Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
To those who bought this, are you not concerned with the number of ports? As if the absence of the touchbar wasn't enough to separate the two models, they had to cripple this further.
Damn, you Apple.
No
I have two ports
One for charging
And one for connecting to the USB c Hub i bought if i need to connect peripherals.
Thats all the port I need,
How many Peripherals do you connect that you need 4 USB -C Ports ?

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Did you get 15 hour estimated ? or actually got 15 hours of battery usage ? :p

Estimated :p
But I wouldn't be surprised to get that with low brightness, no WiFi connection and working on word-processing apps. My last MacBook Pro (2010) would get 7h00m of battery life in such situations, whereas it would get 3h00m/3h30m under standard usage

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No
I have two ports
One for charging
And one for connecting to the USB c Hub i bought if i need to connect peripherals.

and that would actually still leave you a free port b.c most of the hubs have a spot for USB-C charging. For example, I use the apple HDMI adapter, and it still leaves me with a free USB-C port on the Mac.

Reactions: hj576

calvincty

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Malaysia
I only got 7 hours estimated and 5-6 hours of actual battery usage. Normal browsing(Safari) and programming works(Atom).

Startup: Dropbox, Google Drive, Spectacle, Gas Mask, Alfred, Evernote, Mail

Was wondering what causing the low battery hours? Both Dropbox & Google Drive was fully synced before I unplug the power adapter, and I believe the Spotlight indexing was completed too since I left overnight for Google Drive sync.

Open up Activity Monitor nothing looks strange and utilised high CPU/Energy except Safari, still finding a way to achieve at least 8 hours of battery usage.

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015
I only got 7 hours estimated and 5-6 hours of actual battery usage. Normal browsing(Safari) and programming works(Atom).

Was wondering what causing the low battery hours? Both Dropbox & Google Drive was fully synced before I unplug the power adapter, and I believe the Spotlight indexing was completed too since I left overnight for Google Drive sync.

Open up Activity Monitor nothing looks strange and utilised high CPU/Energy except Safari, still finding a way to achieve at least 8 hours of battery usage.

1. Many of the applications running in the background do occasionally consume processing power here and there, each application could have a 5~10 minutes impact on your overall battery consumption, with 10 background applications such as google drive, dropbox and evernote (basically apps that constantly making requests to cloud services just to check if things are updated), it could easily take away an hour of battery usage over your entire working day.

2. Brightness settings? To achieve apple's 10 hour claimed battery life, you do have to keep your brightness settings relatively low.

3. Browsing the web/watching youtube have big difference on energy consumption, if your web browsing include demanding tasks (like watching youtube videos in more than 2k), it could consume some power as well.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
No
I have two ports
One for charging

External monitor
External hard drive
Graphics tablet

Yes, naturally a hub of any sort will solve the issue, but just another expense/clutter.

calvincty

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Malaysia
1. Many of the applications running in the background do occasionally consume processing power here and there, each application could have a 5~10 minutes impact on your overall battery consumption, with 10 background applications such as google drive, dropbox and evernote (basically apps that constantly making requests to cloud services just to check if things are updated), it could easily take away an hour of battery usage over your entire working day.

2. Brightness settings? To achieve apple's 10 hour claimed battery life, you do have to keep your brightness settings relatively low.

3. Browsing the web/watching youtube have big difference on energy consumption, if your web browsing include demanding tasks (like watching youtube videos in more than 2k), it could consume some power as well.

Yeah do understand that the background program would eat up some battery life, my web browsing doesn't really consume video a lot, maybe about 10 - 15 minutes.

Anyway, is the new Macbook Pro 2016 battery capacity lesser than the previous gen? checking the system spec it stated Full Charge Capacity is 4878mAH.

Antairez

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah do understand that the background program would eat up some battery life, my web browsing doesn't really consume video a lot, maybe about 10 - 15 minutes.

Anyway, is the new Macbook Pro 2016 battery capacity lesser than the previous gen? checking the system spec it stated Full Charge Capacity is 4878mAH.

Yes, the more efficient the new hardware is, the smaller the battery is going to be. That's how apple shrinks down the new macbook pro, so we are all getting a lighter and smaller machine.

SaddleSC

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2010

I am seeing the same poor battery life as you. This morning my estimated time remaining was 6:35. I had Evernote running along with iMessage and four tabs in safari open in the background. No music, no videos...nothing else. I worked on brainstorming in Evernote for 38 mins and my estimated time remaining plummeted to 5:05. Screen brightness was around 60%. It is rather frustrating when i can use my rMB with music playing and more apps open, throw in some YouTube videos and barely move the meter in 30 mins.

I am not really sure what is happening, but this is not typical for other Apple laptops I have owned in the past (and currently own).

Reactions: hj576

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
What is worrying is - if this is the laptop battery life on the lower powered, high capacity, non-touch model, what would it be like on the touch model - especially if people are not doing very basic stuff, but some actual work on the machines :S.

