Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
So happy with the Mini, it's really my absolute favorite size. ❤️
Agree totally.
My XR also had rounded corners, slipper as soap. Happened all the time that I dropped it. Fortunally not on any harder foundation. The mini fits perfect in my hand and better with its form. It sticks there.

This is what I have an iPad for.
Exactly, no need to have an iPhone as a iPad.
On the go it is good to use iPhone to search things up etc. But h#ll no I'm surfing on it at home.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think this 13 mini I purchased during Black Friday has many possibilities of being my next iPhone, despite the OLED screen.

First, the screen on this 13 mini is one of the most uniform I’ve tried ever (and I’ve tried quite a few since the launch, more than a year ago). The white has mostly the same tone on all the surface.

Second, the screen is pretty easy on my eyes despite the PWM, which is there, but at a frequency that doesn’t strain my eyes as much as other units I’ve tried. I don’t know if it’s related but, watching the screen through a high FPS camera app, on this screen, the black lines barely move, and if they move, they move very slow, which might contribute to less flickering.

Also, it’s interesting how this midnight iPhone doesn’t look black, but deep blue. I know this was always the color shade, but I have the impression that midnight phones nowadays are a bit lighter, so they are noticeably bluer than before. I’ve tried the red, the starlight, the green and the midnight, and midnight is definitely my favorite of all them, followed by starlight and Product(RED).

Once iOS 16.2 gets released, I’ll make this my main smartphone and use it daily until Christmas. If my eyes are still healthy by then, I’ll keep this one.

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I think this 13 mini I purchased during Black Friday has many possibilities of being my next iPhone, despite the OLED screen.

First, the screen on this 13 mini is one of the most uniform I’ve tried ever (and I’ve tried quite a few since the launch, more than a year ago). The white has mostly the same tone on all the surface.

Second, the screen is pretty easy on my eyes despite the PWM, which is there, but at a frequency that doesn’t strain my eyes as much as other units I’ve tried. I don’t know if it’s related but, watching the screen through a high FPS camera app, on this screen, the black lines barely move, and if they move, they move very slow, which might contribute to less flickering.

Also, it’s interesting how this midnight iPhone doesn’t look black, but deep blue. I know this was always the color shade, but I have the impression that midnight phones nowadays are a bit lighter, so they are noticeably bluer than before. I’ve tried the red, the starlight, the green and the midnight, and midnight is definitely my favorite of all them, followed by starlight and Product(RED).

Once iOS 16.2 gets released, I’ll make this my main smartphone and use it daily until Christmas. If my eyes are still healthy by then, I’ll keep this one.
That’s funny, I have the green and I’m crazy for it—prettiest phone, along with the iPhone 5 and iPhone SE, that I’ve owned. Totally agree with your comments about the display though. :)

Did you end up installing 16.2?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I own one. I like it.
But I cannot be ignorant of the fact that eye strain is an issue.
It’s an issue if you have poor eyesight which old people tend to have. Even an iPhone SE1 works fine for me with 8+ hours of screen on time. The Mini seems large in comparison and also gives me zero eyestrain for tasks such as web-browsing or instant messaging.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
That’s funny, I have the green and I’m crazy for it—prettiest phone, along with the iPhone 5 and iPhone SE, that I’ve owned. Totally agree with your comments about the display though. :)

Did you end up installing 16.2?
I’ll install the beta on my iPad Pro, but I‘ll wait for the final release on the iPhone.
I really want to try the external display support on the iPad Pro.

Reactions: sorgo †

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
As opposed to a tablet lol
It's insane that there is now no offering for a phone that people can use one handed
That "some" people can't use one-handed, I'm perfectly able to use my Pro Max with one hand.

Yes, sometimes going from a tablet to a phone has the effect, but again to me, an iPhone Mini is completely unusable. To each, their own but everyone I know has moved to at least the Plus-sized phones.

Reactions: compwiz1202

imdog

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2017
Disneyland
That "some" people can't use one-handed, I'm perfectly able to use my Pro Max with one hand.

Yes, sometimes going from a tablet to a phone has the effect, but again to me, an iPhone Mini is completely unusable. To each, their own but everyone I know has moved to at least the Plus-sized phones.
You can comfortably reach the top corners of the display with one hand? Interact with dynamic island with one hand? I have quite large hands and it's still very difficult to reach the top corners of a Mini's display without completely readjusting my hand. Even NBA players would not be able to do so with a regular Pro, let alone a Pro Max. I am going to call balderdash on that one unless you post a video doing so.

People have moved on to plus sized phones because they are technologically illiterate (or old and can't see) and don't know how to use a computer so they use a phone as their primary computer. And because they're brainwashed by consumerism to maximize corporate profits and sheepishly buy the "bigger & better" thing. The real reason companies hate mini phones is the profit margin is far lower. It's very expensive to miniaturize things, the iPhone mini was a feat of engineering. The entire concept of the phone is miniaturization, we have taken the function of thousands of things that would fill up an entire room and streamlined it into something that fits in the palm of your hand. Miniaturization costs serious coin and it is the apex of design & technology, Steve Jobs was a huge advocate for it. These are no longer hand-helds, they are hands-helds. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave at what the criminal Tim Crook has done to his company. Money hungry vampire who doesn't care about tech.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location

That’s good. For my wife, who appears to suffer from PWM on her 12 Mini (1st time OLED user), I had to use that “trick” with the white point to make the flashing less bad for her.

