Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
From what's come out, it seems that there may not be a series 5 watch this year.

Apparently only 4 new models were registered, which supposedly correspond with the 40 and 44 mm versions of the titanium and ceramic finish watches.

Rumours suggest that this might mean that these will be additions to Series 4.

What do you guys think about this? This would be the first year they've skipped an update. Interesting that they'd do this with the watch, but not the iPhone this year. Supposedly the iPad pro is also being updated, and the general sentiment seems to be that neither the iPhone nor iPad pro need minor updates.

pcorrado

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2008
Chicago, IL
From what's come out, it seems that there may not be a series 5 watch this year.

Apparently only 4 new models were registered, which supposedly correspond with the 40 and 44 mm versions of the titanium and ceramic finish watches.

Rumours suggest that this might mean that these will be additions to Series 4.

What do you guys think about this? This would be the first year they've skipped an update. Interesting that they'd do this with the watch, but not the iPhone this year. Supposedly the iPad pro is also being updated, and the general sentiment seems to be that neither the iPhone nor iPad pro need minor updates.

There’s only four models now - 44mm LTE, 40mm LTE, 44mm GPS and 40mm GPS.

For Series 4 at least, Apple doesn’t differentiate case styles/colors with different mode numbers.

The registered model numbers are consistent with a new model (Series 5). I am going to guess it is an incremental upgrade - given lack of leaks. We will know more soon.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
There are many rumors around about the series 5. As well as the new cases , I think it will have a processor update and additional battery life and possible QI charging capability. I can’t see Apple announcing at the keynote an update on additional case options and leaving it at just that. That would be nothing but a dumb squid

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I'd like to see Apple go to a 2-3 year refresh with the Watch. They are already (IMO) years ahead of the competition and by all accounts the Series 4 is selling very well.

Would I like a longer battery and slightly faster? I wouldn't complain, but I don't have a problem with either. I think Apple adds new case materials, maybe a price drop on the aluminum watches and that is the 2019 Watch presentation.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
There are many rumors around about the series 5. As well as the new cases , I think it will have a processor update and additional battery life and possible QI charging capability. I can’t see Apple announcing at the keynote an update on additional case options and leaving it at just that. That would be nothing but a dumb squid

they did this during 2015 I believe when they announced rose gold and gold aluminum casing as well as the Hermes partnership.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but there were no other improvements?

AJ44

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2019
I would be shocked if Apple ever moved away from the yearly upgrade of the Watch, they can always put out even minor performance improvements and that will move some level of units in a year where the physical design doesn't change.

Don't have numbers on it but Apple seems to have a lot of people that upgrade yearly, I'm one of them. If they come out with just a ceramic Apple Watch 4 I won't buy it, however if it has modest internal improvements I will.

Reactions: Mikeyde1989

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You can guarantee the Series 5 is coming. I originally questioned it once myself, but the wearables market has a strong growth right now for Apple, It would be absolutely silly of them not to have a Series 5 release right before the holidays.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Hope so. I’m planning to upgrade from my trusty daily driver S0 that i’ve Used the past 4 years.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So you think the Apple Watch design team just sat there for an entire year and only submitted a change to the casing material?

Wearables are Apple’s fastest growing segment. Anyone with any business sense will be launching Series 5 this year. This is a segment that Apple created and they intend to rake in the profits.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I'd like to see Apple go to a 2-3 year refresh with the Watch. They are already (IMO) years ahead of the competition and by all accounts the Series 4 is selling very well.

Would I like a longer battery and slightly faster? I wouldn't complain, but I don't have a problem with either. I think Apple adds new case materials, maybe a price drop on the aluminum watches and that is the 2019 Watch presentation.
I honestly can't think of a single reason why a 2-3 year(eternity in this field) cycle would be preferable.

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden

3 years lol? I’d love it to be thinner, faster and smaller bezels. Why should I have to wait 3 years between every update if I’m willing to pay for a new model every year?

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
I think there will be a series 5, but its going to be minor updates in addition to the ceramic and titanium. My guess is that an improved processor (which won't be really noticeable), improved battery life, and Qi charging, maybe an improved speaker. Qi charging would seem the most logical thing to add here.

We already know there is no change in the casing size so anything added here is going to be minor.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
I think there will be a series 5, but its going to be minor updates in addition to the ceramic and titanium. My guess is that an improved processor (which won't be really noticeable), improved battery life, and Qi charging, maybe an improved speaker. Qi charging would seem the most logical thing to add here.

We already know there is no change in the casing size so anything added here is going to be minor.
Yeah I think you’re right on all counts. I think QI charging would be a real plus because if you can charge your watch from the iPhone 11 as well as AirPods and use a standard charging mat as well, that makes it a very attractive proposition.
I would definitely go for the new phone and watch if that was available especially if they bring the ceramic watch back in white. I loved my white Series 3

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I would be shocked if Apple ever moved away from the yearly upgrade of the Watch, they can always put out even minor performance improvements and that will move some level of units in a year where the physical design doesn't change.

Don't have numbers on it but Apple seems to have a lot of people that upgrade yearly, I'm one of them. If they come out with just a ceramic Apple Watch 4 I won't buy it, however if it has modest internal improvements I will.
The ceramic Apple Watch will probably run $1,299. I upgrade every year and rotate from the Hermes and Ceramic. I think the typical yearly upgrades won’t spend anywhere near that kind of money though.
3 years lol? I’d love it to be thinner, faster and smaller bezels. Why should I have to wait 3 years between every update if I’m willing to pay for a new model every year?

I’m thinking of it more like a watch. I don’t want a thin watch but that’s me. I also wish they offered higher end materials for the Hermes version. I wish they sold it more like a time piece, but I realize that’s probably not going to happen lol.

I don’t know what you use your watch for, but I think it’s very fast. I never use Siri so maybe that’s where faster could come into play. Id prefer longer battery than a faster chip. Of course faster over time, but I’d settle for 18 months instead of a refresh that adds nothing.

I’m more disappointed in Watch os6. Just not a lot there that excites me.

rosegoldoli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2019
I know they have added a red color iphone in the middle of a cycle before. I am not sure about their history with re-releasing the same item in a new shell.

i mentioned this before, i believe in fall 2015 the only update was rose gold and gold casing in aluminum

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Original watch was 2015
Series 2 and Series 1 was 2016
Series 3, 2017
Series 4, 2018

The watch is not yet a mature enough technology to go to a 2-year upgrade cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.