Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
To nitpick, PLS is a Samsung-specific variant of IPS...

27MD5KA are Thunderbolt only. They require...

Addendum:

Column for PPI would be useful...

You ought to include in your list the refurb Studio Display from Apple for $1,359:

I will confirm that the HP screen is matte...

The table in the first post has been updated, thanks everyone for the new data!

Reactions: OddyOh

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The early 5K PC displays (HP, Dell, Iiyama, etc.) all required dual DisplayPort inputs because DisplayPort at the time could not drive the monitor at even 60Hz over one cable (each DP input drove half the display, hence the need for two inputs).
DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) can do 5K60 at 6bpc RGB.
DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3) cannot do 5K60 at 10bpc RGB (only 8bpc RGB).
The LG UltraFine 5K requires two discrete DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) streams tunneled over Thunderbolt 3 for 5K60 at 10bpc RGB.
The Iiyama XB2779QQS can do 5K60 at 8bpc RGB using DisplayPort 1.4 (HBR3).

As an aside, this is why Apple developed a custom timing controller for the iMac 5K [...]
The iMac 5K panel is tiled (#147).

The table in the first post has been updated, thanks everyone for the new data!
Tidbit: The Iiyama XB2779QQS (and possibly Planar IX2790, but I've only confirmed it on the Iiyama) can do "dual DP" (aka dual-link SST) for 5K60. It has a Picture-by-Picture mode (#706). This will not result in a "combined" desktop on macOS since the EDIDs don't contain tile information and there's no .mtdd overlay for the display.

Last edited:

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Thunderbolt 3/4 lacks the bandwidth to truly support 5K resolutions with deeper color depths at higher than 60Hz refresh (even with DSC, it can only do so at lower color depths).

The early 5K PC displays (HP, Dell, Iiyama, etc.) all required dual DisplayPort inputs because DisplayPort at the time could not drive the monitor at even 60Hz over one cable (each DP input drove half the display, hence the need for two inputs). This made them somewhat of a hassle for PC owners and market acceptance remained very low so the OEMs eventually stopped selling them. As an aside, this is why Apple developed a custom timing controller for the iMac 5K and this killed Target Display Mode (since, again, you could not drive the iMac 5K display at 5K over a single TB input cable).

Since LG's 5K panel was used with and for Macs, LG had no incentive to make it more than 60Hz. The new BoE 5K panel that is believed to be used in the Samsung S9 will likely also be a 60Hz panel since it offers Thunderbolt connectivity, as well, but it does also have DisplayPort inputs, so it might offer higher refresh rates via DP. We will have to see the specs when they finally get around to shipping it.
Thanks a lot, very interesting post!

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
The LG UltraFine 5K requires two discrete DisplayPort 1.2 (HBR2) streams tunneled over Thunderbolt 3 for 5K60 at 10bpc RGB.

That's not true, otherwise it wouldn't be compatible with Apple Silicon laptops with only one external display stream available, such as the M1 MBA I'm using mine with.

developeren

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
That's not true, otherwise it wouldn't be compatible with Apple Silicon laptops with only one external display stream available, such as the M1 MBA I'm using mine with.
It is true. For some (obvious) reason, M1s accept dual display stream when they are for 5K.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
M1 is weird. While it can't support two separate displays from Thunderbolt, it does support a dual tiled display with two separate DisplayPort outputs from a Thunderbolt port.

The M1 Mac mini has 3 DisplayPort outputs. One for HDMI, one for Thunderbolt, and a third one for Thunderbolt that can only be used by a dual tiled display.

The MacBook Pro M1 Max has 8 DisplayPort outputs but can support only 4 external displays. Someone connected 3 LG UltraFine 5K to it.
1) built in display
2) hdmi
3,4) 2 for Thunderbolt port 1
5,6) 2 for Thunderbolt port 2
7,8) 2 for Thunderbolt port 3

Only on Intel Macs and PCs does the LG UltraFine 5K count as two displays.

