Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You know, using these Retina displays is actually painful for me.

Before deciding to learn Swift and thus choosing to buy a macbook. I was on a Asus Windows laptop, with a 4k screen, SD card slot, 3 x USB3 ports, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD and cost me a mere £650.

And every time I use the retina screen, I'm disappointed by the pixels I see. The 4k screen on the Asus was so sharp. Every letter, every line, so extremely clear. The retina display is a downgrade for me, that's for sure.

If I had the money, I would have kept the Asus laptop and bought a new Macbook Pro, as that was probably the best Windows laptop I've owned for that budget, and I still miss it. But in the end I decided to return it to Amazon for a full refund before the 30 days ran out, as like I said, I needed macOS to use xcode, and running VM's wasn't ideal.

not saying the screen you prefer is less so, but theres more to a panel than resolution. a lot more.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
They removed all USB ports, removed SD card support and designed a more horrible chicklet style keyboard with barely any depth, while increasing the price heavily...how is this an upgrade again?
More importantly the glowing apple logo is gone.....

Lots of form over function at Apple these days.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
not saying the screen you prefer is less so, but theres more to a panel than resolution. a lot more.

There is more to a panel than resolution, but the extra resolution made a huge difference I can't deny.

3200x1800 (276 ppi) ASUS screen vs 2,560 × 1,600 (227 ppi) Retina screen, that's a 21.6% increase, and the difference can be seen.

Other than the resolution, the screen colours looked amazing too. I would say the same, or more so than Apple's retina screen.

However Apple's Macbook Pro benefits from so many other things as well, that it beats the Asus still. i5 vs m3 cpu, blazing fast ssd speeds, awesome and huge force trackpad, 10 hours vs 7 hours battery life, and macOS. But you have to pay an extra £800 for such extras.

Anyway like I said, best Windows laptop I ever owned, but now it's Macbook Pro time.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
The spectre is not much better spec. The CPU is more powerful and it has more ram. The SSD is half the speed and the gpu is probably %30 weaker.

DerRolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Germany
I would really like to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro with the new 2016 w/o Touchbar. However over here in Germany the base model 13" w/o Touchbar is 1699 Euros which is about 1879 USD.

A sort-of maxed out base model with i7 and 16 GB RAM (which would be my choice) would be 2299 EUR (2543 USD)...

dexterie

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
BE, EU
I would really like to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro with the new 2016 w/o Touchbar. However over here in Germany the base model 13" w/o Touchbar is 1699 Euros which is about 1879 USD.

A sort-of maxed out base model with i7 and 16 GB RAM (which would be my choice) would be 2299 EUR (2543 USD)...

After thinking a lot about (prices are the same here in Belgium), I just opted to buy the TB version. This way I get better CPU and slightly better GPU and, since it is an expensive computer anyway, I spent a bit more and I know it will last longer.

Now I "just" have to wait until December.

DerRolf

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Germany
After thinking a lot about (prices are the same here in Belgium), I just opted to buy the TB version. This way I get better CPU and slightly better GPU and, since it is an expensive computer anyway, I spent a bit more and I know it will last longer.

Now I "just" have to wait until December.

The only thing I would really like to see is the battery performance of the TB model compared to the non-TB model. This is actually the only reason why I'd rather choose the upgraded non-TB model over the TB model.

Other than that I don't mind only having two USB Type-C ports. I rarely plug in anything into my MacBook Pro at all (except for the charger) so two ports would be ok for me.

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Tried this bad boy out at a Best Buy yesterday. Seriously gorgeous machine, love the bigger trackpad. Keyboard is about 25% improved compared to the MacBooks, won't change minds in the I hate it camp, but those on my fence like myself enjoyed the extra key feedback. Very excited for my 15".

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Today i got my non touchbar and i like it :) only keyboard and trackpad is to loud :(
but the speed, screen and design are good :)

i run all with one dongle only
external hdd
fullhd screen 1080p/60hz
lan cable

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Today i got my non touchbar and i like it :) only keyboard and trackpad is to loud :(
but the speed, screen and design are good :)

I share the exact experience with my 5 days old new 2016 non-touchbar rMBP.
The keyboard sounds like you are emptying a AK47, even if press the keys gentle.

Love the screen, design and speed

Reactions: ballyhoos

theultimateone

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Hey Hello Guys,

I just sold my MacBook Air 13inch and grabbed me a shiny new MBP 13 2016 No-Touch Basic Version.
I must say it feels good, it handles well.
All in all a real Pleasure sofar.

One thing I cannot understand is Battery Life, the Guys over at theverge talk about 10 hours of real work ... I just ran a Video Streaming test, just watching Kodi with PVR Plugin for several hours with a Screen Brightness of about 75% and I can only get about 4-5 hours of 100% Battery.

How are your Battery Results in Real Life ?

Many thanks for your feedback.
Cheers, ultimate.

Reactions: nuno.nasm

lorris

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
Are you sure about this?

I see a 2015 Pro entry level i5 being a little slower than a 2016 i5 entry level:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/980658
http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/979343

Of course these numbers aren't 100% accurate but still ...

