Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deevey

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2004
Apple: I want small compuper (reference to a game)
iPad hardware team: here's the 12.9 and 11 ipad pro, perfect mini computer, put macOS on it!
Apple: yeah no
Pretty much...

I like my kit as portable as possible. But the trend is bigger.

I love my iPhone Mini and will hold onto it for as long as possible, but I'm stuck using the 13" M1 as my portable.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
One needs only about 30 seconds with a current 13" MacBook Air to conclude that no 12" MacBook should ever exist again. The Air is light, highly portable, large enough to actually be usable (for some), lasts forever, highly performant, with decent I/O for its size. And the price isn't bad either.

The last thing Apple needs is MORE tiers in their product lines. There are too many already. The current MacBook line is the only one even slightly organized (2 consumer models, 2 pro models....ish). Please don't advocate for mucking that up.
One thing you're right about - The portability and lightness of the Air is great! - and isn't in question. In fact, the height/thickness is perfect. Just lop off the sides to be the width of the 12" macbook, shrink the screen and trackpad (and bezel) to fit the 16:10 aspect ratio and you're done.

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
I am definitely looking forward to a 12 inch macbook with the M chip. In fact, it is the only apple product that I would like to buy in recent years. Having been an intense apple product user since 2004, I have had the 12 inch iBook and the 12 inch PowerBook, which I absolutely loved using. A new 12 inch macbook with apple silicon would make it ultra portable and easy to carry around just like carrying a document. Consider taking it with you twice a day, 365 days a year, and for 5-10 years, the cumulative weight savings and ease is nothing that the 13 inch MBA can compare. Too sad that after Steve Apple has lost its innovative soul and turned into a money-making machine.

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Me too. I factory reset my MB12 M3 last week and did all the updates. It’s been on the shelf for 2 years but I recently gave my MBAir M2 to my wife and just wanted a small laptop for Safari and Mail. It’s working great.

I would purchase and updated version with AS M3 the second they are released. I hope it happens.

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
Apple has now completed the reshuffle of the iPad lineup, with two iPad air (11 & 13), two iPad Pro (11 & 13), an iPad mini, and a basic iPad as the base model.

In comparison, the MacBook lineup has two MacBook Air (13 & 15) and two MacBook Pro (14 & 16). Now it makes a lot of sense to have a basic MacBook model. Otherwise the entire MacBook lineup would be baseless if there are only "Airs" and "Pros".

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Apple has now completed the reshuffle of the iPad lineup, with two iPad air (11 & 13), two iPad Pro (11 & 13), an iPad mini, and a basic iPad as the base model.

In comparison, the MacBook lineup has two MacBook Air (13 & 15) and two MacBook Pro (14 & 16). Now it makes a lot of sense to have a basic MacBook model. Otherwise the entire MacBook lineup would be baseless if there are only "Airs" and "Pros".

I think the basic MacBook segment is reasonably well covered by an iPad Air and a keyboard.

It will do all the basic end user stuff in a more secure manner and even edit video, etc.

If you want more than that, the MacBook Air 13" is still reasonably cheap.

I just don't see the room for another MacBook in the lineup, outside of just carrying an older model air like they did with the m1. You're not going to be making a lot of money on a marginally cheaper non-air MacBook to justify the development, especially when the iPads exist.

Besides, what cpu are they going to put in it? It costs apple money to maintain multiple processor lines...

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Me too. I factory reset my MB12 M3 last week and did all the updates. It’s been on the shelf for 2 years but I recently gave my MBAir M2 to my wife and just wanted a small laptop for Safari and Mail. It’s working great.

I would purchase and updated version with AS M3 the second they are released. I hope it happens.
I have around 3 family members still clinging to their MB12 with the Intel i7s, until Apple releases a 12". The iPad just doesn't cut it as well for these people.

2 of them are Business Directors and the other one is a programmer who loves to be on the go and just go around beach places coding.

It's a hell of a device, but honestly when Apple Silicon was announced I was really expecting them to do a 12" with their own chips so they could make a sucessor to the 12" they ditched because of the chips and the butterfly keyboard.

Reactions: mk313

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Apple: I want small compuper (reference to a game)
iPad hardware team: here's the 12.9 and 11 ipad pro, perfect mini computer, put macOS on it!
Apple: yeah no
Yeah I own an M1 iPad Pro and if it had macOS when docked to keyboard/mouse I would be more than happy with it at this stage tbh

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024
Yeah I own an M1 iPad Pro and if it had macOS when docked to keyboard/mouse I would be more than happy with it at this stage tbh
Exactly. The perfect form factor now is the 11.9-inch iPad pro, and with Mac OS it will be perfect. I would LOVE to stroll into a cafe with a book and my iPad Pro in my hand to do some proper work, without the hassle of bringing along a bag, a charger, and other accessories...

However, Tim Cook has constrained the potential of iPad to become a device to replace the laptop, just as Mark Gurman has criticized in his latest newsletter (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...ld-turn-ipad-into-laptop-replacement-lvtj00n9). As a result, we are stuck with the choice of waiting for the 12-inch MacBook, while bringing along an iPad Pro, instead of using ONE device to fulfill multiple functions... Apple has returned to a maximalist approach just like the pre-1997 era where there are a variety of products but none of them kills.

