Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Wait at least day or two to let new system settle and index. Don't worry you will get 10 hrs easily with pages and iTunes running :)

Not panicking, just an observation. Strange that Pages is a bit of a hog.

Another observation, the speakers are very good :)

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
So, battery life....

Just sat down to do some work on a fully charged one. It was showing 10 hours something when I started but by the time I fired up iTunes to stream some music, mail and then Pages to do the writing, it had dropped to 6 hours-something, with Pages being an app which is "using significant energy".

Does that sound right? Or is it something we'll see fixed through macOS updates and is part and parcel of new hardware?
What brightness level?

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Just got mine and I'm happy to report that the keyboard doesn't bother me.

Me neither. Typing on it is absolutely natural, and I have no problem with it.

The loudness might bother me. But I've never been someone who usually notices loudness too much. For example when I was young I use to have powerful PC's with many loud fans, and it never bothered me. But I know other people which is does bother. I also use to listen to the TV loudly.

Then again as I've grown older, my preferences for loudness has taken a turn and I have to have the TV on a reasonable low volume these days. And I haven't typed enough on this keyboard to test if the noise will bother me, as most of my time has been setting it up, which requires few keystrokes than programming for example.

Lastly I'm typing on my microsoft keyboard on my pc right now and it's quite loud, and I've only just noticed it now, but never before. Which means to me, I've never really cared about keyboard noise I think, but the post of someone on here who mentioned it, raised my awareness to the issue. So now I have to just get it out of my mind, otherwise it's going to continue to bug me.

Last edited by a moderator:

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
For anyone interested ... here is a color calibration for the new rMBP display. While the default "Color LCD" profile looks pretty good, it was a little too cold/blue for me. This one is a bit warmer and in my opinion, a bit easier on the eyes (assuming the displays in the new 13" models are all relatively similar/from the same manufacturer.)

This was done with a Spyder4Express hardware calibration tool in a dark room with max brightness.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47ehoovysjr402s/rMBP13-09Nov16.icc?raw=1

ETA: To use it, place it in your user folder under: Library\ColorSync\Profiles - then select the profile in your Display - Color System Preferences.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Well I've only had it for half a day, so I couldn't tell you. But when I hit 100%, I unplug it, even if I could leave it plugged in. I worry about damaging the battery, so I let it discharge and recharge even when I've got plug access.

But I am nearly always near a plug, which is one of the reasons I considered getting the touchbar model with lower battery. But then the more I think about the touchbar, the more I dislike it, and believe I'd benefit in the long run with a longer battery than having a touch bar .

1. You are actually shortening your batteries life span by adding unnecessary charging cycles to it. When the battery is charged, the computer runs of the power from the plug. Leave that battery alone until you actually have to go portable.
2. The only way to "damage your battery" is to physically destroy it.
[doublepost=1478768666][/doublepost]
Honestly the biggest appeal of the touch bar is actually freeing some valuable screen space. Being able to work on a fullscreen document with the commands on top of the keyboard is nice.

Same thing for Final Cut, or anything that you wish to do fullscreen.

However, it's nice to have, but I just can't see it as a game changer.

Especially since some of the things they showed, the immense trackpad actually do pretty well. All that precise side scrolling is already very very good with a good UI and the trackpad.

The other thing like word suggestions, the only reason I use it sometimes on the iPhone is because well it's its a tiny touch screen keyboard. The less I type the better it is. But on a regular full size keyboard It's just not a real issue.

Even TouchID. It's cool, but still it clearly solve a huge problem on the phone where you constantly lock/unlock your phone all day long. A computer you usually unlock it for an longer period of time.

So it's just not worth the price you pay for it imo.

Honestly you kind of just sold me on the touch bar lol. On the 13 inch screen space IS limited and the idea of removing some of the basic functions appeals to me. For the extra cash, you also get a faster computer and touch ID - its not just the touch bar.

Touch ID on the macbook seems to be extremely fast according to the videos online. Its also more secure. Most people dont have very complicated login passwords since you want to type them fast. Now you can have touch ID for INSTANT access and a complicated normal password for added security all around.

Im predicting a LOT of non touch bar buyers here will regret their decision later on. Im happy i restrained myself and decided to get the touch bar version.

Ive seen comments like "300 for touch bar not worth it" in here, thats over simplifying things. Look here to see all the extra things you get for the 300:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/10/difference-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-without-touch-bar.html

Last edited:

Fliu

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Anyone have their laptop occasionally make cracking or popping sounds? Sounds like it's coming from inside the laptop and not the speakers. I heard this on my old 2014 15" MBP as well.

Fliu

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Can you guys here test if 3 finger drag is working with you?

I read it's not working as well on the larger trackpad. My three finger left/right swipe gestures in BTT don't work as well on the new trackpad.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
OK I experienced that wifi problem people were talking about in this thread or another thread (can't remember which).

Basically I connected my 4TB USB 3 hard drive to my MacBook using a £3.99 usb-c to usb3 dongle I got from Amazon.

I started copying a large 21GB file across from external to internal (it was. VM).

While doing this I was trying to connect to my mums WiFI for the first time. It wouldn't let me connect, and said I needed to move closer to the router.

