Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I got the Series 4 Space Gray Aluminum from last year - but the aluminum did not hold up as well as I thought it would. Also the constant fear of scratching the Ion-X display is enough for me to go back to Stainless with the Sapphire Display.
Do you have a very physical job where the watch is often exposed to bangs and rough surfaces?

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Why do you think the Titanium would be more than the ceramic? The Ceramic would be harder to produce it would seem. Maybe because it's "new"?

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
Do you have a very physical job where the watch is often exposed to bangs and rough surfaces?

No I have an office job. Somehow scuffed the lower left of the watch - see picture. I don't remember how this happened, it was just there one day.

watch.jpg

I have had the Series 0 and Series 2 Stainless Steel watches and yes they had fine scratches but they could be buffed out vs a scuff/scratch.

Also the Saphire display really takes the nerves out of wearing the watch without a screen protector.

Dstopsie

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
Apple will definitely be releasing a Series 5 - even if its just a slight spec bump. There where rumors that they are going to continue selling the Series 3 and discontinuing the Series 4, which would fall in line with what they did when the Series 3 was launched.

My guess is we will see a Series 5 with improved battery and speed boost. It will also launch with Titanium and Ceramic models. Hopefully Apple will launch Stainless Steel models without Cellular this year!

Here is what I think starting pricing will be like this year. Add $100 for Cellular models except the Titanium and Ceramic models which will probably only come with GPS and Cellular.

38mm Aluminium Series 3 - $199
42mm Aluminium Series 3 - $249

40mm Aluminium Series 5 - $399
44mm Aluminium Series 5 - $429

40mm Stainless Series 5 - $599
44mm Stainless Series 5 - $649

40mm Ceramic Series 5 Edition - $1199 GPS + Cellular Only
44mm Ceramic Series 5 Edition - $1249 GPS + Cellular Only

40mm Titanium Series 5 Edition - $1499 GPS + Cellular Only
44mm Titanium Series 5 Edition - $1549 GPS + Cellular Only
[doublepost=1568065705][/doublepost]You forgot about the Hermès edition watches in your pricing above.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Why do you think the Titanium would be more than the ceramic? The Ceramic would be harder to produce it would seem. Maybe because it's "new"?

I think titanium would be less costly. It’s a not a rarity for a metal, Plus, ceramic is more rare in terms for watch materials. The biggest advantage to the titanium, it’s lighter, where the ceramic offers more durability, but weighs nearly as much as the stainless model. Different trade offs for both materials.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
No I have an office job. Somehow scuffed the lower left of the watch - see picture. I don't remember how this happened, it was just there one day.

View attachment 856875

I have had the Series 0 and Series 2 Stainless Steel watches and yes they had fine scratches but they could be buffed out vs a scuff/scratch.

Also the Saphire display really takes the nerves out of wearing the watch without a screen protector.
So it’s nothing to do with an inferior product at all, just your fault you’ve bashed it. My 3 year old S2 has no damage like that and I’ve really used my watch. It’s all well saying the stainless steel with the sapphire glass holds up better but it’s double the price and ultimately becomes a paperweight after 3 or 4 years anyway. You have to get what you want, but there is nothing wrong with the aluminium watches at all.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
And where did you get that info from?

7.43 He mentions a lack of processor upgrade

The paragraph reads "In a shocking new report, two major features that were expected for the iPhone 11 are allegedly not coming after all. Plus, the Apple Watch Series 5 apparently won't be getting even a faster processor this year. One more thing may be our only hope for an exciting Apple event in less than 24 hours..."

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
The paragraph reads "In a shocking new report, two major features that were expected for the iPhone 11 are allegedly not coming after all. Plus, the Apple Watch Series 5 apparently won't be getting even a faster processor this year. One more thing may be our only hope for an exciting Apple event in less than 24 hours..."

Do you really think there won’t be a new health sensor at least? I could care less for sleep tracking but a blood pressure sensor would be a big deal

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
So no reason to sell the series 4 this year? (SS 44mm)
Well unless the rumours are wrong and they announce a few enhancements then i will stay with my 44mm SSSB which is a shame because i really loved my S3 ceramic and was hopeful of upgrading this year. But i won't change to another S4 just for a new case. Still everything is rumours though and we will know for sure in just over 6 hours.

FrankySavvy

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
So it’s nothing to do with an inferior product at all, just your fault you’ve bashed it. My 3 year old S2 has no damage like that and I’ve really used my watch. It’s all well saying the stainless steel with the sapphire glass holds up better but it’s double the price and ultimately becomes a paperweight after 3 or 4 years anyway. You have to get what you want, but there is nothing wrong with the aluminium watches at all.

Aluminum is softer than Stainless Steel, not saying it was the Watch that caused the bash, but that Aluminum is softer than Stainless Steel.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Aluminum is softer than Stainless Steel, not saying it was the Watch that caused the bash, but that Aluminum is softer than Stainless Steel.
I am more than familiar with the mechanical properties of each material. The aluminium AW is made from 7000 series alloy. Commercial structural grade aluminium is 6082. The aluminium Apple Watch casing should have a surface hardness more than adequate for general everyday use give it take a significant bash here and there IMO. Unless Apple are not being entirely truthful with the material grades they are using?

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I am more than familiar with the mechanical properties of each material. The aluminium AW is made from 7000 series alloy. Commercial structural grade aluminium is 6082. The aluminium Apple Watch casing should have a surface hardness more than adequate for general everyday use give it take a significant bash here and there IMO. Unless Apple are not being entirely truthful with the material grades they are using?

Have you seen the YouTube presentations questioning the purity of the Stainless models? Apparently, on the molecular level, the Apple Stainless Steel has more impurities, along with the "Sapphire" glass. Not saying they're true, but they do make interesting points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.