Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I just had the battery in my almost 4yr old X replaced a couple a weeks ago by Apple and it still works amazingly well. I was tempted last year and definitely tempted to get the 13 Pro or Pro Max this year but I keep waiting for my phone to stop giving me the experience I expect from a phone. If I do decide to upgrade to a larger phone this year, the X will stay as a backup that's for sure...

Last edited:
Reactions: MacLappy

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Loved the small form factor of the SE, but my original one was only 64GB and I wanted to have a lot of music and books on it, so I went for an Apple-refurb 128GB one year instead of upgrading to a newer iPhone model, and retained the original 64GB model as my "spare in a desk drawer".

Finally did upgrade to later iPhone hardware, but preferentially still use my SE for phone-like purposes (phone, texting, 2FA, quick checks of news, stocks etc) and now rely on the great screen of my sunflower yellow XR in WiFi-only mode for long reads -- online news subs, books-- and rewatches of TV or movies I've seen before. For digital format magazines and new-to-me movies or TV, I more often use an iPad Pro or my MBA.

I suppose I'd be a candidate for the iPhone 13 mini, but the SEs still work fine for the assigned purposes, and same with the XR, so I'm passing on iPhone upgrades in 2021. Saving up to upgrade next either my iPad mini 4 or an aging 10.5" iPad pro.

madebybela

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2020
Montebello, CA
My old retired 2G/3G/4S/6/7/SE are chilling on my dresser.

I uprgraded from an SE (first gen) to a 12 mini last year. Wasn’t as pleased with the “full screen” iPhone experience so I sold it and got an Apple refurbished iPhone 8 instead since they were very cheap.

So far it’s working really great for me. I’ll probably try to hang onto this thing until they finally make an iPhone without a notch lol
If they haven’t, maybe they’ll have some newer refurbished SE’s available. :)

Tozovac

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2014
Still using and enjoying my 8 Plus.

Estimated savings over purchasing an equivalent new iPhone every year: $6000 (including cases, accessories, etc.)

Have a friend who is still using a flip phone. Every year he looks at the new iPhones but invests the money he would have spent on a new phone instead. Result: $25,000 invested has now grown to $56,000. Extra benefit: people don't bug him with text messages because they know it's too much of a pain for him to text back. Peace and quiet.

Whenever I think about getting a new phone, I take my 8 Plus out of its case and admire it. Looks like new! Works pretty much like new, as well. Just got a new battery.

How about you? Who's still using an old phone? Which one? And how much have you saved as a result? Added benefits?
Many smart people have said that one of the greatest predictors for success in life is delayed gratification.

I could not agree more.

Reactions: Boyyai and tis

tis

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2020
If $$$ wasn’t a factor I bet 80% of the people here would upgrade. Lots of posts justifying why they are keeping there VHS of a phone.
Do you think that everyone in the world who can afford to buy a Lamborghini buys one? Of course not. Not upgrading your phone to the newest device, when your current device gets the job done, is simply being smart.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I keep my iPhones for 2 years and never buy the top of the range variant because it doesn’t do anything I can’t do on the standard iPhones. I do like to change when my contracts are up though. It’s not a case of cost for me, I could afford the latest and greatest every year but I think it’s a case of interest level. I’m not a true phone enthusiast and prefer to spend my money on things that are more important to me. I find most of my close friends and family have older iPhones and it’s not because they can’t afford a top of the line iPhone 13 Pro Max bla bla bla, it’s just not something they desire. We are all different

Joplin

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008
I’ve been using my iPhone SE (2016) for five years. The battery at this point is pretty terrible, but I am a light user so I get by.

I’m casually looking to either replace the battery, upgrade to a used iPhone 8 or maybe just wait it out and see if Apple releases a third gen SE in 2022.

I still love the form factor of this device.

Reactions: Boyyai

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
There’s only so far back a person can go where appreciation turns into loathing.
I think the iPhone 4S falls into that category. I still have my old one and it’s horrible.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I'm having a hard time understanding how you are doing this math. I mean you would have to throw the phone in the trash every year to even come close to that number. I just upgraded from a 12 pro max to a 13 pro and it cost me $210 + $15 for a new case. I have not needed new accessories since Apple switched to the lightning cable.