Reactions: Saturn1217

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
What is worrying is - if this is the laptop battery life on the lower powered, high capacity, non-touch model, what would it be like on the touch model - especially if people are not doing very basic stuff, but some actual work on the machines :S.

well to put your mind at ease, I am actually getting the 10-11 hours doing those light task.

JackDaniels3

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2016
Bulgaria
Can anyone please measure the distance between the two ports?
I want to buy USB-C to USB-A adapters but I want to be sure that I can use them without blocking the second port.

For example this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z7XE0A/) looks so nice, but I think it will block the access to the second port even for the charger cable. Same goes with other cable-less adapters.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
To those who bought this, are you not concerned with the number of ports? As if the absence of the touchbar wasn't enough to separate the two models, they had to cripple this further.
Damn, you Apple.

Not personally. When I'm working at home I now have a single lead to plug in to the laptop for everything bar my speakers rather than the three I used to have with the MBA and Thunderbolt Display. If you have a USB hub of some sort (mine is in the monitor) it's quite a tidy solution.

timcook_boyfriend

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
Can anyone please measure the distance between the two ports?
I want to buy USB-C to USB-A adapters but I want to be sure that I can use them without blocking the second port.

For example this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z7XE0A/) looks so nice, but I think it will block the access to the second port even for the charger cable. Same goes with other cable-less adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/review/RFWJV...=detail-glance&nodeID=12034488011&store=boost >>> slow

https://www.amazon.com/review/R26D7...=detail-glance&nodeID=12034488011&store=boost >>> explode

Dont buy.

Last edited:

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
0283af24e00e476ca9ca583c6336f6da.jpg

Around 6,5 mm between both ports. Don't forget the power cable that comes with the MacBook Pro has a 1,5 mm extra body in both sides of the port

Reactions: Abaganov and hj576

bjjp2

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
Me neither. Typing on it is absolutely natural, and I have no problem with it.

The loudness might bother me. But I've never been someone who usually notices loudness too much. For example when I was young I use to have powerful PC's with many loud fans, and it never bothered me. But I know other people which is does bother. I also use to listen to the TV loudly.

Then again as I've grown older, my preferences for loudness has taken a turn and I have to have the TV on a reasonable low volume these days. And I haven't typed enough on this keyboard to test if the noise will bother me, as most of my time has been setting it up, which requires few keystrokes than programming for example.

Lastly I'm typing on my microsoft keyboard on my pc right now and it's quite loud, and I've only just noticed it now, but never before. Which means to me, I've never really cared about keyboard noise I think, but the post of someone on here who mentioned it, raised my awareness to the issue. So now I have to just get it out of my mind, otherwise it's going to continue to bug me.

I noticed it was louder than my Air.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Damn, you Apple.

No, I'm not concerned at all. When I'm home or at the office I have one port for power and another port for everything else. When I'm on the road it's more than enough, and after over one year with the MacBook I've been fine with the one port while I'm on the road.

Overall it's a great machine and I think if Apple lowered the price of it to $1,000 or even $1,299 we would see it all over the place.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Damn, you Apple.

I have absolutely no problem at all with my 2 ports. I almost never use USB these days. Everything important is in the cloud, all of my big storages drives are network connected. I have Wifi at home and at work. My iPhone sync via Wifi.

The only thing I will use them for is to use on an external display.
[doublepost=1478836963][/doublepost]
Me neither. Typing on it is absolutely natural, and I have no problem with it.

The loudness might bother me. But I've never been someone who usually notices loudness too much. For example when I was young I use to have powerful PC's with many loud fans, and it never bothered me. But I know other people which is does bother. I also use to listen to the TV loudly.

Then again as I've grown older, my preferences for loudness has taken a turn and I have to have the TV on a reasonable low volume these days. And I haven't typed enough on this keyboard to test if the noise will bother me, as most of my time has been setting it up, which requires few keystrokes than programming for example.

Lastly I'm typing on my microsoft keyboard on my pc right now and it's quite loud, and I've only just noticed it now, but never before. Which means to me, I've never really cared about keyboard noise I think, but the post of someone on here who mentioned it, raised my awareness to the issue. So now I have to just get it out of my mind, otherwise it's going to continue to bug me.

I just don't understand the big fuss about that keyboard. It's great.

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
What's the best way to connect two displays to the 13 nonTB MBP and still allow charging?

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
i'm waiting for the 13" TB model to arrive, but would like to buy a sleeve before it arrives.
Since it is smaller and thinner than the the current 13" MBPr (2013/2014/2015 models) i'm wondering if anybody in this topic who actually has the non TB 13" could tell me which sleeve fits good?

Really interested in the Case Logic Icon, but it think the late 2016 would be a little bit to small for a snug fit ..

Hope someone can point me in a good direction ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.