Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I agree that flat sides are better. But here there is another element: how "sharp" are the corners? I felt the iPhone 5 series was too sharp, and just a little uncomfortable. The 4 series somehow avoided this: probably because the phone was a little thicker and it mitigated it. The mini has JUST ENOUGH curvature. But it's moot for me anyway: I've got a case, as I mentioned above.

Perfection? The iPhone 5c.

One of the things I didn't like about the 5 series (including the SE 2016) was that it was too light. It didn't give the impression of solidity, felt like a prop. I know, who cares. This is something that makes an impression subconsciously. I paid hundreds of dollars for a piece of tech: at some level I want to FEEL it. It's not really lightness that's the thing, but density. The 4 was the very best in this regard: the materials used made it feel like a real, solid piece of tech. It was reassuring.

(in fact, that's another reason I went with the 5c instead of the 5S back in the day: it was just a little heavier, and it made a big difference)

I like the weight of the 13 just fine, much better than the 5 series. And I agree with the comment about the glass being grippy and secure. I like that (or would sans case).

You know what iPhone also had really secure, perfect materials that gave you a great grip with no case help? The iPhone 5c.
Agreed, the iPhone 5c is the most comfortable iPhone I have, and the only iPhone I’ve ever used caseless. Even now, regardless of the outdated iOS version and 8GB of storage, the things that bother me the most are two: lack of raise to wake, and lack of Touch ID. With those two things, it would be the perfect portable device. It’s totally grippy and perfectly portable. And it has a headphone jack!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I really like the 14 Pro and had one for a week or so. It's dumb of me, I know, but I can't get over how ridiculous the cameras look.

Plus, it's just so cumbersome and unwieldy. I'm sure I'd eventually get used to it, but the mini just feels so right.
Yah mini is great. It’s too bad there’s no such thing as a perfect phone. There’s l always something you sacrifice.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ve gotten a 13 mini and this is the last chance I’m giving to this model and any OLED iPhone. I’m going to try it for a month, and see if PWM is as bad as with the previous ones.

I would really like it to be easy on my eyes, because it has a nice and uniform screen, and this color -midnight- is definitely my favorite of all.

If this time I get sore eyes again, I’ll wait for the upcoming iPhone SE, hoping for it to have an LCD screen.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I’ve gotten a 13 mini and this is the last chance I’m giving to this model and any OLED iPhone. I’m going to try it for a month, and see if PWM is as bad as with the previous ones.

I would really like it to be easy on my eyes, because it has a nice and uniform screen, and this color -midnight- is definitely my favorite of all.

If this time I get sore eyes again, I’ll wait for the upcoming iPhone SE, hoping for it to have an LCD screen.
Try the 16.2 beta so you can get an idea of where things are heading; I find they’ve really smoothed out some of the 13 mini’s OLED kinks on later builds of iOS 16.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I have had to return other OLED iPhones (a XS and more recently a 14 Pro) in the past, but I’ve had a pretty good time with my 13 mini, and 12 before it. Actually the mini is probably the best phone I’ve ever owned.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Try the 16.2 beta so you can get an idea of where things are heading; I find they’ve really smoothed out some of the 13 mini’s OLED kinks on later builds of iOS 16.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you. I have had to return other OLED iPhones (a XS and more recently a 14 Pro) in the past, but I’ve had a pretty good time with my 13 mini, and 12 before it. Actually the mini is probably the best phone I’ve ever owned.
I’m actually interested in testing iOS 16.2 on the iPhone 13 mini and the M2 iPad Pro but I don’t want to register myself or the devices on the beta program.

Would simply downloading the IPSW and installing it manually work?

PS: I find a bit hard to believe that they can solve the PWM by software tweaking. This is purely a display hardware issue, right? Do you think it could be placebo effect?

Reactions: sorgo †

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I’m actually interested in testing iOS 16.2 on the iPhone 13 mini and the M2 iPad Pro but I don’t want to register myself or the devices on the beta program.

Would simply downloading the IPSW and installing it manually work?

