Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
Still hanging on to my 12" here. I have one backup one (but that one is only 8 GB of Ram). It's definitely starting to feel slow, but it is still the best MacBook ever in my opinion. I would literally buy almost any 12" MAcook they put out (high end, or low end education focused one) as long as it ran Mac OS. Almost any modern computer would be faster than my 12" but that size is just so convenient.

If they don't bring out a new one, at some point I will make a jump to a 13" Air, but I'll hold out as long as I can.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Given these performance numbers, in terms of performance for a new 12" MacBook, I'd be very happy with an Apple A17 Pro at ~2970/7500. The screen resolution wouldn't be a problem since it's roughly the same size as a 10.9" iPad.

Thing is, the A17 won't do things that macOS requires like virtual memory. The M4 will fit anyway, there's just an awful lot of overlap between 11/13" iPads (pro and air) and 13" MacBook Air and a proposed 12" MacBook.

That segment of Apple's lineup is already super crowded. I already use the iPad Air for 99% of what I'd use a hypothetical 12" MacBook for.

Reactions: Tagbert

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Thing is, the A17 won't do things that macOS requires like virtual memory.
This is a hardware limitation and not an OS restriction? Apple just says that M1 is needed for smooth performance. However, that was several years ago, and A chips are getting faster. A18 will approach M1 speeds, and A19 will surpass it.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure, but on the iPad apple limit virtual memory to the M series parts.

Whether its a hardware issue or software locked issue, you're running Apple software on it so you get what they give...
Yeah I realize that and I'm getting an iPad Pro M4 anyway.

However, I edited my post as you were posting yours to say that Apple just said M1 was needed for smooth performance, not that it required specific logic only on M series chips. However, the coming A18 will be almost as fast as M1, and A19 in 2025 will be faster, at least in synthetic benchmarks.

While I don't expect an A series MacBook, I'm just saying the speed is more than sufficient for it. BTW, before the M series Macs launched, I predicted the MacBook Pro would use A14X (aka M1), whereas the MacBook Air could use A14, just because the A14 was fast enough (virtual memory swap notwithstanding). Even now in 2024, the A14 in my iPhone 12 Pro Max is actually faster than every computer in active use in my house* except for my M1 Mac mini.

*We are using:
2020 Mac mini M1
2017 iMac Core i5-7600
2017 MacBook Air Core i5-5350U
2017 MacBook Core m3-7Y32
2015 MacBook Pro Core i5-5257U

Reactions: throAU

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
While I don't expect an A series MacBook, I'm just saying the speed is more than sufficient for it.

Oh for sure.

The A series parts have been fast enough as a low end laptop (even mid-range) for YEARS at this point.

My 10.5" iPad Pro (A10X Fusion) was regularly outperforming the laptops I was using at basically any task I threw at it (that it could run within the OS restrictions) back in 2018(?).

The speed is certainly there! I was literally using that device for Zoom calls, teams, etc. in preference to my intel MacBook Air to get away from the fan noise, heat, etc.

Reactions: Chuckeee and EugW

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Oh for sure.

The A series parts have been fast enough as a low end laptop (even mid-range) for YEARS at this point.

My 10.5" iPad Pro (A10X Fusion) was regularly outperforming the laptops I was using at basically any task I threw at it (that it could run within the OS restrictions) back in 2018(?).

The speed is certainly there! I was literally using that device for Zoom calls, teams, etc. in preference to my intel MacBook Air to get away from the fan noise, heat, etc.
Yup. I just gave my son my iPad Pro 10.5" not because I thought it was too slow for me, but because he needed to replace his iPad Air 2 (A8X, 2 GB RAM).

BTW, that reminds me. I'm due for an iPhone upgrade this year, from my iPhone 12 Pro Max to an iPhone 16 Pro Max. However, CPU performance-wise, there is no issue with it at all (and as mentioned it's faster than all our laptops in the house), and the 6 GB RAM in it is still more than fine for a phone. I don't actually need to replace it, and about the only thing I'd want is the new camera with super telephoto lens.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I hope they announce that iPad Pros can run MacOS when plugged into the Magic Keyboard at WWDC this year and the 11" iPad Pro is the new 12" MacBook.

Truly made for the remote workplace lifestyle with a Mac that runs on 5G connection.

• Love
Reactions: jido and Populus

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I hope they announce that iPad Pros can run MacOS when plugged into the Magic Keyboard at WWDC this year and the 11" iPad Pro is the new 12" MacBook.

Truly made for the remote workplace lifestyle with a Mac that runs on 5G connection.

