Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Also im yet to hear the fan :)
I thought I heard the fan at one point but it was the whirring of an external hard drive i had connected to it!

Also, the speakers are excellent! The sound is very "full" and clear.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Do you think the base 13" with 2 ports will be like the unibody MacBook - a one gen thing?
I'm suspecting not, since the touch bar has got to cost a couple hundred (at retail), so Apple will want to keep a cost-effective model. Plus, the addition of a second TB3 controller chip adds to the cost as well, and the MacBook Air also had a single controller.

The unibody aluminum MacBook (of which I was an owner) was differentiated from the 13" MacBook Pro by, what, one single FireWire port.

Though after all this time, I've learned not to second guess what Apple might do. Like Trump, they can be "unpredictable!"

Reactions: nuno.nasm

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I also get the same cut down Thunderbolt speed in System Information.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 22.41.36.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-01 at 22.41.36.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: user74246

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I thought I heard the fan at one point but it was the whirring of an external hard drive i had connected to it!

Also, the speakers are excellent! The sound is very "full" and clear.
Agree about the speakers, they are great for a small laptop. The more i use this thing the more happy i did not switch to a Windows Laptop. Build quality is superb. Just need to get past the high price and lack of ports. However the laptop is for light usage for me, if you want a real Pro machine i fear even the higher spec models just wont cut it with the crap dedicated GPU and lack of ports.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I went into Best Buy today to test one of these beauties out and omg I love it so much. The space gray is gorgeous, the screen is super sharp, it's as light as my MacBook Air, and I instantly loved the keyboard. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and buy one to replace my 2012 MacBook Air.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I went into Best Buy today to test one of these beauties out and omg I love it so much. The space gray is gorgeous, the screen is super sharp, it's as light as my MacBook Air, and I instantly loved the keyboard. I'm probably going to go back tomorrow and buy one to replace my 2012 MacBook Air.
Pretty much my exact situation, picked up one yesterday in Space Grey to replace my 2011 MBA. Love it!!

Reactions: AdonisSMU

falcon511

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2016
I am trying to decide between this model or the cheaper system with the legacy ports. I will upgrade the SSD to 256gig and that will bring both machines within a $70 range.

Thoughts?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I am trying to decide between this model or the cheaper system with the legacy ports. I will upgrade the SSD to 256gig and that will bring both machines within a $70 range.

Thoughts?
Once you actually see the 2 machines side by side i think you will want to go for the 2016 model, it really does look great. Makes the 2015 look ancient in comparison. However if you really need the legacy ports then the choice is made for you.

falcon511

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2016
Once you actually see the 2 machines side by side i think you will want to go for the 2016 model, it really does look great. Makes the 2015 look ancient in comparison. However if you really need the legacy ports then the choice is made for you.
That is what Ive been hearing. I hear the screen is top notch, plus i get a faster ssd and better graphics (not doing any gaming, I got a desktop for that). This is more for portability. I was looking at other Windows options but I prefer to just go to my local Apple store if I need it.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
That is what Ive been hearing. I hear the screen is top notch, plus i get a faster ssd and better graphics (not doing any gaming, I got a desktop for that). This is more for portability. I was looking at other Windows options but I prefer to just go to my local Apple store if I need it.
Its funny because when the new model was announced i was pissed off that Apple had to make it thinner rather then give more battery life or ports ect, but once i saw the thing in person it kind of made sense for my light usage patterns. For someone that is using this machine to make a living i can see why people are pissed off, after all this is suppose to be a "PRO" machine and the legacy ports should have remained, no doubt.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks everybody for all the info and opinions, now that I've had mine for a day here's my take:

2016 non-touch-bar 13" MacBook Pro observations:

-- USB-C power connection requires quite a lot of force to unplug, not like the magsafe at all

-- Keyboard is great. Big keycaps, clicky feedback, fast. After a day I like it better than the 2015 MBP 15" keyboard. If you type vigorously it's louder than the traditional MBP keys, but I haven't decided yet whether I mind it.

-- WiFi is improved. I went to the far corners of the house and 802.11ac was consistently 10-20% faster than the 2015 MBP, 802.11g was virtually the same.

-- speakers are great. Just think of very good small speakers (bass is obviously rolled off). Clearly lower distortion at similar volumes than the 2015 MBP, with more detail on complex sounds like drums and acoustic guitar.

-- mirror finish 'apple' on lid looks really cool in person, it creates a crystal clear reflection.

