Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I agree and I prefer investing my money by purchasing the 16GB RAM upgrade.
Do you have any idea which generation i5 processor is installed in the non-touch bar/ID model?
PS: I'm waiting for the iFixit teardown analysis.

Intel® Core™ i5-6360U Processor

I guess this is the entry-level processor for the new MacBook Pro without TouchBar/ID. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Here the specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/91156/Intel-Core-i5-6360U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Hello, volume of current laptop is too small to accommodate so many legacy ports + don't expect apple will change this generation for next 4 years (at least) - it must future proof - you have to bet on future not go with the flow.

-- it is business it is not UNICEF - they need to earn money to keep value of company.

We expect to buy premium product for dell money but it is not how it works.

If you don't get it - it's a free world - buy yourself "transitional" laptop that will keep you productive- at the end of the day it is only tool for a job.

The previous rMBP is more than thin enough. We don't need paper thin laptops. More connectivity means less hassle for people.
[doublepost=1477913684][/doublepost]
You have now started off BOTH of your responses to me with an insult... while I have not insulted you at all.
You seem angry & confused.

I can fully agree with you that more ports would support an easier transition to the new I/O.
However, this is still sidestepping our convo, which was & is:
You- claiming that the purpose of new I/O is simply as a "money grab" for dongle sales
Me- insisting that is absurd... adapters are a (brief) necessary evil, until a new standard proliferates
The new standards almost always have greater speed, with less overhead as their goal.... NOTHING to do with trying to create new standards to sell adapters. That is an outlandish theory.

If it's not a "money grab" then the least Apple could do is include the adapters with the MBP. Why do we need to pay extra for it?? We're already paying insane prices for the Mac itself.

Here's a couple of examples. When Apple went from OS9 to OSX they included "classic mode" to give consumers and developers time to transition their Apps. You could still run Apps in OS9. Similar situation going from PPC to Intel. Apple provided Rosetta to allow time to transition over. But they're not doing that this time with the I/O transition. That's why it bothers me.

Last edited:
Reactions: nolenium

user74246

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
To some of us the new weight and dimensions are a very welcome change. I didn’t upgrade to a retina 13" MacBook from my 13" Air because I just love my Air’s size and weight so much. Apple now finally released the machine I was dreaming of since 2010.

I considered a 12", I tried it, but found it too small. Not only the display, but I also didn’t like the size left for the palm rest. Typing on it was just too uncomfortabe.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I'm getting my non-touch-bar version tomorrow.

I didn't expect the non-touch-bar version to throttle, not with a 3.1GHz turbo, but the fact that the speaker configuration is obviously different from the touch bar version is starting to concern me...
This is a great model! Did you select the "16GB RAM" upgrade?

I found an interesting article about the differences between 13'' models with & without TouchBar/ID for reference and comparison. I think it is very helpful.

Read here: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/1...-pro-and-how-apples-t1-bridges-arm-and-intel/ (especially: "Two models, lots of differences")

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm getting my non-touch-bar version tomorrow.

I didn't expect the non-touch-bar version to throttle, not with a 3.1GHz turbo, but the fact that the speaker configuration is obviously different from the touch bar version is starting to concern me...

I haven't felt it slow down once in the last 2 days. Also the animations are as smooth at the 15" with a dedicated GPU, which is a first for me with any other Mac with a Retina display.

Jker

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2016
Has anyone tried basic gaming like CS:GO, D3 or WoW on this model? Would be interesting to see how it compares to the 2015 base 13".

This so much, I want to know this exactly too. Specifically relating this to LOL. 60 FPS pretty essential!

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
This so much, I want to know this exactly too. Specifically relating this to LOL. 60 FPS pretty essential!

Once we start getting them in our hands we can find out. I have to load windows anyway so I would be happy to post some results. My scheduled delivery is Nov 4 thru the 8 so I'm hopping have it this week.

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
Has anyone tried basic gaming like CS:GO, D3 or WoW on this model? Would be interesting to see how it compares to the 2015 base 13".

I want to know this, too. I'm debating between the 2015 MacBook Pro and the base model MacBook Pro 2016. I like playing wow so I wanna know if the pro 2016 will be powerful enough.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
It is rarely worth it if you can't directly make money out of a couple of saved seconds here and there. They both have Hyperthreading (4 virtual cores), so they really are two i7 with different clock and little else.
It's more of an OCD thing, if you're gonna keep it till the end of time (and can easily afford it) probably embrace the urge to max it out.

The i7 is still quite better considering the cache is always bigger on the i7.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
You might have confused the cooling fans with the loudspeakers. The 13 inch w/o Touch Bar has one fan whereas the Touch Bar model has two fans, due to the higher TDP processor.

I have to admit to some guesswork here, but just to explain further, I came to the conclusion based on 2 views. The first is for the touch bar version and comes from http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/, where they present a kind of cutaway view with animated sound waves highlighting the 2 different speakers on each side. One of them in the area also occupied by the battery.