Whilst I'd love this, I'd be happy with the ability to run macOS apps in a similar way to macOS running iPadOS apps on Apple silicon. I think this is likely feasible without too much effort on Apple's part, at least for apps that were written to play nicely with the modern OS frameworks.

Don't even need to go full macOS for me to be happy enough to switch the laptop + iPad out for an iPad Pro, run a Mac Desktop for the heavy lifting if needed.

Reactions: jido and Populus

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I mean with this amazing chips, which are 4 gens in it would be really good time to put it on.

Maybe Apple thinks there's no space in the lineup for the 12" since most people will go for the 13" and the iPad Air...

Heck, needless to say they might think the iPad Air 12.9" is the new 12" lol

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Thing is, the A17 won't do things that macOS requires like virtual memory.
Are you saying the A-line of chips don't have a fully functional MMU? I don't believe that for a second. The MMU is used even if you aren't paging to disk. And the developer kit ran macOS on an A12Z.

Reactions: EugW

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Apple just says that M1 is needed for smooth performance.
In my opinion that's to push people to newer iPads. The only technical reason would be the M1 iPads being the first with 8GB RAM. Perhaps Apple thinks that amount is necessary to not start thrashing.

Edit: Other threads have mentioned the size of the storage like swapping with only 64GB of SSD in your base iPad wouldn't be a good idea.
However, that was several years ago, and A chips are getting faster. A18 will approach M1 speeds, and A19 will surpass it.
Why would faster multi-threaded performance be relevant to allowing virtual memory?

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
In my opinion that's to push people to newer iPads. The only technical reason would be the M1 iPads being the first with 8GB RAM. Perhaps Apple thinks that amount is necessary to not start thrashing.

Why would faster multi-threaded performance be relevant to allowing virtual memory?
No idea. I don’t buy it either but I’m just saying that in 2024, that no longer applies anyway, since A series is about as fast the original 2020 M1.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
How has this devolved into a a delicate spec comparison between a binned and non-binned version of a chip whice half of us thought wouldn't exist when I wrote this post

• Haha
Reactions: throAU

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
After seeing the latest iPad Pro and Air reviews, it does seem that Apple is selling the new iPad products as a 12-inch MacBook. A lot of expectations are building up. Let's see what Apple has to offer at WWDC. If iPadOS 18 still comes out as a lukewarm system, I will get a M3 MBA.

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
After seeing the latest iPad Pro and Air reviews, it does seem that Apple is selling the new iPad products as a 12-inch MacBook. A lot of expectations are building up. Let's see what Apple has to offer at WWDC. If iPadOS 18 still comes out as a lukewarm system, I will get a M3 MBA.
I honestly thought apple would not cannibalize even failed products unless there is a clear successor, but now it's otherwise

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I have a 12“ MacBook 2015 maxed out and I have MacOS Sonoma on it via OLTP.
And you rights. It was a failed product. But you know why: Intel
Intel Department of making chips cool and powerful and testing heat
skynews-fire-firefighter-blaze_6465868.jpg

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Would suggest you wait for the M4 mba

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Was in this same exact place a year ago. I chose the base model M2A on sale at BBY for $900. At times I wish I'd gone with 16GB of RAM but that's when I'm comparing it to my M1M Studio. If I remind myself that I chose the M2A over an iPad/keyboard I know I made the right choice. A base Air is so much more powerful and flexible than the iPad.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I suppose I've been saying this the last couple years. I'd like to use the iPad again as my only computer, but it really depends on what we see at WWDC. I was so disappointed last year that it seemed like iPadOS was pretty much going no where, I sold my M1 iPP and bought a M2 MacBook Air. Most of me is very happy with the switch, but there's parts of me still missing using the iPad after nearly a year.

Was in this same exact place a year ago. I chose the base model M2A on sale at BBY for $900. At times I wish I'd gone with 16GB of RAM but that's when I'm comparing it to my M1M Studio. If I remind myself that I chose the M2A over an iPad/keyboard I know I made the right choice. A base Air is so much more powerful and flexible than the iPad.
Agreed. Though, I'm pretty happy with my baseline M2 MBA. I'll probably never fill its storage. I think I ended up paying around $800 before taxes for it last year - it was on sale at Best Buy, plus an open box excellent condition. My old 12.9" iPP was much more portable in a way, as I think it was the perfect size - which is why I'm having a little bit of iPad M4 FOMO. But, 90% of the time, it's used at my desk anyway. I'd occasionally pull out my partner's iPad and quickly reminded that my MacBook can do so much more - even just simple things like third party apps allowing me to adjust my external monitor's brightness/sound, or dragging a window to the edge of the screen to resize it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.