Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fr45er

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2016
I just tried mine - the Toslink cable doesn't click into the port as it did on my previous MacBook Pro (2015)

Reactions: xmonkey

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
For those of you with the new 2016 MacBook Pro (2.0GHz), would you mind running the Web BaseMark benchmark (web.basemark.com) on it in Safari and post the score?

My late 2013 13" MBP (2.4GHz i5) gets a score of 291.5 and my 12.9" iPad Pro gets a score of 305.4.

Curious to see how the new base model MBP does. Thanks!

ConnorMcJeebus

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2016
I asked a similar question, and got a similar answer. For me, it is not a question of whether or not I can get the TB model for the same price, which is obvious. The no TB model has bigger battery, and a 15W CPU. I still have not heard an opinion/comparison of pure performance of the 2.0 i5 of the 2.4 i7. If anyone can comment, please leave the price equation out.

The answers you've gotten so far reflect the general opinion that a bump in CPU frequency won't result in a noticeable performance boost, or at least one that is worth the amount of money it would cost for the "upgrade". Usually, upgrading the RAM or GPU (whether it's an iGPU or dGPU) first will be better for noticeable performance and for "future proofing" your machine. If you still have money to burn, then it won't hurt to upgrade the CPU frequency. If you have the cash and you want 2.4, then get 2.4. Obviously the 2.4 will process information a bit "faster" than the 2.0.

Even if you get benchmark numbers, what will they actually tell you? You'll just get relative numbers...one set of numbers higher than the other, but probably not by much. Those sets of numbers will say nothing about what you'll actually notice in your day-to-day use of the machine and whether spending the extra money will give you enough value for your money.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Hows the "make myself believe my rMB 12" is still awesome and I do not need to get the new MBP effort coming along? Have you convinced yourself 100% yet?

Resistance is futile. Get it while its hot.

The prices are hot too! Haha

Kinda wish I got in on the 1189 for non touch model but oh well.

GZR

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
Mine is here, just transferring a Time Machine to it now.

My trusty old backup drive can only sustain 30MB/s:oops:

keviig

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
For those of you with the new 2016 MacBook Pro (2.0GHz), would you mind running the Web BaseMark benchmark (web.basemark.com) on it in Safari and post the score?

My late 2013 13" MBP (2.4GHz i5) gets a score of 291.5 and my 12.9" iPad Pro gets a score of 305.4.

Curious to see how the new base model MBP does. Thanks!
Here you go, 2016 2.0GHz base model running Safari and newest Mac OS 10.12.1 (439.23 score)
Skjermbilde 2016-11-01 kl. 20.33.03.png

Edit: Ran it on my gaming pc with a 6600k @ 4.5 GHz and a gtx 1070 and got 536.72 in Chrome, so if scores are comparable across browsers and OS' then the MBP isn't far behind considering it draws 1/10 the power.

Last edited:

LMN_O

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2016
Just checked out the non-touchbar display model at my local Apple Store. I ran the "Helena Beat" demo song they have loaded up for Logic Pro, and it pretty much maxed out the CPU at some points. That song has a lot going on, to be sure... including 45 synths packed into one of the track stacks.

For comparison's sake, I ran the track on my 2012 Mac Mini server (2.6 GHz i7 with SSD), and it's at roughly 50% CPU for the most complex parts. One difference: The Mac Mini is still running El Capitan.

Thought the MacBook Pro would have performed a little better, not that I'd use it primarily as a Logic machine.

And I'm not here to beat up on this hardware release in general! I'll still be getting one of these new MBPs – just a question of which one.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Here you go, 2016 2.0GHz base model running Safari and newest Mac OS 10.12.1 (439.23 score)
View attachment 669736

Edit: Ran it on my gaming pc with a 6600k @ 4.5 GHz and a gtx 1070 and got 536.72 in Chrome, so if scores are comparable across browsers and OS' then the MBP isn't far behind considering it draws 1/10 the power.
Awesome, thanks!

That helps a lot, actually. That's a good amount faster than my 2013 model.
[doublepost=1478029459][/doublepost]
Just checked out the non-touchbar display model at my local Apple Store. I ran the "Helena Beat" demo song they have loaded up for Logic Pro, and it pretty much maxed out the CPU at some points. That song has a lot going on, to be sure... including 45 synths packed into one of the track stacks.

For comparison's sake, I ran the track on my 2012 Mac Mini server (2.6 GHz i7 with SSD), and it's at roughly 50% CPU for the most complex parts. One difference: The Mac Mini is still running El Capitan.

Thought the MacBook Pro would have performed a little better, not that I'd use it primarily as a Logic machine.

And I'm not here to beat up on this hardware release in general! I'll still be getting one of these new MBPs – just a question of which one.
Your mini is a quad core processor. That, I would think, makes the biggest difference.

Reactions: keviig

Macalway

macrumors 601
Aug 7, 2013
These machines are very nice, rather nicer than anything to date ( I have one now). I do think it may be worth it to pay the extra $300 for the touch bar version, unless you absolutely are strapped for cash, or you need the extra battery time

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Im sure theres a dongle for it LOL
It doesn't appear there is actually :\

Need to figure out how I'm gonna hook it up to my speakers now... why did you have to remove this of all things Apple? I figured a big reason they left the headphone jack in was so that they could keep the optical capability.

edit - Looks like I could get a non USB-C to Toslink adapter and then convert it to USB-C, kind of a hassle though..

budfoot

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Boston, MA
These machines are very nice, rather nicer than anything to date ( I have one now). I do think it may be worth it to pay the extra $300 for the touch bar version, unless you absolutely are strapped for cash, or you need the extra battery time
Or you operate in clamshell mode 90% of the time. Or if you need function keys for your job.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
It doesn't appear there is actually :\

Need to figure out how I'm gonna hook it up to my speakers now... why did you have to remove this of all things Apple? I figured a big reason they left the headphone jack in was so that they could keep the optical capability.

edit - Looks like I could get a non USB-C to Toslink adapter and then convert it to USB-C, kind of a hassle though..
Yeah I agree, I wish Apple just left all the ports as they were, thankfully for my usage I don't need the ports so I'm happy with my base 2106 rMBP but I can see a lot of people not buying it due to the lack or ports.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
any new reports on battery life?
On my first charge i got about 8 hours but this included alot of flash heavy sites in safari. Second charge is looking better again, think it will get 10 hours no problems. Compared to the 3 hours i was getting on my 2011 MBA is great :) Also im yet to hear the fan :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Abaganov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.