Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
agree. and it is strange. why'd you go for the 64gb ram?

I'm of the belief to purchase tools as best as you can get and hold onto it for as long as possible rather than upgrading every couple years. I am a professional designer and MIGHT just need to run virtual machines that take up a lot of memory, and Figma is a memory hog.

We'll see how the thermals and battery life are in the 14". That's what I'm most afraid of - but I have a 14 day return window when I receive it.

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
I'm of the belief to purchase tools as best as you can get and hold onto it for as long as possible rather than upgrading every couple years.

I'm pretty sure you'd come out ahead buying lesser specc'ed machines and resale every cycle or two rather than buying for some future perceived condition. If you hold onto a machine for like 5+ years you're missing out on a ton of extra performance and cheaper options as time progresses. Apple resale high + options are arbitrarily expensive flips the script vs. trying to do the same w/ a PC laptop. I've taken this tact to my personal benefit over the 15 years I've been in the Apple camp.

I also find Apple care a total waste, have only been up the creek in one situation where I had to shell out a larger fee of $700 over owning a dozen laptops, and just a few times of $80-200 here and there - much less overall than what it would have cost to purchase Apple care for each one. If you amortize the cost over a lifetime ownership of many laptops it's just a bad deal... it's priced what it's priced for a reason, so Apple profits one way or the other. The fact this is pervasive advice is super unfortunate... it only makes sense if you're running a business and want that predictability.

Last edited:

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
All these people crying the New MacBook Pro is thick.

14" MacBook Pro M1 (2020) - 0.61 inch (1.56 cm)
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro (2021) - 0.61 inch (1.55 cm)

The new one is even a hair thinner...
apparently not reading the first post when its compared to the 2017 MBP which is 1.49 cm.

also thicc and thick are two different things ;) :P jokes

Reactions: Rck1984

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I'm of the belief to purchase tools as best as you can get and hold onto it for as long as possible rather than upgrading every couple years. I am a professional designer and MIGHT just need to run virtual machines that take up a lot of memory, and Figma is a memory hog.

We'll see how the thermals and battery life are in the 14". That's what I'm most afraid of - but I have a 14 day return window when I receive it.

I'm pretty sure you'd come out ahead buying lesser specc'ed machines and resale every cycle or two rather than buying for some future perceived condition. If you hold onto a machine for like 5+ years you're missing out on a ton of extra performance and cheaper options as time progresses. Apple resale high + options are arbitrarily expensive. I've taken this tact to my personal benefit over the 15 years I've been in the Apple camp.

I also find Apple care a total waste, have only been up the creek in one situation where I had to shell out $500 over owning a dozen laptops. I find this terrible advice unless you're running a business and want that predictability.

I've actually done both and @Beau10 you are right. Financially it is better to resell sooner rather than later.

Had I sold my comp 2 years ago, with the big discount I bought my machine for, I would only come out like couple hundred lost. Using a laptop for 2 years and only paying $250 to use it is great. (the massive discount made a huge diff). But I could not get my arse bothered to go and put it up for sale. So I will probably now lose out at least $1000.

I wonder if AppleCare would have came in handy when my computer fell and the display broke.
Mostly because the comp didn't have magsafe.
But otherwise I wouldn't need it.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
The display and keyboard deck look quite good, with the exception of the black keyboard recess, which looks a bit gimmicky/ goofy/ fussy. The front and side profiles are frankly not flattering, and moreso than I was expecting tbh.

Reactions: archi penko

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Exactly my thoughts. The design is extremely outdated. I wouldn't want to put 2k plus in this thing which isn't even aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.
I wonder if... I can only hope the M2 line might take the performance of the M1 and put it into the lighter, slimmer form factor in the MBPs now.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I'm excited there is room for adequate cooling now, hopefully the end of thermal throttling and you'll be able to make the most of that computing power!

I like this return to function over form on the higher end TOOLS which is what they are.

duriem

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
Despite being almost the same dimensions as my late 2013 13" MBP the AR function on the Apple store makes the new device look noticeably thicker, particularly in Space Grey. Wonder if it has a thinner screen but thicker body, or if the AR isn't doing it justice?

Late-2013 13" MBP: 31.4cm(w) x 21.9cm(d) x 1.8cm(h) | 1.57kg
2021 14" MPB: 31.26cm(w) x 22.12(d) x 1.55cm(h) 1.6kg

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Despite being almost the same dimensions as my late 2013 13" MBP the AR function on the Apple store makes the new device look noticeably thicker, particularly in Space Grey. Wonder if it has a thinner screen but thicker body, or if the AR isn't doing it justice?

View attachment 1870094
View attachment 1870093
I'm hoping they will look better in live photos/ in person than in the renders, considering their direct predecessors were works of art and these look... I mean they're not even utilitarian, they're just a bit unbalanced with weird design choices like the black keyboard depression.

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I feel like most people suggesting cooling was inadequate are coming from the i9s, where thermal throttling happened, on intel chips. And their fans ran hot, a lot.

Obviously coming from the i9 macbooks pros to these, making it 1mm thinner means the fans can do the cooling task well even in something slightly slimmer, but not on cooling those intel i9 chips.

Here Apple Silicon M1 Max & Pro, clearly wanted to smash those chips and then some.

I wonder how many mm the butterfly switches contributed because the fans are the same height most likely.

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
I'm hoping they will look better in live photos/ in person than in the renders, considering their direct predecessors were works of art and these look... I mean they're not even utilitarian, they're just a bit unbalanced with weird design choices like the black keyboard depression.
those feet... those feet... i don't even understand the feet.

Spanther

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2020

Came to post the same comparison. 2021 MBP are the true updates to the late 2013 rMBP. This is everything I wanted and more. Super happy.

Reactions: asdex and Vazor

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
No one will notice a .5lb increase just like no one notices the iPhone getting heavier after each upgrade. Once you get used to holding it, it's the same.
0.5 lb is *very* noticeable, I promise you will notice the difference, even if you weren’t looking for it beforehand. Not that it matters because this is a desk device, but still.

Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.