Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My non touch bar Mac (built 10-3-16) arrived this afternoon. I have been using it for just under 2 hours now and I am very pleased thus far. While I haven't finished loading all my programs, I noticed right away how fast the SSD is on this machine. It is screaming fast compared to the Crucial MX100 SSD I upgraded in my late 2011. It is not only screaming fast it is also silent. I haven't heard any noise from the machine at all not to mention any fan.

The Mac came loaded with 89% battery and the brightness set a little less than half-way. It was built 10-3-16.

In regards to the keyboard, I don't find it any louder (really) than my late 2011.While it will take a little getting used to typing wise, I really like the form factor.

As to the sound, it is excellent. Listening to someone play the speakers on YouTube doesn't do the sound justice. It is very crisp, clear and loud. It sounds like the Mac has a built in equalizer in it. The sound is that good.

The screen is beautiful. This is my first retina Mac. At the moment, I have the resolution set to 1680 x 1050

I will continue to install and put the Mac through its paces. I am happy with the base model thus far.

Black Magic test: Write = 1331 - 1399 Read 2000.0

AJA
b9cf609784.png

Geek Bench scores. Madde sure to have all apps closed except GB.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/1058681

Last edited:
Reactions: addictive

supajam

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
I'm back to considering the non touch 13" model.

Briefly had a 12" rMB m7 BTO before returning as it didn't quite cut it performance wise. The non touch 13" MBP definitely seems the best value of all the Macbook line right now. It's either that, the out and out power of the 15" MBP or an XPS 13 ( :eek: ) for myself. I'm glad I didn't buy the touch bar 13" MBP on impulse now as that seems the worst of the bunch!

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
I am hoping for thorough touch bar vs non-touch bar comparisons. While I have ordered a touch bar 16gb and 512gb version, I might be able to work with non-touch bar 8gb and 256gb. Which would save me 700€.

Still have to let that sink in. 700€ or 750$, that's more than an ipad pro, or almost an iphone, or just plain old lotta money.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
I am hoping for thorough touch bar vs non-touch bar comparisons. While I have ordered a touch bar 16gb and 512gb version, I might be able to work with non-touch bar 8gb and 256gb. Which would save me 700€.

Still have to let that sink in. 700€ or 750$, that's more than an ipad pro, or almost an iphone, or just plain old lotta money.
definitely go for base, its plenty.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
While I do love my ultra portable 2015 base 12" MacBook, I am intrigued by this new MBP and I think I will take the plunge. I tend to upgrade my devices quite often but I've been getting slightly better at controlling myself and I think it's going to be a worthwhile investment.

I'm by no means a power user and while the 12" MacBook is great, the battery life could stand to be a bit better (which was improved in the 2016 version I understand) and the occasional stutter/UI lag can be an annoyance. I don't feel it necessary to pay extra for the Touch Bar and with the recent reviews coming out, the battery life on that model seems atrocious. Therefore I think I've settled on the non-TB version with upgrading the storage to 512 and if I can control my spending habits, I think it could last me for a good long while.

bobosing316

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
Hi all

From most of the positive posts from page one. Can I conclude that the this 13 NTB base model is good enough for a light to mild Lightroom user for the next couple of years?

If yes, I will go and make a purchase by the end of this month

Regards

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
While I do love my ultra portable 2015 base 12" MacBook, I am intrigued by this new MBP and I think I will take the plunge. I tend to upgrade my devices quite often but I've been getting slightly better at controlling myself and I think it's going to be a worthwhile investment.

I'm by no means a power user and while the 12" MacBook is great, the battery life could stand to be a bit better (which was improved in the 2016 version I understand) and the occasional stutter/UI lag can be an annoyance. I don't feel it necessary to pay extra for the Touch Bar and with the recent reviews coming out, the battery life on that model seems atrocious. Therefore I think I've settled on the non-TB version with upgrading the storage to 512 and if I can control my spending habits, I think it could last me for a good long while.

Pretty much my thoughts , I owned the 2015 macbook version and suffered from all the things you wrote about , plus it felt too much like a toy. now the no TB macbook pro is basically everything I hoped the 12 inch macbook will be.

Reactions: wchigo

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Pretty much my thoughts , I owned the 2015 macbook version and suffered from all the things you wrote about , plus it felt too much like a toy. now the no TB macbook pro is basically everything I hoped the 12 inch macbook will be.