Thunderbolt 3/4 lacks the bandwidth to truly support 5K resolutions with deeper color depths at higher than 60Hz refresh (even with DSC, it can only do so at lower color depths).
Thunderbolt 3/4 supports 5K60 10bpc RGB with dual tiles. You don't need deeper than that.
DSC can do 8K60 at 10bpc. It compresses 12bpc to 12bpp.

The early 5K PC displays (HP, Dell, Iiyama, etc.) all required dual DisplayPort inputs because DisplayPort at the time could not drive the monitor at even 60Hz over one cable (each DP input drove half the display, hence the need for two inputs).
I think the Iiyama used HBR3 for 5K60 8bpc RGB.
5K60 6bpc can be done with HBR2 but Macs don't support 6bpc. For Windows, I think you need a AMD or Nvidia GPU to choose 6bpc but 6bpc has banding.

This made them somewhat of a hassle for PC owners and market acceptance remained very low so the OEMs eventually stopped selling them.
I don't think connecting two DisplayPort cables is much of a hassle. You need a GPU with two DisplayPort outputs and a driver that support dual tiled displays.

As an aside, this is why Apple developed a custom timing controller for the iMac 5K and this killed Target Display Mode (since, again, you could not drive the iMac 5K display at 5K over a single TB input cable).
I don't know how special the custom timing controller is. The iMac 5K display appears as a dual tiled display just like most of the other 5K displays. Target Display Mode for 5K60 could have been possible if there was a Thunderbolt 3 host controller that had two DisplayPort Out Adapters (see DisplayPort In/Out Adapters in the USB4 spec). Thunderbolt host controllers don't usually have DisplayPort Out Adapters except the Thunderbolt 1 host controller used in the 27 inch iMacs that supported Thunderbolt Target Display Mode. A Thunderbolt path is created from a source Mac's DisplayPort In Adapter to the Target iMac's DisplayPort Out Adapter for the tunnelled DisplayPort. I suppose a solution would be to add a second Thunderbolt 3 controller inside the iMac 5K as a peripheral Thunderbolt controller. The peripheral Thunderbolt controller has two DisplayPort Out Adapters that could be switched to the iMac 5K's internal display. The tunnelled DisplayPort path would be more complicated - it would have to go through the host controller to the peripheral controller. I don't know if such a path is possible - if it were, then any Mac could do Thunderbolt Target Display Mode. Only one Thunderbolt port from the host controller could be exposed since the second Thunderbolt port would be used for the peripheral controller. You can expose the two Thunderbolt ports of the peripheral controller so the iMac would have 3 ports instead of 2 but displays connected to those two Thunderbolt ports cannot be used during Thunderbolt Target Display Mode since they would use up DisplayPort Out Adapters (or those displays could be used instead of the iMac's display for Thunderbolt Target Display Mode).

Since LG's 5K panel was used with and for Macs, LG had no incentive to make it more than 60Hz.
70Hz 10bpc RGB is possible with dual HBR2. Maybe the issue was the complication of having dual tiles with multiple refresh rates since you would want to support both 60 and 70Hz. Apple didn't have that ability until the Apple Pro Display XDR.

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I remember seeing a press release in a remote corner of the internet saying that a major Chinese panel manufacturer was going to start producing 27" 5120x2880 panels early this year. I wonder whatever happened with that.

Meanwhile, if somebody has $530 and is feeling brave, here's a Hopestar monitor on Alibaba:

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Reactions: motrek

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
But every once in a while, a post comes along, or you find an obscure reference... "but what about the 5K Iiyama?" What Iiyama? Oh... and you learn about a discontinued display, previously unknown to yourself.

Meanwhile, if somebody has $530 and is feeling brave, here's a Hopestar monitor on Alibaba:

Mind Blown 2.png

And there it is. Thanks @motrek, for single-handedly justifying the reason I created this thread. 😁

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013

Being serious though, this is a fascinating development.

It is the cheapest 27" 5K monitor, ever, by a significant margin.
They list the panel used (LM270QQ2-SPA1) and a whole bunch of other specs.

