Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanielDD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2013
Portugal
Thanks everybody for all the info and opinions, now that I've had mine for a day here's my take:

2016 non-touch-bar 13" MacBook Pro observations:

-- USB-C power connection requires quite a lot of force to unplug, not like the magsafe at all

-- Keyboard is great. Big keycaps, clicky feedback, fast. After a day I like it better than the 2015 MBP 15" keyboard. If you type vigorously it's louder than the traditional MBP keys, but I haven't decided yet whether I mind it.

-- WiFi is improved. I went to the far corners of the house and 802.11ac was consistently 10-20% faster than the 2015 MBP, 802.11g was virtually the same.

-- speakers are great. Just think of very good small speakers (bass is obviously rolled off). Clearly lower distortion at similar volumes than the 2015 MBP, with more detail on complex sounds like drums and acoustic guitar.

-- mirror finish 'apple' on lid looks really cool in person, it creates a crystal clear reflection.

-- TDP/Turbo/Throttling: For this test I did an x264 encode with Handbrake. This instantly pegs the CPU at 100% and the turbo speed is a constant 2.9GHz, with a steady power draw around 16W. After 5 minutes the fan comes on slightly and the temperature plateaus at 90C (not audible at normal living room sound levels) but there is no throttling, the CPU speed never changes. After 30 minutes the case bottom is warm, not hot. I don't have a perfect combined CPU and GPU test. Some webgl demos that peg the GPU plateau the power draw at 24W, but the fan is still not on high.

In comparison, the 2015 MBP fan goes high almost instantly, and there is lots of yo-yo throttling throughout the compression job (which still runs much faster of course). But this is the lesson: Hotter CPUs throttle, lower-power ones don't.

-- Battery life: After an overnight charge and 15 minutes of web browsing, charge is still 100% and time remaining is 11:56

-- SSD: It does bench out faster than the 2015 MBP but I think that's mainly an improvement in large reads and writes. For more varied I/O patterns like installing an app it's about the same.

-- Screen: The color saturation and contrast improvements are quite noticeable, but the contrast benefits stay with you longer. Some movies played with VLC did not look good, skin tones etc are too colorful, but maybe that's just VLC. The ability to crank the brightness up that high is nice when there's a window at your back, and the anti-reflective coating is impressive.

-- Trackpad: I like the larger size. It's also fun that they calibrated the trackpad click amplitude to match the click impact of the keys, it feels just the same.

-- UI: for a normal arrangement of 5 Safari windows/15 tabs, 3 PDFs in preview, and a Logic Pro X window filling the screen underneath I saw no hesitation in scrolling or mission control transitions.

-- Generally, it's a great machine if you're looking for ergonomics, durability, and not a great deal of multitasking since it's not a quad-core (Geekbench approx. 3500/7000). Try to find that combination of screen, keyboard, speakers, and battery life anywhere else!

Thank you for your review. Didn't expect the CPU and GPU to hold high intensive tasks without significant throttling. That's very good news :)

Jker

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2016
So I've just gotten mine base version today and here are observations after 4 hours of us.

1. I'm in the small minority who love the keyboard, the feel is great for me personally! However, the enter button is different to the one on the 2015 edition, and this is a large pain thus far adapting. I keep typing '\" instead of enter!

2. Screen is a beaut.

3. Speakers are definitely louder too which is a plus, nothing groundbreaking though.

4. As far as speed goes, it's pretty much identical to the previous 2015 one. Frame wise though it's superior when running games such as LoL.

5. If it had 3 USB-C ports, it would be the dream. Or even magsafe...

6. Battery is pretty solid too.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying it, but may end up getting a douchebar one...

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
So I've just gotten mine base version today and here are observations after 4 hours of us.

1. I'm in the small minority who love the keyboard, the feel is great for me personally! However, the enter button is different to the one on the 2015 edition, and this is a large pain thus far adapting. I keep typing '\" instead of enter!

2. Screen is a beaut.

3. Speakers are definitely louder too which is a plus, nothing groundbreaking though.

4. As far as speed goes, it's pretty much identical to the previous 2015 one. Frame wise though it's superior when running games such as LoL.

5. If it had 3 USB-C ports, it would be the dream. Or even magsafe...

6. Battery is pretty solid too.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying it, but may end up getting a douchebar one...
lmfao @ "douchebar"

Reactions: jmoore5196

Menno87

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2008
Netherlands, the
I suspect that this is because macOS doesn't support DP 1.2 chaining or hubs (thanks, Apple!).

