Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I have 4 desktops open, 3 instances of safari with 12 tabs total, sublime text open, skim with a PDF, and am listening to a podcast - CPU is about high 80s-mid 90s idle (97% idle as I type this), memory pressure is 1/3rd filled and green, and everything is snappy. Although I'm using just a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

Hi, could you possibly replicate this scenario with the petite rMB and then tell about the memory pressure graph? It would be of great help.

Also, which rMB is this? I am looking into an m5 2016 model.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I honestly think the battery life is sucking at the moment. It was around 45% charge, and now 9%, and I've only been using it for 1h39m for web surfing (no sound/music either). And the brightness is also 5 lower than the highest brightness. Makes me feel like returning my macbook for a refund and ordering the 2015 model.

Average energy impact of Opera web browser is 36.92 according to Activity Monitor. I wonder if other browsers have a lower energy footprint.

Other than the battery and some wifi issues, I pretty much like the rest of the macbook, keyboard and all.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I honestly think the battery life is sucking at the moment. It was around 45% charge, and now 9%, and I've only been using it for 1h39m for web surfing (no sound/music either). And the brightness is also 5 lower than the highest brightness. Makes me feel like returning my macbook for a refund and ordering the 2015 model.

Average energy impact of Opera web browser is 36.92 according to Activity Monitor. I wonder if other browsers have a lower energy footprint.

Other than the battery and some wifi issues, I pretty much like the rest of the macbook, keyboard and all.
The energy impact for Opera sounds high. If apps like Opera are causing you to have less battery life, you can't rightly blame Apple for their latest model.

If an app has a memory leak or some other problem that is adding to the system load and reducing battery life, I don't see how changing to a 15" Mac is going to suddenly stop the bugged app from being buggy.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Yeah I thought it was high, that's why I mentioned it, to see if it was part of the puzzle. But without knowing the energy impacts of other web browsers, I have nothing to compare it to. I'll try run some other web browsers now, but for anyone who uses Safari regularly, can your share the average energy footprint?

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Yeah I thought it was high, that's why I mentioned it, to see if it was part of the puzzle. But without knowing the energy impacts of other web browsers, I have nothing to compare it to. I'll try run some other web browsers now, but for anyone who uses Safari regularly, can your share the average energy footprint?
Why can't you use Safari in parallel and open the same tabs and compare the energy impact.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Why can't you use Safari in parallel and open the same tabs and compare the energy impact.

That's what I'm doing right now, but energy impact only seems to go up when it's in use loading pages. So really I can only test 1 at a time.

I asked because I assume a lot of mac uses use safari as default and they could have given an immediate answer.

For example Opera's current energy impact is 0.1 when not in use.
[doublepost=1479065628][/doublepost]I'm not sure how long I have to keep browsing in 1 browser until it calculates the average. But I don't think Opera is the problem. Because when looking at the immediate energy impact, it goes back down right after the page has loaded. So I'm still leaning this is a battery problem more than anything.

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
That's what I'm doing right now, but energy impact only seems to go up when it's in use loading pages. So really I can only test 1 at a time.

I asked because I assume a lot of mac uses use safari as default and they could have given an immediate answer.

For example Opera's current energy impact is 0.1 when not in use.
[doublepost=1479065628][/doublepost]I'm not sure how long I have to keep browsing in 1 browser until it calculates the average. But I don't think Opera is the problem. Because when looking at the immediate energy impact, it goes back down right after the page has loaded. So I'm still leaning this is a battery problem more than anything.
5 lower than max is stil high brightness, especially for this new bright screen. For pure browsing with Safari, I get 8:51 estimated with 80% battery on my 2015 13" rMBP, but I keep brightness below 50%.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Ok so I've charged this up to 100%. And put the brightness on half. Battery estimates 6h20 at 97%, and all I'm doing is light web surfing.

Kind of disappointed with the battery life and having to use this brightness. Makes me think of backing up my mac, returning it, buying the 2015 model, and restoring the backup.

Then again, I love everything else about it. So I'm going to have to weigh up the options.

The thing I'm most worried about, is if the battery is like this now. I can't imagine the battery life after months or years of use when the battery starts degrading.

I mean if I'm getting around 3 hours on a brightness I find acceptable (5 less then top), and I'm getting around 7h on half the brightness. I'm not really happy about it. So I'll have to test it the next few days and then make a decision of what to do.

Anyone feeling like the battery life is bad?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Ok so I've charged this up to 100%. And put the brightness on half. Battery estimates 6h20 at 97%, and all I'm doing is light web surfing.

Kind of disappointed with the battery life and having to use this brightness. Makes me think of backing up my mac, returning it, buying the 2015 model, and restoring the backup.

Then again, I love everything else about it. So I'm going to have to weigh up the options.

The thing I'm most worried about, is if the battery is like this now. I can't imagine the battery life after months or years of use when the battery starts degrading.

I mean if I'm getting around 3 hours on a brightness I find acceptable (5 less then top), and I'm getting around 7h on half the brightness. I'm not really happy about it. So I'll have to test it the next few days and then make a decision of what to do.

