Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I went into Best Buy today to test one of these beauties out and omg I love it so much. The space gray is gorgeous, the screen is super sharp, it's as light as my MacBook Air, and I instantly loved the keyboard. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and buy one to replace my 2012 MacBook Air.

I bought it <3 just backing up my MacBook air for transfer to my new computer. So excited!

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Cleaned off and sold my old MacBook Air. Didn't get as much as I probably could have but sold it to a friend. New MacBook Pro arrives Friday morning.

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
When did you order? Surprised to see the BTO "non-douchebar" models arriving already, awesome!

Sunday night. Had issues with billing because, you know, Apple decides to charge the 14 dollars for shipping before they charge the whole price - which screams fraud. Figured out my cc stuff and it shipped Monday night.

powertoold

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I tried out the non-Touch Bar 13 inch in the Apple Store today. It felt incredibly solid in terms of build quality. It had some semi sharp edges that were just sharp enough to use as grips, but not sharp enough to feel any sort of pain.

It looked very small. I wouldn't even think it was a 13 inch laptop. Compared to the old 13 inch MacBook Pro, it felt a lot lighter. I think it's because of the more compact package. It literally just felt like a solid block of aluminum.

The keyboard didn't have that much travel, but it was a little bit different than the 12 inch MacBook in that there was a little bit of a pop at the end of the keypresses. I definitely wouldn't mind typing on the keyboard for a long time .I would just need to remember to type softer.

I actually don't feel super favorable about the space gray color. It had a sort of muted quality to it. It wasn't like a metallicy he space gray.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I've had my 13 inch non-douchebar for a few days now. I got it to replace my 2011 Air. I would rather have bought an updated Air with a modest power and screen resolution bump. I like the new screen, but it doesn't make me look back at the Air and think that the screen sucked. I hate the lack of ports. I hate that the charger no longer displays a charge status light. I'm almost tempted to return it and buy a 2016 latest Air.

Reactions: andrewr2123

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I've had my 13 inch non-douchebar for a few days now. I got it to replace my 2011 Air. I would rather have bought an updated Air with a modest power and screen resolution bump. I like the new screen, but it doesn't make me look back at the Air and think that the screen sucked. I hate the lack of ports. I hate that the charger no longer displays a charge status light. I'm almost tempted to return it and buy a 2016 latest Air.

i hope douchebar expression BLOWS UP

douchbargate?

I'm just kidding though, i think touchbar looks kinda neat

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
I got a good chuckle out of this after looking at your username :)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Your username is rather ironic in context with your comment about the Air screen in comparison to the RMBP screen. I upgraded from a 2011 MBA and the difference with the screen was mind blowing. The MBA screen looks totally washed out in comparison.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Your username is rather ironic in context with your comment about the Air screen in comparison to the RMBP screen. I upgraded from a 2011 MBA and the difference with the screen was mind blowing. The MBA screen looks totally washed out in comparison.

i felt the same way going to 12" rMB

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
That hasn't been my experience. The retina screen looks great while viewing photos or video, but actually doing productive work on it, viewing data, documents, spreadsheets, or even internet, I don't find the screen all that much better than my air.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
That hasn't been my experience. The retina screen looks great while viewing photos or video, but actually doing productive work on it, viewing data, documents, spreadsheets, or even internet, I don't find the screen all that much better than my air.

That's indicative of the limits of your vision then. The retina screen is most important with text - documents, internet, etc. IMO. Low resolution screens like that on the Air are washed out and obviously fuzzy.

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
That's indicative of the limits of your vision then. The retina screen is most important with text - documents, internet, etc. IMO. Low resolution screens like that on the Air are washed out and obviously fuzzy.

Macbook air: Fuzzy, washed out, nasty TN panels.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Even beyond the aesthetics, I like to be able scale down the size of text to fit more on the screen without ending up with obscure blobs for letters.

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
and with a second fan all touchbar models get even louder. i preffer silence machines :) like the non touch

Last edited:

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Hung solo, thank you thank you thank you. You just made my day.

If people are wondering why not get the touch bar model for the cup upgrade cost, my main reasons are:

1. Lower watt cpu plus bigger battery equals longer battery life
2. I want a physical escape key. Even though I could use mac settings to make my caps lock the escape key.
3. I'm too impatient to wait another month to get my hands on it.

However if you notice. By upgrading the cpu on the base model, you are around 400 points higher than the base cpu on the touch bar model.

However for me it's the impatience which gets me the most. Cause the cost difference is only like £50 and a 400 point loss on geek bench on the touch bar model with base cpu, 16gb of ram, and 512 ssd. So I definitely agree the other one is more value for money.
Ditto! Value for money is in the eye of the beholder. I much more value the battery life and the physical F keys, compared to the douchebar version. My iMac is my main machine, laptop must have excellent battery life in the first place, so that's that.
[doublepost=1478157092][/doublepost]
Finally got my MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) with the i7 upgrade and 16 GB of ram.

Here is the geek bench score off of it:
Thanks!!! Can you also do http://web.basemark.com?

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is just an assumption right? No-one actually knows they're not user replaceable yet?

Yeah, that's true. I think this assumption is based on the slides in the keynote that show the SSD in a way that looks like it is soldered. But we won't know for sure until the machines are available.

zcohenzion

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
Decided to get the non-douchbar MBP with 16GB ram.
Not sure if it's worth spending the extra $300 for the i7 upgrade too?
My uses are mostly simple but I want to keep this laptop in top form for 5-6 years...

Any suggestions?

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
Decided to get the non-douchbar MBP with 16GB ram.
Not sure if it's worth spending the extra $300 for the i7 upgrade too?
My uses are mostly simple but I want to keep this laptop in top form for 5-6 years...

Any suggestions?
$300 divided by 60 months = $5 per month. For me, it is worth it. Others will say is not a good value, better get the touch bar version.
[doublepost=1478162646][/doublepost]
is the i7 non touch bar variant also ULV proc like the 2ghz base?
Yes it is http://ark.intel.com/products/91169/Intel-Core-i7-6660U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.