Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
If you're not sure then 8GB is probably okay. The SSD on these are quite fast, read speeds >2GB and write ~1.5GB, so paging will be that much quicker if it does happen. That said, if I were to keep the machine for more than a couple years I'd go to 16 on the RAM, but most won't need it.
Problem is, I have 4gb at the moment and it is way too little for my needs. Also, while I would love to keep the laptop for as many years as I can, I feel the next version will be significantly better.

Argh, I'm thinking and comparing too much, and I don't like to think this much about a perishable piece of technology.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Picked up the accessories for my new MBP at the local store, and got to play around with the same stock MBP that I am having delivered tomorrow. I was really impressed with the screen quality and build of the Mac. As to the keyboard, I didn't find it overly loud but it will take some getting used to. I will give a review of the MBP tomorrow evening, after I have had a chance to set it up and use it for a few hours.

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Well looks like I'm gonna cancel the 13TB 16/512 and reconsider this one.
Was scared about the battery life and reviews seem to confirm that.

Now it's MB12 2016 vs 13 non TB and even the Pro 13 2015 being considered...

Reactions: vddobrev

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
So far the battery life on my non touch model seems quite good, I have been watching Youtube videos and surfing amazon for the past almost hour,
Battery percentage : 97%

The estimated time is fluctuating, i think it will take for it to settle down
As initially it showed me 11 hours, and went dow to 8 hours , while the battery percentage remained at 100%
at the moment it is showing 8:57

Over all, super impressed with my first day use :D

Reactions: vddobrev

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010

If you need 512GB of storage and 16GB of RAM I doubt the rMB (12 inch) is suited to you...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So far the battery life on my non touch model seems quite good, I have been watching Youtube videos and surfing amazon for the past almost hour,
Battery percentage : 97%

The estimated time is fluctuating, i think it will take for it to settle down
As initially it showed me 11 hours, and went dow to 8 hours , while the battery percentage remained at 100%
at the moment it is showing 8:57

Over all, super impressed with my first day use :D
Anytime you are using the computer on battery, the estimated battery time remaining count will continue to fluctuate.
Indexing lag as many here are used to with older machines is not an issue with the newer machines. ;)

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad

I have a 2014 13" rMBP, just tried the M5 12" rMB for a couple weeks. I really like the rMB, just not sure if it's comfy as an all-day machine for me. I was able to type fast on the keyboard but it wasn't as pleasant an experience, and the screen real estate could have been better (I do 1920x1200 on my 13", was doing 1650x1050 on the 12"), plus I think something just a little more substantial feeling is in order. When I returned the rMB I tried out the new base rMBP and really fell for it -- the tweak done to the feel of the v2 butterfly design really nails it IMO, and the screen is just a knockout.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Ok all of you none touch 13 inch macbook pro owners. after reading tons of reviews about the touch bar 13 version today, it seems like you all made a very smart decision :D

Reactions: Wowereit and zone23

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Check out the review on The Verge -- the author could only get 5:30-6 hrs with fairly basic use. It was so poor that Apple sent another laptop for further evaluation, but it was the same. Other reviews seem to be a bit better, but my impression from what I've seen is that the difference is more around 3hrs with normal use.

If this is true it's horrifically bad. Apple has been fairly conservative in their battery estimates in the past. Seems strange that they'd overestimate battery life by 4 hours?

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
On my non-TB 13"

Attachments

• 2016-11-14_17-04-21.png
    2016-11-14_17-04-21.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 271

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
On my non-TB 13"
are you even using it ?
i unplugged around 3.5 hours ago
Installed VLC, Downloaded a movie, saw the movie, did some youtube video and surfing in between , i am on 65% with estimate of 6 hours more, I think thats quite impressive

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
On my non-TB 13"

Hey budfoot that's an awesome time. My highest estimates are around 8 hours on the non touch with i7, 16gb, and 512 gb.

Is it possible for you to download coconut battery and take a screenshot so I can compare?

Also could you take a screenshot of your energy tab in activity monitor so I can compare?

It would really help figure why I don't get battery life like yours.

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
  • I've had a few quick games of Football Manager 2017 which runs well, but the fans kick in as soon as the match engine starts and the laptop runs very hot to the touch underneath.

No issues running FM 2017... thats what i want to hear, i mostly use my MBP to play this life wrecking game.

How many leagues are u running? do the graphics look good?

Hopefully i'll have my new 15in 2.9ghz AMD 460 this week, so i can get back into my third season...

Football Manager has always run my MBP's hot

Hey pals... another FM-addicted here. It's a serious disease...! :D

As this nTB will be my first Mac and FM is the only game I seriously play, can you tell me if it gets hot also if you play with 2D during matches? I really hate 3D, so I don't really care about that.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
If this is true it's horrifically bad. Apple has been fairly conservative in their battery estimates in the past. Seems strange that they'd overestimate battery life by 4 hours?

Maybe they've based the estimate on the non TB version.
Most people are reporting 10 to 11 hours of browsing, which is absolutely in line with Apple's realistic to slightly understated estimates which we've seen in the past.

Marketing might have gotten too much influence at Apple lately and decided "Nah, you can't advertise the new, premium model with 7 hours while the budget model comes with 10 hours"

Just think about this in general:
All 13" and 15" MBPs have an advertised runtime of 10 hours while sporting mostly different hardware. What's the chance that they all hit the same wonderful advertisement-friendly number of 10 hours without some tricks? That would've been a miracle.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Hey budfoot that's an awesome time. My highest estimates are around 8 hours on the non touch with i7, 16gb, and 512 gb.

Is it possible for you to download coconut battery and take a screenshot so I can compare?

Also could you take a screenshot of your energy tab in activity monitor so I can compare?

It would really help figure why I don't get battery life like yours.

Wouldn't the i7 model get less battery life than the i5?

Anyway - I notice the time remaining fluctuates a lot on mine, even the charge time is off. It will frequently say it will take 1:30 to charge maybe 20%, but it certainly doesn't take that long.

When it shows a low battery remaining time, can you close the lid for a few minutes, then open it and see if it's changed?

That usually changes the time remaining for me. It went from 7ish to about 11 just from doing that earlier today.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
are you even using it ?
i unplugged around 3.5 hours ago
Installed VLC, Downloaded a movie, saw the movie, did some youtube video and surfing in between , i am on 65% with estimate of 6 hours more, I think thats quite impressive

Hahah! Yes, I am. I've safari open with about 10 tabs, Mail connected to exchange, messages connected to iCloud and google chat, hipchat, and two iterm windows connected to AWS instances via SSH.

2016-11-14_19-31-16.png
2016-11-14_19-32-07.png

Qwe9203

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
Can someone please let us know if the 512GB or 1TB SSD is Sandisk or Samsung?????? It should say something like SMXXX model number on the System Report. Thanks.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Just an update, my Laptop has been on battery for 6:39 minutes (got this from activity monitor). I have watched a movie, installed 2 application, browsed the internet, watched youtube videos, while my email is connected. Did download a movie as well
Battery remaining - 37%
Estimated time remaining - 3:03

So close to 10 hours for moderate use, that is super impressive :D

Reactions: Apple_Robert

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Looks like my delivery is going to be back at the 16th, instead of tomorrow as estimated, unless UPS gets my Mac on a plane quickly and gets moving. Darn. The early delivery estimate got me psyched up.
well UPS said End of day delivery and then woke me up at 9 am so you never know :p
Yes i was sleepy, but soo happy, i wont lie i have been using the laptop since 9:30 ,,, and its 2:30 am now xD

Reactions: Lollo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.