The second is for the non-touch-bar version as depicted in the macrumors article (from the OWC teardown):
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2016/10/2016macbookproteardown-800x600.jpg
This one shows two similar silver speakers on each side, embedded in a plastic resonance chamber. It seems unlikely that there is also a 5th and 6th subwoofer type of speaker in the side batteries as well.

If I may speculate even further, this may be the reason for the higher watt-hour rating on the non-touch-bar version, there is no room chopped out of the side battery area for subwoofers.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I would have actually expected a USB-C to USB-A dongle in the box. Wishful thinking...

Which one?

Any USB-C port of all new MacBook Pro's supports:
  • Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
There are two "most-wanted" USB-C to USB-A dongles (adapter or cable), the one which supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) and the other one which supports USB3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0, up to 5 Gbps), both supports USB2.0 (up to 480Mbps) and both are compatible. Besides, there is a small cost difference. Your choice depends on your actual needs.

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
I am getting this in the base version this wednesday, i'll try to run some benchmarking and games. I also ordered a (TB3)USB-C to 2x Displayport adapter to see if my current dell 5k screen will be compatible.

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I just received my base model 13" a few hours ago. Had a go at downloading WOW. It seemed to completely ignore the 15W TDP while gaming (Due to CPU+GPU draw at the same time) hitting nearly 30W at times. It stabilized between 20-25W. Fps stayed around 40-50 in the new Dalaran FP area at graphics setting 5 at 1280x800 resolution. Dropping some unnecessary settings got me to a 60fps VSYNC lock quite easily.

Fan noise was not bad, but mine has an annoying high pitch sound to the fan, like you often hear on cheap computers. Other than that the noise level was perfectly acceptable for a laptop, and I'm very sensitive to noise.

Key values:

- 20-25W continous load (Despite 15W TDP)
- Lower noise levels compared to Early 2015 13" base model
- 1.8 GHz CPU speed (Max 2.9 @ both cores)
- 800-850 MHz GPU speed (max 1000 MHz)
- 90c core temperature
- 40-50 FPS @ graphics setting 5
- Palm rest got warm, but not hot

Screenshot running Intel Power Gadget and WOW. Downsampled to 720p due to file size upload limit.
Skjermbilde 2016-10-31 kl. 16.12.29.png

Last edited:

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
For 5W it will run (theoretically) for almost 11hrs (10:54). For touch bar version to get 10 hrs (as tested by Apple) idle power consumption should be less than 5W - is it possible?

I'm simplifying here a lot taking idle as a baseline. The dynamics of system might be different but I can't model this with single point in space.

Ok here are first battery tests results:

"Battery Life: Superb Endurance
Apple rates the 54.5 watt-hour battery in the 13-inch MacBook Pro for 10 hours of web surfing time, but we saw more impressive results. On the Laptop Mag web surfing test, in which we set the screen at 100 nits of brightness and surf the web over Wi-Fi, the MacBook Pro lasted an awesome 12 hours and 21 minutes. That beats the last 2015 MacBook Pro we reviewed, which lasted 12:04.

This MacBook Pro's runtime obliterates the ultraportable average of 7:58, and it beats both the HP Spectre x360 (10:06) and Yoga 910 (10:36) by about 2 hours. However, the Dell XPS 13 lasted for an even longer 13:49."

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/macbook-pro-13-inch

JamesPet

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
I ordered a Macbook pro 13 no touch with i7, 512ssd and 16gb on 28th. Just checked and my order status is Preparing for Dispatch, although it still says Delivers 7 Nov - 9 Nov by Standard Shipping

schmidti91

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2016
Eisenach, Germany
Which one?

Any USB-C port of all new MacBook Pro's supports:
  • Charging
  • DisplayPort
  • Thunderbolt 3 (up to 40 Gbps)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
There are two "most-wanted" USB-C to USB-A dongles (adapter or cable), the one which supports USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps) and the other one which supports USB3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0, up to 5 Gbps), both supports USB2.0 (up to 480Mbps) and both are compatible. Besides, there is a small cost difference. Your choice depends on your actual needs.

An adapter like the actual port in the 2015 MBP

hulkk

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2012
It seemed to completely ignore the 15W TDP while gaming (Due to CPU+GPU draw at the same time) hitting nearly 30W at times. It stabilized between 20-25W. Fps stayed around 40-50 in the new Dalaran FP area at graphics setting 5 at 1280x800 resolution.
What do you mean by "completely ignoring" the TDP? Have you read what the TDP is about?

"Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload."

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
What do you mean by "completely ignoring" the TDP? Have you read what the TDP is about?

"Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload."
While I know TDP isn't a hard limit, but rather average power used like you quoted from Intel, I was surprised to see it hitting nearly 30W. It even averaged out to almost 25W. Most people on here seem to think TDP is some kind of cap the chip won't go past, which is why I wrote it like I did.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.