Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Havre

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
is 16gb a must ?

I bought with 16, but I couldn't tell you how much it actually influences the performance. I just hate the idea of running out of memory some years from now. If that is a rational fear or not I don't know.

Randomly checked my usage yesterday and I was up at around 12 without really doing anything special. I was a bit surprised.

Reactions: blackberrycubed

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
I bought with 16, but I couldn't tell you how much it actually influences the performance. I just hate the idea of running out of memory some years from now. If that is a rational fear or not I don't know.

Randomly checked my usage yesterday and I was up at around 12 without really doing anything special. I was a bit surprised.

No matter how much RAM you have you'd have that.

I can bet that even if you had 32GB the computer will still find a way to use 26GB somehow lol.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I gotta say, I've had the 13" non-TB for a few days, and it's grown on me quite a bit.

My wife has the hdmi dongle for her 12" rMB, and we've been sharing it with the monitor and her Logitech keyboard/mouse...just dealing with the 1 port for charging/usb/hdmi is surprisingly convenient.

I have 4 desktops open, 3 instances of safari with 12 tabs total, sublime text open, skim with a PDF, and am listening to a podcast - CPU is about high 80s-mid 90s idle (97% idle as I type this), memory pressure is 1/3rd filled and green, and everything is snappy. Although I'm using just a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

But I'm really liking it so far.

edit --

lol, and right after I type this and disconnect the adaptor/turn off the keyboard/mouse, I get a graphics error. On the laptops display, the mouse lags and shows trails, and windows keep flickering in and out. I restarted it and it's fine now..

Last edited:

Havre

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
Doesn't mean you were running out of RAM... It has been said many times, check the memory pressure graph - green, yellow, or red?

I was fine. Would have been interesting to see how it would have worked if I only had 8 though. I have no idea. Assuming the difference wouldn't be all that significant.

MattSeven

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
I would love to see Activity Monitor screen prints for a 6-hr battery life vs. 10hr battery life. But who's actually going to sit at their computer for 10 hours?

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands

Even if you had 1 Terabyte RAM, after a while you will be using it. OS never really leaves the RAM empty, Say you are running 2 tasks, and working on one and not using the other at all, the OS will still keep the other task in RAM as long as their is space. It only removes stuff from RAM when more is needed usually (In a very basic implementation it would remove the Least Recently Used). So the OS will keep filling up the RAM till it needs to replace some stuff even if RAM is full of data that is not being used at all
There is a saying - Free RAM is useless RAM

mistergadgett

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
I gotta say, I've had the 13" non-TB for a few days, and it's grown on me quite a bit.

My wife has the hdmi dongle for her 12" rMB, and we've been sharing it with the monitor and her Logitech keyboard/mouse...just dealing with the 1 port for charging/usb/hdmi is surprisingly convenient.

I have 4 desktops open, 3 instances of safari with 12 tabs total, sublime text open, skim with a PDF, and am listening to a podcast - CPU is about high 80s-mid 90s idle (97% idle as I type this), memory pressure is 1/3rd filled and green, and everything is snappy. Although I'm using just a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

But I'm really liking it so far.

edit --

lol, and right after I type this and disconnect the adaptor/turn off the keyboard/mouse, I get a graphics error. On the laptops display, the mouse lags and shows trails, and windows keep flickering in and out. I restarted it and it's fine now..

Which configuration did you get? the 2.0GHz w/ 8GB RAM? or some upgrades?

Still can't decide on the 8GB or the 16GB RAM option. Planning to keep for 4-5 years. Mostly would be web / email / music / itunes movies / office stuff and some occasional basic GoPro / Garmin Virb video editing, also would like to get into some XCode / Swift development at some point. I have an early 2011 MBP 13" 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 / 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 now.

Any thoughts or suggestions? So close to ordering but just not sure.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Still can't decide on the 8GB or the 16GB RAM option. Planning to keep for 4-5 years. Mostly would be web / email / music / itunes movies / office stuff and some occasional basic GoPro / Garmin Virb video editing, also would like to get into some XCode / Swift development at some point. I have an early 2011 MBP 13" 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 / 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 now.

RAM is the most important thing in Macs for longevity (and graphics cards, but those upgrades aren't available on most machines). If you want 4+ years, upgrade the RAM (only the 27" iMac and Mac Pro now have user replaceable RAM).

Reactions: mistergadgett

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria

You will be fine with 8GB, but 16GB upgrade is only $200 - spread it over 4-5 years, and see how cheap it is.

Reactions: mistergadgett

Havre

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
Even if you had 1 Terabyte RAM, after a while you will be using it. OS never really leaves the RAM empty, Say you are running 2 tasks, and working on one and not using the other at all, the OS will still keep the other task in RAM as long as their is space. It only removes stuff from RAM when more is needed usually (In a very basic implementation it would remove the Least Recently Used). So the OS will keep filling up the RAM till it needs to replace some stuff even if RAM is full of data that is not being used at all
There is a saying - Free RAM is useless RAM

That part I do understand.

Anyway to "fake" having 8 even if you got 16? Just to force the issue to see the effect.

Unfortunately I can't afford getting two machines for this :D

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
That part I do understand.

Anyway to "fake" having 8 even if you got 16? Just to force the issue to see the effect.

Unfortunately I can't afford getting two machines for this :D
Open your laptop, take a saw and cut your ram in half :p

Maybe run a VM and assign it 8GB RAM, though that will still not give you the exact performance due to VM overhead.