It probably eats into battery life a little, but she said it was slightly better.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
What trick with the white point is this, never heard of it.
Basically, the idea is that PWM is worse at lower brightness, and better at full brightness. However, if you’re indoors, setting your phone to full brightness is going to hurt your eyes!

One way to solve this is to make everything less bright in general. That way, you can set your screen brighter than usual to reduce PWM, but it won’t be too bright indoors. Downside is that its max brightness outdoors is also less.

Anyway, to do this:

1. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display and text size

2. Go to “Reduce White Point”.

3. Set the bar so that the value is between 30-60%. Find something that works for you.

I don’t suffer from PWM, but I did this for my wife and it worked fairly well.

Attachments

• 61FD2E50-E993-4BED-A1FA-9788E90E75D4.jpeg
    61FD2E50-E993-4BED-A1FA-9788E90E75D4.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 73

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
It’s an issue if you have poor eyesight which old people tend to have. Even an iPhone SE1 works fine for me with 8+ hours of screen on time. The Mini seems large in comparison and also gives me zero eyestrain for tasks such as web-browsing or instant messaging.

Oh really?

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Basically, the idea is that PWM is worse at lower brightness, and better at full brightness. However, if you’re indoors, setting your phone to full brightness is going to hurt your eyes!

One way to solve this is to make everything less bright in general. That way, you can set your screen brighter than usual to reduce PWM, but it won’t be too bright indoors. Downside is that its max brightness outdoors is also less.

Anyway, to do this:

1. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Display and text size

2. Go to “Reduce White Point”.

3. Set the bar so that the value is between 30-60%. Find something that works for you.

I don’t suffer from PWM, but I did this for my wife and it worked fairly well.
Also, @twdawson you can assign this filter (reduce white point) to a triple click of the side button, to lower the brightness quickly whenever you need to.

To do this, you just go to Settings -> Accessibility -> scroll down to almost the last option, to Quick Function. There, you can select “reduce white point” to be enabled by the triple click of the side button.

canadianpj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
You can comfortably reach the top corners of the display with one hand? Interact with dynamic island with one hand? I have quite large hands and it's still very difficult to reach the top corners of a Mini's display without completely readjusting my hand. Even NBA players would not be able to do so with a regular Pro, let alone a Pro Max. I am going to call balderdash on that one unless you post a video doing so.

People have moved on to plus sized phones because they are technologically illiterate (or old and can't see) and don't know how to use a computer so they use a phone as their primary computer. And because they're brainwashed by consumerism to maximize corporate profits and sheepishly buy the "bigger & better" thing. The real reason companies hate mini phones is the profit margin is far lower. It's very expensive to miniaturize things, the iPhone mini was a feat of engineering. The entire concept of the phone is miniaturization, we have taken the function of thousands of things that would fill up an entire room and streamlined it into something that fits in the palm of your hand. Miniaturization costs serious coin and it is the apex of design & technology, Steve Jobs was a huge advocate for it. These are no longer hand-helds, they are hands-helds. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave at what the criminal Tim Crook has done to his company. Money hungry vampire who doesn't care about tech.
If you hold the phone in a certain way it's more than possible to do so. If you don't believe me, that's fine, it does not change the fact that I can. I was calling out the absolute statement because some people, like myself, can use the phone with one hand.

The "criminal" Tim Cook? You appear to have rose-colored glasses to the work of Steve Jobs which isn't realistic.

Here's a fact: If the iPhone Mini sold well enough they would keep making it. Period. Moving on.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I used to get away with the smallest display settings on my Mac to fit more in the screen. I had to accept to use the regular display setting in the last year or so ugh.
Yeah, I’m on that process as well. Nowadays the first thing I do on my iPhone and iPad is set the font size to 120%, except the Lock Screen and notifications, which I set at 110% in order to fit more of them on the same space.

Also, I set Safari web font at 115% by default. But I still use an iPhone 8 comfortably, as well as the iPhone 13 mini. But I’m not gonna lie, I could use a slightly bigger screen, like the one from iPhone XS for instance.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, I’m sad to report that, after another month trying it, iPhone 13 mini won’t be my next iPhone.

The size is really good, and I really like it, but the PWM of the screen is piercing my eyes. I’m using my iPhone 8 and as soon as I change to the iPhone 13 mini I get an instant headache and feel nauseous.

From the bottom of my heart, I can say I’ve tried it since its inception. I’ve tried several units across this last year, and I can assure that my eyes don’t allow me to use this phone. That’s why I’ve purchased an M2 iPad Pro, because I know this will probably be the last LCD iPad Pro.

Now, my hopes are two: the base iPhone 14 (as people say it is much easier on the eyes), or waiting for Apple to release an iPhone SE with an LCD and a modern design, hopefully not too big.

