Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
If you plan on keeping the machine for any length of time, get the most you can afford. Ignoring the TB, you are getting a better CPU and GPU with that version. Those two things alone could be worth $300. If you think of it like that the TB just because an added bonus you may or may not use. I am sure it will be useful in some cases, mostly the apple stock apps: iMessage, calendar, Safari, etc.

I agree with part of this.
I absolutely am a HUGE believer in buying as much as you can afford, thus allowing it to be used for as long as possible.
But I highly, highly disagree that a faster processor & one notch up graphics card for $300 would nearly impact the longevity as much as maxing out the RAM. And at a $200 upgrade, that is by far the smartest upgrade, with the sole goal of "bang for buck".

Reactions: mattopotamus

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Interestingly enough, Apple have fitted this model with a single fan but the 28W CPU Touchbar version has 2 fans.
Surely this will cause the 15W model to throttle more frequently under load compared to the 28W?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Interestingly enough, Apple have fitted this model with a single fan but the 28W CPU Touchbar version has 2 fans.
Surely this will cause the 15W model to throttle more frequently under load compared to the 28W?

Really?? hmm, was this revealed in a teardown?

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Non Touchbar model revealed in OWC/Macsales teardown:

2016macbookproteardown-800x600.jpg

Touchbar model internals shown during the event:

mkus0x.png

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I mean that's kinda cool right, quieter acoustics and less vibration internally?

Still, shame on Apple for lack of transparency and saying 13" has 4 full bandwidth tb3 ports

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I want the I/O of the classic models. Hence my dilemma. I have nothing which uses USB-C and no one should have to pay extra for adapters.

But if you don't buy a computer with USB-C you will never have any USB-C devices. Your just prolonging it that's all.

Reactions: Tycho24

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
But if you don't buy a computer with USB-C you will never have any USB-C devices. Your just prolonging it that's all.

I legitimately haven't thought of that haha. Well put

...But if you aren't putting tb3 bandwidth to use and have lots of USB-a since it's not going anywhere it's a trade up and arguably less of one. So far they aren't really doing enviable things with USB-c, barring its physical irreversibility /flexibility

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Prolonging it may actually be a good idea. Assuming USB-C takes off in the computer peripheral market, USB-C accessories will be much cheaper in a few years than the few that are currently available. If it doesn't take off, you don't end up with a bunch of useless hardware. Of course, the good thing about USB-C is that it's compatible with USB-A, so in many cases you'll just need new cables (e.g. USB-C to Micro-B Superspeed for most external USB 3.0 drives).

Last edited:

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Non Touchbar model revealed in OWC/Macsales teardown:

2016macbookproteardown-800x600.jpg

Touchbar model internals shown during the event:

mkus0x.png

Shame. I didn't see that in my initial look.

I need something that doesn't decide to throttle all the time because of heat. I canceled my non-touchbar and got the 13" touchbar version. Now the 1 month wait.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

Why do I need USB-C devices?? At least Apple should have kept the "classic" I/O and included the new TB/USB-C port as well (like on the Dell XPS 13). Makes for a smoother transition. I don't mind the change per-se but don't do it so abruptly.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Prolonging it may actually be a good idea. Assuming USB-C takes off in the computer peripheral market, USB-C accessories will be much cheaper in a few years than the few that are currently available. If it doesn't take off, you don't end up with a bunch of useless hardware. Of course, the good thing about USB-C is that it's compatible with USB-A, so in many cases you'll just need new cables (e.g. USB-C to Micro-B Superspeed for most external USB 3.0 drives).

They are already cheap. Looking at the prices of USB-C stuff I already feel like I've been behind on the times.
[doublepost=1477877760][/doublepost]
Why do I need USB-C devices?? At least Apple should have kept the "classic" I/O and included the new TB/USB-C port as well (like on the Dell XPS 13). Makes for a smoother transition. I don't mind the change per-se but don't do it so abruptly.

Because eventually they will do away with the old style USB ports or wait...

Reactions: compuguy1088

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

It's a very fashion like movement

From day 1 moving forward we pretend other ports didn't exist and are now pesky classic I've definition of "clutter"

Reactions: compuguy1088

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
They are already cheap. Looking at the prices of USB-C stuff I already feel like I've been behind on the times.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Plus you're alienating non USBc laptops like 2015 MBP with USBc accessories.

There isn't c to a adapter afaik

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada

Can you provide some examples of "cheap" USB-C stuff?

Yes eventually old standards are done away with. But again the transition should be smoother and more gradual than abrupt. Imagine if Apple had done away with USB1 and only had FW ports. FW was faster than USB back then. Instead they kept USB and FW alongside each other. Now we don't even have FW on Macs.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
By the way full disclosure I say this as a rMb happy user.

Such compromise just seems odd for lack of a better word on pro line laptops

They do look nice and capable and able to cope with but very ballsy even by apple pricing standards and impractical

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Can you provide some examples of "cheap" USB-C stuff?

