Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The experience has been so amazing so far, this machine is worth every penny. I just hope the dongle i ordered dosnt kill the wifi :p
That would be frustrating for sure. Hopefully, that won't happen. Looking forward to the retina screen. I have never had a retina screen on a Mac. I was really impressed when I saw it at the Apple store today.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I swear this isn't a photoshop... :D and I swear this is most definitely not a good estimate as well, but regardless... it's what it shows right now. Six bars on brightness, Safari (this being the only tab/window), Calendar, App Store, and Tweetbot running.

Screenshot 2016-11-14 20.51.23.png

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
I was going to wait and purchase the touch bar 13' mainly for the performance increase not really the touch bar but it seems like the performance gain is quite minimal looking at the benchmarks that came out today. Might just order a 13' non touchbar and use the spare cash on a bigger SSD/RAM.

In real world usage would you really notice much a difference using the 13'touchbar version vs nontouchbar 13' performance wise?

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I was going to wait and purchase the touch bar 13' mainly for the performance increase not really the touch bar but it seems like the performance gain is quite minimal looking at the benchmarks that came out today. Might just order a 13' non touchbar and use the spare cash on a bigger SSD/RAM.

In real world usage would you really notice much a difference using the 13'touchbar version vs nontouchbar 13' performance wise?

The 2.0Ghz i5 (6360U) is getting around 3720/7200 in GeekBench scores. I got 3705/7239.
The 2.4Ghz i7 (6660U) is getting around 3900/7600 in GeekBench scores. I got 4023/7628.

The 2.9 i5 in the TB model is getting around 3800/7500 in GeekBench scores.
I don't see enough benchmark records yet for the mid grade i5 or top grade i7 in the 13" TB model.

Note that the TB model has a slightly more powerful integrated GPU as well (Iris 550 vs 540)
Both my Non-TB models with Iris 540 got an OpenCL score of around 29000. The few 13" TB results with the 550 appear to be around 30000.

I'm not sure how the differences would affect real-world usage.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The 2.0Ghz i5 (6360U) is getting around 3720/7200 in GeekBench scores. I got 3705/7239.
The 2.4Ghz i7 (6660U) is getting around 3900/7600 in GeekBench scores. I got 4023/7628.

I don't see enough benchmark records yet for the mid grade i5 or top grade i7 in the 13" TB model.

Note that the TB model has a slightly more powerful integrated GPU as well (Iris 550 vs 540)
Both my Non-TB models with Iris 540 got an OpenCL score of around 29000. The few 13" TB results with the 550 appear to be around 30000.

I doubt that it would be noticeable. The bench test will sell a lot of Macs, though. As a lot of people live and breath by what the stats show, instead of real world usage.

Reactions: coopercoop

coopercoop

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
The non-touchbar version seems to be the wiser decision at this point, unless the touchbar itself proves quite useful. The extra battery life in the non-touchbar would also be handy.

Reactions: wlossw

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
The non-touchbar version seems to be the wiser decision at this point, unless the touchbar itself proves quite useful. The extra battery life in the non-touchbar would also be handy.
True. I really wish Apple had released a third model with just Touch ID, and make it $100 more than the base. I would have been all over that. My base model arrives tomorrow (UPS has updated again). Looking forward to putting it through its paces the next 10 days. If I see a great deal on the TB version, I might jump just for the Touch ID.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
So should this laptop have just been called the new 13" MacBook Air? In many ways it does seem to be what many Air users were asking for.

dingclancy23

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2015
Maybe they've based the estimate on the non TB version.
Most people are reporting 10 to 11 hours of browsing, which is absolutely in line with Apple's realistic to slightly understated estimates which we've seen in the past.

Marketing might have gotten too much influence at Apple lately and decided "Nah, you can't advertise the new, premium model with 7 hours while the budget model comes with 10 hours"

Just think about this in general:
All 13" and 15" MBPs have an advertised runtime of 10 hours while sporting mostly different hardware. What's the chance that they all hit the same wonderful advertisement-friendly number of 10 hours without some tricks? That would've been a miracle.