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
Exactly. The perfect form factor now is the 11.9-inch iPad pro, and with Mac OS it will be perfect. I would LOVE to stroll into a cafe with a book and my iPad Pro in my hand to do some proper work, without the hassle of bringing along a bag, a charger, and other accessories...

However, Tim Cook has constrained the potential of iPad to become a device to replace the laptop, just as Mark Gurman has criticized in his latest newsletter (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...ld-turn-ipad-into-laptop-replacement-lvtj00n9). As a result, we are stuck with the choice of waiting for the 12-inch MacBook, while bringing along an iPad Pro, instead of using ONE device to fulfill multiple functions... Apple has returned to a maximalist approach just like the pre-1997 era where there are a variety of products but none of them kills.
That’s pretty much it, at this point if they don’t change the iPad in the next 12/24 months I’ll just a MacBook Air redesign tbh.

No point in upgrading my M1 Pro. Heck, I bought this thing in the first place because I thought they were heading this direction

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden

It makes more sense if Apple released a 11-12" MacBook today.
The present 13" is too big and heavy to be a portable on the go. it's a good portable at home, but I wouldn't walk around with mine in a backsack, no way!
I would replace my 13,6" to anything smaller running macOS in a heartbeat if they release it.

Reactions: Chuckeee and xunx

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Apple surely have sales numbers and the 12-inch MacBook just wasn't selling well enough apparently. It was also more expensive than the 13.3-inch MacBook Air, while not being considerably smaller.

All I see is a small vocal minority clamouring for this specific model. I've never seen one in the wild personally 😅

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yes, this would be my ideal device, to the extent that I would be willing to pay the price for the 1TB iPad Pro with the 10 core CPU M4 and 16GB of RAM. So this WWDC I’ll be especially excited just for the upcoming iPad software. As well as the new design, the AI stuff, new Siri…

It is gonna be a great WWDC.

By the way, I would ABSOLUTELY love a 12” MacBook with an M4 SoC, but I’m afraid this product has been forgotten by Apple. And if the new iPad Pro gets new desktop-class UI when docked, it is even less likely we see this great computer again. Sadly.

Reactions: LaterWolf

LaterWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2022
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Yes, this would be my ideal device, to the extent that I would be willing to pay the price for the 1TB iPad Pro with the 10 core CPU M4 and 16GB of RAM. So this WWDC I’ll be especially excited just for the upcoming iPad software. As well as the new design, the AI stuff, new Siri…

By the way, I would ABSOLUTELY love a 12” MacBook with an M4 SoC, but I’m afraid this product has been forgotten by Apple. And if the new iPad Pro gets new desktop-class UI when docked, it is even less likely we see this great computer again. Sadly.
Hopes down please, it has been rumored for years.

Reactions: Populus

xunx

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2024

Fingers crossed...

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain

It’s like I have been saying for ages, there’s a lot of people I know that still rock the old 12” and still haven’t upgraded since it’s one of the few laptops that fit in a large woman purse when compared to 13/14” devices.

My use case is more to carry something with me under my arm on the go and easy to use when in a coffee shop or something.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
It’s like I have been saying for ages, there’s a lot of people I know that still rock the old 12” and still haven’t upgraded since it’s one of the few laptops that fit in a large woman purse when compared to 13/14” devices.

My use case is more to carry something with me under my arm on the go and easy to use when in a coffee shop or something.
I don't carry a purse, but I put my 2017 12" m3 in my small carry-on pack (man purse? :)) for travelling. The MacBook 12" is actually small enough to fit vertically underneath the seat in front.

However, it's feeling laggy now, especially on first startup when everything is loading and Photos is syncing, etc. In contrast, my iMac Core i5-7600 feels perfectly fine.

Geekbench 6.3:
m3-7Y32 ~1000/1900
i5-7600 ~ 1400/4140
M4 9-core ~3800/13060

Given these performance numbers, in terms of performance for a new 12" MacBook, I'd be very happy with an Apple A17 Pro at ~2970/7500. The screen resolution wouldn't be a problem since it's roughly the same size as a 10.9" iPad.

Reactions: Chuckeee

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Geekbench 6.3:
m3-7Y32 ~1000/1900
i5-7600 ~ 1400/4140
M4 9-core ~3800/13060

Given these performance numbers, in terms of performance for a new 12" MacBook, I'd be very happy with an Apple A17 Pro at ~2970/7500. The screen resolution wouldn't be a problem since it's roughly the same size as a 10.9" iPad.

Do we already know the benchmarks of the 9 core M4? It only drops like 1400 in multi-core? Then I don’t think the binned M4 is a big deal…

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Do we already know the benchmarks of the 9 core M4? It only drops like 1400 in multi-core? Then I don’t think the binned M4 is a big deal…
There is only one M4 9-core bench so far. It shows 3 performance cores and 8 GB RAM in the listing. The single-core score wasn't as high, so for my post above I took the 3800 score from the other benches. However, the multi-core score is direct from the bench:

Note that the OS version is 17.6, so I'm guessing this may be a leak from Apple.

The highest 10-core multi-core score so far is 14924, so this represents a drop of 1864, meaning the 10-core is 14% faster than the 9-core.

• Love
Reactions: Populus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.