Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
Push the keys, don't hit them. :) Seriously, this takes some practice. I had to learn how to do this on the rMB when I first got it. Coming from keyboards with far more travel, you typically hit the keys quite a bit harder, as they do require a bit more force. These new keyboards require very little force to register a key press. I adjusted to it in about a week or so.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Push the keys, don't hit them. :) Seriously, this takes some practice. I had to learn how to do this on the rMB when I first got it. Coming from keyboards with far more travel, you typically hit the keys quite a bit harder, as they do require a bit more force. These new keyboards require very little force to register a key press. I adjusted to it in about a week or so.

Good point, just try to be gentle. It's taking some practice on my part, but it's not as loud as it was when I first got it.

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012

Totally agree. After a couple of days I adjusted my touch to pressing lightly.

Escape-75

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Well to put the speed issue to rest, here's benchmarks from Macbook vs. Macbook Pro, both 2015 and 2016:

MacBook (Early 2015) Intel Core M-5Y31 @ 1.1 GHz (2 cores) 4312
MacBook (Early 2016) Intel Core m5-6Y54 @ 1.2 GHz (2 cores) 5749
MacBook Pro (Early 2015) Intel Core i5-5257U @ 2.7 GHz (2 cores) 6522
MacBook Pro (Late 2016) Intel Core i5-6360U @ 2.0 GHz (2 cores) 6996

Geekbench 4 Multi-Core, for the above, so it's faster than last year's base Macbook Pro.

I'll be replacing my Macbook 12" 2015 so going from 4312 to 6996, should be ok :)

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Pro: Battery charges up very fast. It went from 10% to 100% in 1h36m (90% charge time).

So thats just over 1 minute per percent. So expect 0% to 100% in around 106m (1h46m).

Con: I'm installing a lot of new programs, and as many of you probably know, some programs require you to drag the program into the application folder (when you mount the dmg file). Some reason doing a drag like this is very buggy for me, I fail several times before being successful.

Also to those who were wondering what I was doing when my battery drained relatively quickly. I'm doing a lot of downloading and installing. So heavy wifi usage. I think once it's all setup my battery life will increase as the wifi usage won't be so intensive.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Pro: Battery charges up very fast. It went from 10% to 100% in 1h36m (90% charge time).

So thats just over 1 minute per percent. So expect 0% to 100% in around 106m (1h46m).

Con: I'm installing a lot of new programs, and as many of you probably know, some programs require you to drag the program into the application folder (when you mount the dmg file). Some reason doing a drag like this is very buggy for me, I fail several times before being successful.

Also to those who were wondering what I was doing when my battery drained relatively quickly. I'm doing a lot of downloading and installing. So heavy wifi usage. I think once it's all setup my battery life will increase as the wifi usage won't be so intensive.
just out of curiosity, when dont you have it plugged in

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Just out of curiosity...were all of these Space Grey models? The reason I ask is that I just purchased the new MBP in Silver and the trackpad feels just as slick as the one on my 12" rMB. I wonder if something in the anodizing process is causing the increased "grittiness" on the Space Grey models?

Mine is silver and has the less smooth trackpad. Mine is a CTO, not sure if that matters. Maybe with use it will become smoother.
[doublepost=1478646996][/doublepost]
Mine didn't either, at first. After a week of use, it's just as smooth as my others. There may be some sort of coating on it that wears off, I'm thinking.

Good to know, thanks. Will see if mine is like that too

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
just out of curiosity, when dont you have it plugged in

Well I've only had it for half a day, so I couldn't tell you. But when I hit 100%, I unplug it, even if I could leave it plugged in. I worry about damaging the battery, so I let it discharge and recharge even when I've got plug access.

But I am nearly always near a plug, which is one of the reasons I considered getting the touchbar model with lower battery. But then the more I think about the touchbar, the more I dislike it, and believe I'd benefit in the long run with a longer battery than having a touch bar .

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The Verge has had good articles about this including their current article The MBP is a lie:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13548052/the-macbook-pro-lie

"Emotions are running so low that people are even speculating about whether Apple should do with the Mac what IBM did when it sold off the ThinkPad line to Lenovo."

Do people really think Apple would sell it's Mac division? Or worse kill it all together? Apple used to be all about the Mac cause that's all it had at the time. Now it has the iOS along with iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch and it wants to delve into other markets (Apple Car?). Could Apple really kill what started this company?

argentum47

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2014
4. There have been a few times when typing this post, that my trackpad has moved and clicked somewhere else in the text box, and I've had to backtrack and fix it.
Welp, this sounds really annoying. Since this is supposedly a software issue (palm rejection logic), I hope it gets sorted out soon. But I do wonder if it will ever get perfect. It would be quite difficult with such a huge trackpad.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Welp, this sounds really annoying. Since this is supposedly a software issue (palm rejection logic), I hope it gets sorted out soon. But I do wonder if it will ever get perfect. It would be quite difficult with such a huge trackpad.

