Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Not really haters hate. Just people have opinions which is a good thing.

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Here's the thing. I was sat downstairs the other night, pitch dark, holding my iphone 8+ and watching video. Just me and me smartphone. In the dark, there is no premium build or colour of glass or bezels. Nothing. Just the screen and the content playing. And as I watched I thought about how different this would be if I was holding an X. In the dark. Because unlike the 8+ I'll know instantly that I'm watching video on the X because all I can see in the dark is the screen and the notch/ears. I know that this is a daft example (sat in the dark) but basic practicality for me screamed "X don't work". Strip away the look and cosmetics with the 8+ and you're left staring at a screen streaming content. Strip away the look and cosmetics of the X and you're left still looking at cosmetics, even with the lights off. Why? Because Apple on the surface appear to want the phone to be distinctive in the wild. And yet how does that have any relevance to me? Sat in my boxers on the sofa whilst the missus and kid sleep upstairs? Why should I have my window to the word distorted by a design that want attention from people that WILL NEVER USE 'MY PHONE' BECAUSE IT'S MY GOD DAMN PHONE.

I'm hoping I've got my point across.

I had a 6 plus for about one week and returned it for a regular 6. The phone is just way too large to even feel comfortable. When I was in the gym it felt humongous in my pocket. Since then i've never opted for a Plus variant again.

I like larger screens but not at the cost of a humongous body. The iPhone X is providing that very thing i want. Get rid of the bezels give me a larger screen with a smaller body than the Plus sized phones.

Its just the perfect combo for me as well as having the OLED screen. I had the S8 an OLED is the future of screens.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Design is all about opinion anyway. There’s no right or wrong.

Sure Like A Yugo. - Execution
Maybe a Square Wheel - Concept
Hot Water Heater - Naming

Isn’t Sir Jon Ive In Charge Of The Office Of Opinions

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Sure Like A Yugo. - Execution
Maybe a Square Wheel - Concept
Hot Water Heater - Naming

Isn’t Sir Jon Ive In Charge Of The Office Of Opinions

I really don’t think he gets involved with day to day design decisions anymore but putting him in charge for both hardware and software is probably what’s costing the whole company. He’s a industrial designer, not a software guy.

Probably it’s too much for him to handle and make rational decision. When one person deals with too many things, it’s normal to lose focus.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
I had a 6 plus for about one week and returned it for a regular 6. The phone is just way too large to even feel comfortable. When I was in the gym it felt humongous in my pocket. Since then i've never opted for a Plus variant again.

I like larger screens but not at the cost of a humongous body. The iPhone X is providing that very thing i want. Get rid of the bezels give me a larger screen with a smaller body than the Plus sized phones.

Its just the perfect combo for me as well as having the OLED screen. I had the S8 an OLED is the future of screens.

You do what's your right for you. It's personal and that's all that matters. Honestly, I'm gutted about the X because I was hyped for it when it was obvious to everyone that Apple would do a 10th Anni phone. I stayed away from most of the rumours but for me personally, I couldn't get past that notch once it was revealed/confirmed.

I does goes deeper than just the distorted symmetry. I guess it will take some time for UX to sync with the new phone with all devs updating their apps. Availability could push it out into the back end of this year or next. There's uncertainty there. Add to it that I tend to prefer second generation variants of new designs. But I probably would have somehow justified getting one if there was no notch. But hey, no notch means a bezel at the top (even though Apple seem to like the notch because it's now instantly recognisable).

I opted for a 6s+ when it was released, something I swore I wouldn't want or like and within a week wondered how I ever survived on the 'smaller' phones. The look of the phone might be out-dated but I guess to others it's classical. Possibly the last time we get the forehead and chin. But when I'm in the moment, using the phone, I'm not staring at the bezels. I guess that was my epiphnay in the dark.

I can upgrade in 12 months time. I'm hoping either there's a design change in the X or by then, the user experience that is shared in the community is strong enough to make me re-think the notch. Maybe much like the 6s+ in hand, I need to experience it for myself to 'get over it'. But I'm more than content to allow others to do that first.

I do wish I have the OLED screen though. Not fussed on Face ID.

