Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetinaFarts

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
Might be a grounding Issue with my socket tho

It is a grounding issue. If you can get a 3 prong plug adaptor with ground it will fix it, or not if you're wall outlet doesn't actually have a real ground.

It's not really dangerous, so don't worry too much. But you should look into your grounding for your place.

Last edited:

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Well at least Apple offers a 14 day return Policy ....
the 14 days start from the day you get the machine, right ?
From the day you get it yes. If it were from the date you ordered it could potentially expire before you even get it :)

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
The more i read this form the more apples 14 day return policy seems like a life saver :p
Lets see what happens when I get mine next week

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Just picked up the basic 13" no touchbar MBP this morning and wow what a nice machine! The space gray finish looks slick and the keyboard is simply amazing.

Side note, going from a 15" rMBP to 13" really isn't a whole lot different, so far at least. I'm a pretty casual user though.

Reactions: ob81 and hj576

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Just picked up the basic 13" no touchbar MBP this morning and wow what a nice machine! The space gray finish looks slick and the keyboard is simply amazing.

Side note, going from a 15" rMBP to 13" really isn't a whole lot different, so far at least. I'm a pretty casual user though.
I've made the same switch. They default to the same effective resolution of 1440X900.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep the 2016 or return it and stick with my 15" 2015 just yet.
I'm not getting on well with the new keyboard, but will give it at least a full week to decide.

One thing I will say is that this is the first time since 2011 that I've used a machine with less than 16GB RAM and the 8GB is holding up immensely well, leading me to reassess my actual RAM needs. I always saw very little free RAM on my 16GB 15", same situation with this MacBook but it is just as snappy.

nonm

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
Germany
It is a grounding issue. If you can get a 3 prong plug adaptor with ground it will fix it, or not if you're wall outlet doesn't actually have a real ground. This same thing happens with all MacBooks actually. Happens to me all the time when traveling internationally and I go to countries with poor electrical codes.

It's not really dangerous, so don't worry too much. But you should look into your grounding for your place.
Yeah i got the German EU Socket and as i know its grounded perfectly fine. My PC, and MB 12 doesnt have this issue

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I've made the same switch. They default to the same effective resolution of 1440X900.
I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep the 2016 or return it and stick with my 15" 2015 just yet.
I'm not getting on well with the new keyboard, but will give it at least a full week to decide.

One thing I will say is that this is the first time since 2011 that I've used a machine with less than 16GB RAM and the 8GB is holding up immensely well, leading me to reassess my actual RAM needs. I always saw very little free RAM on my 16GB 15", same situation with this MacBook but it is just as snappy.

The most intensive thing I do on my computer is maybe watch a 4K video on YouTube a few times a week. Ha. So the base model with 8GB of RAM is more than enough for me.

I'm loving the keyboard...so much more than my late 2013 rMBP. The keys feel so much sturdier and spring back with a satisfying click.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
While using it, lid open. The same occurs when it is closed and connected to power.
While touching the metal parts of the MacBook you will feel a buzzing feeling.

Correct, at least in the UK. I can't speak for other territories.

Weird. Don't feel it or see it.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
The most intensive thing I do on my computer is maybe watch a 4K video on YouTube a few times a week. Ha. So the base model with 8GB of RAM is more than enough for me.

I'm loving the keyboard...so much more than my late 2013 rMBP. The keys feel so much sturdier and spring back with a satisfying click.

Interesting. I tried one out today at BestBuy and the keys were wobbly and very loud. I wonder if there is a big variance with the keys because you see people reporting experiences that are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Interesting. I tried one out today at BestBuy and the keys were wobbly and very loud. I wonder if there is a big variance with the keys because you see people reporting experiences that are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Could be. There definitely is some noise present while typing. People's typing styles and preferences are just so variable - it'd be impossible for everyone to agree on a keyboard.