Further, other commenters are suggesting getting a new phone every year is bad for the environment. Again, if you are throwing your old phone in the trash, sure, but that phone that Apple just gave me $790 for is not going in the trash. That phone is going to get a new battery (which was needed, and the old battery should be recycled because that is cheaper than digging up new lithium out of the ground) and then put into the hands of someone who needs a phone but doesn't want to pay for a brand new one.

If your iPhone 8 still serves you well, good on ya, but at least keep the math within the realm of reality.

Wish it cost that much in the UK. Costs at least double the price to do the same thing you did.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Wish it cost that much in the UK. Costs at least double the price to do the same thing you did.

Indeed, we get rinsed here I no iPhone prices and the deals I hear American posters talk about just don’t exist here. It’s full retail price for eleven and a half months or nothing. It’s probably why the Pro iPhones don’t sell anywhere near as well as the standard versions.

Bodhitree

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands

Costs here on continental Europe are very similar to the uk. For trading in you can go to Apple or to a limited selection of shady trade-in shops, but prices drop to 60% of new after one year. So buying new every year would cost you 40% of the price, a bit less if you were to sell on Ebay.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
Still like the 11 max but the weight is bothersome but iPhone imo are very similar no reason to upgrade unless something big changes and apples or built for that life.

happy orchard

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2020
I clicked on this thread because I’ve enjoyed pretty much all the iPhones I’ve had.

My first was in 2010, and I didn’t know you could love a phone until then. When Siri came out the next time I got a phone, I enjoyed that and the phone’s new shape. When the gold of the 5s came out, I thought how fun. When I got the 6, I called it Fluffy because it was big, light, and white. When I went to a 7+, I enjoyed everything even bigger. Those white bezels were my absolute favorite. Had trouble with the OLED screens started, but I kept trying them because the changing shapes and growing screen sizes were fun to explore. And I’m typing this on an 11 (that I keep going back to after trying OLED) and it still makes me happy.

I’d like to think that all of us here on this site are enjoying our technology in whatever ways we can, and we appreciate that other people may see things differently, but we can still relate to the amazing that we can experience.

My mom died in 2010. She never got to experience typing with two thumbs, ordering books on a phone (from Amazon or the library), taking a photo of whatever because of course you had a camera handy, and she never got to FaceTime with her daughter—and we talked several times a day so I think we both would have loved to see each other’s faces. And the fun we could have had with Memoji.

My point is that it’s extraordinary that we can enjoy any phone all of the ways that we enjoy the phone we have right now. :)

Last edited:

Boyyai

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Manipur
Costs here on continental Europe are very similar to the uk. For trading in you can go to Apple or to a limited selection of shady trade-in shops, but prices drop to 60% of new after one year. So buying new every year would cost you 40% of the price, a bit less if you were to sell on Eb
It’s still extremely well depreciated. In India to trade in your phone through Amazon, your new shiny iPhone 12 won’t fetch more than 250 USD.

Reactions: Barbareren

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Does an iPhone 11 Pro count? Got it at the end of 2019. I’ve been tempted to trade in, but with no crack or major scratch or damage (always have screen protector, back glass protector, and lens protector on, no case), I just feel guilty letting a good phone go

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Does an iPhone 11 Pro count? Got it at the end of 2019. I’ve been tempted to trade in, but with no crack or major scratch or damage (always have screen protector, back glass protector, and lens protector on, no case), I just feel guilty letting a good phone go

I loved my 11 pro. I only upgraded because I wanted ProMotion on my phone, I’ve had it on my iPad since 2018 and loved it. I gave my 11 Pro to my mom and traded in the XS I had given to her. I‘ve been reassessing how I interact with technology and realized I was upgrading all the time because I got sucked into the hype over and over, and I was trying to fill a void. I’m glad I finally realized it because now I’m focused on cultivating relationships and experiences instead of stuff.

reppans

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006
3 year old XR that’s averaged 7-8hrs SoT/day as an only-device, IME it’s not even reached it’s half-life yet. Maybe wait til the iPhone 17, or when the battery can no longer support 8hrs/charge, or when the iOS/apps are no longer supported. I’m not budget constrained, I just find it painful updating technology and put it off - guess I’m getting old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.