Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ballyhoos

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2008
[doublepost=1478172302][/doublepost]
I actually don't feel super favorable about the space gray color. It had a sort of muted quality to it. It wasn't like a metallicy he space gray.

It looks like a "dirty" grey and I'm not really a fan of it either. To me, it looks like every other grey PC laptop also.

Last edited:
Reactions: vddobrev

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
[doublepost=1478172302][/doublepost]

It looks like a "dirty" grey and I'm not really a fan of it either. To me, it looks like every other grey PC laptop also.

Why APPLE don't produce a variety of colours for the "top-sellers" laptop bodies? I'm still wondering why...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
If you guys can do without macOS, I would consider the new HP Specter x360 with Kabylake over this machine.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Finally got my MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) with the i7 upgrade and 16 GB of ram.

Here is the geek bench score off of it:

Nice! That bodes very well for those of us awaiting our maxed-out i7 Touchbar models. :)

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
If you guys can do without macOS, I would consider the new HP Specter x360 with Kabylake over this machine.
unfortunately x360 2016 is only coming with a FULL HD screen at the moment which is a no no. 1440 oled and QHD screen options are coming.
[doublepost=1478184634][/doublepost]
Typing this on my new i7/16g/512 non-douchebar MacBook Pro.

Initial thoughts? benchmarks? Bootcamp windows 10 done? detail details details ...

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Screenshot of my http://web.basemark.com

Just for comparison, my 15" mid-2014 quad core i7 2.8 with 16gb does 555.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 10.53.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 10.53.08 AM.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

zcohenzion

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
$300 divided by 60 months = $5 per month. For me, it is worth it. Others will say is not a good value, better get the touch bar version.
[doublepost=1478162646][/doublepost]
Yes it is http://ark.intel.com/products/91169/Intel-Core-i7-6660U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

I just realized the i5/i7 processors in the non-touchbar MBP are less powerful than those in the MBP with-touchbar. So now I really can't justify spending $2000 on the non-touchbar with upgraded 16gb ram and i7.

I guess I'll just get the base MBP with touchbar with upgraded 16gb... it makes more sense... even though I really think the touchbar is useless for me

Reactions: ballyhoos

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
unfortunately x360 2016 is only coming with a FULL HD screen at the moment which is a no no. 1440 oled and QHD screen options are coming.
[doublepost=1478184634][/doublepost]

Initial thoughts? benchmarks? Bootcamp windows 10 done? detail details details ...
If it was a 15" laptop I completely agree with you, at 13", 1080p is pretty good. Besides, 1080p is probably preferred on Windows due to scaling issues. The screen quality seems great.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
I just realized the i5/i7 processors in the non-touchbar MBP are less powerful than those in the MBP with-touchbar. So now I really can't justify spending $2000 on the non-touchbar with upgraded 16gb ram and i7.

I guess I'll just get the base MBP with touchbar with upgraded 16gb... it makes more sense... even though I really think the touchbar is useless for me
If it was a 15" laptop I completely agree with you, at 13", 1080p is pretty good. Besides, 1080p is probably preferred on Windows due to scaling issues. The screen quality seems great.

i checked it out a BB and screen was fuzzy to me. Otherwise awesome laptop.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
I was first planning on getting the douchebar version with 512gb of storage and 16gb of ram, but I'm not sure anymore. I believe the basic non douchebar version might suffice for my needs, and I would save 700 euro, which is quite a lot actually! And after 2 year I could still probably get a lot of money back selling it, whereas the more expensive one would drop in prices much faster.

I wish there was a way of knowing how much ram I need. Sure I often have to wait in illustrator and photoshop with my 4gb system now, but how much of a difference would 8gb or 16gb make.

Last edited:

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
Have been using it all day now. About 80% left with some heavy Spotlight indexing (all files put into the filesystem from my old computer).

I consciously made an effort to notice when I hit the functional keys. I've hit escape 35 times so far today.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys I'm heading to the Apple Store later today and I know I'm going to be super tempted to pick up ones of these (the non-douchebar version). Do you think it's worth it? Right now I have a mid 2012 MBA. It still works fine but the battery needs to be replaced. Not a big deal though. I could probably keep my MBA for another year or so but having a Retina display would be nice. The douchebar is kind of cool but still pretty douchey and way too expensive. Do you think we'll see any deals around Black Friday that are better than the current student discount? Also, I saw there's a rumor about cheaper MacBooks in 2017 but I'm wondering how soon we would really see those. Probably not till the end of 2017 I would think. Anyway, is 16 GB of RAM really necessary for standard every day tasks? Browsing the web, powering an external display, interacting with more 4K content, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2014
Hey guys I'm heading to the Apple Store later today and I know I'm going to be super tempted to pick up ones of these (the non-douchebar version). Do you think it's worth it? Right now I have a mid 2012 MBA. It still works fine but the battery needs to be replaced. Not a big deal though. I could probably keep my MBA for another year or so but having a Retina display would be nice. The douchebar is kind of cool but still pretty douchey and way too expensive. Do you think we'll see any deals around Black Friday that are better than the current student discount? Also, I saw there's a rumor about cheaper MacBooks in 2017 but I'm wondering how soon we would really see those. Probably not till the end of 2017 I would think. Anyway, is 16 GB of RAM really necessary for standard every day tasks? Browsing the web, powering an external display, interacting with more 4K content, etc. Any help is appreciated.
I'm also debating the 16gb, but I can't justify spending 225 euro on an exta 8gb of ram. I think I would rather get the 8gb one and sell it when prices have gone down in the next years and ram speed has gone up.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Am i the only one who kind of likes the idea of having a hub so when I go into desktop mode I can connect all my HDMI/mouse/external hard drive with one plug
You're not the only one! I think it's pretty great. My only issue right now is the cost of the good TB3 docks, but they'll come down over time.

