perfect defensive performance and wait for the opposition to make a mistake. It is possible for Ajax to do it but I am fairly certain they won't.

Winning the Europa League and qualifying for the CL will rightly be seen as a substantial achievement for Man Utd, but the reality is they've stumbled through a competition full of mediocre teams costing less than Mino Raiola's backup handkerchief and looked boring doing it. If Mourinho can't do better than that next season, with all the resources in the world, he's in for a rough ride.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Arsenal seem to have recovered much of their brio, confidence and mojo with a 4-1 demolition of Stoke: Nevertheless, while they are looming a little in the rear view window of both Liverpool and Manchester City they still have to hope that one, if not both, of these teams stumbles and stutters over the next two games, otherwise a fourth place is by no means guaranteed.

Reactions: JamesMike

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I wish Man U could get him.

Indeed.

Unfortunately, Manchester United have made a pact with a number of devils (the deities of commerce, Mourinho, crude and profitable saturation of foreign markets, among others) and placating such demanding deities means that such deals have a habit of falling due, when you are handed the bill.

I don't think that this is the world that Mr Conte inhabits; besides, his family still lives in Italy - I'm not sure that Chelsea will retain his services or hiis heart for an awful lot longer, either. He strikes me as the sort of self-contained man who will walk before he is pushed.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Indeed.

Unfortunately, Manchester United have made a pact with a number of devils (the deities of commerce, Mourinho, crude and profitable saturation of foreign markets, among others) and placating such demanding deities means that such deals have a habit of falling due, when you are handed the bill.

I don't think that this is the world that Mr Conte inhabits; besides, his family still lives in Italy - I'm not sure that Chelsea will retain his services of his heart for an awful lot longer, either. He strikes me as the sort of self-contained man who will walk before he is pushed.

I agree.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Crystal Palace secure their place in the top flight with a clinical assassination of Hull - defeating them 4-0, and sending the latter through the trap door of beckoning relegation.

Subsequently, Liverpool show the class they are capable of, when they produced that exact score - 4-0 - in a cool dismemberment of West Ham, thereby putting some distance between themselves and Arsenal, and making securing a top four spot just that bit easier.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Crystal Palace secure their place in the top flight with a clinical assassination of Hull - defeating them 4-0, and sending the latter through the trap door of beckoning relegation.

Subsequently, Liverpool show the class they are capable of, when they produced that exact score - 4-0 - in a cool dismemberment of West Ham, thereby putting some distance between themselves and Arsenal, and making securing a top four spot just that bit easier.
Alright, alright no need to rub it in!

We had nothing to play for today and I believe that showed.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Alright, alright no need to rub it in!

We had nothing to play for today and I believe that showed.

Still, 4-0? There is nothing to play for, and there is a little pride, - above all, for the fans. West Ham are a hard enough team to love at the best of times, and their fans have put up with a lot form them.

No, I wasn't rubbing it in, rather pointing out that both Liverpool (and, at 4-0, that was a thrashing, not simply a defeat) and Manchester City (who, yes, were lucky against Leicester - but the latter failed to take their chances, not least that idiotic penalty) were able to produce impressive results when it mattered.

Arsenal - who have finally found steady and consistent form - are still in their (that is, Liverpool's and Manchester City's) respective rear view mirrors, and must still keep winning, but even that may not suffice in order to secure a top four place for them.

That stupid defeat (gutless, spineless surrender) to Crystal Palace a few weeks ago really did for them, or, rather, they did for themselves.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Still, 4-0? There is nothing to play for, and there is a little pride, - above all, for the fans. West Ham are a hard enough team to love at the best of times, and their fans have put up with a lot form them.

No, I wasn't rubbing it in, rather pointing out that both Liverpool (and, at 4-0, that was a thrashing, not simply a defeat) and Manchester City (who, yes, were lucky against Leicester - but the latter failed to take their chances, not least that idiotic penalty) were able to produce impressive results when it mattered.

Arsenal - who have finally found steady and consistent form - are still in their (that is, Liverpool's and Manchester City's) respective rear view mirrors, and must still keep winning, but even that may not suffice in order to secure a top four place for them.

That stupid defeat (gutless, spineless surrender) to Crystal Palace a few weeks ago really did for them, or, rather, they did for themselves.
Hard to love? Don't know what you mean!

"Fortune's always hiding, I've looked everywhere, I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.