For me I have been using 8GB RAM on my windows laptop and its enough for my use.
And I ordered the the Macbook Pro with an 8GB RAM because quite honestly, I cannot afford the extra 225 EURO for the 16GB Upgrade

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I bought my new MacBook Pro yesterday and so far I am loving it. A huge improvement over my old early 2011 MacBook Pro. I got the 2.0 with the 256GBSSD in Space Grey. The thinness, the weight and the speed are so much better than the previous one I had.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

LGIR627

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Did anyone go from a 12" rMB to a 13" base and care to share the difference performance wise?

calvincty

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Malaysia
I would love to see Activity Monitor screen prints for a 6-hr battery life vs. 10hr battery life. But who's actually going to sit at their computer for 10 hours?

I have fully depleting the battery and charge it again while I'm back to my country (my country voltage is larger than Japan). Unplug after the full charge and used about 2:45 hours (Safari 6 - 8 tabs + Setting up virtualbox ubuntu server, background apps opened but should be inactive - Gdrive, Dropbox already sync completed), now 76% battery left and est. 5.5 hours remaining.

It is much better now compare to the previous usage

Reactions: MattSeven

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Just ordered the base non-touch bar model with the 256 GB SD, along with the G-Technology 2TB G-Drive Mobile Portable Hard Drive - USB 3.0, USB-C to Lightning Cable, and a Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. If all goes as planned from the website, I should be able to do the local store pick up tomorrow. Will be interesting to compare my current late 2011 MBP with upgraded SSD to the new 2016 model. :)

Reactions: hj576

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Just ordered the base non-touch bar model with the 256 GB SD, along with the G-Technology 2TB G-Drive Mobile Portable Hard Drive - USB 3.0, USB-C to Lightning Cable, and a Belkin USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. If all goes as planned from the website, I should be able to do the local store pick up tomorrow. Will be interesting to compare my current late 2011 MBP with upgraded SSD to the new 2016 model. :)
This is discrimination, I Ordered mine on 1st November, And I wont have it till Monday. You order one today and get it tomorrow :p

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
This is discrimination, I Ordered mine on 1st November, And I wont have it till Monday. You order one today and get it tomorrow :p
I just found out that even though the Apple site showed the computer as being in stock at the local store, it is being shipped and won't be here until November 16. The accessories are available for local pick up. Go figure. lol I got the space gray.

For those who already have the base model...

1. Have any of you experienced problems with the keys imprinting on the screen or creating any other type of problems when the lid is closed?

2. Are any of you using a keyboard cover? If so, how has your particular brand worked thus far?

3. Anyone experiencing problems with wifi not working, while one of the USB-C ports was being used?

4. Have any of you noticed if the MBP in space gray seems to collect smudges and fingerprints more readily than previous models?

5. What are you using to clean the dust and smudges off your MBP?

6. Has anyone found a cheaper place to buy AppleCare than B&H Video? If so, where and how much?

7. If any of you have bought adapters from the Apple Store for your new MBP, how well have they worked and have you noticed any problems with them?

Last edited:
Reactions: calvincty

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I got one last week (base, non-touchbar)

1. No
2. No, wifi still working perfectly fine with usb port being used
3. a big YES. You will see smudges and fingerprints very very easily.
5. just a cloth
6. I am in Europe ;) and used the EDU discount
7. no probs so far.

Very satisfied so far, love tht design, love the beautiful colors (really nice!!!), only 1 minor thing; the sound of the keyboard...Doesnt matter if you typ gently on the keys, you will certainly hear a fair sound coming from your keyboard... in another topic I told that it feels like emptying an AK47 if you are able to typ fast. ;)

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
I bought mine a few days ago at the local Apple Store and even though it's only been a few days.....

1. None whatsoever
2. No keyboard cover, never used one on many laptop or keyboard I have owned.
3. No issues at all with wifi, in fact it works better than my iMac and iPad Pro
4. Yes, it does collect smudges and fingerprints, but no worse than those I had on my 2011 MacBook Pro and nowhere near as bad as the iPad
5. Just a cloth on the exterior and keyboard, a microfiber on the screen
6. Nope. But then again I don't recall getting AppleCare for any of the devices I own
7. Haven't bought any adapters yet.

Last edited:

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
i use some diagnostic tools and i am wondering.

Base speed is 1.3 ghz when one safari tab is open instead of 2.0 ghz (maybe some energy saving mode)
turbo goes up to 2.9ghz

the fan speed is zero 0 ? :confused:

at 80 degrees the fan begins to work with 1200 up to 7200 rpm.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
i use some diagnostic tools and i am wondering.

Base speed is 1.3 ghz when one safari tab is open instead of 2.0 ghz (maybe some energy saving mode)
turbo goes up to 2.9ghz

the fan speed is zero 0 ? :confused:

at 80 degrees the fan begins to work with 1200 up to 7200 rpm.
Maybe Apple is underclocking the CPU when not on load to conserve energy

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Is anybody else using an external monitor via the Apple AV adapter? If I'm working on the monitor and then want to disconnect the laptop to use on its own, the laptop doesn't seem to register that the cable has been unplugged. So I open the laptop, the keyboard is illuminated (and responding), but the screen remains black. Only way to get a picture up is to power the laptop off and back on again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.