Yeah, I thought the same thing ... I do not understand why so many people compare it to a Macbook Air when it is more powerful than a macbook pro 2015 base. I ordered a macbook pro (without touch bar) with i7 I hope I have not made a mistake ...

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Hey Hello Guys,

I just sold my MacBook Air 13inch and grabbed me a shiny new MBP 13 2016 No-Touch Basic Version.

One thing I cannot understand is Battery Life, the Guys over at theverge talk about 10 hours of real work ... I just ran a Video Streaming test, just watching Kodi with PVR Plugin for several hours with a Screen Brightness of about 75% and I can only get about 4-5 hours of 100% Battery.

Cheers, ultimate.
Simple - Wifi + Brightness = more power. Bring the brightness down to 50% or below, and download the show in advance.

On a side note, how do you people watch the screen so bright? I am on a 2015 13", and I almost never go past 50%...

addictive

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Great video about the Macbook 2016 with no touch bar , shows how he crush in real life use the much better spec on paper HP spectra

Jonathan Morrison only really addresses the issue at the end of the video. On the 13 inch non touch bar MBP Apple is offering a "pro" machine with only two ports one of which might be needed for power. Apple saying all ports previously found on previous Macs are legacy tech but SD cards aren't legacy they are used by professionals in present day. There is no superior format yet announced for photographers, perhaps wifi transfer will improve in the next few years but it isn't there now.

Apple's 13 inch MBPs are not Pro machines - Apple has professionalised the Macbook.

The new models can perform functions very rapidly given the strength of their processors and SSD but a Pro machine would have the option of 32GB RAM and other ports so you don't require a dongle.

The fall out has surprised me because it hasn't stopped since the new MBPs have been released and the criticism is gaining in momentum, from message boards to blogs to tech websites and mainstream news. This is a disaster for Apple.

I wonder if they will admit they have got things wrong with the new MBP and whether they will release a different PRO model in 2017. I'm not sure if heads will roll at Apple because it seems all the decision makers are in the same bubble but their decision to jump to all/only USB-C was at least one year too quick.

The Verge has had good articles about this including their current article The MBP is a lie:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/7/13548052/the-macbook-pro-lie

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Hey Hello Guys,

Cheers, ultimate.
As far as I know your brightness is too hi, The test I read about (video loop over wifi), they tested it at 150 Nits (or was it 200 nits). Seeing how the screen is 500 nits, that would mean well below the half brightness

lorris

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
You'll be fine,- not sure CPU upgrades (ever) give you a great boost, but they are 7% faster :)
http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/981430

I'm not really sure that I understand the Geekbench score ... If I compare a MacBookPro (13 inch, no touch bar, 2016 i7 2.4) vs MacBook Pro (15-inch Retina Mid 2015 i7 2.5) the macbook pro 2016 is better than a macbook pro 15' i7 2015 ??? Can someone explain to me?

Here is the link :
http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/981430?baseline=910641

Reactions: vatter69

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
I'm not really sure that I understand the Geekbench score ... If I compare a MacBookPro (13 inch, no touch bar, 2016 i7 2.4) vs MacBook Pro (15-inch Retina Mid 2015 i7 2.5) the macbook pro 2016 is better than a macbook pro 15' i7 2015 ??? Can someone explain to me?

Here is the link :
Its better on Single Core but not on multiple core

Which means, the newer processors single core is better than a single core of the 15inch variant you selected
But since, the 15 inch has 4 cores, the over all score is higher

theultimateone

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2016
Hm, i will do some more tests, but if I go to 50% I find it dark.
Running all my Screens (iPad Pro, iPhone) on at least 75-80% all the time ...

if I turn it down to 40% or so I find it too dark ...

What kind of Battery Runtimes do other Owners report ? Anyone else doing some testing ?

My MBA 13 i7 did hold at least 2 hours longer ...

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Hm, i will do some more tests, but if I go to 50% I find it dark.
Running all my Screens (iPad Pro, iPhone) on at least 75-80% all the time ...

if I turn it down to 40% or so I find it too dark ...

What kind of Battery Runtimes do other Owners report ? Anyone else doing some testing ?

My MBA 13 i7 did hold at least 2 hours longer ...
Mine was getting 10 hours easily on about 60-70 percent brightness. That is with regular web browsing, as soon as i started going on flash heavy sites or You Tube that dropped significantly.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014

Here is the link :

You grabbed an underperforming 15" MBP score there, that happens sometimes with geekbench. Just eyeballing the top 15 scores from both machines, this seems to be a more representative comparison:
http://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/compare/975944?baseline=968981

The fact that the new skylake chip is just about even on single-core scores with the older, 0.2GHz faster chip in the 15" MBP just reflects the fact that skylake is an improved microarchitecture.

It also reflects the fact that many of the geekbench tests are fairly simple and do not take advantage of the extra cache in the quad core i7 of the 15" MBP.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Hey Hello Guys,

Cheers, ultimate.

5.3 hours with strong ssd and wifi usage for me. brightness zero only external display or airplay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.