Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyali

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2016
Nothing running in the background, here are my geekbench results on a base model with 512gb ssd.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 3.32.22 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 3.32.22 pm.png
    168.1 KB · Views: 284

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I'm currently using the base model but I think I will return this and reorder with the 16GB upgrade. I may opt for the 512GB upgrade too.

Following the US election coverage tonight with more heavy interactive websites like auto updating sites/blogs and electoral college maps it has been beachballing and using much more swap file than usual. The CPU usage has been fairly low (under 20% consistently). So the RAM must be the culprit by estimation, but I'm not an expert-I've included a picture of the memory usage, feel free to offer any insight.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 05.40.43.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 05.40.43.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 204

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I'm currently using the base model but I think I will return this and reorder with the 16GB upgrade. I may opt for the 512GB upgrade too.

Following the US election coverage tonight with more heavy interactive websites like auto updating sites/blogs and electoral college maps it has been beachballing and using much more swap file than usual. The CPU usage has been fairly low (under 20% consistently). So the RAM must be the culprit by estimation, but I'm not an expert-I've included a picture of the memory usage, feel free to offer any insight.

As long as the "Memory Pressure" is green and "swap used" is low, things should be smooth... also, avoid Chrome if possible and use Safari instead. Chrome is getting better on Mac but is still a resource hog.

Reactions: GZR

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016

The system will use as more as software could, the data will remain on memory even the data 99%don't reread (many is the cache for fast reload when accident closed)
so high memory usage don't mean you need more.
The US election interactive site is slow should more relative to high volume access of the site.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
My base model didn't stutter at all doing these things. But yea, I think it would be a mistake to get more ram. Go for the 2TB SSD 15.4 top of the line model that should be somewhat adequate for browsing the web.

HelsinkiMac

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2010
Could anyone say how the size of the USB-C 61W power block is compared to the 45W MagSafe one for my MBA, or the 60W magsafe one? I can't find the dimension specs anywhere! Thanks!

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
Been using the base model for about a day now and its very smooth - I was also wondering about holding out for a 16GB BTO, but so far I've not had any problems.

I thought the battery went down quicker than expected last night when I was working mainly in Safari, Citrix and Office.

And I still think there's some strange things going on with wi-fi when I have USB-C stuff connected. Performance seems a bit hit and miss.

Also, I've had to reboot a couple of times for apps like Little Snitch to install and each time I've not been able to use the Magic Keyboard to enter my password in clamshell mode. I've had to get the laptop out of the Bookarc and open it to use the built-in keyboard.

On the upside, the screen is stunning, I like the keyboard, performance is nice and snappy and it really feels like a quality lump of metal - but very portable given what its packed in to it.

And that clamshell mode was one reason I wasn't sure about the Magic Touchbar - whenever I'm working from this office or most of the time at home, its in clamshell mode. When out and about I don't think I'll miss not having it although the one thing I do think I will miss is TouchID to unlock. Although Apple Watch does that just fine.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
My Non Touchbar arrived today and Im super happy with it I did the 2.4 I7 16GB and 512GB

Nice. Almost same config as me, except I stuck with the i5.
[doublepost=1478689227][/doublepost]
And that clamshell mode was one reason I wasn't sure about the Magic Touchbar - whenever I'm working from this office or most of the time at home, its in clamshell mode. When out and about I don't think I'll miss not having it although the one thing I do think I will miss is TouchID to unlock. Although Apple Watch does that just fine.

That was a big reason for me to get the non-touch bar model too. It just wasn't worth the cost to me when I am in desktop mode most of the time.

Reactions: ascender

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Nothing running in the background, here are my geekbench results on a base model with 512gb ssd.
For comparison, my 2015 in my signature does 3904 single-core and 7333 multi-core.
[doublepost=1478689879][/doublepost]
I worry about damaging the battery, so I let it discharge and recharge even when I've got plug access.
It is perfectly fine to leave it plugged in for as long as you want. Just discharge the battery a couple of times a month.

kattskrall

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
All right guys, sounds like they do sound a bit. As someone who uses my computer in
Pro: Battery charges up very fast. It went from 10% to 100% in 1h36m (90% charge time).

So thats just over 1 minute per percent. So expect 0% to 100% in around 106m (1h46m).

Con: I'm installing a lot of new programs, and as many of you probably know, some programs require you to drag the program into the application folder (when you mount the dmg file). Some reason doing a drag like this is very buggy for me, I fail several times before being successful.

Also to those who were wondering what I was doing when my battery drained relatively quickly. I'm doing a lot of downloading and installing. So heavy wifi usage. I think once it's all setup my battery life will increase as the wifi usage won't be so intensive.
The last 10% is the ones that takes time tho :)

calvincty

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Malaysia
Just get the 13" baseline from Osaka Apple Store few days ago, and noticed that the battery manufacture date was about a year ago. Wondering is this normal or I should ask for a change? The cycle count and battery health seems ok BTW.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 9.30.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 9.30.33 PM.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Just get the 13" baseline from Osaka Apple Store few days ago, and noticed that the battery manufactured date was about a year ago. Was wondering is this normal or I should ask for a change for this? The cycle count and battery health seems ok BTW.

got the same with my ,1 week old, non TouchBar MBP, got a battery manufacture date of a year ago. Dont know if CoconutBattery is accurute with this though...

