Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesPet

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Hi guys,

my custom built 13@16gb@i7@512GB@grey arrived tonight. First impressions:

- speakers are amazing
- The laptop is absolutely beautiful
- I had before Air mid 2013 and the new laptop feels heavier (although it is actually just 30 grams heavier). Probably because it is smaller
- touchpad is nice and big but the click sound is louder than "normal" click. I think it isn't possible to turn it off
- keyboard is absolutely amazing. I'm already 100% hooked to it. The only issue it's super loud, the aclick is much much louder than the old keyboard. You can notice this especially when you type quickly
- The screen looks much much nicer with the smaller black frame.
- there isn't any more sound when you crack up/down the volume

As far as I can see native/default resolution is 1440x900 the same as on my old Mac Air. I bumped it to 1680x1050 and my eyes are hurting a little bit. I assume it's just adaptation period.

For people who have MacBook Pro Retina 13, which resolution is on your laptop?

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Hi guys,

my custom built 13@16gb@i7@512GB@grey arrived tonight. First impressions:

- speakers are amazing
- The laptop is absolutely beautiful
- I had before Air mid 2013 and the new laptop feels heavier (although it is actually just 30 grams heavier). Probably because it is smaller
- touchpad is nice and big but the click sound is louder than "normal" click. I think it isn't possible to turn it off
- keyboard is absolutely amazing. I'm already 100% hooked to it. The only issue it's super loud, the aclick is much much louder than the old keyboard. You can notice this especially when you type quickly
- The screen looks much much nicer with the smaller black frame.
- there isn't any more sound when you crack up/down the volume

As far as I can see native/default resolution is 1440x900 the same as on my old Mac Air. I bumped it to 1680x1050 and my eyes are hurting a little bit. I assume it's just adaptation period.

For people who have MacBook Pro Retina 13, which resolution is on your laptop?

How do you change resolution on Mac OS? I'm new to the OS so I haven't tried yet.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How do you know what the actual resolution is?

it'll tell you what it looks like beneath the representation of the laptop, in little text,

but as for actual actual resolution, its some sort of scaling magic. I would read an article about it, I dunno what each maps to specifically sorry
[doublepost=1478293637][/doublepost]
I run on 1680x1050. Gives me lots of screen real estate, don't think I could go much higher anyway as everything would be to small.

its amazing that 1680 isn't an eye sore on my 13.3" compared to 12" rMB

hmm , what difference that 1.3" makes!

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Anyone that has this yet, is the extension cable actually included in the box? It is supposedly hidden under the tray insert and you have to take that out to find it?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Anyone that has this yet, is the extension cable actually included in the box? It is supposedly hidden under the tray insert and you have to take that out to find it?

The clutter has been removed; it is not in the box and is now an optional $18 accessory, for your convenience.

"thank you for your order can you please move aside now so I can help the next customer?" -Tim Cook

Reactions: Geert76

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
The clutter has been removed; it is not in the box and is now an optional $18 accessory, for your convenience.

"thank you for your order can you please move aside now so I can help the next customer?" -Tim Cook

Then why did I see a guy on YouTube unbox the computer then cut open the bottom part and the cable was in there? It was EverythingApplePro and idt he'd troll for no reason

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Then why did I see a guy on YouTube unbox the computer then cut open the bottom part and the cable was in there? It was EverythingApplePro and idt he'd troll for no reason

Not sure, it was my understanding that this is no longer included

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
That's why I asked for someone that actually has one haha. I had seen those reports already

I'm very certain that I BELIEVE there was no extension cable.

take that as fact

:D

just kidding, best of luck! Tim snatched your cable in transit, he needed those pennies reselling your extension cable on craigslist

falcon511

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2016
Bought this last night at the Apple Store near me. Employee was really nice. I rather like this Macbook Pro. I also have a Surface pro 4 which I really like, But I like the laptop design better than a 2 in 1. I will still use my gaming desktop for the heavy stuff if need be, but I was downloading a ton of Adobe apps, and MS office, syncing photos and downloading files, that I am not sure I will really have an issue with any of my pro apps giving me a hard time.

I am looking for a USB-C lighting external HD. Does anyone know how this model is for use? I might use this for a Time Machine back up incase I decide to get another MBP in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT250B/dp/B01AVF6WN2

rick987611

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Has anyone hooked this thing into a 5k display? Does mission control lag when using both displays?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I am looking for a USB-C lighting external HD. Does anyone know how this model is for use? I might use this for a Time Machine back up incase I decide to get another MBP in the future.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT250B/dp/B01AVF6WN2
Yes, this should work. But you'll need an additional USB-C cable, since the drive comes with a USB-C to USB-A cable (at least it did when I got mine a few months ago). This drive is very compact, making it great for mobile use. For simple backup purposes at home or office, you can just as well save some money and get any USB 3 drive with a standard Mini-B Superspeed connector (and get a USB-C cable for that).

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
No he didn't:

Actually, he did. I remember watching it. He either took the video down or edited that part out. It was posted 2 days ago and I took screenshots and this is two of them combined.
8144600f190bba577bde3a20b04258a2.jpg

You can also read through the comments of the video that's still up and see where people talk about him cutting open the bottom and showing the extension cable. That video or portion of the video is now gone.

hj576

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2016
Netherlands
Actually, he did. I remember watching it. He either took the video down or edited that part out. It was posted 2 days ago and I took screenshots and this is two of them combined.
8144600f190bba577bde3a20b04258a2.jpg

You can also read through the comments of the video that's still up and see where people talk about him cutting open the bottom and showing the extension cable. That video or portion of the video is now gone.
It was a joke
He also did a video where he drilled a hole into the new iphone saying it gives you a headphone jack :p

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
It was a joke
He also did a video where he drilled a hole into the new iphone saying it gives you a headphone jack :p

Ah see I just saw it watched it quickly and didn't even think about that.

I do remember the headphone jack one though hahah

Reactions: hj576

Gualwer

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2015
So I finally got my MacBook Pro 2016 and I have mixed feelings so far.

I definitely like the way it looks and the screen is gorgeous. I don't mind that it doesn't have USB ports anymore. I purchased a USB type c to lightning so that'll do the job, I don't really use flash drives or SD Cards. I did purchase a USB C to USB 3.0 just in case.

The things I'm not a big fan of are the keyboard and the trackpad. I don't mind that the keyboard doesn't have much travel, but I do notice that the keys are way louder than previous MacBooks (or maybe its just me?). Also, the trackpad sounds kinda cheap when I click on it, I can't really describe the sound, but it just sounds cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.