Something is not right with there, mine was estimating over 15 hours at 3/4 brightness with light web surfing.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
My base model gets 12-14 hours just browsing, word and iMessage. If I'm using steam stream battery life goes down to about 10 hours. I just let the computer adjust brightness automatically and if I find it too bright which it often is I put it down even further.

Pyali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
Is yours the base model? And what OS version are you on? (I've yet to update sierra).
I think theres something definitely wrong with your battery. My brightness is at usually 5ish from max and I have multiple tabs of safari open and I get around 8-9 hours constantly surfing the web/watching a bit of youtube.

Also my safari energy impact is at average of 9.2 and 2-3 when I'm just scrolling around on the webpage. Seems like the opera browser is the source of your problems. Try a whole charge with only using safari

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria

Things you can do to really test if it is the battery:
- Check your start up items and disable all.
- Create a new user and test from there
- Clean install without any additional apps and no restore from backup

Charge 100% and see what you get. Keep it plugged a little more after it show 100%, as sometimes it may continue charging even though it shows 100%.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
So I just got my delivered like 30 mins ago. They said end of the day and then woke me up at 9:30 am :p
Anyways so far, all is good.
The screen is gorgeous
the ui is fast and responsive
over all quite happy
the keyboard is .... different, but I tried out the 12 inch MacBook keyboard In Apple Store, at least it feels better than that. And yes the keys do make a loud click sound

I haven't transferred any data over to the laptop, so that means spotlight won't be doing any indexing? or does it still have to do indexing for preinstalled stuff ?

as far as battery life is concerned, I have auto brightness on, with one bar below half brightness. It came with 80% charge, it shows 75% now but the estimated time is 8 hours (in start it was 7 hours 30 mins). I think it will take a few cycles till the estimate settles down
So far so good, Now only if amazon would deliver my usb c hub so I can test the damn wifi thing :p Without anything connected, the wifi is showing no problems

Reactions: Lollo and vddobrev

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Now I've been using it for a while, I still have nothing but positive feedback for the laptop. I took a bit of a convoluted route before ending up with this particular model and the only nagging doubt I had was whether I should instead go with my original choice of a touchbar model.

For what its worth, I think the touchbar is a really exciting feature and I can't wait to see what developers do with it, but I use my laptop in clamshell mode a lot of the time, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it. That model plus the memory upgrade I had planned because, well, I could, took the price to nearly £500 more than this model. And so far this laptop has handled everything I've thrown at it without breaking sweat.
  • Screen is stunning, but coming from an 11" MBA that's to be expected.
  • The build quality is Apple's usual high standard - the body of the laptop just feels like the usual big chunk of metal we've come to expect. Its still fairly portable, obviously not like the Air, but its a nice balance between power, screen size and weight. I certainly wouldn't like to lug a 15" version of this around as I do like something smaller and lighter.
  • I've been using a Magic Keyboard for a while so I quite like the keyboard.
  • Speakers are good enough to use on their own when I'm travelling and in hotel rooms and the like. Nice bass and clarity.
  • Touchpad works very well and I've had no problems with palm rejection or any of the gestures not working very well - three finger drag has been mentioned online as being problematic.
  • Wi-Fi and USB-C works fine for me.
  • Battery life is good - apart from a few small panics when certain applications seem to be hammering the battery, I've been working since 08:30 today and still have 8hrs, 30mins expected battery left. Today's work has mainly been in Citrix, Safari, Mail, Photos and Pages.
  • Performance wise its very snappy indeed. The one upgrade I had ordered on my cancelled touchbar model was the 8-16GB RAM upgrade, but so far I've not had any RAM issues. I guess the most traditionally intensive thing I've been doing is using imovie to edit 4K video from a GoPro.
  • I've had a few quick games of Football Manager 2017 which runs well, but the fans kick in as soon as the match engine starts and the laptop runs very hot to the touch underneath.
  • When using it with an external monitor I've had some strange behaviour when disconnecting the Apple AV adapter. I'm connecting it to a 27" Dell screen and when I use it in clamshell mode and disconnect the adapter, I open the laptop and the screen is black as if the Mac thinks its still connected to the screen, so I need to reboot it.

brynsmith23

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
Australia/NZ
Now I've been using it for a while, I still have nothing but positive feedback for the laptop. I took a bit of a convoluted route before ending up with this particular model and the only nagging doubt I had was whether I should instead go with my original choice of a touchbar model.

