Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I don’t love the notch- but it doesn’t bother me either.

I foresee wallpaper apps having the top with a black line to fill the area in around the notch.

Embrace the notch!

Cl0G9bj.png

[doublepost=1506971024][/doublepost]
I foresee wallpaper apps having the top with a black line to fill the area in around the notch.

I see the opposite, wallpapers made to look like the have a notch. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2017
Embrace the notch!

Cl0G9bj.png

[doublepost=1506971024][/doublepost]

I see the opposite, wallpapers made to look like the have a notch. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Haha, that's brilliant! I can't wait to start embracing that notch

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I like the notch and I am happy they went with a unique design. I would rather them do that then black out the top status bar on each side because I think the extra screen real estate will be a great experience while using the phone. Makes the screen feel much bigger.

You gave zero evidence as to how it equates to extra screen real estate. I imagine the reason is because it FACTUALLY doesn’t.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The only thing I didn't particularly like is that they had to hide battery %age until you pull down notification centre to squeeze all the icons in the two gaps either side, other than that looks fine to me...

Reactions: roeiz

iSayBoourns

Suspended
Sep 15, 2017
You gave zero evidence as to how it equates to extra screen real estate. I imagine the reason is because it FACTUALLY doesn’t.

The notch/ears allow the status info to be moved off the usable screen space. Giving apps more room for vertical space to more content on the screen.

So there goes your “facts”.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don’t love the notch- but it doesn’t bother me either.

I share your thoughts to the notch. I'm neutral towards it and it wouldn't stop me from wanting to purchase the iPhone X. It comes down to the user experience with iOS for me.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Is it just me or does anyone else like the notch at the top of the screen where the FaceTime Camera, sensors etc reside? I think it gives the IPhone X a unique look. Also the alternative would be to have a straight bezel at the top which I think would be more ugly and you would also lose the benefit of the additional bit of screen space on either side of the notch.

I was a critic of the notch but now its looks okay in fact gives a different/good looks on X.

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
Is it just me or does anyone else like the notch at the top of the screen where the FaceTime Camera, sensors etc reside? I think it gives the IPhone X a unique look. Also the alternative would be to have a straight bezel at the top which I think would be more ugly and you would also lose the benefit of the additional bit of screen space on either side of the notch.

Not too fussed i think. If they didn't have a notch, people would start saying they copied samsung s8 , etc ...
I'm not fussed with the notch I can live with it. haha
it's some people that think the design language is flawed, but to be honest phones should be used portrait 95% of the time at least, with the 5% being landscape video watching or so...

especially with the more larger ratio, it's not wise to use it landscape now , the Plus 5.5" models are better for that task.

LiemTa

Suspended
Jun 2, 2014
It would have been ok if they permanently blacked out the notch areas and just had the status indicators but they chose to go strictly against their own design principles and tried to sell it as a 5.8 inch screen

Doing this would mean they ad it they messed up with the notch. Which they would never do, because of their inflated egos.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
Jailbreak and get it permanently black. You could go as far as moving the status bar lower, for that Samsung feel, and leave the screen on either side of the notch permanently switched off. Though I don't know why one would like to do that.

Notch or not, I don't mind as long as the bezels were smaller than previous devices, and they are.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Jailbreak and get it permanently black. You could go as far as moving the status bar lower, for that Samsung feel, and leave the screen on either side of the notch permanently switched off. Though I don't know why one would like to do that.

Notch or not, I don't mind as long as the bezels were smaller than previous devices, and they are.

Yuck no thanks.

I like the unique look of the iPhone X, i've watched plenty of hands on vids and it looks good i don't find the notch to be a distraction, but i guess if you have OCD then probably not the phone for you.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
So now its the notch.

Remember when it was the antenna bands on iPhone 6? and before that is was the glass backs on the iPhone 4?

Apple always push design forward some people hate then come to love it later. It's nothing new so continue to hate the notch.

The iPhone X looks more unique and has a sheer amount of quality in its design from what i can see over any android phone so far. The S8 is the only real challenger here.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
In your opinion. I'd rather have that extra screen on the corners than just a black bar cutting off the top of the screen.

Here's the thing. I was sat downstairs the other night, pitch dark, holding my iphone 8+ and watching video. Just me and me smartphone. In the dark, there is no premium build or colour of glass or bezels. Nothing. Just the screen and the content playing. And as I watched I thought about how different this would be if I was holding an X. In the dark. Because unlike the 8+ I'll know instantly that I'm watching video on the X because all I can see in the dark is the screen and the notch/ears. I know that this is a daft example (sat in the dark) but basic practicality for me screamed "X don't work". Strip away the look and cosmetics with the 8+ and you're left staring at a screen streaming content. Strip away the look and cosmetics of the X and you're left still looking at cosmetics, even with the lights off. Why? Because Apple on the surface appear to want the phone to be distinctive in the wild. And yet how does that have any relevance to me? Sat in my boxers on the sofa whilst the missus and kid sleep upstairs? Why should I have my window to the word distorted by a design that want attention from people that WILL NEVER USE 'MY PHONE' BECAUSE IT'S MY GOD DAMN PHONE.

I'm hoping I've got my point across.

Reactions: bruinsrme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.