Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justabirdy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Those that have had theirs a while: What's been your experience with throttling?

Debating between a 2.4/16GB/512GB or a entry level 15". Can't justify the price for the touch-bar 13".

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
would going for the CPU upgrade would mean some hit to battery life?
anyone here with the i7 upgrade can report about this?

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
If anything it would improve battery life. More performance at the same power draw as the 2GHz part and a slightly faster GPU.

I maxed out the non-tb (cpu/memory) and only 512 on the hard drive space. I regularly get 12-13 hours of battery life with normal usage.

Pretty much everything I do is in AWS or "the cloud"... so a lot of browsing with safari and a lot of iterm windows all over the place.

Although last night I did fire up a vmware image of kali and my battery estimate definitely changed.

Reactions: Abaganov

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
Those that have had theirs a while: What's been your experience with throttling?

Debating between a 2.4/16GB/512GB or a entry level 15". Can't justify the price for the touch-bar 13".

As long as you aren't stressing the GPU at the same time, there is literally zero throttling.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I maxed out the non-tb (cpu/memory) and only 512 on the hard drive space. I regularly get 12-13 hours of battery life with normal usage.

Pretty much everything I do is in AWS or "the cloud"... so a lot of browsing with safari and a lot of iterm windows all over the place.

Although last night I did fire up a vmware image of kali and my battery estimate definitely changed.

Thats incredible numbers! thanks for that

Trixs

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
I have the Non-touchbar base.

I don't use Ableton, but I put Logic Pro X and about 150GB of NI VSTs on it.

Most of my stuff is lighter orchestration, and it seems fine for it. In Logic Pro X, there's a Helena Beat project with 80 tracks I believe, and it performed fine. The CPU percent idle got maybe high 60s at the most, while mostly being in 70s idle. Memory pressure was green and about 1/3rd full.
[doublepost=1479339795][/doublepost]

I was considering trading my non-TB in for a TB, depending on the reviews, but I don't think I'll do that now.

Battery life has been just phenomenal. Using it conservatively (brightness on 1 bar, keyboard backlight off) and just browsing, I was able to go through 2 work days on it, with about 5-6 hours of use on it per day. By the end of the second day, I had high 30% battery life.

It's pretty snappy, I don't think performance between the two would be that drastic or noticeable in everyday use.
How do you work with 1 bar of brightness?

BBD90

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Just put my order in for one.

Base CPU
512 SSD
16 GB Ram
AppleCare
Space Grey

Says delivers 25-29 what are the chances of it getting here sooner :) .

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Just put my order in for one.

Base CPU
512 SSD
16 GB Ram
AppleCare
Space Grey

Says delivers 25-29 what are the chances of it getting here sooner :) .

May take a look at bhphoto.com if you want it sooner... they have a decent selection in stock.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Very nice video man, you have great voice for this kind of stuff, keep it going! liked and subscribed

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to keep it up and eventually upgrade from shooting with an iPhone and a $15 mic haha.

Thanks for subscribing I've got another video coming tomorrow

Pyali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
Was messing around in final cut pro x and compressor on my base 13" non-TB for an hour or two yesterday and didnt throttle. It did get pretty toasty though

math kitchen

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2016
Is here any one has experience or idea of how using 5k 60hz displaying would be on this non-TB 13 inch pro?
I just purchased yesterday and will buy LG 5k display when it is available in December.

Spec info in Apple website says this will support and definitely tb3 has huge bandwidth but
do you think it will run seamlessly for everyday light uses like web browsing, light programming and photo editing,
watching video clip and so on?

Also, do you think the laptop will be very hot when it is connected to 5k external display?

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Have had mine for over two weeks now and my battery life takes a hit when watching videos that require flash but that is obviously expected. I'm not a heavy user but I do have multiple tabs in safari open, iTunes open, Google Chrome open to do work-related tasks that only works in Chrome, etc and it has ran like a champ since I've had it. When doing more minimal tasks like surfing the web I get a very solid 9-10 hours of battery life. I also have the LG 27UD88 4k monitor and have had no problems using it in clamshell mode with a Logitech wireless keyboard and Logitech MX Master mouse setup.

Very happy with my purchase.

Reactions: Lollo and tiggidi

justabirdy

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2016
Have had mine for over two weeks now and my battery life takes a hit when watching videos that require flash but that is obviously expected. I'm not a heavy user but I do have multiple tabs in safari open, iTunes open, Google Chrome open to do work-related tasks that only works in Chrome, etc and it has ran like a champ since I've had it. When doing more minimal tasks like surfing the web I get a very solid 9-10 hours of battery life. I also have the LG 27UD88 4k monitor and have had no problems using it in clamshell mode with a Logitech wireless keyboard and Logitech MX Master mouse setup.

Very happy with my purchase.

How is scrolling lag in Chrome and UI stutter/lag in general? Seriously considering the same setup as you (2.4GHz/16GB/256GB). Was debating the Touch-Bar 13, but the CPU/GPU combo don't seem like a big upgrade over the non-touchbar model.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
How is scrolling lag in Chrome and UI stutter/lag in general? Seriously considering the same setup as you (2.4GHz/16GB/256GB)

I have not noticed any scrolling lag or UI lag when using Chrome. My MBP does get warmer when using Chrome but I know that it uses more power/resources then Safari.

colorfuel

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2015
My numbers are from 4.0.1 (64 bit), the rest of the numbers are coming from what appears to be a variant of 4.0.x 64 bit.

Hi again,

So I've been running Geekbench 4.0.1 on my i7 2.2Ghz 2015 MBA. As expected, single-core scores about match those of the i5 2016 nonTB model, Multi-Core scores are a bit lower (more or less 3%) Maybe due to better HT-handling on Skylake.

My scores are 3770/7007.

It means Skylake has about 10% more power since the i5 runs ar 2.0Ghz vs. 2.2Ghz i7 (both beeing 15W Cpus).

Of course the GPU in this Broadwell chip is alot worse than the 540 on the Skylake chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.