Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Do you think that everyone in the world who can afford to buy a Lamborghini buys one? Of course not. Not upgrading your phone to the newest device, when your current device gets the job done, is simply being smart.
I wish there were more like this. One reason for inflation is people buy everything in sight just because they can.

Reactions: MacLappy

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I also still use my 8 plus. Have had it for years and I still have 93% battery health. Lasts all day on one charge and still looks new. I don’t bemoan anyone getting a new phone at all, for me I just love the 8 plus.
Yes if I had to stick with an older iPhone, I would pick 8+. Wish they would make the SE+ already

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
Indeed, we get rinsed here I no iPhone prices and the deals I hear American posters talk about just don’t exist here. It’s full retail price for eleven and a half months or nothing. It’s probably why the Pro iPhones don’t sell anywhere near as well as the standard versions.
It’s the same all over the world dude, except for the U.S. Look at Canadian prices, or worse: look at Mexican prices. And we are all neighbours, and even share a special North American trade agreement called USMCA (The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement) - previously named NAFTA (The North America Free Trade Agreement)…

Anyway, I paid $35k MXN for an iPhone X 256GB with AC+. That’s $1700 USD with the current exchange rate. And I paid around $1200 USD for my 256GB 12 mini without AC+.

No wonder most Mexicans use Androids. The ones who buy new iPhones here are almost always very well off, even compared to international standards. Middle to upper-middle class people I meet either have a fairly new Android or an old(er), usually budget or regular, iPhone. The people I meet who are sporting an iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max are certainly not living from pay-check to pay-check…

Sure there are some carrier plans and credit and trade-ins and such offered here as well, but nothing can even remotely match the deals you get in the U.S. And that especially applies to Apple products.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s the same all over the world dude, except for the U.S. Look at Canadian prices, or worse: look at Mexican prices. And we are all neighbours, and even share a special North American trade agreement called USMCA (The United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement) - previously named NAFTA (The North America Free Trade Agreement)…

Anyway, I paid $35k MXN for an iPhone X 256GB with AC+. That’s $1700 USD with the current exchange rate. And I paid around $1200 USD for my 256GB 12 mini without AC+.

No wonder most Mexicans use Androids. The ones who buy new iPhones here are almost always very well off, even compared to international standards. Middle to upper-middle class people I meet either have a fairly new Android or an old(er), usually budget or regular, iPhone. The people I meet who are sporting an iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max are certainly not living from pay-check to pay-check…

Sure there are some carrier plans and credit and trade-ins and such offered here as well, but nothing can even remotely match the deals you get in the U.S. And that especially applies to Apple products.

Most Europeans use Androids too but the deals carriers offer to users are just more attractive. The standard non-Pro iPhones often cost more here than the Pro models do in the US. I wouldn’t say all those who own the Pro models are particularly wealthy as I know people on minimum wage with them. It’s just some will prioritise a phone over other things. The vast majority of people I work with on good salaries are using older iPhones. There’s lots of XR’s and XS’s still used.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Still using and enjoying my 8 Plus.

Estimated savings over purchasing an equivalent new iPhone every year: $6000 (including cases, accessories, etc.)

Have a friend who is still using a flip phone. Every year he looks at the new iPhones but invests the money he would have spent on a new phone instead. Result: $25,000 invested has now grown to $56,000. Extra benefit: people don't bug him with text messages because they know it's too much of a pain for him to text back. Peace and quiet.

Whenever I think about getting a new phone, I take my 8 Plus out of its case and admire it. Looks like new! Works pretty much like new, as well. Just got a new battery.

How about you? Who's still using an old phone? Which one? And how much have you saved as a result? Added benefits?
There’s more to life that never spending anything and just storing money for the sake of it. You can’t take it with you

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
There’s more to life that never spending anything and just storing money for the sake of it. You can’t take it with you
Everyone has different views on 'money'......🧐
Many people like to save for retirement/unemployment/family etc, nobody knows what's around the corner, where other people spend every penny they have.......and I respect that choice.

I am by no means 'poor' but PERSONALLY my iphone is my least used Apple product (not being on social media and all that). I refuse to pay more than about £400 each time I get a new phone (which is usually 1 or 2 gen behind).
Currently iPhone 7 (as no need for a large screen). Edit: just realised this was released almost 6 years ago......o_O

Sorting old stuff recently, found my 1st gen iPhone, WITH the bag it came in.
Maybe the bag is worth more than the phone......😝

IMG_0144.jpeg

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Phones aren’t everybody’s passion though. Some spend their money on things they enjoy like homes, nice cars and holidays. Having the latest iPhone isn’t always a top priority as iPhones are good for a few years anyway.

Reactions: MarkC426

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Each to their own. Some people like upgrading their PCs with new graphics cards each year, others prefer spending their cash on expensive cars, watches, shoes/clothing, TVs, handbags, jewellery, etc… it depends what you’re into!

Most people here are passionate about phones so a lot of cash gets ploughed into new phones each year by the people on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Each to their own. Some people like upgrading their PCs with new graphics cards each year, others prefer spending their cash on expensive cars, watches, shoes/clothing, TVs, handbags, jewellery, etc… it depends what you’re into!

Most people here are passionate about phones so a lot of cash gets ploughed into new phones each year by the people on this forum.

