Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What is the advantage of buying a small fleet of F/A-18F Block III instead of EA-18G Block II ?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Boeing is due for a harsh reckoning that'll set them back years. All their tomfoolery is coming back to bite them in the ass.

Well the approach to quality assurance in a Boeing plant in South Carolina might fall in that category one of these days. The mechanics are increasingly required to inspect their own work --now apparently up to about 90% of the assembly process-- in production of new 787 Dreamliner aircraft.

Many errors are either not found or not reported in timely fashion and so not addressed until late in the final QA process. That has ended up increasing, not reducing the total number of days it takes from start of assembly to day of first flight even if the planes are assembled faster. And, the plant is subject in 2019-20 to 100 more reassignments from inspection crews to other tasks.

https://www.postandcourier.com/busi...cle_5ccc89ce-6cea-11e9-af3c-bfe34127eb85.html

Some of the mistakes are serious safety hazards, like debris being left in the sensors that measure air speed while a plane is in flight. More common problems, workers say, range from surplus rags and bolts left in planes to loose cabin seats and unsecured galley equipment.

Workers say many of those production problems can be traced to the relatively new self-inspection program now spearheaded by Boeing Vice President Ernesto Gonzalez-Beltran, a former automobile executive with no previous aviation manufacturing experience.

The program — called Multi-Function Process Performer, or MFPP — is part of Boeing's "first-pass quality" initiative designed to hasten production while cutting down on errors. Work is supposed to be done right the first time, and Boeing says it usually is...

But Mary Schiavo, a former inspector general for the U.S. Department of Transportation, said she looked into similar self-inspection programs when she was in office and found they "weren't an effective way to catch problems."

"They certify and pass their own work and say it meets the standards, and a lot of time we found that there really isn't an inspection," Schiavo said.

One worker said planes have been moved out of final assembly with cut tires, cooling fluids that haven't been serviced, gears that haven't been tested and hydraulics that aren't fully functional.

"They are rolling them out on the day scheduled no matter the condition," an employee said. "The schedule on paper drives everything here now."

Work that falls under the MFPP program now makes up about 90 percent of a plane's production, workers say.

"There’s not a second set of eyes, just them trying to speed up the process and build it cheaper," said one worker.

Boeing still requires second-party quality inspections for parts and processes considered critical to flight safety.

At the same time Boeing is relying on mechanics to check their own work, the company is eliminating many of its quality inspectors and assigning them to other jobs. Boeing plans to eliminate 451 inspectors at West Coast plants this year and a similar number in 2020. About 100 inspection jobs are on the line in North Charleston.

Reactions: a2jack

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What is the advantage of buying a small fleet of F/A-18F Block III instead of EA-18G Block II ?
I read that you can pay a supplement to order F/A-18F's wired to convert them later into Growlers, and that you can convert Growlers into F/A-18F's.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Even the 787 has some faults, though these have been addressed over time. The issue of the 737 Max is bizarre. Unheard of in the industry. Thankfully, you can almost always see what equipment is used on a flight booking before you book it. Though Boeing had laid off 200 employees 2 years ago at their North Charleston plants. This was after Carrier went back on their word and long after Trump's deal.

I divested about 95% of the stock I held in Boeing this last summer. I bought way back when it was dirt cheap. I figured this is as good as it's going to get and to invest in better things. I have a feeling Boeing was banking on Trump not blowing up the Iran deal since Iran was to buy $20B worth of planes from Boeing alone. Around 19B from Airbus, too. That would have been some great cash injection over a controlled timeline.

My best stock choices seem to have been in tech sans Apple because I had a dumb-dumb moment over a decade ago.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I think Boeing got really sloppy with the 737Max. Poor design(1 sensor for such a vital system!?!?), poor testing, poor certification. I am very wary of such 'smart' tech going into products without manual override switches for the human operators.

If anyone's interested, here's a docco I found pretty informative...

EDIT>>Looks like the video was taken down due to copyright claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think Boeing got really sloppy with the 737Max. Poor design(1 sensor for such a vital system!?!?), poor testing, poor certification. I am very wary of such 'smart' tech going into products without manual override switches for the human operators.

If anyone's interested, here's a docco I found pretty informative...
Typical fly by wire aircraft rely on triplicate for vital functions so this is surprising and alarming. I have not yet watched the video.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
A220 range increased by up to 450nm.

You mean the “Bombardier C-Series?” ;);););)
[doublepost=1558479154][/doublepost]
Typical fly by wire aircraft rely on triplicate for vital functions so this is surprising and alarming. I have not yet watched the video.

True, however Boeing could have avoided the single sensor issue simply by implementation of MCAS exactly as in the KC-46. MCAS in the KC-46 has always relied on input from both AoA sensors. MCAS in the KC-46 was a further development of the system from the Max. To not implement the changes on the Max was an extremely flawed process, and Boeing should be held responsible.

OTOH, if the crew on ET 309 had been monitoring their airspeed and recognized that AT was engaged at 94% thrust they would have saved the aircraft IMO.

In no way am I minimizing the CRM demands during the 6 min flight. However, if one was flying and the other was running the lists the AT should have been disengaged. The aircraft could have been manually trimmed at 230kts. Because of the AT they were at 340kts and trying to manual trim.

Turned the stab trims back on against procedure and at 340kts the MCAS pitch down was unrecoverable.

I’m just sayin every accident is a chain of events. :apple:

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The oldest Lufthansa A320 was retired yesterday and flew over the Hamburg plant.

Today is the 50th anniversary of the launch of Airbus.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The oldest Lufthansa A320 was retired yesterday and flew over the Hamburg plant.

Today is the 50th anniversary of the launch of Airbus.

Yesterday marked the 50th anniversary of Korean Air taking delivery of their first Boeing. A 707. It was noted with the delivery of their 200th Boeing a 773-ER. :apple:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
F-16: MIPS
F-22: PowerPC + i960
F-15: PowerPC
F-18: PowerPC
F-35: PowerPC
Tejas: PowerPC
Rafale: PowerPC
Gripen: PowerPC
Eurofighter: PowerPC

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
F-16: MIPS
F-15: PowerPC
F-18: PowerPC
F-22: PowerPC
F-35: PowerPC
Rafale: PowerPC
Gripen: PowerPC
Eurofighter: PowerPC + Motorola 68k
Are you making a comparison or do these aircraft use those as their central computers? I suspect the former (I hope). :p

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Are you making a comparison or do these aircraft use those as their central computers? I suspect the former (I hope). :p
The latest versions (F-16V is unspecified but only twice as fast as previously). Gripen E is also unknown.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glideslope

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
RBCYIYDIP5DN7GD2T3KX37XFGE.jpg

Reactions: Glideslope

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think a better way of seeing how expensive a plane is would be adjusted price per tonne (fully loaded).

Last edited:

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I think a better way of seeing how expensive a plane is would be adjusted price per tonne (fully loaded).

One would have to factor the material used in the construction. Materials are more of a cost factor than simply weight. That being said for commercial aircraft, say the recent increase in MTOW by 6T on the 787-10, it's additional weight gained through structural improvement does generate a price increase. One could argue the customer is simply paying for the additional performance as well. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.