And the cheapest/oldest Macbook Air is quoted at 12 hours! Sigh. Are they even advertising the fact that their cheapest laptop has 12 hours battery life? For me I do not care about the Retina if it takes a hit on how I use it.

A 12-hour battery life changes how you use a laptop.

No matter what the newer models has, it would not have the revolutionary change of usage that I get with my MBA.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013

So you essentially spend $300 more for:
- 5% more CPU (cannot even tell)
- 5% more GPU (my gosh)
- a Touch Bar (those folks over TheVerge said the use was quite awkward and it lagged sometimes in Safari. Yuck)
- 2 more ports (might be handy for some, not for me though. The only things I connect to my laptop nowadays are the charger and mouse)
- faster RAM (non-existent real world usage)
- Touch ID is the only thing I find remotely useful

Cons:
- The guys over Ars Tecnica said that they got 6h of battery life on the TB model. It was so bad that Apple sent another machine. But the battery life on the new machine was still 6h. TheVerge reported 7.5-8.5h though, seems to be 2-3 hours lower than the non-TB version.

I'm sorry, but performance/price-wise, the non-TB is obviously a better choice. TheVerge gave the non-TB a score of 8.6, and the TB a score of 7.6.

Had a argument with a guy in another thread, he said "but-but-but my TB MacBook Pro has better CPU! better! GPU! faster RAM!" yada yada.

Dude, my desktop with GTX 1070 and i7-6700K blows your "better CPU", "better GPU" outta the water.

Last edited:

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
So you essentially spend $300 more for:
- 5% more CPU (cannot even tell)
- 5% more GPU (my gosh)
- a Touch Bar (those folks over TheVerge said the use was quite awkward and it lagged sometimes in Safari. Yuck)
- 1 more fan (but it runs with a 28W chip)
- 2 more ports (might be handy for some, not for me though. The only things I connect to my laptop nowadays are the charger and mouse)
- faster RAM (non-existent real world usage)
- Touch ID is the only thing I find remotely useful

Cons:
- The guys over Ars Tecnica said that they got 6h of battery life on the TB model. It was so bad that Apple sent another machine. But the battery life on the new machine was still 6h. TheVerge reported 7.5-8.5h though, seems to be 2-3 hours lower than the non-TB version.

I'm sorry, but performance/price-wise, the non-TB is obviously a better choice. TheVerge gave the non-TB a score of 8.6, and the TB a score of 7.6.

Had a argument with a guy in another thread, he said "but-but-but my TB MacBook Pro has better CPU! better! GPU! faster RAM!" yada yada.

Dude, my desktop with GTX 1070 and i7-6700K blows your "better CPU", "better GPU" outta the water.

Pretty much think the non-touch bar is almost always more worth it.

I can't think of a scenario where you will feel the performance difference between the two models, since it seems like the 15w model is hard to throttle. Maybe if you seem to somehow do something both cpu and gpu intensive enough that it actually makes the 15w model lag, but what is the chance that in these circumstances, that even the 28w model isn't enough to not lag? It might be just that you actually need the 15" quad core variant. I think the 28w is in a place which is more power than you need or not enough power that you need. Probably explains the huge popularity of 15w laptops and 45w laptops, but hardly any 28w laptops.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
That's the thing about those 28W CPUs.

You are still getting the same dual core, you are getting the same iGPU but with a higher thermal limit.
The higher TDP will help if you are pushing CPU and GPU to the maximum for a prolonged time, but that's not what most people who buy a 13" ultrabook will do. For all other use cases this comes down to a 5% difference on paper and none in real life. As long as you are only pushing CPU or GPU hard and the other one light to medium, the 15W chip will perform the same.

Doubling TDP while gaining most likely nothing is a bad deal compared to tripling TDP to 45W and doubling the amount of cores while slightly increasing single core performance aswell.

By the way:
There are 35W quad core options which have pretty much identical single core performance to the 15/28W CPUs but double the cores. Making the 13" with TB a 35W quad core would've been possible and a clear differentiation between the 13" 'MacBook Air replacement' and the new 13" 'MacBook Pro'.