-- TDP/Turbo/Throttling: For this test I did an x264 encode with Handbrake. This instantly pegs the CPU at 100% and the turbo speed is a constant 2.9GHz, with a steady power draw around 16W. After 5 minutes the fan comes on slightly and the temperature plateaus at 90C (not audible at normal living room sound levels) but there is no throttling, the CPU speed never changes. After 30 minutes the case bottom is warm, not hot. I don't have a perfect combined CPU and GPU test. Some webgl demos that peg the GPU plateau the power draw at 24W, but the fan is still not on high.

In comparison, the 2015 MBP fan goes high almost instantly, and there is lots of yo-yo throttling throughout the compression job (which still runs much faster of course). But this is the lesson: Hotter CPUs throttle, lower-power ones don't.

-- Battery life: After an overnight charge and 15 minutes of web browsing, charge is still 100% and time remaining is 11:56

-- SSD: It does bench out faster than the 2015 MBP but I think that's mainly an improvement in large reads and writes. For more varied I/O patterns like installing an app it's about the same.

-- Screen: The color saturation and contrast improvements are quite noticeable, but the contrast benefits stay with you longer. Some movies played with VLC did not look good, skin tones etc are too colorful, but maybe that's just VLC. The ability to crank the brightness up that high is nice when there's a window at your back, and the anti-reflective coating is impressive.

-- Trackpad: I like the larger size. It's also fun that they calibrated the trackpad click amplitude to match the click impact of the keys, it feels just the same.

-- UI: for a normal arrangement of 5 Safari windows/15 tabs, 3 PDFs in preview, and a Logic Pro X window filling the screen underneath I saw no hesitation in scrolling or mission control transitions.

-- Generally, it's a great machine if you're looking for ergonomics, durability, and not a great deal of multitasking since it's not a quad-core (Geekbench approx. 3500/7000). Try to find that combination of screen, keyboard, speakers, and battery life anywhere else!

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Glad to hear your experience, as I have also been contemplating moving from my current 2015 base 12" rMB to the 2016 base rMBP. I don't have any issues with the single USB-C port as I don't use SD cards, HDMI or even USB that often (I do occasionally but I have the USB-C to USB-A adapter) and while I don't think the keyboard is as good as the one in previous MacBooks, it works well enough and I don't have any problems using it.

My main thing is I wish the battery life were a teensy bit better (which was done in the 2016 version) and I wish I could be rid of the occasional stuttering/UI lag. So far, the new base 13" rMBP sounds like it could accomplish both of the above so it's perked my interest, but I've grown to like the quiet, fan-less design of the rMB. Previously, with my late 2013 13" rMBP, the fans would often kick in when I watch videos on VLC and the noise was fairly annoying. Since then, I've come to realize VLC is not the most efficient media player around and I've since switched to mpv for my video needs.

I guess this longwinded diatribe is my way of asking how the noise level is and do the fans kick in when you watch videos? If they do, are they noticeable and/or off-putting to you?

I can't quite quantify it but it does seem that little bit smoother compared to my base 2015 rMB. Unfortunately I don't watch videos on this (I have an iPad Pro as a consumption device) though I can say that I haven't actually heard the fan kick in yet. The base does feel slightly warmer than the rMB though I would put it down to a more powerful processor.

Reactions: wchigo

kungxpao

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Socal
I'm thinking about cancelling my MacBook w/ touch bar for the no touch instead. Who here actually looks down while using their mac? Seems like a hassle.

powertoold

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I'm thinking about cancelling my MacBook w/ touch bar for the no touch instead. Who here actually looks down while using their mac? Seems like a hassle.

You don't actually need to look down after a while. Just like you don't when typing.

Anyway, for me, TouchID alone is worth $200.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007

Honestly the biggest appeal of the touch bar is actually freeing some valuable screen space. Being able to work on a fullscreen document with the commands on top of the keyboard is nice.

Same thing for Final Cut, or anything that you wish to do fullscreen.

However, it's nice to have, but I just can't see it as a game changer.

Especially since some of the things they showed, the immense trackpad actually do pretty well. All that precise side scrolling is already very very good with a good UI and the trackpad.

The other thing like word suggestions, the only reason I use it sometimes on the iPhone is because well it's its a tiny touch screen keyboard. The less I type the better it is. But on a regular full size keyboard It's just not a real issue.

Even TouchID. It's cool, but still it clearly solve a huge problem on the phone where you constantly lock/unlock your phone all day long. A computer you usually unlock it for an longer period of time.

So it's just not worth the price you pay for it imo.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Touch ID and emoji is probably how most people will use it in a natural sense.

timcook_boyfriend

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2016
have someone make his order with the
i7 2.4 cpu upgrade?

Extra configuration use cpu 2.4 ghz i7 up to 3.4 ghz. (6660U)

I could not find any testing on this processor. But is 2 core 4 thread cpu, not a serious more performance boost.

I suggest memory upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.