Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
In terms of reporting map issues, the method is seemingly unchanged from iOS 13.

And MozMan...guess what I did NOT find? Yep...entrance edits! Well, kind of. If you're on a POI card for a place that is already on the map...I can't find an option to edit entrances. You can "refine" the location of a marker, but you can't edit the entrances to said location. If you want to edit entrances...you have to tap the "i" in the top right corner to add a missing place...and then it gets even more specific than that. Under "Missing Place Type" you have to select "Street or Address". From there, you can edit location AND entrances.
You can edit the Arrival Entrance location for existing POI already in iOS 13.

Tap the big "Direction" button on a POI card. Under the options for directions, tap on "Report an Issue", and then "Arrival Entrance". You can then relocate the arrival entrance that the navigation directs to.
[automerge]1593108232[/automerge]
Me too. Does anybody have a guess of when we might see the new, more detailed maps, for the first batch of “beyond the US” countries? Would it be when iOS 14 launches in September, or?
Map updates are handled in the cloud and are completely independent of iOS version. There won't be any update to download, the new maps will just be there when you open the Maps app after they are released.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
You can edit the Arrival Entrance location for existing POI already in iOS 13.

Tap the big "Direction" button on a POI card. Under the options for directions, tap on "Report an Issue", and then "Arrival Entrance". You can then relocate the arrival entrance that the navigation directs to.
[automerge]1593108232[/automerge]

Map updates are handled in the cloud and are completely independent of iOS version. There won't be any update to download, the new maps will just be there when you open the Maps app after they are released.

Maps briefly had a multiple entrance option in early betas last year including options for entrances specific to walking, auto, etc.

And yes, while Maps updates are server side, many options are iOS specific and not accessible to all folks if released during the beta period like some during the iOS13 beta (eta as an example). Apple also tends to coincide major map releases with iOS releases when possible to consolidate the announcement on new features.

Many Map area pre-releases are also sometimes only available to beta users and not the general public.

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
From Reddit: Siri will say something like, “20 mph speed camera ahead...please drive carefully.”

a12603a201b11346f0966f2489b4bb81.jpg

Reactions: Jxdawg

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
From Reddit: Siri will say something like, “20 mph speed camera ahead...please drive carefully.”

a12603a201b11346f0966f2489b4bb81.jpg
Hmm. Almost a shame that I don't drive anywhere that has speed cameras 😂 Apple mentioned red light cameras as well. There's two sides to that one. My town never had them. The surrounding towns...banned them after lawsuits. (Ya know...nothing about "safety". All about revenue)! So I won't be seeing these on the map in my area. However, once I cross the county line to go to work...they have red light cameras. I have yet to see them on the Maps.

I'm thinking about sending a bug report about it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug...or if its just not available in the area I'm in yet (which is the case for the cycling directions).

Also, to talk about Look Around. I've read that Miami may be the next release. Just FYI.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hmm. Almost a shame that I don't drive anywhere that has speed cameras 😂 Apple mentioned red light cameras as well. There's two sides to that one. My town never had them. The surrounding towns...banned them after lawsuits. (Ya know...nothing about "safety". All about revenue)! So I won't be seeing these on the map in my area. However, once I cross the county line to go to work...they have red light cameras. I have yet to see them on the Maps.

I'm thinking about sending a bug report about it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's a bug...or if its just not available in the area I'm in yet (which is the case for the cycling directions).

Also, to talk about Look Around. I've read that Miami may be the next release. Just FYI.

Yeah...we don't have any of that stuff in Michigan either. You don't even need a hood on your car here. No tolls...75 mph speed limit in places...I get up to 100 mph and hope everyone just gets out of my way!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah...we don't have any of that stuff in Michigan either. You don't even need a hood on your car here. No tolls...75 mph speed limit in places...I get up to 100 mph and hope everyone just gets out of my way!
I'm on the literal edge of the suburbs. I take I-90 to and from work. Out here, the speed limit is 70. As you can imagine...no one goes 70 😂 Heck, I see people who are easily doing 90+...and they have been PASSED BY COPS! I do about 80 on the way to work. But I'm driving at 5:15 in the morning and I get off the highway before you hit the backups from the traffic going to Chicago. Most of my drive is enjoyed on open highway, especially now since people are working from home!

Do you have the "smart highways" over there? I would actually be really interested if Apple could work with IDOT on a way to somehow integrate data from that. Likely? Probably not. But I think it could be interesting.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
The speed limit’s 30, but the next block has a speed camera set to 20??
Could be a bug. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s legitimate. There’s an open country road a few miles from me that does not have a posted speed limit...which means the limit is actually 55. However, the road eventually becomes a residential area with a speed limit of 30. The only warning you get of the 25mph drop in the limit...is the “Speed Limit 30” sign which marks where it starts. There is no advance notice of it. If there was a camera there (there isn’t) and it was reflected on the map...it would look just as weird.

Now that I think of it...I have no idea why there isn’t a sign way ahead that warns you 😂 There really should be...

