Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
It’s basically the slimmest laptop Apple ever made. I would not have thought this based on it’s looks.

15” MacBook Pro - .71” or 1.8 cm - (Mid 2015 Retina)
15” MacBook Pro - .61” or 1.55 cm - (15-inch, 2017)
16” MacBook Pro - .64” or 1.62 cm - (16-inch, 2019)

16” MacBook Pro - .61” or 1.55 cm - New M1 Max system

The 16 inch is 1.68 cm, you confused it with the 14 inch.

Reactions: calstanford

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Wonder why you think everyone should have same spending habits and same priorities. Apple is all about combining tech with aesthetics and that’s how “I” like them. “I” buy my devices based on looks too.
LoveTo comes off as a snob from the original comment. But s/he is completely right. Gatekeeping is dumb. If someone doesn't like the looks, they get a say as much as someone that wants the power in making their own decisions.

Everyone could use a dose of humility in how they express the benefits and shortcomings of these computers. But telling someone that their justification for a purchase is wrong is...wrong.

Where the back and forth is justified is around misunderstandings of the specs and looks. Not subjective opinions.

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
LoveTo comes off as a snob from the original comment. But s/he is completely right. Gatekeeping is dumb. If someone doesn't like the looks, they get a say as much as someone that wants the power in making their own decisions.

Everyone could use a dose of humility in how they express the benefits and shortcomings of these computers. But telling someone that their justification for a purchase is wrong is...wrong.

Where the back and forth is justified is around misunderstandings of the specs and looks. Not subjective opinions.
That’s fine. I have the opinion that the MacBook Pro looks great but it was not my justification for the purchase.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
That’s fine. I have the opinion that the MacBook Pro looks great but it was not my justification for the purchase.
Honestly, I've bounced back and forth on the look. I think the AR didn't do it justice. The specs say it's (the 14") pretty thin, but the AR next to my current 2018 15" MBP had it almost twice the thickness. I don't know what to believe at the moment. Then I remembered that it sits on my desk 99% of the time during covid, so I stopped factoring it in.

My concern will be when I start traveling again and how much room it takes up in the backpack. But that will either not be a problem, or maybe means I "downgrade" to a MBA in the future. I'm honestly pumped for the power of this thing. Now I need to figure out better ways to make use of it. ;)

Reactions: archi penko

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I think the new MBP looks great. Apple didn't make it larger just for the hell of it - they did what they had to do to meet their performance target. The problem isn't this thing's size, it's that the old 'Pro' line has been gimped by throttling for far too long. I'm glad Apple is finally making a bigger distinction between the Pro and consumer models.

Reactions: tmoerel and asdex

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
If you look at the marketing reveal, it emphases that people are using this in the field on film/tv/advertising/photo shoots, or something that's meant to not take up too much space in a crowded studio etc

You don't see any shots of people walking around cities, meeting rooms etc. with the new MBPs (if I'm not mistaken).

So I think it's best to see this as a portable 'field' laptop - not something that you necessarily want to lug around all day (that would be the MBA).

As to how it looks? It looks like it means business. Almost like a piece of near future hardware. I like this Apple.

Reactions: Bodhitree

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
I ordered the 16 Inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD. Really don't care about the weight or the size. I just move it around the house. From desk to bed to another desk, to couch, you get the picture. For travelling or going to work/office/school I think the 14" or even the Air is a better choice maybe with an iMac at home.

Reactions: baummer

Ahboyd

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
I can see that the Thicc design might be better for air flow.

Another advantage of the design is that it might be less prone to nick and bumps. Especially the exterior edges.

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Another advantage of the design is that it might be less prone to nick and bumps. Especially the exterior edges.
Interesting point. I forgot that the previous iteration of MBPs, those tapered but sharp edges would ding quite a bit if not careful and unless using a case protector. I had a lot of dings along that smooth edge, very annoying.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Am I the only one that loved the weight of my 3lbs Macbook Pro? The extra 0.5lbs on the 14" (3.5lbs total) does something to me where it could cross the threshold of just being to heavy and I hate that on my back.
Lift some weights. Problem solved.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I feel for the very first time in a long time that the purpose of Apple's new laptops is not the design, rather it is now the performance. Very strange. But I did order one - the 14" Silver with the 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64 GBs of RAM, 1 TB SSD, and Applecare - $4k...
What if I told you, you can have great design and phenominal performance in the same package?

shaneomac.28

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
Long gone are the days of exacting design standards under Johnny Ives and Jobs.

These two plus size pieces of hardware would not have made the cut. However, how can you argue with the incredible increase in performance and features but yet I want to rage…

Only Apple and its most die-hard fans marvel at them bringing back features they took away from previous models. This is an upgraded PowerBook G4 and thick enough to get a CD slot in to boot.

The notch is offensive and will cause me to burn down in a molten mound of raging lava when they take it away and promote that very feat as design revolution. If you need a notch to get a 1080p camera then look in the mirror and ask yourself why u suck so hard.

The blazing fast hardware will no doubt gloss over all these sins but I am still pissed at the yo-yo of design decisions that I have been subjected too since my first Mac in 2004.

Last edited:

archi penko

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
So I picked this up the other at at the Apple Store and the weighting is weird, toward the back. It tilts heavily when carrying.

I know in the design era the MBP was very evenly weighted all along the base. From a design perspective that is very nice. This was an interesting turn, and the user would def have to be more careful in some cases.

shaneomac.28

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
So I need to revise my previous statement as I had not seen this in person.

I picked up the 14 inch at the Apple Store yesterday. I went in person to view the design as based on all the Youtube Videos and Content I was expecting this thing to be big thick Frankenstein Monster. I currently have the 13 inch intel 2020 Macbook pro.

I was pleasantly surprised! Yes it has a larger form factor and visually does appear slightly thicker...despite the specs. But it actually looked really good. It was felt lighter then I though and still highly portable. The inclusion of the ports and boxiness of the design was still modern and practical. As if a 2006 G4 Powerbook banged a 2020 touch bar version and had a baby.

Overall, the best of both worlds. I purchased mostly for video editing and found the notch very noticeable at first but it merges with the header bar quite nicely and you still get a lot of screen to work with compared to the 13 inch. Resolution and pro motion are insanely good!

Magsafe....awesome. Performance is out of this world. This is 10 times faster then any laptop I have ever used and that alone is worth the upgrade price. The full size function keys and removal of the touch bar is just good common sense and I love the huge escape key.

It looks way better in person. Swipe Right.

Reactions: sahni130

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
So I need to revise my previous statement as I had not seen this in person.

I picked up the 14 inch at the Apple Store yesterday. I went in person to view the design as based on all the Youtube Videos and Content I was expecting this thing to be big thick Frankenstein Monster. I currently have the 13 inch intel 2020 Macbook pro.

I was pleasantly surprised! Yes it has a larger form factor and visually does appear slightly thicker...despite the specs. But it actually looked really good. It was felt lighter then I though and still highly portable. The inclusion of the ports and boxiness of the design was still modern and practical. As if a 2006 G4 Powerbook banged a 2020 touch bar version and had a baby.

Overall, the best of both worlds. I purchased mostly for video editing and found the notch very noticeable at first but it merges with the header bar quite nicely and you still get a lot of screen to work with compared to the 13 inch. Resolution and pro motion are insanely good!

Magsafe....awesome. Performance is out of this world. This is 10 times faster then any laptop I have ever used and that alone is worth the upgrade price. The full size function keys and removal of the touch bar is just good common sense and I love the huge escape key.

It looks way better in person. Swipe Right.
Totally agree. It feels great all around- not as heavy as I thought. I love the contrast of black on silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.