For what its worth, I think the touchbar is a really exciting feature and I can't wait to see what developers do with it, but I use my laptop in clamshell mode a lot of the time, so I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it. That model plus the memory upgrade I had planned because, well, I could, took the price to nearly £500 more than this model. And so far this laptop has handled everything I've thrown at it without breaking sweat.
  • Screen is stunning, but coming from an 11" MBA that's to be expected.
  • The build quality is Apple's usual high standard - the body of the laptop just feels like the usual big chunk of metal we've come to expect. Its still fairly portable, obviously not like the Air, but its a nice balance between power, screen size and weight. I certainly wouldn't like to lug a 15" version of this around as I do like something smaller and lighter.
  • I've been using a Magic Keyboard for a while so I quite like the keyboard.
  • Speakers are good enough to use on their own when I'm travelling and in hotel rooms and the like. Nice bass and clarity.
  • Touchpad works very well and I've had no problems with palm rejection or any of the gestures not working very well - three finger drag has been mentioned online as being problematic.
  • Wi-Fi and USB-C works fine for me.
  • Battery life is good - apart from a few small panics when certain applications seem to be hammering the battery, I've been working since 08:30 today and still have 8hrs, 30mins expected battery left. Today's work has mainly been in Citrix, Safari, Mail, Photos and Pages.
  • Performance wise its very snappy indeed. The one upgrade I had ordered on my cancelled touchbar model was the 8-16GB RAM upgrade, but so far I've not had any RAM issues. I guess the most traditionally intensive thing I've been doing is using imovie to edit 4K video from a GoPro.
  • I've had a few quick games of Football Manager 2017 which runs well, but the fans kick in as soon as the match engine starts and the laptop runs very hot to the touch underneath.
  • When using it with an external monitor I've had some strange behaviour when disconnecting the Apple AV adapter. I'm connecting it to a 27" Dell screen and when I use it in clamshell mode and disconnect the adapter, I open the laptop and the screen is black as if the Mac thinks its still connected to the screen, so I need to reboot it.

No issues running FM 2017... thats what i want to hear, i mostly use my MBP to play this life wrecking game.

How many leagues are u running? do the graphics look good?

Hopefully i'll have my new 15in 2.9ghz AMD 460 this week, so i can get back into my third season...

Football Manager has always run my MBP's hot

Reactions: Lollo

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
A couple of things :p
1) this is my first Apple product and first MacBook, damn the track pad is amazing :p
2) My old laptop fan remained on tornado mode 24/7, this machine... its quite to say the least
3) I did run geekbench4 but the results were kinda disappointing and lower than what every one else getting (31xx for single core 68xx for multicore). I guess there might have been some background processes. I will let it settle down and try again
4) I like the keyboard so far, of course the lack of key travel is different than my older laptop, but I don't seem to making mistakes and I enjoy the feedback, I think I will get used to of it very soon. I do miss the numbed though :p
5) I didn't know for hard press, you had to press that hard :p (default setting)

As you can tell, I am quite excited about this, I have an unboxing video planned, but amazon has delayed the USB-c dongle shipment, I will make it once I transfer the clips to my laptop

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
A couple of things :p
1) this is my first Apple product and first MacBook, damn the track pad is amazing :p
2) My old laptop fan remained on tornado mode 24/7, this machine... its quite to say the least
3) I did run geekbench4 but the results were kinda disappointing and lower than what every one else getting (31xx for single core 68xx for multicore). I guess there might have been some background processes. I will let it settle down and try again
4) I like the keyboard so far, of course the lack of key travel is different than my older laptop, but I don't seem to making mistakes and I enjoy the feedback, I think I will get used to of it very soon. I do miss the numbed though :p
5) I didn't know for hard press, you had to press that hard :p (default setting)

As you can tell, I am quite excited about this, I have an unboxing video planned, but amazon has delayed the USB-c dongle shipment, I will make it once I transfer the clips to my laptop

1) Congratulations, and welcome to Apple/Mac!!!
2) Yep, my 2015 barely makes a sound.
3) Plugged in or on battery? What else was running?
5) Configure it in settings

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Plugged in or on battery? What else was running?
Plugged in, And i did close other apps, though during the test a pop up came up about how there is an update that i should run, and do i want to update automatically, so it might be doing something in the background.

not really worried about benchmark scores. As long as i get real life performane

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Question for current owners , did you ever notice any lag when multitasking? t
hat's basically my biggest concern regarding this 15w model , I owned the 12 macbook and the lagging when multitasking drove me crazy

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
hat's basically my biggest concern regarding this 15w model , I owned the 12 macbook and the lagging when multitasking drove me crazy
I will let you know later today, i am about to start editing some video on final cut pro.

Reactions: Abaganov

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London

Out of curiosity, what did you multi-task - and was you using any VM's?

Thanks.

Abaganov

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Out of curiosity, what did you multi-task - and was you using any VM's?

Thanks.

not something too serious , just tons of tabs on 2 different safari browsers , plugged into external monitor , listening to music , watching a video on VLC player , some logic editing here and there.

from my experience , VM's couldn't really run on the base macbook 2015 , the lag made it not possible to run for me

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
not something too serious , just tons of tabs on 2 different safari browsers , plugged into external monitor , listening to music , watching a video on VLC player , some logic editing here and there.

from my experience , VM's couldn't really run on the base macbook 2015 , the lag made it not possible to run for me
I have around 10 tabs open on safari and i am editing the unboxing video on final cut pro x. Smooth as silk so far.

Reactions: Abaganov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.