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Could be a bug. But it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s legitimate. There’s an open country road a few miles from me that does not have a posted speed limit...which means the limit is actually 55. However, the road eventually becomes a residential area with a speed limit of 30. The only warning you get of the 25mph drop in the limit...is the “Speed Limit 30” sign which marks where it starts. There is no advance notice of it. If there was a camera there (there isn’t) and it was reflected on the map...it would look just as weird.

Now that I think of it...I have no idea why there isn’t a sign way ahead that warns you 😂 There really should be...
Yea that like going from PA to VA. This one stretch is ridiculous. I think it varies from 25 to 50 and changes every five minutes or less. Don't think there were any cameras though.

Reactions: Jxdawg and iOS Geek

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Yea that like going from PA to VA. This one stretch is ridiculous. I think it varies from 25 to 50 and changes every five minutes or less. Don't think there were any cameras though.
That just sounds annoying!

Also, I have the day off today, so I'm thinking of doing a deep dive into Maps since I'm on the beta. I already have a few posts on this thread with screenshots, but if anyone wants something that I didn't already cover, let me know and I'll see what I can find. Just an FYI though...I did NOT download the beta for macOS Big Sur, so I won't be able to cover anything from the Mac. (I'm looking forward to that one though since they used Catalyst for Maps. macOS Maps will finally have the indoor maps and Look Around features)!

I do have iOS and iPadOS 14 though, so I can do those no problem.

Reactions: compwiz1202

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
According to TechCrunch, Look Around is coming to Seattle, WA on Monday and also major Japanese cities this autumn. Can someone update the WikiPost about this? I don’t have the required permissions to do so.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Those I agree are ridiculous along with red light cameras combined with yellow times way too low for the speed limit.

That's a problem we have here in New York City. The yellow times are too short. The City will argue that the yellow time is based on the speed for the area, and unfortunately, the default speed limit across New York City is a lousy 25 miles per hour. I'm accustomed to longer yellows from more suburban areas.

The yellow is supposed to give you a chance to get through the intersection if you're too close to the intersection, or going too fast to stop safely. But the threats of cameras just causes people to slam on their brakes. There's nothing overtly dangerous about a car passing through just as the light turns red if they were unable to stop safely. It's the reason why the standard traffic light programming ensures a waiting period of around three seconds from a light turning red before another light at the intersection turns green. To make sure the trailing cars have cleared the intersection before the cross traffic can go.

I once got a red light camera ticket in Nassau County, Long Island. $150. The ticket had the photograph, and the camera said the light was red for 0.01 seconds when I crossed the boundary line into the intersection while making a right turn.

0.01 seconds. Impossible for the human eye to have seen the light change, as I was already in the process of turning. I never even saw the light change to yellow, as there was only *one* traffic signal governing right turns there, and it was suspended high above the entrance to the intersection. I fought the ticket in court, and was laughed out by the judge. I provided photographic evidence that the signal was horribly placed, and that there was no way I could look up at the signal while simultaneously looking ahead to where I was turning, as it's a blind turn, onto a road where traffic often backs up, and you run the risk of rear-ending a car there if you don't pay attention.

I was forced to pay the fine. I vowed never to shop in Nassau County again. No way in hell I'd ever give them my tax dollars. Any decent human being would've thrown out a red light camera ticket for 0.01 seconds....

improvemaps

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2019
I wonder what Look Around coming to major Japanese cities this autumn means for the rollout of the new maps in the country. I mean, they didn’t mention anything about a rollout there during the WWDC Keynote. Perhaps the new maps will only be available in those specific cities, which could explain why it wasn’t mentioned during the Keynote. Or maybe just Look Around? But I guess that wouldn’t make sense since that would make them unable to show for example Look Around images for roads that don’t show up on the old map. In other words the road layout wouldn’t be consistent across the normal map view and Look Around.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
That's a problem we have here in New York City. The yellow times are too short. The City will argue that the yellow time is based on the speed for the area, and unfortunately, the default speed limit across New York City is a lousy 25 miles per hour. I'm accustomed to longer yellows from more suburban areas.

The yellow is supposed to give you a chance to get through the intersection if you're too close to the intersection, or going too fast to stop safely. But the threats of cameras just causes people to slam on their brakes. There's nothing overtly dangerous about a car passing through just as the light turns red if they were unable to stop safely. It's the reason why the standard traffic light programming ensures a waiting period of around three seconds from a light turning red before another light at the intersection turns green. To make sure the trailing cars have cleared the intersection before the cross traffic can go.

I once got a red light camera ticket in Nassau County, Long Island. $150. The ticket had the photograph, and the camera said the light was red for 0.01 seconds when I crossed the boundary line into the intersection while making a right turn.

0.01 seconds. Impossible for the human eye to have seen the light change, as I was already in the process of turning. I never even saw the light change to yellow, as there was only *one* traffic signal governing right turns there, and it was suspended high above the entrance to the intersection. I fought the ticket in court, and was laughed out by the judge. I provided photographic evidence that the signal was horribly placed, and that there was no way I could look up at the signal while simultaneously looking ahead to where I was turning, as it's a blind turn, onto a road where traffic often backs up, and you run the risk of rear-ending a car there if you don't pay attention.

