Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes sir, I love my midnight 13 mini as well, just love it. With the poor sales of the 14 Plus, Apple might bring back a smaller size iPhone into the line up. The 5.8” size sold well in the past. 5.4” to 5.8” screen size is the sweet spot for me personally. Apple will probably have learnt that they just need to produce a lower number of the mini iPhones, then they can maintain a decent profit as well as providing an actual small iPhone option for people like us, then everyone is happy.
Yeah, exactly my thoughts, maybe just update the mini to the 5.8” size, and refrain from marketing it as “mini”, because that name might push some people away.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes sir, I love my midnight 13 mini as well, just love it. With the poor sales of the 14 Plus, Apple might bring back a smaller size iPhone into the line up. The 5.8” size sold well in the past. 5.4” to 5.8” screen size is the sweet spot for me personally. Apple will probably have learnt that they just need to produce a lower number of the mini iPhones, then they can maintain a decent profit as well as providing an actual small iPhone option for people like us, then everyone is happy.

Great to here and I fully agree.

Moreover the recent rumor and crash of the Xr being re-used as the next SE model being annexed gives further reason that Apple could reconsider the 12/13 mini production line with either small adjustments:

1 camera vs 2
Touch ID on the sleep/wake button and rid of the FaceID or combine both. This will offer a MUCH cheaper cost for any R&D to recoup, while avoiding re-initiating a production line that is already cancelled over 2yrs ago.
Lowering a 12 mini with above adjustments with a retail cost starting at 349/399 will fit with a 64GB storage and an A14 chip to further reduce per unit production costs.

That all said Apple can keep the 13 mini in the lineup for another 1yr reducing the costs and to reír 512GB storage. Maybe even update the A series chip and relaunch as a 15/16 mini unit. I’d seriously love that.

Considering Sony is rumored to relaunch their Compact smartphone line in Japan, and with another phone released in android with same screen size clearly there is a market. Apple just needs to research more.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Great to here and I fully agree.

Moreover the recent rumor and crash of the Xr being re-used as the next SE model being annexed gives further reason that Apple could reconsider the 12/13 mini production line with either small adjustments:

1 camera vs 2
Touch ID on the sleep/wake button and rid of the FaceID or combine both. This will offer a MUCH cheaper cost for any R&D to recoup, while avoiding re-initiating a production line that is already cancelled over 2yrs ago.
Lowering a 12 mini with above adjustments with a retail cost starting at 349/399 will fit with a 64GB storage and an A14 chip to further reduce per unit production costs.

That all said Apple can keep the 13 mini in the lineup for another 1yr reducing the costs and to reír 512GB storage. Maybe even update the A series chip and relaunch as a 15/16 mini unit. I’d seriously love that.

Considering Sony is rumored to relaunch their Compact smartphone line in Japan, and with another phone released in android with same screen size clearly there is a market. Apple just needs to research more.
I highly doubt it, new single camera and touch id is additional RD, they are more likely to profit by advertising mini as is in a form of SE with new chips obviously.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I highly doubt it, new single camera and touch id is additional RD, they are more likely to profit by advertising mini as is in a form of SE with new chips obviously.
I’ve actually stated that.

The RD cost is very minimal to either keep FaceID or to use touch button from last years iPad. Fill in 1 hole or not make one in the back plate during manufacturing. Very easy.

Folding of the OLED would remain just the bezel will not include the process for Face ID.

Reactions: ctjack

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Increasing the size would push me away...
I know but consider that the 5.8" screen size with Flat edges will at least be slightly more compact than the rounded edges of the X,XS and 11 Pro. We have to be a bit realistic as how Apple will approach this, but the 5.8" size did sell well in the past, so it is probably something they must be considering.

MBAir2010

macrumors 604
May 30, 2018
there
is the 12 mini the same as the 13 mini?

I had the option to purchase either one
and my dumb superstitious ism
told me to get the 12

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
They are the same, but think of 13 mini as a well polished 12 mini - 2hrs more battery, less heat with 5g, faster speeds of 5g, camera is from 12 pro max.
To also add to the list:

A15 chip vs A14
Base capacity 128GB vs 64GB
Screen brightness 800 vs 625 nits
Sensor shift-optical vs optical stabilization
Cinematic mode inclusion
Smaller notch

A comparison here from the Apple site.

Form me, coming from an much older phone the hardware upgrade was quite substantial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.