Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks OP for this.

Assuming this is an exhaustive list, I'm disappointed that so many years after the release of the first 5K iMac, manufacturers haven't released more of those. I'd also like to have PPI consistency between my laptop and an external 27" display (which is more than enough, no need for 32").

Reactions: JtheLemur

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Love this spreadsheet, but any chance it could be a google doc or something easier to read? Thanks!

melodibit

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2022
You ought to include in your list the refurb Studio Display from Apple for $1,359:

At that price, there is really no point in getting a 5K Ultrafine which only saves you $60. Apple factory refurbs are indistinguishable from brand new, they have the full warranty, and AppleCare available. There is no downside to Apple refurb other than that they come in plain boxes.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Still not many good available alternatives to Studio display.
This is what is striking about the Studio Display. Initially you balk at the price…then you start looking around for an alternative and find there aren’t many and you’re usually giving up something for it. Look at an Apple refurbished Studio Display—indistinguishable from new, as someone already mentioned upthread—and the alternatives to it look even worse.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Love this spreadsheet, but any chance it could be a google doc or something easier to read? Thanks!
I'd like to keep it here, if possible... I've unfortunately seen way too many otherwise excellent technical threads on other forums that become nearly worthless after external linked resources change or disappear. :(

I was going to make the table directly in my post, which would be ideal as then all of the text is searchable. But it seems like there is a forum limit at 10 columns... The only other thought I had was to split it into two halves? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: kretek

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
You ought to include in your list the refurb Studio Display from Apple for $1,359:
At that price, there is really no point in getting a 5K Ultrafine which only saves you $60.

Refurb is a bit of a slippery slope... If we compare "apples to apples", the refurbished LG is only $905 with a 90-day guarantee on Amazon. $450 savings over Apple refurb is considerable, and brings the LG right back into the value lead. Obviously "refurbished" means different things to different people (or companies), and Apple tends to have a better reputation for this... but you could have three refurbished LGs for the price of two refurbished Apple Studio displays.

Used prices would also be a good comparison, here the LGs sell frequently on eBay for the upper $300s / lower $400s price range, which is remarkable. But used prices are a highly variable supply/demand situation, so I'm hesitant to add that to the table?

The LG is also frequently available NEW at the $1099 price point. I haven't figured out if these are sales, or how LG clears out the older models as they keep updating it (who knew there were 8+ versions of this monitor??). But $1099 is a common price for them.

Reactions: Tagbert

badgerbadgerx2

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2019
After looking at 27" screens for the last 14 years (and a 24" Sony GDM FW900, w00t) for years before that... Im moving to the new 32" Dell 6K. Just need to wait for a sale and price drop to $2500 or so =)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I will be honest that the Kuycon is my top choice just because I want a glossy display.

Main issue at the moment is my 1070 ti cannot drive a 5K display except at 6-bit color per reports. I may replace my PC with a newer one with a better GPU, but I don't really have to from a performance perspective. So thinking I might just accept 4K and go 32" so I can run it at 1080p HiDPI while still having a large workspace.

Reactions: user314159

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
I imported a LG 27MD5KL from the US off of eBay last year (at significant cost, but still cheaper than a new ASD by at least $500) and so far I've been extremely disappointed with it:
- Ugly reddish tint (difference is very significant next to my old 2014 iMac 5K, which has developed image retency issues over the years but still has nice colours otherwise)
- Plastic chassis feels hollow and cheap
- Stand is wobbly and completely worthless (though thankfully it comes with an alternate VESA mount backpanel)
- Speakers are HORRIBLE TRASH
- Unlike the ASD it won't do native resolution over plain USB-C (it's capped to 4K unless the input is true Thunderbolt) which limits its compatibility with non-Apple hardware (how ironic that the Apple one fares better about that...)

It is genuinely pathetic that for a long time, this massively overpriced piece of garbage was the only option for a standalone 5K monitor.

Back when I bought it, refurbished ASDs weren't available yet, and now I am bitterly regretting not having waited for that.

Although my real wish is for a manufacturer to release a decent 5K monitor that's not just limited to a single USB-C/TB input. Cause as nice as the ASD appears to be, that's still a very annoying limitation. A display of this price should have more inputs, like c'mon.

Last edited:

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
I will be honest that the Kuycon is my top choice just because I want a glossy display.

Main issue at the moment is my 1070 ti cannot drive a 5K display except at 6-bit color per reports.
As a glossy display fan, I feel your pain. I presume that we are talking 60Hz - Can your graphics card do 5K 8-bit at a reduced refresh rate?

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas
Is that a bad thing? Samsung is going the same way with the ViewFinity S9. I personally like having stylistic consistency of my equipment - so third parties making an attempt, instead of just throwing out generic plastic meh is a good thing in my book.

(By the way, the G27X is actually orderable two ways, one of which mimics the case style of the Studio Display, and one the Pro Display XDR:
well that’s fine, the problem is when they’re making it an Apple display knockoff replacement instead of an alternative. the problem with fake AirPods is that they are inferior to the real thing.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
- Unlike the ASD it won't do native resolution over plain USB-C (it's capped to 4K unless the input is true Thunderbolt) which limits its compatibility with non-Apple hardware (how ironic that the Apple one fares better about that...)
If you really want native resolution over plain USB-C, then you can try 5K with a custom timing set to 39Hz.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
So what is a good 27”-30” screen that looks like the imac 5k screen and works with pc so we can game with higher refresh rates than 60/70hz?

Thanks for the post, very interesting!

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
If you really want native resolution over plain USB-C, then you can try 5K with a custom timing set to 39Hz.
That's an even worse compromise. 60Hz is the absolute minimum requirement for a usable display.

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh

kitsunesoba

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
I might propose building a simple web app for this table. Doing this would bring a few benefits:

• This would allow it to be hosted on GitHub, which is free and in no danger of disappearing any time soon
  • It would make it easy for other users to make forks (personal copies) of the table to further reduce risk of disappearance
  • It'd enable collaborative editing and change tracking
  • The web app could offer options to sort the table, choose which columns are visible, etc to acommodate for what users find most important in their display shopping
  • It could be hosted at an easily memorable subdomain (e.g. "5kdisplays.github.com")

If this is of interest I could try cobbling something together. I'm more of a native dev but have done web stuff in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: forrestwhite

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
@kitsunesoba - Thanks for the offer, but I think it sounds like overkill? Creating this list was more of a data gathering curiosity... with only two proven viable displays actually available for sale, and most looong discontinued, the number of people who would benefit from that kind of filtering is going to be very small... and with this few of displays, over nearly a decade of 5K panel existence, I'm not sure there is any benefit to change tracking, forking, etc? A concise post here in the forum, with all of the data here in the forum co-located with the discussion of that data, ensures its existence for the people who need it most.

In truth, for most 27" 5K monitor buyers, the decision flowchart is actually quite simple:

1) Did I find something locally / cheap / used?
Yes -> Go with that one.
2) Am I handy with electronics?
Yes -> 5K iMac conversion
3) Am I willing to gamble?
Yes -> Kuycon G27X
4) Am I willing to wait?
Yes -> Samsung ViewFinity S9
5) Is cost the biggest factor?
Yes -> LG UltraFine 5K
6) Apple Studio Display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tagbert

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
That's an even worse compromise. 60Hz is the absolute minimum requirement for a usable display.
Depending on your needs, it can be an acceptable tradeoff if you have to choose between resolution, color depth, or refresh rate. Gaming would be a mess of course, but things like photo editing would certainly be better with a higher color depth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.