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany

That's mostly personal preference, but if the keys were wobbly there might be something wrong with the keyboard.
Is it different? Sure.
Is key travel short? Sure.
Is it louder than other keyboards? Sure.

I could say lots of positive and negative things about the keyboard, but being wobbly is definitely not one of them.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
The keys aren't wobbly at all, they are very solid but with very little travel and noisy when pressed.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
I got to test one of these at the Apple store today and was really impressed. Feels much more solid and faster than the rMB. Screen and keyboard were great! Will be upgrading my 2011 MBA to this or the touchbar model. Not sure why so many negative comments about the MBP. Good job Apple!

Reactions: AdonisSMU

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Also just noticed that the new MBP is giving my electrical shocks (vibration when moving your hand over the surface) while plugged in. doesnt happen with my MB 12" tho
I'm pretty sure that's just the aluminium + friction on your fingers. I have experienced the same on a 2014 model.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
have you guys seen a silver on display at apple stores?

I only got to play with/ see the space grey, non touch bar 2016

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Well after using my 2016 rMBP base model for a week i returned it yesterday. I love the machine but ive got a strong feeling there will be a price drop when Kaby Lake hits. My 2011 Air will have to last another year.

Reactions: Sensamic

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Well after using my 2016 rMBP base model for a week i returned it yesterday. I love the machine but ive got a strong feeling there will be a price drop when Kaby Lake hits. My 2011 Air will have to last another year.

Do you like how it runs right now otherwise? Time is money, to an extent

I only ask because

Going from retina back to TN 1440x900:
a8940f6aaf9d932f13afa4fff4bb29719706633ad321ed6cfdba1e94986268ad.jpg

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

I only ask because

The rMBP ran great, i really did love it, but for $2200 AUD it just doesn't add up. Also i think the Kaby Lake update could improve on battery even further and also has the new video codec support. The MBA screen is bad but i can deal with it.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I love my new nonTB MacBook Pro overall. The only thing I still need to adapt to is the sound(feedback) from the keyboard. I try to gently press the keys, but still very loud.

but man oh man do I love this display with the beautiful crispy colors. Apple did a good job there!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The rMBP ran great, i really did love it, but for $2200 AUD it just doesn't add up. Also i think the Kaby Lake update could improve on battery even further and also has the new video codec support. The MBA screen is bad but i can deal with it.
Honestly, I wouldn't hold out for something that doesn't exist. However, if you don't need a new machine you don't need a new machine.

Reactions: stockscalper

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I know what you mean, but it was mainly a financial decision, next year should be a better time for me to spend that amount of money on a laptop.
I know I've been there myself several times. This is the first time that I needed a new machine and I had the money to spend on a new machine.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51

On the Windows side, tests do show improved battery life with Kabylake and somewhere around a 3% gain in processor speed. With 10 hours working life in the current battery I don't think it's worth holding out for more battery life. On the other hand, if you don't need a computer now then you can afford to wait. But if you do, 10 hours battery will get you through the work day.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
While using it, lid open. The same occurs when it is closed and connected to power.
While touching the metal parts of the MacBook you will feel a buzzing feeling.

Correct, at least in the UK. I can't speak for other territories.
It's a grounding issue. It happens on my 2012 MBP.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016

I only ask because

You know, using these Retina displays is actually painful for me.

Before deciding to learn Swift and thus choosing to buy a macbook. I was on a Asus Windows laptop, with a 4k screen, SD card slot, 3 x USB3 ports, 8GB ram, 256GB SSD and cost me a mere £650.

And every time I use the retina screen, I'm disappointed by the pixels I see. The 4k screen on the Asus was so sharp. Every letter, every line, so extremely clear. The retina display is a downgrade for me, that's for sure.

If I had the money, I would have kept the Asus laptop and bought a new Macbook Pro, as that was probably the best Windows laptop I've owned for that budget, and I still miss it. But in the end I decided to return it to Amazon for a full refund before the 30 days ran out, as like I said, I needed macOS to use xcode, and running VM's wasn't ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.