Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Totally underwhelmed.

The new form factor cannot compare with the 12 MacBook, feels the same as the old rmbp just slightly lighter but does enable new use cases like the 12 does. If the m7 can hang with this version then there's absolutely no point. Spec the 12 m7 256 over this unless you need to upgrade to 16gb ram and more battery. Either go with the 12 for true portability or 15 for power.

how does m7 bench against this base 13?

Reactions: m-a

Schipperenzot

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am about to order the new base 13 inch MBP, but I still have a question about these USB C ports.

Can I use my external USB A hard drive (or even a simple USB stick) if I plug it into the USB A port of my current external monitor, which I will conect to this 2016 MBP with a HDMI to USB C adapter?

Your comments would be highly appreciated!

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am about to order the new base 13 inch MBP, but I still have a question about these USB C ports.

Can I use my external USB A hard drive (or even a simple USB stick) if I plug it into the USB A port of my current external monitor, which I will conect to this 2016 MBP with a HDMI to USB C adapter?

Yes.

maximit

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
Anyone know if the audio port is a combination 3.5mm and optical audio mini-Toslink or just a regular analog 3.5mm?

Reactions: vddobrev

user74246

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2016
But the added weight and form factor difference is also very noticeable, and the April 2017 Macbook model will likely offer upgrades (CPU, keyboard, etc) that make it a very compelling alternative to the 13" MBP, with or without TB.
Yep, it is an alternative and if there was a 13.3" MB then I would expect that machine to become the most popular for the average user. But between the 12" MB and the base model 13.3" MBP, I totally expect the additional screen space will be the deciding factor for many to go with the MBP.
[doublepost=1477990730][/doublepost]
No, you would need to connect USB as well. HDMI alone won't transfer USB. So go with a larger hub like the Apple Digital AV adapter and an USB-C extension cable so you don't have to see it.

Last edited:

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
I don't live in the USA or shop black Friday sales. I get my cables locally. I can get an HDMI cable for 4.58€ Works perfectly with no issues. Do they even make an HDMI to USB-C cable or adapter?

USB-C to HDMI Adapter
(through Amazon or eBay)
Specs/Features:

https://www.startech.com/AV/usb-c-video-adapters/usb-c-hdmi-adapter~CDP2HD
[doublepost=1477995800][/doublepost]
Hi everyone,

Can I use my external USB A hard drive (or even a simple USB stick) if I plug it into the USB A port of my current external monitor, which I will connect to this 2016 MBP with a HDMI to USB C adapter?

Keep in mind that HDMI receives video signals, it doesn't support data transfer from/to a monitor port to/from a USB port unless it is connected with a USB adapter cable (not through an HDMI adapter). Why don't you buy one of the below adapter cables?

USB-C to USB-A Adapter Cable - M/F - 6in - USB 3.0
(through Amazon or eBay)
Specs/Features:
https://www.startech.com/Cables/usb-c/usb-3-0-c-a-adapter-cable~USB31CAADP
or
USB-C to USB-A Adapter - M/F - USB 3.0
https://www.startech.com/Cables/usb-c/usb-3-0-c-a-adapter~USB31CAADG

If you need the USB3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps) adapter cable:

USB-C to USB-A Cable - M/M - 1m (3ft) - USB 3.1 (10Gbps)
https://www.startech.com/Cables/usb-c/usb-3-1-a-c-cable~USB31AC1M

For your help.

Last edited:

elleana

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
There seems to be a fair bit of chatter comparing this to the 12" rMB, so I shall add my 2c to the discussion:

My primary use case for my (2015) 12" rMB is portable work machine for when I travel. I use a Citrix VPN to access my work "desktop" so the rMB had more than enough power. My main bottleneck is spotty hotel wifi or mobile internet, which is of course an unsolveable problem. I initially picked it up for its teensy tiny size ('downgraded' from a Retina MBP) but fell in love with the butterfly keyboard. While on the road the only accessory I use is a mouse, so I picked up a Logitech bluetooth one and have never ever thought in my head - damnit wish I had a proper USB port. I have a Classic Mac Pro at home for every other computing need I could possibly have.

After using it for a while though I found that you could have something 'too small'. It almost felt a little too dinky, especially when actually using it as a 'lap'top, and while going from 13" to 12" didn't seem all at much of a step down in real world use I could tell the difference. Or maybe my eyes are just used to the 13" screen, I dunno. Anyway, I lived with it because well, there wasn't anything else compelling.

Until now that is. I purchased a Space Grey model over the weekend and couldn't be happier*. I am back at 13", have no need for nor interest in the touchbar, lack of connectivity (and apparently gimped processor??) does not faze me in the least, form factor feels 'just right', butterfly v2 is even more awesome than butterfly v1 (though I realize this is subjective), weight isn't that much heavier that it becomes a burden.

* - that is, until another 18 months have passed and Apple release the next generation MacBook / MacBook Pro with some other awesome killer feature, but that's another story..

Happy to answer any 'real world use' questions between the rMB and the new non-touchbar MBP. Don't ask me for benchmarks and the like though, I have zero interest in all that stuff.

baddj

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
Did not want to start a whole thread on my question as it seems like this thread is the best place to ask.

Well my PC just died and have not used Mac for along time (using my old 2008 Macbook alum now sooo slow) and thinking of coming back to Mac, I have a couple questions that will dictate if I just build anther PC or get the non touch Macbook Pro for the budget I have.

1) Will the new non touch Macbook Pro run Autodesk Fusion 360 smoothly?
2) Will I be able to run 2 USB C docks from the 2 ports to get extra USB A and to run 2 1080p monitors?
3) related to 2 will doing this effect performance of the computer much?

