Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Taub

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Miami Beach FL
Despite the 13 mini price remaining at 809 euros here in france I decided a couple weeks ago to trade in my 2020 SE and bought a base model 128gb model...red, of course. :cool:

Bought it on 11 november. In use I find it better than the SE in all the ways it could be. Better, bigger screen. A bit faster all around functionally. The size and weight are what I needed and wanted. And for how I use it, the battery is lasting me an easy day and a half. I'm a light-ish user. I'm really liking the additon of a wide angle lens. There is more. It's just the perfect upgrade for me.

I was hemming and hawing about this for a long time. Almost went with the 2022 SE. But for about 150 euros more decided to try the 13 mini. I'm glad I did. I will keep this for a long time now. Maybe 5 years. Maybe longer if I'm still around. Hey, at 68 you never know.

Also. I am now using the same/similar gestures that I use on my ipad mini 6 tablet. So that helps.

I do have an older SE as backup. I think it's a 2015 model. 128gb. 4 inch screen. Now using that gets confusing sometimes.

Ok. That's all I got. If apple ever introduces a new version of the 13 mini in 2, 4, 6 years, I'd consider it. All these bigger phones ain't for me.

Not sure this link will work. But it is a review I felt dealt with the details of the SE 'problems'. Of course, they may not be problems for many. The 13 mini solves most of these for me. But honestly, for the 2 years I used the 2020 SE I was quite happy with it.

SE review

Last edited:

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
“but the sad part is that it's the last of its kind.”

Can someone please post an official statement from Apple that this is true?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
“but the sad part is that it's the last of its kind.”

Can someone please post an official statement from Apple that this is true?
It’s conjecture as there is no 14 Mini. No one can definitively say we’ve seen the last Mini.

Reactions: Lioness~

SteveJawbs

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2022
It’s conjecture as there is no 14 Mini. No one can definitively say we’ve seen the last Mini.

It’s weird when people make statements like that that are completely unverifiable. No trolling or offense to OP. But no one knows but Apple itself.

I’m one of the many people in panic mode over the future of small iPhones. I don’t think they will kill off a device that can be used one handed comfortably. But if they do I’ll be using it much less. Using two hands is just so foreign and unbearable to me. Same feeling using an iPhone without a case or anti glare screen protector. I’ll never understand it.

If only the mini didn’t have the notch - it could be the GOAT.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I have a 13 mini and find that it gets just a bit warm on the back with regular use- and when using tapatalk for this forum it gets downright hot.

I had tried an SE 2022 for a few weeks and it remained cool as a cucumber with most use, only getting slightly warm when using tapatalk.

Not sure why since they have the same processor!

I really like the 13 mini, it’s the perfect phone.. but I’m impressed with the SE as really almost perfect as well, I see it as s mini with just a few minor compromises. The camera, which is just as good in daylight, but struggles in low light and doesn’t have night mode- no ultra wide lens for those who actually use that one (I don’t as it’s pretty low quality), and the smaller lower resolution screen that fits slightly less content but it renders text snd icons larger than on the mini.

I was truly torn, the SE is a fantastic phone and I see it as a plus that it doesn’t have an oled display due to how bad pwm flicker can be for people- and that it costs less.

I ultimately landed with the mini as I really like the form factor- it truly feels great in the hand.

I’ve had some minor pwm sensitivity on other phones so I am concerned about eye health using this one, but to be fair in two weeks of using this I don’t think I’m having any issues.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What are you using as a substitute- the SE?
I’m still hanging onto an old iPhone 8, I still haven’t decided any route forward yet. Probably I’ll wait until the SE 4 in 2024, hoping that Apple chooses the 5.7” LCD screen.

If Apple finally chooses a 6.1” LCD screen, I’ll try to adapt to that size. If OLED is finally the chosen technology, I’ll get a iPhone SE 2022 or maybe switch to GrapheneOS on a compact LCD Android device.

mikext

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I have a 13 mini and find that it gets just a bit warm on the back with regular use- and when using tapatalk for this forum it gets downright hot.

I just recently started getting a message saying my "phone will continue charging when it returns to a normal temperature" this weekend after charging it while using Google Maps.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I just recently started getting a message saying my "phone will continue charging when it returns to a normal temperature" this weekend after charging it while using Google Maps.
I’ve only ever had that message appear once on my 12 Mini and I was playing Alien Isolation at the time which is a AAA first person game that is very taxing on the phone.

Your ambient room temperature must have been ridiculously high.

mikext

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I’ve only ever had that message appear once on my 12 Mini and I was playing Alien Isolation at the time which is a AAA first person game that is very taxing on the phone.

Your ambient room temperature must have been ridiculously high.
I was in my car but I didn't have the heat on and it wasn't hot outside... I guess charging the phone while listening to a podcast and running google maps all at once did the trick?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I was in my car but I didn't have the heat on and it wasn't hot outside... I guess charging the phone while listening to a podcast and running google maps all at once did the trick?
Yes, it must’ve did the trick. My MagSafe battery stops charging automatically with no warning messages when my phone becomes too hot. MagSafe does cause a lot of heat though but it’s a fairly rare thing to happen on a tethered charger. I wouldn’t worry about it, obviously the phone did become too hot and the failsafes were activated.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2006
just picked up the 12 mini for $1 a month from ATT (no trade in req), it'll be my extra weekend phone in addition to my 13 pro, loving this lil guy

Reactions: mikext

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
Just received my iPhone 14 pro today and holy moly this thing is a hunk of junk. I had to resist the urge not to throw it out of frustration so that I can still sell it to some sucker who’s been brainwashed into thinking they want to carry around a heavier version of an iPad mini. Absolutely impossible for an NBA player to use one handed. Selling this garbage ASAP back to the 13 mini I go. The mini is even too large for the worlds largest hand to use one handed. Should be 4” screen MAX.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Just received my iPhone 14 pro today and holy moly this thing is a hunk of junk. I had to resist the urge not to throw it out of frustration so that I can still sell it to some sucker who’s been brainwashed into thinking they want to carry around a heavier version of an iPad mini. Absolutely impossible for an NBA player to use one handed. Selling this garbage ASAP back to the 13 mini I go. The mini is even too large for the worlds largest hand to use one handed. Should be 4” screen MAX.
I too returned a 14 Pro almost immediately and went back to 13 mini. You aren’t alone :)

mikext

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Dallas
I bought the 14 pro. Love it but I still want to keep the mini. As a phone and texting, mini is just perfect. But when I need to read pdfs man… it’s a pain
I really like the 14 Pro and had one for a week or so. It's dumb of me, I know, but I can't get over how ridiculous the cameras look.

Plus, it's just so cumbersome and unwieldy. I'm sure I'd eventually get used to it, but the mini just feels so right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.