Brightness is on the low side (310 cd/m2), but otherwise the specs looks good? The input port types (2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DP) and the connector sequence (power, HDMI, HDMI, DP, DP, Headphone) matches that of the R9A18 circuit board, of which there is tons of stock (based on Aliexpress listings)... So I almost wonder if this is a pre-made equivalent of what folks have been doing with 5K iMac conversions?

If so, this is an amazing development, as the whole monitor is literally the same cost as the bare panel and circuitry - and that doesn't account for the housing, packaging, etc. It's also a believable product, as those parts are essentially off-the-shelf. And the seller has a long history and a good reputation on Aliexpress.

This will be one to keep an eye on!

Reactions: Ener Ji

developeren

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2020
Being serious though, this is a fascinating development.

It is the cheapest 27" 5K monitor, ever, by a significant margin.
They list the panel used (LM270QQ2-SPA1) and a whole bunch of other specs.

Brightness is on the low side (310 cd/m2), but otherwise the specs looks good? The input port types (2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DP) and the connector sequence (power, HDMI, HDMI, DP, DP, Headphone) matches that of the R9A18 circuit board, of which there is tons of stock (based on Aliexpress listings)... So I almost wonder if this is a pre-made equivalent of what folks have been doing with 5K iMac conversions?

If so, this is an amazing development, as the whole monitor is literally the same cost as the bare panel and circuitry - and that doesn't account for the housing, packaging, etc. It's also a believable product, as those parts are essentially off-the-shelf. And the seller has a long history and a good reputation on Aliexpress.

This will be one to keep an eye on!
There are a lot of 5K monitor models on Alibaba as well, it’s just that you can’t buy only one, most of them has minimum 10 piece order limit :(

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
There are not many and nothing touches Apple and the precious LG “Apple”. I’m still on LG 27” and it’s fantastic.

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
OP list should include a column for input ports. That's a pretty important detail.

Added! I've left the LG sections blank for now due to the long list of model numbers - If something changed between them, I don't want to get it wrong. If anyone knows the general capabilities across these models, please let me know and I'll update the table.

The Iiyama XB2779QQS (and possibly Planar IX2790, but I've only confirmed it on the Iiyama) can do "dual DP" (aka dual-link SST) for 5K60. It has a Picture-by-Picture mode (#706). This will not result in a "combined" desktop on macOS since the EDIDs don't contain tile information and there's no .mtdd overlay for the display.

Added!

Added!

Added!

Since input ports are now in the table, I also added a column to indicate whether the display supports USB-C PD, and if so, how much power it provides. I made a few other minor corrections while I was at it (Kuycon panel type, brightness, and enclosure types, iMac display availability).

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
There are a lot of 5K monitor models on Alibaba as well, it’s just that you can’t buy only one, most of them has minimum 10 piece order limit :(

If you see any others that look to be different, please let us know! 👍

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
Ok, that worked! So the reason I didn't initially make the first post as a table, was because the forum had a 10-column limit, and the table was wider than that. It looks like if you edit the BBCode directly, it will allow >10 columns.

The first post is already a Wiki (A moderator must have changed it on our behalf?) - So I'll copy/paste the spreadsheet data into a forum table when I have a bit of time, and anyone can update it after that. 👍

i486dx2-66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 25, 2013
So I'll copy/paste the spreadsheet data into a forum table when I have a bit of time,
I found a website that converts Excel data directly to forum BBCode, so that was easier than expected!

Let me know if you see any issues with the format, otherwise, feel free to make direct edits from here on! 👍

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I forget, is there a way to make MacRumors use the full width of the browser window without using AdBlocker? On one of my Macs I have full width but not on the rest of them.

Reactions: Ener Ji

cinedog

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Thanks @i486dx2-66 for making this thread! I have also been searching for HiDPI Retina monitors and stumbled across the Kuycon G27x. From the looks of it, $699.99 + free shipping from ClickClack.io is still cheaper than these Alibaba displays. Ordering from Alibaba usually incurs high shipping fees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.