Yeah it sucks, especially that it works under windows (bootcamp) that I tested. Anyway I ordered a LG 27UD88 (the cheap version, not the apple version) display with usb-c. I am going to sell this dell 5k screen and return the startech adapter. Not going to fiddle around, I love the machine. Tomorrow I am going to exchange it for the silver version though. I thought the space grey would win me over but I love the classic look more. The workload I put on today sustained 2.9ghz like mentioned before and was fine for development. I run 1 VM anyway. The rest of the vm's are on a home server.

onelessthing

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2016
Germany
now as the mbp also got usb-c is it possilble to charge the device with an external battery like on the mb 12" ?

for example the anker powercore+

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
I am very much interested in seeing benchmarks after you get.

Me too.

I'm from the UK, and I ordered the non-touch bar, 16gb, upgraded cpu (6660u), and 512gb SSD. However mines estimated for the 9th-11th of November delivery.

And I really really want to know, how much the CPU upgrade increases the Geekbench score. So please when you get in the next few days, please please please do a geekbench and share the results.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
I've done an embarrassing number of geekbench tests over the years and I would be very surprised if it wasn't a linear improvement, so, expect 10% faster.

Reactions: keviig

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Me too.

I'm from the UK, and I ordered the non-touch bar, 16gb, upgraded cpu (6660u), and 512gb SSD. However mines estimated for the 9th-11th of November delivery.

And I really really want to know, how much the CPU upgrade increases the Geekbench score. So please when you get in the next few days, please please please do a geekbench and share the results.

same here dont know is the Upgrade to non touch i7 a good idear or not

I ordered i5 but now i am undecided

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
Me too.

Its barely 5% faster. Rather than upgrade cpu for 300 change to touch bar version instead for 300. The 28watt i5 is faster than both 15watt i5 and i7.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Finally got my MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) with the i7 upgrade and 16 GB of ram.

Here is the geek bench score off of it:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 7.07.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 7.07.35 PM.png
    165.3 KB · Views: 300

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
Finally got my MacBook Pro (non-touchbar) with the i7 upgrade and 16 GB of ram.

Here is the geek bench score off of it:

Nice numbers, congrats. Looks like you got at least the 10% that the specs would suggest.
Are you planning to test the fan characteristics at 100% load? I recommend Intel Power Gadget for measurements.

Hung_Solo

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
and related to that, 1 fan as well or 2 like 13" tb

One fan for sure due to the less watt CPU.
[doublepost=1478132351][/doublepost]
Nice numbers, congrats. Looks like you got at least the 10% that the specs would suggest.
Are you planning to test the fan characteristics at 100% load? I recommend Intel Power Gadget for measurements.

Was planning on doing that later on after I get done with my vacation but I appreciate the recommendation for the Intel Power Gadget.

manny88

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Hung solo, thank you thank you thank you. You just made my day.

If people are wondering why not get the touch bar model for the cup upgrade cost, my main reasons are:

1. Lower watt cpu plus bigger battery equals longer battery life
2. I want a physical escape key. Even though I could use mac settings to make my caps lock the escape key.
3. I'm too impatient to wait another month to get my hands on it.

However if you notice. By upgrading the cpu on the base model, you are around 400 points higher than the base cpu on the touch bar model.

However for me it's the impatience which gets me the most. Cause the cost difference is only like £50 and a 400 point loss on geek bench on the touch bar model with base cpu, 16gb of ram, and 512 ssd. So I definitely agree the other one is more value for money.

5iMacs

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
After another day into it i can say that this 15W platform really does get breakthrough battery life, just like the Ars Technica review highlighted. It's like an iPad, you just don't think about charging it during the day.

Apple low-balled the rating lumping it in with the 10hr of the touch bar version, in my opinion, which is not what I expected (I was speculating that the battery life would be nearly equal)

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
After another day into it i can say that this 15W platform really does get breakthrough battery life, just like the Ars Technica review highlighted. It's like an iPad, you just don't think about charging it during the day.

Apple low-balled the rating lumping it in with the 10hr of the touch bar version, in my opinion, which is not what I expected (I was speculating that the battery life would be nearly equal)

Apple did that to simply ensure people do not buy the base model for its stellar battery life and they lose out on the profits from the higher end models (at least in the 13" range).

Watch the "douchebar" 13 get around 8 hours making this base 13 even better in battery life stamina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.