PS: I find a bit hard to believe that they can solve the PWM by software tweaking. This is purely a display hardware issue, right? Do you think it could be placebo effect?
I don’t think it’s the PWM that’s been tweaked; more like something with the scrolling—I don’t know. On-screen motion, particularly scrolling, just feels smoother than before when it would cause more-than-mild eye irritation in certain lighting conditions, especially with extended use.

On pretty much every released (beta) build of iOS 16.1-16.2 this scrolling-in-certain-lighting issue has been far better for my eyes. Perhaps I’ve just adjusted to it, perhaps it’s actually improved. But either way it may be worth a shot to get your 13 mini on the latest available build in order to gauge whether the phone suits you—especially since you’re on a limited timeframe.

As for installing it, yeah maybe just grab the IPSW or use the developer profile from a reliable source (my preferred method). Shoot me a DM if you’re having trouble. :)

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
When I traded my XS for regular 12, I regretted it due to increased size. De XS was basically perfect and I liked the stainless rounded sides. Now I've been using 13 Mini for the past three month, caseless for the first time in a long while, and it is almost that XS feeling again. It's a little sharper and I love my new MagSafe Wallet and charger that I got with it.

Using it without a case is key to making it one of my favourites it seems. Previous examples were the 7 and 7 Plus both Jet Black which are all-time favourites of mine. But size matters most in the end. Smaller and lighter is most comfortable IMO. Shame phones got so big and heavy lately, would hate the bulk of the Pro models.

Reactions: Lioness~

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
Journey the past few months:

- Went from 13 Mini to my 13 Pro Max (work-relevant need)
- Got a 14 Pro Max at launch
- OMG so heavyyyy
- Went to a regular 14
- Pretty nice, but… what am I really getting here?
- Purchased a new 13 Mini, with AppleCare for the first time like *ever*

So happy with the Mini, it's really my absolute favorite size. ❤️

Reactions: Lioness~ and mikext

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
I know some people like them and it's great for choice but, for me, it would be almost unusable. Ever since I went with the first Pro Max size anything smaller seems like phone for toys.

nStyle

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2009
Loved the 13 Mini except for the fact that I could visibly see flickering on white screens and dark ones as well. I’ve never noticed that on any other iPhone. Must be my eyes but I couldn’t live with it.

Also I really wish it had 120hz.

Hoping for a Mini 15 or 16 with 120hz and dynamic island.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Regarding the comments about eye strain, I agree, that’s why I changed the display zoom feature to larger text (previously named zoomed) and simply got used to having less real estate. I do think the larger icons on the Home Screen looks better zoomed, btw.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I know some people like them and it's great for choice but, for me, it would be almost unusable. Ever since I went with the first Pro Max size anything smaller seems like phone for toys.

In my experience any size iPhone can feel normal pretty quickly. Maybe Max to Mini is too big a step in one go though.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I’ve had my Mini since launch. Best iPhone I’ve had so far.

What I like:
- Small size truly allows me to use one-handed. Especially good when I’m holding a coffee, walking the dogs, etc.

- Battery is surprisingly good.

Usual bugbears though:

- Wish it had the Pro cameras.
- Battery life is better on the other models.
- Documents are hard to read. Minor annoyance, because they’d be hard to read on a Max as well, but less so.

At this point, I can’t see why the regular 14 even exists. They don’t really show more on-screen, and font sizes are marginally larger. At least the 14 Pro has the pro camera.

If I had to choose one today, it would be between the 13 Mini and 14 Pro Max. The Mini would still be my preference.

mikext

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Dallas
The battery life is the biggest con for me and the only reason I'd think about switching to another model.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
As opposed to a tablet lol
It's insane that there is now no offering for a phone that people can use one handed
It’s an immeasurably useful feature for me, and it’s a constant.

People talk about the worse battery life, difficulty typing 2-handed, worse media/video experience, etc, but if you’re a busy person and don’t always have both hands free to type a message, or search the web or maps (e.g. when I’m with my kids), the phone becomes unusable unless numerous concessions were made to make it work.

I can live with the poorer video watching experience, as it would still play videos just the same.

Maybe if I used my phone less often while on the move, I’d get the Pro Max (my other preference). That, or my eyes get worse (though luckily I’m near-sighted, not far-sighted like everyone else over 40).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.