Well I have enabled in settings tap to click, which means I don't have to physically click the track pad to register a click in the os, only tap, just like the majority of trackpads on laptops. So this might have something to do with it. Note this option is off by default.

As for battery life, still unimpressed. I don't feel like I'm pushing this computer too far, but I'm already down to 79% from 100% and according to activity monitor, I've only been using it for 56m on battery. Estimated time remaining 3h 49m.

I guess I'm falling in the camp of, I would have been happy with the old macbook size, with the same size battey, but better inside specs. You know the battery life with the old size bigger batteries, would have been huge when combined with the ultra low voltage cpus.

NickPhamUK

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2013
Does anyone have a Silver version? How do you like it compared to the Space Gray one? :)

Can't find many videos on the silver, the hype is all on the new color...

Reactions: ballyhoos and Lollo

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
why is there so much discrepancy?
A lot of factors
First the list has both i5 and i7 processors, so make sure to check whose score you are checking
secondly, If the Laptop was plugged in or not, were there any other programs running, were there any background task running, how much resources were already in use e.t.c

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
A lot of factors
First the list has both i5 and i7 processors, so make sure to check whose score you are checking
secondly, If the Laptop was plugged in or not, were there any other programs running, were there any background task running, how much resources were already in use e.t.c

Yeah I figured but Is there a bench with nothing else running?

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Yeah I figured but Is there a bench with nothing else running?
These are results submitted by users running the benchmark
I guess for that look into reviews
Austin Evan did a review on youtube and ran geekbench
So did Mobiletechreview
Though both of their scores were a bit different a well

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Thanks! this is great!

mobiletechreview is awesome, but that seems like a really low single core result,

id probably go with the other review as more realistic,

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
"Emotions are running so low that people are even speculating about whether Apple should do with the Mac what IBM did when it sold off the ThinkPad line to Lenovo."

Do people really think Apple would sell it's Mac division? Or worse kill it all together? Apple used to be all about the Mac cause that's all it had at the time. Now it has the iOS along with iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch and it wants to delve into other markets (Apple Car?). Could Apple really kill what started this company?

No. That article was mostly trash.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
No. That article was mostly trash.

Hmm I actually agree with a lot of that Verge article. But either way when it comes to the Mac Apple is definitely not what it used to be even 5-6 years ago let alone 10+ years ago. The state of the Mac (especially desktops) is not that good these days.

MattSeven

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Mine is silver and has the less smooth trackpad. Mine is a CTO, not sure if that matters. Maybe with use it will become smoother.
Hmm I actually agree with a lot of that Verge article. But either way when it comes to the Mac Apple is definitely not what it used to be even 5-6 years ago let alone 10+ years ago. The state of the Mac (especially desktops) is not that good these days.

I honestly don't see anything interesting happening in desktops. We're moving to mobile platforms, but nothing exciting, yet. Watches are duds until they are VR or AR relevant. That's the future, sure enough. I hope Apple has been preparing for that future because it appears they're stuck, missing the forest for the trees. "Hey, we miniaturized the mini so it's micro, now." This is how Japan's tech industry belly-flopped.

I think Sony should have a eyeglass-mediated full-home-VR system operable by now. They're instead working on robot prostitution and the PS5. Making everything better and smaller is not the same as revolutionizing or creating new industries. OS X was a revolution. I'm waiting for Apple to do something more than put new paint on existing ideas.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I honestly don't see anything interesting happening in desktops. We're moving to mobile platforms, but nothing exciting, yet. Watches are duds until they are VR or AR relevant. That's the future, sure enough. I hope Apple has been preparing for that future because it appears they're stuck, missing the forest for the trees. "Hey, we miniaturized the mini so it's micro, now." This is how Japan's tech industry belly-flopped.

I think Sony should have a eyeglass-mediated full-home-VR system operable by now. They're instead working on robot prostitution and the PS5. Making everything better and smaller is not the same as revolutionizing or creating new industries. OS X was a revolution. I'm waiting for Apple to do something more than put new paint on existing ideas.

Well I definitely don't care for the VR stuff. I'll live in reality thank you. ;) But I guess we'll see what happens if or when Apple jumps into that arena. Either way I still think desktops are very important. Especially for the pro market which is something Apple has all but abandoned it seems. Pros need the power of a desktop that a laptop or tablet just can't handle. Imagine a big hollywood movie being fully edited on tablets and laptops? Or huge scientific calculations? I don't think so. Desktop power is still needed by the pro market and even many average consumers just want the pro stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.