Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah, I'm not seeing Purify in the app store, or any content blockers for that matter. Not yet, anyways.

Apple is most likely slowly rolling them out until the server traffic gets better. People were getting "upgrade failed" messages when trying to upgrade to 9.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Apple is most likely slowly rolling them up until the server traffic gets better. People were getting "upgrade failed" messages when trying to upgrade to 9.

Mine is not yet reviewed in iTunes Connect, and I know I'm not alone.

I've been trying Crystal, which is out now, and it's very good.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Got Crystal all set up. Holy crap does it work!

Before you enable it, go to a TechCrunch article, let it load, exit out, enable Crystal, then go back to Safari and refresh the article.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
How do these blockers work? Are they like desktop blockers such as AdBlock Plus/uBlock Origin, or are they like the old ad blockers for iOS8 and older, where they tunneled all your data through some proxy?

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I am currently using Crystal. And boy, does it make a difference! Tested it with iMore, since I knew it always takes a lot of time to load. With the adblocker enabled, that website literally flies in Safari. It's incredible! You don't know half how much I love Apple for having iOS 9 support 'content blockers'. Of course they knew most of these content blockers were going to be adblockers.

And I think it's good that they've done this. Not entirely to mock website owners because of all their ads. But also so they will realize that the current ad model just doesn't work. Especially with sites like iMore. It's just ridiculuous how slow it loads with all those ads. They're going to have their game changed if they want to prevent people from using adblockers.

Reactions: ipedro

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
How do these blockers work? Are they like desktop blockers such as AdBlock Plus/uBlock Origin, or are they like the old ad blockers for iOS8 and older, where they tunneled all your data through some proxy?

Former. They are actually even better than browser extensions, because those use JavaScript calls whereas iOS content blocking is done with bytecode and Safari is doing the blocking itself. All these apps are doing is sending a blocklist to Safari, which they can update from time to time.

Reactions: marvz

garlicbread24

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
is crystal the only one available right now? I tried it and works wonderfully. Is purify available for anyone yet?

Prabas

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2010
Europe
Can anyone give me a webpage with tons of ads? I want to try how this blocking thing works.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
crystal not working on my iPhone 6. I'm on 9.1 in case that makes a difference. the other ones work perfectly via TestFlight

DeathBecomesMe

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
Anyone know off hand of a site with some of those horrific center layer adds with the tiniest x in the corner?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.