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
You're not the only one! I think it's pretty great. My only issue right now is the cost of the good TB3 docks, but they'll come down over time.
I'll only bite if good ones hit $100. Which may never happen if Belkin has any say lol.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012

Hey so I was basically in your exact position. I had a mid-2012 MacBook Air that was actually moving along pretty well considering it's almost four and half years old, though as with yours the battery life was starting to drain pretty fast. I've been eyeing Retina display Mac's for a while, about a year ago I almost bought a retina MacBook Pro and earlier this year I almost bought a retina MacBook.

I happened to see this machine in Best Buy two days ago and I really loved it, same weight and thickness (at the thickest point anyway) of my Air with considerably better battery life and the most gorgeous display I'd ever seen on a notebook. I decided to pull the trigger and buy it yesterday and so far I'm loving it, the screen, battery life and performance have been great. I haven't done too much intensive work yet as I've mostly been putting things on the computer and migrating files from my Air so I can sell it and recoup some money. Side note: Yes this machine is really expensive and probably not worth the amount I paid but I loved it and I can afford it so whatever. What I have done is web browsing (which it obviously handles really well), listening to music (new speakers are pretty great - certainly a step up from the Air) and light gaming (Portal) which it handled just fine with no fans turning on (the game is almost 10 years old so no surprise to me there).

As for deals I can't really tell you, I live in Canada and apple stuff never seems to go on sale here for anything more than $50 or $100 and even that's pretty rare.

Finally, from my (admittedly limited) knowledge of what you want to do on your computer I think 8GB should be enough, but hopefully someone with more personal experience of your use case can better answer that question.

Also, the keyboard on this machine is magical, I don't know why I just love it a lot.

Hope this helped, if you wanna know anything else feel free to ask and good luck on making a decision!

Reactions: Dick Whitman

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Hey so I was basically in your exact position. I had a mid-2012 MacBook Air that was actually moving along pretty well considering it's almost four and half years old, though as with yours the battery life was starting to drain pretty fast. I've been eyeing Retina display Mac's for a while, about a year ago I almost bought a retina MacBook Pro and earlier this year I almost bought a retina MacBook.

I happened to see this machine in Best Buy two days ago and I really loved it, same weight and thickness (at the thickest point anyway) of my Air with considerably better battery life and the most gorgeous display I'd ever seen on a notebook. I decided to pull the trigger and buy it yesterday and so far I'm loving it, the screen, battery life and performance have been great. I haven't done too much intensive work yet as I've mostly been putting things on the computer and migrating files from my Air so I can sell it and recoup some money. Side note: Yes this machine is really expensive and probably not worth the amount I paid but I loved it and I can afford it so whatever. What I have done is web browsing (which it obviously handles really well), listening to music (new speakers are pretty great - certainly a step up from the Air) and light gaming (Portal) which it handled just fine with no fans turning on (the game is almost 10 years old so no surprise to me there).

As for deals I can't really tell you, I live in Canada and apple stuff never seems to go on sale here for anything more than $50 or $100 and even that's pretty rare.

Finally, from my (admittedly limited) knowledge of what you want to do on your computer I think 8GB should be enough, but hopefully someone with more personal experience of your use case can better answer that question.

Also, the keyboard on this machine is magical, I don't know why I just love it a lot.

Hope this helped, if you wanna know anything else feel free to ask and good luck on making a decision!

i selled my air and get next week i5/16/512 shure high price but its worth :)

i dont worried about the dongles
one for usb 3.0 and one for my external Display. Problem solved

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Am i the only one who kind of likes the idea of having a hub so when I go into desktop mode I can connect all my HDMI/mouse/external hard drive with one plug

I love it. Instead of making my laptop an octopus, I just leave the adapter at work and plug one single cable into the laptop when I get there.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012

Thanks, this was really helpful! I actually didn't end up going to the Apple store today but I might tomorrow. Between PSVR, PS4 Pro, the iPhone 7, and now these MacBooks it's been an expensive fall!

It's good to hear that you're enjoying your new MBP though. I can relate to having been tempted to pick up the retina MacBook earlier in the year but I held out for Apple to announce new MBPs. I'd like to sell my MBA but between the battery issue and a small (but noticeable) white dot in the center of the screen, I doubt I'd get much on eBay especially after fees and shipping. What I might try to do is just trade it in through one of those online sites like Gazelle or NextWorth.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.