Thanks everyone for walking this path with me, but I have to step down. I really hope you enjoy your compact devices, it is a great form factor.

• Sad

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I know some people like them and it's great for choice but, for me, it would be almost unusable. Ever since I went with the first Pro Max size anything smaller seems like phone for toys.
Yes that already happened with me with the 6+ Someone I knew had the 5 or 5S, and my hand buried it. Couldn't understand how I used to use that size

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Yeah, I’m on that process as well. Nowadays the first thing I do on my iPhone and iPad is set the font size to 120%, except the Lock Screen and notifications, which I set at 110% in order to fit more of them on the same space.

Also, I set Safari web font at 115% by default. But I still use an iPhone 8 comfortably, as well as the iPhone 13 mini. But I’m not gonna lie, I could use a slightly bigger screen, like the one from iPhone XS for instance.
Wow, that bad?! My wife still mostly uses her Surface Go for her emailing, and most occasional browsing at home. The white point thing did help, but...I don't know.

It's hard to gauge how much it actually helped her because she doesn't explain it clearly. She also seems to care less about her PWM sensitivity than I do. 😅😅

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Wow, that bad?!
I think you quoted the wrong message 😅
But yeah, it is not comfortable and I don’t want to regret this purchase.

Next step is check if my hands can handle a 6.1” iPhone, actually using one with a thin case. If not, I know my only hope is getting a 2022 iPhone SE.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
I swear to god, i always loved Mini/Compact smartphones, even beyond Apple products, but after using 12 and 13 Mini, i wont regret to switch to regular size iPhone, i always think 12/13 Mini has the perfect size until i got regular/standard iPhone 13, its bigger but not that big.
And in my family, they all got giant phones like Samsung phones, and i hold one of them, it was 6.5 screen size and surprisingly it wasn't uncomfortable at all, not that big again, extremely well balanced (taller but also narrower than iPhone)
My current 13 Mini finally becomes small despite of being the perfect size from the first time i ve hold it in my hands
Its quite interesting since my hands havent grown up lol
So i am fully confident to find my next iPhone or smartphone without any doubt (most likely iPhone xx pro 6.1)
Rest in peace my beloved 13 Mini (not dead yet, i will keep for years though)

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I swear to god, i always loved Mini/Compact smartphones, even beyond Apple products, but after using 12 and 13 Mini, i wont regret to switch to regular size iPhone, i always think 12/13 Mini has the perfect size until i got regular/standard iPhone 13, its bigger but not that big.
And in my family, they all got giant phones like Samsung phones, and i hold one of them, it was 6.5 screen size and surprisingly it wasn't uncomfortable at all, not that big again, extremely well balanced (taller but also narrower than iPhone)
My current 13 Mini finally becomes small despite of being the perfect size from the first time i ve hold it in my hands
Its quite interesting since my hands havent grown up lol
So i am fully confident to find my next iPhone or smartphone without any doubt (most likely iPhone xx pro 6.1)
Rest in peace my beloved 13 Mini (not dead yet, i will keep for years though)
I really like 13 mini but the immersive screen of regular attracts me more. At least it makes me want to take a photos instead of snaps and i even go as far having an inspiration to edit in Lightroom. When compared to pro max, regular doesn’t loose much in terms of comprehension, while mini’s screen is totally flat for instagram and photos: crowd photo in instagram is just small heads all over the place until you pinch zoom it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you hold the phone in a certain way it's more than possible to do so. If you don't believe me, that's fine, it does not change the fact that I can. I was calling out the absolute statement because some people, like myself, can use the phone with one hand.

The "criminal" Tim Cook? You appear to have rose-colored glasses to the work of Steve Jobs which isn't realistic.

Here's a fact: If the iPhone Mini sold well enough they would keep making it. Period. Moving on.
Apple via Foxconn still makes the 13 mini.

Production is simply reduced, yet not significantly and drastically reduced like the most recently launched iPhone 14 Plus lol. THAT is a true looser of a phone for Apple according to reports.

13 mini's production was reduced 6mths into launch year (2021).
14 Plus production was reduced just 1 month, 30 days into this 2022 launch year cycle.

I LOVE my iPhone 13 mini.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Apple via Foxconn still makes the 13 mini.

Production is simply reduced, yet not significantly and drastically reduced like the most recently launched iPhone 14 Plus lol. THAT is a true looser of a phone for Apple according to reports.

13 mini's production was reduced 6mths into launch year (2021).
14 Plus production was reduced just 1 month, 30 days into this 2022 launch year cycle.

I LOVE my iPhone 13 mini.
Yes sir, I love my midnight 13 mini as well, just love it. With the poor sales of the 14 Plus, Apple might bring back a smaller size iPhone into the line up. The 5.8” size sold well in the past. 5.4” to 5.8” screen size is the sweet spot for me personally. Apple will probably have learnt that they just need to produce a lower number of the mini iPhones, then they can maintain a decent profit as well as providing an actual small iPhone option for people like us, then everyone is happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.