My exact thoughts as well.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Hi all

From most of the positive posts from page one. Can I conclude that the this 13 NTB base model is good enough for a light to mild Lightroom user for the next couple of years?

If yes, I will go and make a purchase by the end of this month

Regards

I would concur with that. After having mine for 2 weeks, it has turned into my little workhorse. I debated with going the TB route, but I can't justify paying more money for no actual functionality boost. I am more than likely sticking with the non-TB version. Leaving that window open for another day...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Do you plan to sell the 12" or complement it with 13" 2016?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I would concur with that. After having mine for 2 weeks, it has turned into my little workhorse. I debated with going the TB route, but I can't justify paying more money for no actual functionality boost. I am more than likely sticking with the non-TB version. Leaving that window open for another day...

Same here. A week or so in and I'm delighted with it - it's dealt with anything I've thrown at it including 4K GoPro footage in iMovie.

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Anybody here used the non-touchbar version for music production (particularly ableton) and can comment on performance?

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Considering trading my TB in for on TB. What slows your computer down with the nonTB? Anyone try Blizzard games on it yet? D3/HoTS/SC2?

Depending on task, 0-10% performance difference I reckon. For gaming, neither are really that great, might be again a difference of ~ 10% in FPS. Still think it's worth going to non-touch bar for much greater battery life, real F keys and a great saving £££.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Anybody here used the non-touchbar version for music production (particularly ableton) and can comment on performance?

I have the Non-touchbar base.

I don't use Ableton, but I put Logic Pro X and about 150GB of NI VSTs on it.

Most of my stuff is lighter orchestration, and it seems fine for it. In Logic Pro X, there's a Helena Beat project with 80 tracks I believe, and it performed fine. The CPU percent idle got maybe high 60s at the most, while mostly being in 70s idle. Memory pressure was green and about 1/3rd full.
[doublepost=1479339795][/doublepost]
Considering trading my TB in for on TB. What slows your computer down with the nonTB? Anyone try Blizzard games on it yet? D3/HoTS/SC2?

I was considering trading my non-TB in for a TB, depending on the reviews, but I don't think I'll do that now.

Battery life has been just phenomenal. Using it conservatively (brightness on 1 bar, keyboard backlight off) and just browsing, I was able to go through 2 work days on it, with about 5-6 hours of use on it per day. By the end of the second day, I had high 30% battery life.

It's pretty snappy, I don't think performance between the two would be that drastic or noticeable in everyday use.

Reactions: coopercoop

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
After 30 hours with the new computer, I am very glad that I upgraded from my late 2011 MBP (see signature). My Satechi hub arrived this afternoon and I was able to do a Time Machine (in about 12 minutes with 53 GB backed up to the WD My Passport 3.0 drive. I then proceeded to make a backup with Clear Copy Cloner and it was even faster than Time Machine. I also made a flash drive install of Sierra with DiskmakerX which was done in less than 10 minutes. I was thrilled with my Crucial MX100 upgrade with the late 2011 MBP. It was like night and day coming from a HDD. With the late 2016 MBP, it is another night and day scenario. This machine is fast. I am amazed.

As a side note, I like how Apple created a personalized screen saver. When the Mac goes into standby, the screen goes black and up comes the Apple logo and "first name of user's MacBook Pro" makes its way slowly around the screen with the Apple logo by it. Very neat.

For those with 2011 machines, I highly recommend the upgrade. :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm back to considering the non touch 13" model.

Briefly had a 12" rMB m7 BTO before returning as it didn't quite cut it performance wise. The non touch 13" MBP definitely seems the best value of all the Macbook line right now. It's either that, the out and out power of the 15" MBP or an XPS 13 ( :eek: ) for myself. I'm glad I didn't buy the touch bar 13" MBP on impulse now as that seems the worst of the bunch!
Just came back from the Apple Store this afternoon. Bought a space gray non-touchbar MBP. I was also debating back and forth about whether to get the 2016 m7 MacBook or the base 2016 MacBook Pro.

Ultimately I was just too nervous about the single port. My wife has a 2015 retina MacBook -- it's perfect for her but she never plugs anything in to it.

I think this will be the right decision. The screen is beautiful. Despite some people not liking it, I personally love the new keyboard. And for being a "base" model, this sucker is fast. And seems to have the best battery life of the new MBP line according to the reviews I've read.