I still think out of the tens of thousands of members on this forum, those who get a new iPhone every year are in the minority overall. I think they are a vocal minority however.

Away from this forum, come to think of it I don’t know a single person that’s on an annual upgrade scheme. Probably because smartphones have gotten much more expensive and even more so with the state of the economic climate. Spending on the whole is down and likely will be for the foreseeable future.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i used to upgrade my phone every year. sometimes i only had a phone for 6 months before getting bored of it. while i'd always donate, sell, recycle when done with a phone i'm trying to be more responsible by simply not buying a new phone as often. i've had my 12 pro max since launch so almost 2 years. the longest i had a phone was my iPhone 4S (2011-2013). i hope to keep my 12 PM for another 1 or 2 years.

I miss my old blackberry bold 9900, that was a good phone in the day.

i had a bold 9780. great phone.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I also think this approach goes against sustainability and eco-friendly products.
Apple do not need to release a new iPhone/iPad EVERY year, there is too much of a throw a way culture.
I agree with that. 👍

Personally, IMHO, Apple (and all other corporations doing the "sustainability" schpiel) really are talking out both sides of their mouths.

For Apple the bottom line is "But what will Wall Street say!?" 😱

Tim Cook et al can talk sustainability and green all day long. Everyone knows they'd throw it all over for a steadily climbing share price.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Exactly. These iPhones don’t change enough to warrant upgrading every year for me. I’d rather spend that depreciation cost on something much more interesting.
I don’t see the point of upgrading each year either as iOS is the same regardless of which phone you are on. Those who upgraded from the 12 to 13 were met with a device that was 95% identical to the previous one so there was no wow factor. Even when I upgraded my 8 to the 12 Mini, I was excited for around an hour before sorting out my settings then swiftly moved onto something else other than my iPhone.

I’ve since downgraded to the SE1 and there is barely any difference, other than camera image quality, between that and my 12 Mini. I’ll be going back to the 12 Mini in Oct after getting a battery replacement and I intend to keep it for at least another 2 years. What’s the point in updating?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Everyone has different views on 'money'......🧐
Many people like to save for retirement/unemployment/family etc, nobody knows what's around the corner, where other people spend every penny they have.......and I respect that choice.

I am by no means 'poor' but PERSONALLY my iphone is my least used Apple product (not being on social media and all that). I refuse to pay more than about £400 each time I get a new phone (which is usually 1 or 2 gen behind).
Currently iPhone 7 (as no need for a large screen). Edit: just realised this was released almost 6 years ago......o_O

Sorting old stuff recently, found my 1st gen iPhone, WITH the bag it came in.
Maybe the bag is worth more than the phone......😝

View attachment 2036673
I am the reverse. I love iPhone, but have never been into tablets, and don't use Watch much. I probably would never get another Watch unless it gpt something revolutionary like non invasive glucose monitoring. And MacBooks are too expensive, so I stick with my PC laptops

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010

Thank you. The iPhone is the one thing I spend substantial money on, and the carrier trade in deals are insane. I don't tell others ot to do their hobbies.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Thank you. The iPhone is the one thing I spend substantial money on, and the carrier trade in deals are insane. I don't tell others ot to do their hobbies.
I upgrade every 2-3 years but I won’t criticise anyone for upgrading sooner than that. I have friends who spend thousands of dollars each year travelling to watch their sports teams play and I don’t criticise them. I think it’s a waste of money but that’s only my opinion, and my opinion doesn’t mean much to others with differing views.

I personally like to keep a reasonably up-to-date laptop, home console (PS5), tablet (iPad Mini 5) and phone (12 Mini), so I cannot justify upgrading all of them each year. I usually make one big purchase and rotate each year if needs be. In 2020 I picked up the iPad Mini 5 and 12 Mini, in 2021 I bought the PS5 and in 2022, I have yet to decide… perhaps a new MacBook Air M2 is in order 😁.

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I have no appreciation for old phones that are slower and less competent than newer phones. That said my Note 10+ has aged quite well vs. the newer iterations. I can't imagine going further back than that however. If you have the means then it is definitely worthwhile to upgrade. Interested in the rumored new iphone 14 screens.

Locke Cole

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2019
Southern Ontario
I also still use my 8 plus. Have had it for years and I still have 93% battery health. Lasts all day on one charge and still looks new. I don’t bemoan anyone getting a new phone at all, for me I just love the 8 plus.
My 8+ is still going strong and still looks new as well. In my case, I've had it for about 3 years and battery health is at 91%. And I don't bemoan anyone getting a new phone either as ultimately, it's their choice and money.
Unless (like me) you prefer an LCD screen, 16:9 aspect ratio, Touch ID, home button instead of constant swiping, and Control Center at bottom rather than the top “ear” of a big ol’ notch.
Hahah I too prefer all of those!

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
If you don’t mind being “stuck“ to your wireless provider you can trade in every few years for almost no cost. Just new cases, screen protector, AC+ if wanted. For a while now Verizon has offered to give full $800 trade in credit on my old phone with 2 years of bill credits. After 2 years I do it again, over and over again. I have no plans on leaving my carrier as they have the best coverage in my area, so if they want to pay for me to nearly always have a new phone I have no problem doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.