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
did the most people order the 13 inch with i5 or i7 cpu i dont know how much is the speed increase from 2.0 to 2.4 base speed

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
did the most people order the 13 inch with i5 or i7 cpu i dont know how much is the speed increase from 2.0 to 2.4 base speed

Pointless to upgrade the CPU on the base model, may as well get the touch bar version for the same price basically.

I asked a similar question, and got a similar answer. For me, it is not a question of whether or not I can get the TB model for the same price, which is obvious. The no TB model has bigger battery, and a 15W CPU. I still have not heard an opinion/comparison of pure performance of the 2.0 i5 of the 2.4 i7. If anyone can comment, please leave the price equation out.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I asked a similar question, and got a similar answer. For me, it is not a question of whether or not I can get the TB model for the same price, which is obvious. The no TB model has bigger battery, and a 15W CPU. I still have not heard an opinion/comparison of pure performance of the 2.0 i5 of the 2.4 i7. If anyone can comment, please leave the price equation out.
In that case you will have to wait for some benchmarks to come out for the 2.4ghz.i7 and compare.

supajam

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
I'm was tempted with the rMB m7 too but I don't see it as a main driver, whereas the non touch MBP I can. Not too fussed with the screen size (the 12" form factor is awesome) but the MBP offers a better CPU for occasional intensive tasks, faster SSD, better keyboard, better screen and better battery life. Couple that with it having active cooling rather than being fanless, I feel more comfortable it lasting a few years if used as a primary machine.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
There seems to be a fair bit of chatter comparing this to the 12" rMB, so I shall add my 2c to the discussion:

My primary use case for my (2015) 12" rMB is portable work machine for when I travel. I use a Citrix VPN to access my work "desktop" so the rMB had more than enough power. My main bottleneck is spotty hotel wifi or mobile internet, which is of course an unsolveable problem. I initially picked it up for its teensy tiny size ('downgraded' from a Retina MBP) but fell in love with the butterfly keyboard. While on the road the only accessory I use is a mouse, so I picked up a Logitech bluetooth one and have never ever thought in my head - damnit wish I had a proper USB port. I have a Classic Mac Pro at home for every other computing need I could possibly have.

After using it for a while though I found that you could have something 'too small'. It almost felt a little too dinky, especially when actually using it as a 'lap'top, and while going from 13" to 12" didn't seem all at much of a step down in real world use I could tell the difference. Or maybe my eyes are just used to the 13" screen, I dunno. Anyway, I lived with it because well, there wasn't anything else compelling.

Until now that is. I purchased a Space Grey model over the weekend and couldn't be happier*. I am back at 13", have no need for nor interest in the touchbar, lack of connectivity (and apparently gimped processor??) does not faze me in the least, form factor feels 'just right', butterfly v2 is even more awesome than butterfly v1 (though I realize this is subjective), weight isn't that much heavier that it becomes a burden.

* - that is, until another 18 months have passed and Apple release the next generation MacBook / MacBook Pro with some other awesome killer feature, but that's another story..

Happy to answer any 'real world use' questions between the rMB and the new non-touchbar MBP. Don't ask me for benchmarks and the like though, I have zero interest in all that stuff.
Glad to hear your experience, as I have also been contemplating moving from my current 2015 base 12" rMB to the 2016 base rMBP. I don't have any issues with the single USB-C port as I don't use SD cards, HDMI or even USB that often (I do occasionally but I have the USB-C to USB-A adapter) and while I don't think the keyboard is as good as the one in previous MacBooks, it works well enough and I don't have any problems using it.

My main thing is I wish the battery life were a teensy bit better (which was done in the 2016 version) and I wish I could be rid of the occasional stuttering/UI lag. So far, the new base 13" rMBP sounds like it could accomplish both of the above so it's perked my interest, but I've grown to like the quiet, fan-less design of the rMB. Previously, with my late 2013 13" rMBP, the fans would often kick in when I watch videos on VLC and the noise was fairly annoying. Since then, I've come to realize VLC is not the most efficient media player around and I've since switched to mpv for my video needs.

I guess this longwinded diatribe is my way of asking how the noise level is and do the fans kick in when you watch videos? If they do, are they noticeable and/or off-putting to you?

GastonM

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Netherlands, Europe
A teardown from iFixit today shows that the new MacBook Pro now uses a Wi-Fi module which is soldered on the logic board rather than a dedicated AirPort card. I wonder how this will affect WiFi performance and coverage. Can anyone with the new MacBook Pro compare the WiFi performance with another previous Mac?

I just don't hope the WiFi performance will now be comparable to iPhones and iPads, since these usually perform worse than any Mac.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA

No, because the HDMI input on the monitor cannot carry USB signals. You should be able to connect the integrated USB hub of your monitor to the other USB-C port using a USB-C to type-B cable, but then of course there is no port left to charge the computer. A dock seems pretty much a must for the no-touch bar model if you want to use an external monitor.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Just a heads up, having a TON of kernel panics with a base 13 and the OWC USB-C Dock. This dock was previously connected to a 2016 m7 MacBook and it never once had a panic.

nonm

macrumors regular
May 7, 2015
Germany
A teardown from iFixit today shows that the new MacBook Pro now uses a Wi-Fi module which is soldered on the logic board rather than a dedicated AirPort card. I wonder how this will affect WiFi performance and coverage. Can anyone with the new MacBook Pro compare the WiFi performance with another previous Mac?

I just don't hope the WiFi performance will now be comparable to iPhones and iPads, since these usually perform worse than any Mac.
My WiFi Speeds are really fast. 2 Rooms away from the Router and im getting full speed. Had the MB 12" and MacBook Air before, same speed as it is now.
[doublepost=1478021104][/doublepost]BTW here is my Battery today:

2ff36cc9b5cb475da9f08fcdebf803c5.png

Reactions: Kimcha
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.