Reactions: akash.nu

jakontil

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
Just believe in apple

No matter what the design

No matter how much you hate it

They’ll all follow in the end and set as benchmarks

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Everyone has their own opinion, which is fair, but I like the notch and the design of the X. Do I wish it wasn't there at all? Sure, but for now we need it because the tech can't live under the screen. I would rather have the current design than black it out and somewhat eliminate the all screen feel of the phone. I have watched all of the hands on videos and I don't see many issues with the X at all. I think it's great.

Reactions: Bane-Thunder

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
(even though Apple seem to like the notch because it's now instantly recognisable).

I do wish I have the OLED screen though. Not fussed on Face ID.

And there you have it.

Which is why i don't think the notch is going anywhere until they figure out a way to do cameras beneath the display.

And right now without the iconic home button Apple needs a way to separate itself from all the other android phones and the notch is undeniably now recognised as an Apple iPhone.

I think the notch has a charm to it personally I really like its design.

Reactions: SR71

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
So now its the notch.

Remember when it was the antenna bands on iPhone 6? and before that is was the glass backs on the iPhone 4?

Apple always push design forward some people hate then come to love it later. It's nothing new so continue to hate the notch.

The iPhone X looks more unique and has a sheer amount of quality in its design from what i can see over any android phone so far. The S8 is the only real challenger here.

Apple is not "pushing design forward", whatever that means. The notch is bad design, period, but that's ok, have some more Kool-Aid.

Reactions: shr631

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
I think iPhone X looks better than most of it's competitors. Example :- upcoming Google Pixel 2
View attachment 723132

Except thats the Pixel 2 and it's competing with the 8 not the X but nice try fanboy.

The Pixel 2 XL and S8 are the X main competitors but i notice you didn't post them.

get

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
The notch seems like the perfect place to put my thumb when I’m holding the X in landscape mode with one hand.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, and others will hold their devices differently. :)

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
The notch seems like the perfect place to put my thumb when I’m holding the X in landscape mode with one hand.

Of course, that’s just my opinion, and others will hold their devices differently. :)

Give me strength.....

And this folks is why it's all going down the pan.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Give me strength.....

And this folks is why it's all going down the pan.
So...you didn’t like it when Steve said we were holding it wrong, but it’s ok for you to say it.

I love these threads......full of people who think their opinion should be the only opinion. :rolleyes:

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Except thats the Pixel 2 and it's competing with the 8 not the X but nice try fanboy.

The Pixel 2 XL and S8 are the X main competitors but i notice you didn't post them.

get

Errr In what world isn't the Pixel 2 competing with the iPhone X? They're all competing against each other.

And as i see it only the iPhone X and the S8 have the least bezels of any phone.
[doublepost=1507032673][/doublepost]
most people hate the dot on the essential phone but I like it

essential-phone-front-back-w782.jpg

I just hate that chin looks so thick. iPhone X is doing bezel-less the right way.

Reactions: SR71

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Design is all about opinion anyway. There’s no right or wrong.
My girlfriend likes a Corolla more than a Ferrari. She thinks a Ferrari looks like a “batmobile”. Design is indeed in the eye of the beholder, but it doesn’t mean the majority of people would choose a Corolla over a Ferrari.

Reactions: akash.nu

ACST

Suspended
Sep 5, 2016
Here's the thing. I was sat downstairs the other night, pitch dark, holding my iphone 8+ and watching video. Just me and me smartphone. In the dark, there is no premium build or colour of glass or bezels. Nothing. Just the screen and the content playing. And as I watched I thought about how different this would be if I was holding an X. In the dark. Because unlike the 8+ I'll know instantly that I'm watching video on the X because all I can see in the dark is the screen and the notch/ears. I know that this is a daft example (sat in the dark) but basic practicality for me screamed "X don't work". Strip away the look and cosmetics with the 8+ and you're left staring at a screen streaming content. Strip away the look and cosmetics of the X and you're left still looking at cosmetics, even with the lights off. Why? Because Apple on the surface appear to want the phone to be distinctive in the wild. And yet how does that have any relevance to me? Sat in my boxers on the sofa whilst the missus and kid sleep upstairs? Why should I have my window to the word distorted by a design that want attention from people that WILL NEVER USE 'MY PHONE' BECAUSE IT'S MY GOD DAMN PHONE.

I'm hoping I've got my point across.

Only that video you're watching is 16:9 aspect ratio on a 2:1 iPhone X which means the sides get cut so you still don't see the notch...

Reactions: MEJHarrison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.