Last edited:

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Pretty much think the non-touch bar is almost always more worth it.

I can't think of a scenario where you will feel the performance difference between the two models, since it seems like the 15w model is hard to throttle. Maybe if you seem to somehow do something both cpu and gpu intensive enough that it actually makes the 15w model lag, but what is the chance that in these circumstances, that even the 28w model isn't enough to not lag? It might be just that you actually need the 15" quad core variant. I think the 28w is in a place which is more power than you need or not enough power that you need. Probably explains the huge popularity of 15w laptops and 45w laptops, but hardly any 28w laptops.

My line of thoughts. That's why I have an ultrabook like the non-TB 13 when I'm on the road/traveling, which I use mainly for Office 365, PDF, Safari, Mail, Calendar, and iTunes, and I come home to my robust desktop.

I can bet you if both models got price cut of $300, i.e. this model starts at $1199 and the other at $1499, this model will woo the MacBook Air crowd (which are the largest) even more.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I am not sure about that, there is no space in the 13" for one more fan, I think only the 15" has 2 fans.
I'm pretty sure there was a thread somewhere with pictures that showed the 13" TB with two fans... which thread it is I can't remember for the life of me.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Cons:
Other way round, The Verge got a poor Battery time, the other sites got better. You got the sites mixed up.

Also I don't think The Verge's mere scoring is a good way to go about your decisions, but I agree that the spec bump is probably not worth the battery hit.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Other way round, The Verge got a poor Battery time, the other sites got better. You got the sites mixed up.

Also I don't think The Verge's mere scoring is a good way to go about your decisions, but I agree that the spec bump is probably not worth the battery hit.

I think poor battery life is expected due to battery capacity and the use of a 28w CPU. The fact some are getting better/worse is just down to what they are using, but using identical non-display focused work loads, it will be a lot worse than previous generation 13" rMBP 28w.

I think non-display focused work load is key because, the energy saving display may hide some of the battery capacity cut that Apple has applied, but it won't help it when the main source of battery drain is CPU/GPU related. We have to remember we used to have a 74wh battery before - Now 49wh for the 28w model and 54wh for the 15w model (which is a strange decision by Apple to have the higher capacity on the less powerful machine).

I say, buy the non-touch bar model if you need a 13" form factor, otherwise get the 15" - for value for money.

Reactions: Wowereit and Sheza

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
all depends by habits: if you use a lot of Apple default apps, then you'll use TB a lot more than those who download a lot from third party (like Safari vs. Chrome, for example), or if you use it closed and linked to an external screen, which makes the TB useless.

I think that the perfect target of TB Pro are those who use it as a primary permament workstation at home/office, while if you need battery, portability (I don-t see the TB so comfortable to use it "on the go"), or usually make use of an external monitor... then it is better to spend your money on improving the base nTB model.

So should this laptop have just been called the new 13" MacBook Air? In many ways it does seem to be what many Air users were asking for.

As me the "old" Air is the 12" Macbook (portability, light, thin, eternal battery), the nTB Pro performances are slightly better than 2015 13" Pro (with much more improvement on GPU)... so why don't we have to call it a Pro? :)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think that all depends by habits: if you use a lot of Apple default apps, then you'll use TB a lot more than those who download a lot from third party (like Safari vs. Chrome, for example), or if you use it closed and linked to an external screen, which makes the TB useless.

I think that the perfect target of TB Pro are those who use it as a primary permament workstation at home/office, if you need battery, portability (or use an external monitor)... then it is better to spend your money on improving the base model.

I think that the "old" Air is the 12" Macbook (portability, light, thin, eternal battery), the nTB Pro performances are slightly better than 2015 13" Pro (with much more improvement on GPU)... so why don't we have to call it a Pro? :)

People making that claim have not looked into it. They are just looking at specs. The base 13" no TB is closer to a maxed out 13" pro from 2015.

Reactions: Lollo

colorfuel

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2015

What version of Geekbench is used here? Geekbench 3.4.1? Geekbench 4.0.1? 32 or 64bit ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.