MattSeven

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
e
Well I definitely don't care for the VR stuff. I'll live in reality thank you. ;) But I guess we'll see what happens if or when Apple jumps into that arena. Either way I still think desktops are very important. Especially for the pro market which is something Apple has all but abandoned it seems. Pros need the power of a desktop that a laptop or tablet just can't handle. Imagine a big hollywood movie being fully edited on tablets and laptops? Or huge scientific calculations? I don't think so. Desktop power is still needed by the pro market and even many average consumers just want the pro stuff.

We are talking two different things. The longevity of Apple's direction versus the scope of Apple's direction. I accept that they will not provide solutions for everyone. I accept that they will need to prioritize the audience with the most $$. However, I feel they may be compromising their long term viability for short term market share. There will always be people who can't use an Apple device. But 20 years from now, will Apple still be around as a progressive company? Or will it struggle to convince people its pretty phones and computers are still worth the limitations?

A nifty desktop, laptop, phone, or watch isn't really the solution to their long term challenges. These are dying devices. The nightmare is they could become exactly that scientific or medical equipment company that used to be a creative innovator.

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
After waiting for reviews and videos I decided to go with a 13" No-TB Pro, but I can't decide between classic silver and space grey.

Any suggestions? Seems so difficult to find silver one's pics on the internet, everyone on youtube has got the Space Grey!

Reactions: dexterie

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
After waiting for reviews and videos I decided to go with a 13" No-TB Pro, but I can't decide between classic silver and space grey.

Any suggestions? Seems so difficult to find silver one's pics on the internet, everyone on youtube has got the Space Grey!

I guess most people go with the new color...that's why you don't seem to find many with the silver option. Check this video:

Reactions: Lollo

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016

space grey is better, because the classic silver of hand arm position will become a little dark or non gross (just something dirty but this actual is something oxidation or sweat corrosion ), and no observed on space grey.

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
I guess most people go with the new color...that's why you don't seem to find many with the silver option.

Thank you so much, appreciate it very much!
I know that a lot of people were waiting for new colours, but as a first time Mac buyer I can't decide and seems that Apple Stores have got on display only SG! :)
[doublepost=1478701241][/doublepost]
space grey is better, because the classic silver of hand arm position will become a little dark or non gross (just something dirty but this actual is something oxidation or sweat corrosion ), and no observed on space grey.

That's interesting. On the contrary, I read somewhere that some space grey apple devices suffered a sort of "discolouring" issues...

Reactions: dexterie

evec

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Thank you so much, appreciate it very much!
I know that a lot of people were waiting for new colours, but as a first time Mac buyer I can't decide and seems that Apple Stores have got on display only SG! :)
[doublepost=1478701241][/doublepost]

That's interesting. On the contrary, I read somewhere that some space grey apple devices suffered a sort of "discolouring" issues...

The discolor issue is mostly relative to iPhone 6 or above
, as MacBook/Macbook Pro surface finish is more like IPHONE 5S/SE.

Two is not some, hard to talk different, iPhone 6 more matte grey pearl like , and iPhone 5s feel more gloss and antique.
I don't like iPhone 6/7 grey, feel cheap and like toy, and iPhone 5S/Macbook space grey much fine and elegant.

Reactions: Lollo

theultimateone

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
I first thought I spring for the 15inch big version, but 3300€ is too much for a Laptop.
Sofar the Base 13inch Version for half the price is pretty much rocking it.
Performance is good, Screen is stunning.
Only Battery Runtime is a little lacking.

I redid the Streaming HTML 5 Test with 12/18 Brightness and Safari, coconut Battery says its discharging with approx. 9 Watts. I get about 5.5 hours of runtime.

I can live with it, but just expected it to be better.

Otherwise, the machine is silent and relativley cool.

Reactions: hj576

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
So, battery life....

Just sat down to do some work on a fully charged one. It was showing 10 hours something when I started but by the time I fired up iTunes to stream some music, mail and then Pages to do the writing, it had dropped to 6 hours-something, with Pages being an app which is "using significant energy".

Does that sound right? Or is it something we'll see fixed through macOS updates and is part and parcel of new hardware?

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
So, battery life....

Just sat down to do some work on a fully charged one. It was showing 10 hours something when I started but by the time I fired up iTunes to stream some music, mail and then Pages to do the writing, it had dropped to 6 hours-something, with Pages being an app which is "using significant energy".

Does that sound right? Or is it something we'll see fixed through macOS updates and is part and parcel of new hardware?
Wait at least day or two to let new system settle and index. Don't worry you will get 10 hrs easily with pages and iTunes running :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.