I then remember reading hard drives can effect the WIFI due to the spinning disk inside. So I let it finish copying, and then tried to connect to the WIFI, and still no go. Then I ejected and disconnected the plus, and then and only then was I able to connect to the WIFI.

So if this isn't fixable, then this is a very big problem when connecting anything via USB-C.

duckson

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
Preston, UK
Isnt the issue due to cheap/badly grounded USB-C - A adapters? And it is occuring on alot of laptops and isnt Macbook specific (i only skimmed the thread hence i was a bit hazy on the supposed findings!).

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Isnt the issue due to cheap/badly grounded USB-C - A adapters? And it is occuring on alot of laptops and isnt Macbook specific (i only skimmed the thread hence i was a bit hazy on the supposed findings!).

The worry is the degree of effect there is on the rMBP 13.

For example, these same adapters which aren't working on the macbook, are working on other laptops (video's of it working on say the XPS 13 but not the macbook are already around) - so this means the placement on some of the components has resulted in the macbook being more, "sensitive" to the issue of adapter quality, if it is indeed infact that. Could be another antennagate issue?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
1. You are actually shortening your batteries life span by adding unnecessary charging cycles to it. When the battery is charged, the computer runs of the power from the plug. Leave that battery alone until you actually have to go portable.
2. The only way to "damage your battery" is to physically destroy it.
[doublepost=1478768666][/doublepost]
Ive seen comments like "300 for touch bar not worth it" in here, thats over simplifying things. Look here to see all the extra things you get for the 300:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/10/difference-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-without-touch-bar.html

Some of those things aren't worth it to some people, and I think it depends a lot on the use case. For example, I use my Mac in desktop mode between home and the office about 80% of the time. I just didn't feel like paying extra for a feature I will rarely use. I also don't need the extra power of the touch bar model. All I wanted was a little more powerful version of the MacBook and the non-touch bar version fits that bill perfectly. I have a mini with an egpu running a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti when I need graphical power and the CPU of the non touch bar model is fine for me. If the battery life turns out to be longer and the SSD is not removable in the touch bar version those are bonuses for me the non touch bar version has over its more expensive sibling.

If I were using the computer in notebook mode all the time and needed more powerful specs, though, I probably would have went with the touch bar person. And if Apple releases an external keyboard with a touch bar I might move up to that model of MBP for a consistent experience. For now and my use case, it's just not worth the extra cash and I imagine there are others with similar circumstances.

Reactions: Schmidt84

s4snail

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
Hi guys!
What about heating and noise level for the base NTB model?
I would like to buy the base version. But I'm worried about this.
Actually, this version has only one fan and there are no holes on the sides of the body.
It seems the TB version would have a much better cooling system.
Are there any problems with cooling in the base model?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
About the fan, I've noticed with istat and the Fanny widget that the fan is at 0rpm under light load. This is really nice as the fan never turns on for most of my use. When it does it might go up to 1,200 rpm and the only time I've seen it go really high is when running a game.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Anyone have their laptop occasionally make cracking or popping sounds? Sounds like it's coming from inside the laptop and not the speakers. I heard this on my old 2014 15" MBP as well.

I do. It's kinda annoying since I've never heard it from any previous MBP of mine. If it gets worse I might call Apple and see what they say.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
OK I experienced that wifi problem people were talking about in this thread or another thread (can't remember which).

Basically I connected my 4TB USB 3 hard drive to my MacBook using a £3.99 usb-c to usb3 dongle I got from Amazon.

I started copying a large 21GB file across from external to internal (it was. VM).

While doing this I was trying to connect to my mums WiFI for the first time. It wouldn't let me connect, and said I needed to move closer to the router.

I then remember reading hard drives can effect the WIFI due to the spinning disk inside. So I let it finish copying, and then tried to connect to the WIFI, and still no go. Then I ejected and disconnected the plus, and then and only then was I able to connect to the WIFI.

So if this isn't fixable, then this is a very big problem when connecting anything via USB-C.
Now this worries me. I will have to test my machine when ever it arrives with the dongle i ordered when ever that arrives :p
Wifi problem seems like a deal breaker :/

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Hi guys!
Actually, this version has only one fan and there are no holes on the sides of the body.
The system runs silent and cool to slightly warm under normal use (internet, videos etc.), not uncomfortable to use at all.
The fan doesn't turn on unless you tax the system, I've only heard the fan when playing a game.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Hi guys!

I actually saw someone write in here that the TB version has better cooling but i can't find any info on this, can anyone shed some light on the matter?

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I actually saw someone write in here that the TB version has better cooling but i can't find any info on this, can anyone shed some light on the matter?
The Touchbar version has 2 fans from what i have read, And based on this image from the reveal event

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    164.4 KB · Views: 141

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
So, battery life....

Just sat down to do some work on a fully charged one. It was showing 10 hours something when I started but by the time I fired up iTunes to stream some music, mail and then Pages to do the writing, it had dropped to 6 hours-something, with Pages being an app which is "using significant energy".

Does that sound right? Or is it something we'll see fixed through macOS updates and is part and parcel of new hardware?

I managed to get 15h11m during the morning today. Light browsing and Pages reduced it to 14h31m

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
To those who bought this, are you not concerned with the number of ports? As if the absence of the touchbar wasn't enough to separate the two models, they had to cripple this further.
Damn, you Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.