I was forced to pay the fine. I vowed never to shop in Nassau County again. No way in hell I'd ever give them my tax dollars. Any decent human being would've thrown out a red light camera ticket for 0.01 seconds....
Where I live, the lights are yellow for 5-6 seconds. Chicago is about half that. I've driven in Chicago countless times and it was something I NEVER thought about until someone mentioned that the lights are shorter there. Driving down there one day, I actually counted once it turned yellow and sure enough...yep, they're shorter! Yellow lights feel like an eternity where I am, especially when the person in front of you stops as soon as it turns because some people believe that the yellow light means the same as red. Yet in the time you sat through that yellow light, the person in front of you...you...and maybe three cars behind you could have made it through!

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Exactly. I wouldn't mind red light cameras if they didn't kick in for maybe a half second or whatever would be reasonable so that if it caught you, there was no way you were already breaking the plane of the beginning of the intersection.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Exactly. I wouldn't mind red light cameras if they didn't kick in for maybe a half second or whatever would be reasonable so that if it caught you, there was no way you were already breaking the plane of the beginning of the intersection.

Yes. Cameras should deter people from "running" red lights, as in driving through an intersection when you shouldn't be, or creating a dangerous situation for drivers who actually do have permission to proceed. Passing through the intersection when the light has been red for 0.000000000000001 microseconds, and sending you a bill, is just a money grab.

There's an intersection in Brooklyn where there's a very difficult left turn to make. The left turn lane is way too short for the volume of cars needing to turn left there, and the dedicated turn arrow is also not green for long enough. A few cars always end up making the turn anyway just after the signal turns red, just to help the line along.

So the City set up a red light camera there. You can stand there on the corner and watch that thing go off all day. People are so scared of that camera that even when the turn arrow is still green, they're already braking. They know the yellow won't give them enough time to stop (it's barely 2.5 seconds), and they don't want a ticket. So the camera actually scares the motorists into crawling through, it screws up the traffic flow, and actually causes more congestion. And the longer people sit in ridiculous traffic like that, the angrier they become, and the more likely they are to do something dangerous to get out of the traffic and get to freedom.

The entire New York City Department of Transportation seems to operate on the principle of enraging drivers for "safety". But angry drivers are not safe drivers.

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Did Apple actually say that or was it more a conversation about what countries were being mapped?

UK/Ireland were definitely being mapped shortly after they were mostly through the USA on their first pass...Canada as well, but Australia was ahead of Italy as far as I can remember. Japan too.

Japan and Italy are a lot more complicated than Australia (maybe we'll get New Zealand as well?).

Australia is a lot bigger too, even if it is a lot of nothing ;-)

(Google has mapped most of it though, and has Street View imagery for rural and remote Australia)

You can even see on the Image Collection site that some areas are whole states (Tasmania, Queensland, Australian Capital Territory), and some are just the capital cities (Melbourne/Adelaide/Sydney).

Of course some mapping has already finished according to the published timeframe, while some is ongoing through to the end of 2020 - I guess 'new maps' could be launched in some areas/states first like the US (considering that Tasmania/Adelaide/Melbourne & the ACT have been completed) rather than wait for the whole country to be done.

--

Australia still doesn't have speed limits either - they appeared in iOS 11b3-b4, but since removed and haven't made a return since.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
Being in the UK. How will I know when we get the 'new maps'? Is there any visual difference?

I am running the beta and can't see any difference at the moment.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Being in the UK. How will I know when we get the 'new maps'? Is there any visual difference?

Maps and iOS are not entirely linked. Maps features are linked to the iOS version (like the cycling directions) but the maps themselves are independent. Because Apple hasn't activated/rolled out the new updated map of UK/Ireland it won't be visible in iOS 14 (or 13) yet.

Reactions: 0014

MecPro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
London

As the other post says the two aren’t linked.

There will be an update splash

Reactions: 0014

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Maps and iOS are not entirely linked. Maps features are linked to the iOS version (like the cycling directions) but the maps themselves are independent. Because Apple hasn't activated/rolled out the new updated map of UK/Ireland it won't be visible in iOS 14 (or 13) yet.

So I am still on iOS 13 and was driving around Southampton via CarPlay earlier this week and the map looked new to me....entirely different to how it has been over recent times. Every patch of grass was green, even small sections adjacent to roads and footpaths shown in larger green areas in locations where they had not been shown before. These changes don’t appear on the iOS maps app, only in CarPlay.

I will take some comparison photos when I can and post here for peoples thoughts.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
So I am still on iOS 13 and was driving around Southampton via CarPlay earlier this week and the map looked new to me....entirely different to how it has been over recent times. Every patch of grass was green, even small sections adjacent to roads and footpaths shown in larger green areas in locations where they had not been shown before. These changes don’t appear on the iOS maps app, only in CarPlay.

I will take some comparison photos when I can and post here for peoples thoughts.

That’s how it starts...the first areas of the UK will probably be released in July at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.