Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
So I finally got my MacBook Pro 2016 and I have mixed feelings so far.

I definitely like the way it looks and the screen is gorgeous. I don't mind that it doesn't have USB ports anymore. I purchased a USB type c to lightning so that'll do the job, I don't really use flash drives or SD Cards. I did purchase a USB C to USB 3.0 just in case.

The things I'm not a big fan of are the keyboard and the trackpad. I don't mind that the keyboard doesn't have much travel, but I do notice that the keys are way louder than previous MacBooks (or maybe its just me?). Also, the trackpad sounds kinda cheap when I click on it, I can't really describe the sound, but it just sounds cheap.
A lot of people have similar views

I guess some one like me who has never owned a macbook before might not have the same views as i have nothing to compare against :p

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Lets see this happen on the douchebar version.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.31.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 8.31.48 PM.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 406

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
It seems my brightness setting may be the cause of my battery life woes. I will try again tomorrow, starting with a base of a full charge and a lower brightness.

MacUserUK

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2012
I sold my top spec 15" 2015 MacBook Pro and purchased the base 13" MacBook Pro (no touchbar)

Things I like
  • Its so much lighter
  • Keyboard is amazing
  • Battery life is much better
  • Screen is amazing
Things I don't like
  • Having to use adaptors!
  • No MagSafe

Reactions: ob81

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Have you guys seen this?

Also, I'm manually backing up my MBA rather than doing a Time Machine backup because I don't need to save every app and file on my computer. I copied all the folders from the home folder (pictures, music, etc.) but just wanted to make sure I'm not forgetting anything important. Safari bookmarks sync with iCloud, right?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I sold my top spec 15" 2015 MacBook Pro and purchased the base 13" MacBook Pro (no touchbar)

Things I like
  • Its so much lighter
  • Keyboard is amazing
  • Screen is amazing
Things I don't like
  • No MagSafe

you must have suffered a bit of a loss with selling a top spec 15" from just last year? normally add ons don't add a ton, compared to return from getting say a base model

hope you made out alright

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Well I caved and got this version. Apple priced me out of the touchbar version. I am going to give that a few years to mature/go away.

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
After about 5 hours with my new MacBook Pro 2016 I think I'm gonna get the refurbished MacBook Pro 2015. I'm sorry but I just hate this keyboard. It is loud and feels cheap same with the trackpad. I think I'm gonna get the MacBook Pro 2015 instead :/ I really wanted to like it, but I just can't. (btw this is all my own opinion)

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
After about 5 hours with my new MacBook Pro 2016 I think I'm gonna get the refurbished MacBook Pro 2015. I'm sorry but I just hate this keyboard. It is loud and feels cheap same with the trackpad. I think I'm gonna get the MacBook Pro 2015 instead :/ I really wanted to like it, but I just can't. (btw this is all my own opinion)

Thing is, this is obviously the future of the keyboard on Macs. You have to get accustomed to it at some point. Unless external keyboards are your flavor. Forever.

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
Thing is, this is obviously the future of the keyboard on Macs. You have to get accustomed to it at some point. Unless external keyboards are your flavor. Forever.

I guess thats true. I just noticed they took down the MacBook 13" 2015 that I was gonna buy. So I guess I'll keep this one a couple more days and see if anything changes.

dapork

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
Greece

Things I like
  • Its so much lighter
  • Keyboard is amazing
  • Screen is amazing
Things I don't like
  • No MagSafe
I've been eyeing one of these two. So the 2015 15" is much more powerful than the new 13"? I guess the same goes for games, right? Ones that are playable on the mac that is.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Lets see this happen on the douchebar version.

I'm actually disappointed by those results (11 hours battery life), and thats with 6-7 low bars on brightness.

One of the big reasons for me buying the 13" non touch bar, was the fact that it had a bigger battery with a ultra low watt CPU. So I was hoping for battery life of around 14 hours.

The one thing I really didn't like about the new macbook pro (I tested my uncle's for an hour), was the 13" screen was too small for me. But I figured I could compromise 2" for longer battery life. However I'm now thinking of returning my 13" once I receive it, and order the 15" when it comes out.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I'm actually disappointed by those results (11 hours battery life), and thats with 6-7 low bars on brightness.

One of the big reasons for me buying the 13" non touch bar, was the fact that it had a bigger battery with a ultra low watt CPU. So I was hoping for battery life of around 14 hours.

The one thing I really didn't like about the new macbook pro (I tested my uncle's for an hour), was the 13" screen was too small for me. But I figured I could compromise 2" for longer battery life. However I'm now thinking of returning my 13" once I receive it, and order the 15" when it comes out.
14 hours with the tiny battery which Ive decided to use in order to make it slightly thinner? i don't think so..

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012

You're disappointed with a MBP only getting 11 hours battery life when Apple quotes 10 hours?

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I've been eyeing one of these two. So the 2015 15" is much more powerful than the new 13"? I guess the same goes for games, right? Ones that are playable on the mac that is.

The top spec 15" is more powerful than the base 13", yes.

Reactions: MacUserUK

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
You're disappointed with a MBP only getting 11 hours battery life when Apple quotes 10 hours?

Yes for me it definitely is. Assuming I get only 1 hour extra, and all the other's I get the quoted 10 hours. Then I would have definitely made a different choice.

On specs, it's logical to assume the base model would have got much more battery life. It has a 15W CPU, 54.5 Wh battery, and no touch bar to power.

While the 13" touchbar model has a 28W CPU, 49.2 Wh battery, and a touch bar to power.

Also looking at the latest geekbench specs. The i7 cpu wasn't worth getting with a median average of 7700, and the i5 with a median average of 7180.

I think I will return it, and get the 15" model, as a bigger screen size is worth more to me than an extra hour. Shame they don't have a 15" without the touch bar.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Yes for me it definitely is. Assuming I get only 1 hour extra, and all the other's I get the quoted 10 hours. Then I would have definitely made a different choice.

On specs, it's logical to assume the base model would have got much more battery life. It has a 15W CPU, 54.5 Wh battery, and no touch bar to power.

While the 13" touchbar model has a 28W CPU, 49.2 Wh battery, and a touch bar to power.

Also looking at the latest geekbench specs. The i7 cpu wasn't worth getting with a median average of 7700, and the i5 with a median average of 7180.

I think I will return it, and get the 15" model, as a bigger screen size is worth more to me than an extra hour. Shame they don't have a 15" without the touch bar.

Why don't you actually test it out before returning it. You're making a decision based on anecdotal evidence. Find out for real before you spend the extra cash.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
True. Tbh, I'm still definitely going to return it because of the cpu benchmark score is only a mere 500 difference, which is definitely not worth the extra £270 for me.

However I may still get this model instead of the 15", because the 15" is too much for what it is I think. What I will do instead, is keep the base CPU (saving the £270), and then upgrade the SSD from 512GB to 1TB, which will only cost an extra £70 to what I paid for this laptop, and be worth more value second hand in the future.

Whatever the case I won't be ordering until it's been returned and refunded.

I still like the base model, don't get me wrong. I tested my uncles base model out, the i5, 250gb, 8gb model, and it was speedy as hell. And the touchbar still has no appeal to me at all. I really wish they had a 15" with no touchbar, but they don't.

So we'll see, but one thing I know for sure. I will be returning. And I will decide between this model but with base cpu and 1tb drive, or a 15" model.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
i am the only one who ordered in silver? most people speaks from space gray

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.