Still getting things installed, but I think I'll be quite satisfied and happy I didn't blow the other $300+ for the touchbar.

And I also get a business discount through my company, so the machine was only $1379.00 and AppleCare was $50 off. Plus, I live in a state without sales tax. Wahoo!

Reactions: ob81

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Do you plan to sell the 12" or complement it with 13" 2016?
While I would love to keep both and could actually make it work financially, I think it would be pretty irresponsible of me. I have a desktop at work that I have to use to access certain things on our internal network, and I have a desktop at home for the "heavy lifting" (aka gaming). Add on top of that an iPad Air 2 and my iPhone 7 Plus and I have a ton of devices that overlap in certain areas of functionality.

In my case, it just seems superfluous to keep both the 12" MB and the 13" MBP as they basically would be serving the same needs. If I didn't have an iPad or didn't have a desktop at home, I could see maybe keeping the 12" as my portable device and using the 15" almost like a desktop replacement, but imho there's just too much overlap between what I would use the 12" MB and 13" MBP for to reasonably keep both.

tldr; Going to sell the 12" to offset the cost of the 13" and will hopefully keep that one for a while if I can get my spending habits under control.

Also wanted to say that when I played with the 13" MBP in an Apple Store over the weekend, I really like what they did with the keyboard. The travel might be the same but it feels like it's deeper and overall it makes for a better experience. If you don't like the keyboard on the MB the new one on the MBP probably won't change your mind, but if you are okay with/like it then the one on the MBP is going to make you really happy.

moosington

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Thanks for the input guys. Thoughts on i5 vs i7 on the nonTB? B&H has the i5 $100 off and $200 off the i7.

edit: The most intense thing I really will do with it is Swift development and some light gaming here and there with Blizzard games or CS:GO/Source type games. Nothing crazy.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for the input guys. Thoughts on i5 vs i7 on the nonTB? B&H has the i5 $100 off and $200 off the i7.

edit: The most intense thing I really will do with it is Swift development and some light gaming here and there with Blizzard games or CS:GO/Source type games. Nothing crazy.

You shouldn't notice much difference between the i5 and i7 in most any case, and definitely not in your mentioned cases. Save some green!

Reactions: moosington

jksu

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2009
have had two 11" MacBook air for 6 years (2010, 2013) and love the size but kept wanting a nicer screen. MacBook retina came out and despite size/compactness, price was high and my mba was only a year old.

the MacBook pro 2016 was eagerly anticipated since i'm close to my every 3-4 year upgrade. my last mba 11" was 8/256 and i'm ready for a 512. ordered a 13" mbpro with touch bar 8/512 with edu discount the other night but wait is 4-5 weeks. tonight, saw a b&h offer for $100 off plus no tax (i'm in so cal) on a 13" mbpro w/o touch 8/512 for $1599 and went for it... $400+ price difference for touchbar not worth it. should arrive next tue, can't wait!

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
I've been thinking, the non touch bar MBP would suit me perfectly fine, in fact I would prefer physical keys and longer battery life. But the ports. 2 ports should not be ok. With two ports I will never be able to fully use the laptop without dongles. One is already taken for power, and the other would be my monitor, most of the time. So then I won't be able to plug anything else in. A pro laptop with this price should not have only one usable port.

moosington

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I've been thinking, the non touch bar MBP would suit me perfectly fine, in fact I would prefer physical keys and longer battery life. But the ports. 2 ports should not be ok. With two ports I will never be able to fully use the laptop without dongles. One is already taken for power, and the other would be my monitor, most of the time. So then I won't be able to plug anything else in. A pro laptop with this price should not have only one usable port.

If one's a monitor, it's really worth investing in a good TB3 dock. That's my plan anyways -- one USBC plug into my laptop for monitor/keyboard/mouse/charging/everything else. That's the beauty of TB3 and why 2 ports can really be enough.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
If one's a monitor, it's really worth investing in a good TB3 dock. That's my plan anyways -- one USBC plug into my laptop for monitor/keyboard/mouse/charging/everything else. That's the beauty of TB3 and why 2 ports can really be enough.

That might be a solution but I don't know for me. Those docks look mighty expensive and then I only have one for at home, and not for work, unless I carry it with me. Are there any docks under 100$ with (mini) display port or thunderbolt 2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.