Yes eventually old standards are done away with. But again the transition should be smoother and more gradual than abrupt. Imagine if Apple had done away with USB1 and only had FW ports. FW was faster than USB back then. Instead they kept USB and FW alongside each other. Now we don't even have FW on Macs.

I was looking at USB hubs with and without HDMI out and was able to find one for 20$ that I thought was pretty nice. Also instead of looking at a dongle for my external HDD I bought a new USB-C to Micro B cable for 6$. I bought a USB-C to USB adapter for I think it was 5$. Last one.. I got a USB-C to lighting for 9$ all on amazon. I can provide links if your interested.

Edit: might not be the kind of stuff your looking for. I sort of changed my mind set after looking and decided why use dongles or adapters just replace the cables in the stuff I have.
[doublepost=1477879038][/doublepost]I did also see 32GB USB-C and USB-A(?) (has both) jump drives for I think it was 20$. Not a cheap as USB-A but not outrageous.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Shame. I didn't see that in my initial look.

I need something that doesn't decide to throttle all the time because of heat. I canceled my non-touchbar and got the 13" touchbar version. Now the 1 month wait.

One thing the non-touchbar version doesn't do is throttle. I've had it 2 1/2 days (got it Friday night) and I've been using Monity to show the temperature and fan speed. Unless I deliberately run something to max out the CPU the fan doesn't even come on. I was beginning to get worried it was broken when it finally turned on. The max speed I've seen so far was 2500rpm and you couldn't even hear it. I'm still curious about the touchbar version but one thing you don't have to worry about this version is overheating.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I was looking at USB hubs with and without HDMI out and was able to find one for 20$ that I thought was pretty nice. Also instead of looking at a dongle for my external HDD I bought a new USB-C to Micro B cable for 6$. I bought a USB-C to USB adapter for I think it was 5$. Last one.. I got a USB-C to lighting for 9$ all on amazon. I can provide links if your interested.

Edit: might not be the kind of stuff your looking for. I sort of changed my mind set after looking and decided why use dongles or adapters just replace the cables in the stuff I have.
[doublepost=1477879038][/doublepost]I did also see 32GB USB-C and USB-A(?) (has both) jump drives for I think it was 20$. Not a cheap as USB-A but not outrageous.

Well those may be cheap but are they good quality?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Here is the hub this one doesn't have the HDMI cause that was a little more and I was looking for SDCard reader.

UNITEK Aluminum USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C / USB C to USB 3.0 3-Port Data Hub with SD, Micro SD, TF Card Reader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015H4N4YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AwQfybSWZKXGD
[doublepost=1477879359][/doublepost]L
Well those may be cheap but are they good quality?

LOL they all had good reviews. USB-C isn't new by any means.
[doublepost=1477879455][/doublepost]BTW that hub comes with the USC-C to Micro B cable see it?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Here is the hub this one doesn't have the HDMI cause that was a little more and I was looking for SDCard reader.

UNITEK Aluminum USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C / USB C to USB 3.0 3-Port Data Hub with SD, Micro SD, TF Card Reader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015H4N4YW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_AwQfybSWZKXGD
[doublepost=1477879359][/doublepost]L

LOL they all had good reviews. USB-C isn't new by any means.
[doublepost=1477879455][/doublepost]BTW that hub comes with the USC-C to Micro B cable see it?

Well we shouldn't need to use all these adapters and hubs to plug in what we want to use. Like the canister Mac Pro is crap compared to the old G3/G4/G5 systems in terms of upgradability and expandability. In the old systems much of the upgrades were inside the tower. You didn't need anything outside.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I think the MacBook helped a lot because companies make all this stuff now.
[doublepost=1477880058][/doublepost]
Well we shouldn't need to use all these adapters and hubs to plug in what we want to use. Like the canister Mac Pro is crap compared to the old G3/G4/G5 systems in terms of upgradability and expandability. In the old systems much of the upgrades were inside the tower. You didn't need anything outside.

Well I don't know what to tell you then. My MacBook Air has two USB ports and no HDMI. It has thunderbolt. The ONLY thing my Air has that the new MacBook won't is a SDCard reader. See I didn't have a MacBook Pro so to me I'm not loosing that much.
[doublepost=1477880096][/doublepost]Also I'm talking about laptops not towers.
[doublepost=1477880238][/doublepost]Honestly the only things I plug into my laptop anyway are my external HDD and power. Day to day I don't have anything but power.

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I think the MacBook helped a lot because companies make all this stuff now.
[doublepost=1477880058][/doublepost]

Well I don't know what to tell you then. My MacBook Air has two USB ports and no HDMI. It has thunderbolt. The ONLY thing my Air has that the new MacBook won't is a SDCard reader. See I didn't have a MacBook Pro so do me I'm not loosing that much.
[doublepost=1477880096][/doublepost]Also I'm talking about laptops not towers.
[doublepost=1477880238][/doublepost]Honestly the only things I plug into my laptop anyway are my external HDD and power. Day to day I don't have anything but power.

I guess my point is that dongles and adapters seem to make things more complicated. Not easier. Plus it seems to be a money grab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.