Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I love those posts but they're definitely "what would I want if I could capture Cook in a basement and demand things to make me pleased" rather than "what would I do if I had Cook's job and angry shareholders demanding more money every month".

Lower iPhone base storage to 8 GB, remove any upgradability from all machines sold, remove all slots from 12" Macbook, can the Air, bump prices of everything by $100 because Apple, make sure Jony's team is working hard on flattening every remaining bit of Mac OS, look for even slower and cheaper drives for iMacs, add rose gold options to every remaining product. Oh, and get Hermes, Victoria Beckham, Kanye West and Paris Hilton to re-design iMac Special Editions (starting at $9,999 with 1 TB 5400rpm drive and non-expandable 4 GB of RAM).

Edit: I forgot "iPhone 7: Revolutionary. The thinnest iPhone since our previous iPhone. Now with two protruding cameras!"

Lower your expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised when Macbook gets a 20% speed bump.

reza87

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2016
Oh, and get Hermes, Victoria Beckham, Kanye West and Paris Hilton to re-design iMac Special Editions (starting at $9,999 with 1 TB 5400rpm drive and non-expandable 4 GB of RAM).

That's interesting, never considered guest designers for Apple. I guess I always considered Ives to be the only celebrity we needed haha. Thinking back though, there was the U2 iPod. Just wondering what motivated you to include Paris Hilton in that list? I'm not sure if the version of me in the alternate universe where I run Apple would choose guest designers but if I did, I feel as though Taylor Swift may be a more compelling choice under the circumstances, don't you think? +1 for lowering iPhone base storage, especially for emerging markets in Asia and Africa.

Reactions: MrNikeFresh808

kimtrang

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2016
I licence OS X and iOS to other manufacturers, make a substantial price cut to a one capacity iPhone, simplify the Mac range and re-introduce the white unibody Macbook, slightly upgraded internally, as a sub $400 machine.

Reactions: mojolicious

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Macbook gets a 20% speed bump
I predicted future!!! ;)

Now with this accolade I'm going to actually bite at the topic...

1. Clean up the line-ups of everything.
iPhone SE -> iPhone 6s Mini
Macbook Air -> bye
Macbook -> two USB-C slots with a FREE adapter allowing to connect headphones, add 14" version with microSD slot, change the keyboard back to usable even if it means it has to be a while milimeter thicker and Ive throws a crying fit. Either drop the price to $999 (offer the 2015 model for $999) or keep Macbook Air 11" with added retina screen and call it Macbook Mini
Macbook Pro -> for the love of all that is good and pure do not make it throttle for sake of it being thinner
iPad Mini 2 -> bye
iPad Air 2 -> bye
iPad Mini 4 -> iPad Mini
iPad Pro 9.7" -> iPad

Differentiate models with year they were introduced – i.e. iPad Pro (2016) – rather than "SE" or "6s+". I'm pretty sure a non-techy customer will understand "iPhone (2016)" better than "iPhone 6s".

2. Update the damn Mac Pro, Apple display and fix the mess that Mac Mini has become. Offer the Mac Pro in rose gold if necessary but first update its internals.

3. Fix Apple Music – make it your number one priority – kick Spotify et al. to the curb by delivering flawless service instead of getting Taylor Swift for ads while I can't correctly sync my local library with my phone. Become the biggest in the business because you're the best, not because everybody's phone keeps on nagging people to "upgrade to Apple Music". See also: iTunes. By the way, hi Eddy, here's a carton box, I want you gone before the end of the day. Offer Apple Music 2 to beta-testers at no charge so when it's released into the wild it actually works 100% correct. Offer FaceTime and iMessages on Android/Windows machines. The fact that FaceTime is Apple only actually doesn't make people go and buy an iMac, it makes them use alternative software that works everywhere.

4. Split iOS into phone and iPad versions, this is ridiculous:

5. I'm not saying "fire Ive" but this should have never been approved:

iphone-6-plus-studio-back-camera2-1500x1000.jpg

If the camera needs to be thicker than the rest of the phone/iPad make the bloody devices 1 mm thicker and add extra battery life. As the Apple CEO I'm going to throw fits Jobs-style when someone shows me a mock-up with protruding camera and antenna lines that are nowhere near the colour of the actual iPhone.

Speaking on Ive, relieve him from designing MacOS apps, in particular Calendar and Mail. Test your software on people with less than perfect eyesight. Ive can stick to making tables and spaceships.

6. Unless the update is truly "revolutionary" stop with the 12-month cycle for OS X and focus on making it work as smoooooothly as possible for users. If we don't have anything truly shockingly amazing to add, rename it to macOS and take a card from Microsoft's book by putting out updates making things better and more stable rather than making early upgraders tear all of their hair out and scream at their VERY THIN computers. Oh, and take a look on threads here at the forums talking about what people want to see in the new versions of OS X, they have some very good points.

7. Send the 5400rpm drives the way of the floppies and CD drives.
7a. By doing so give people more reasons to update their computers than "ooh it's thinner and rose gold", put USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 on ALL your computers, instead of sorta randomly scattering random ports among various models, stop selling computers that cost €2129 and don't even have a Fusion drive. Upgrading an iMac to 512 GB SSD costs €360. Samsung EVO 500 1TB costs €269. Apple Tax is already included in the €2129 price. There's no need to impose it on optional updates.
7b. For similar reasons stop "saving money" by selling 16 GB iPhones – 32 GB and 128 GB replacing 16 and 64 GB models at same price (it's not like Apple is going to lose millions doing that). I guarantee that those whose granny only uses her iPhone 6s+ to FaceTime and check dating sites won't be upset by the fact she now has more storage. Keep the 3.5mm jack for at least two more years AND add perfectly working Bluetooth buds in the package so people can make up their mind and, hopefully, decide that they prefer wireless headphones rather than be forced to use them. Instead of Bluetooth buds we can think of Lightning headphones but then the port must be moved to the side simply because when you plug the headphones on there's absolutely no way to put the phone in one's pocket without risking that the plug will break.
7c. If a product costs $1299 in the US and €1449 in Europe there's something wrong (unless your goal is to minimise sales, then it's all good).

8. Stop charging megabucks for memory and disk upgrades in computers that can't be upgraded later on. Yes, buyers notice what is happening. Especially when they bring their brand new €2129 iMac home and discover it takes ten times as long to load the OS than on their son's €600 Windows 10 laptop.

9. If Cook was so great at inventory, why the hell do people have to wait for iPhone SE 64GB and Macbook Pro non-base models for bloody weeks? (That's why I fired him, obviously.)

10. As for iPhone updates, stop making it thinner and make it better. I know there are some people here who actually demand a 0.2 mm thinner phones because they are SOOOO FAAATTTT OMG and longer battery life is a terrible idea nobody needs or wants but I'd take that "gamble". It's embarrassing to see Samsung, HTC, Sony actually take over Apple with their designs and internals. Show Samsung their place (second).

I have no opinion on Apple Watch, Apple Car, Apple T-Shirt, Apple Fridge or Apple TV. Minions, go work on them then bring me finished products and impress me. In the meantime fix all that is wrong with existing products. Your goal is to make sure nobody wants to buy a Surface or a Dell PC when there are clearly superior Apple products at comparable prices.

*sits on throne*

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Wow, like, wow! 0% understanding of what the CEO does. They imagine he's like Caesar at the Coliseum or the Queen of Hearts. Thumbs up, thumbs down, "Off with their heads!" As if success was a matter of tweaking product designs or lineups. Apple is a logistical behemoth, with millions of workers employed directly and indirectly, products that have to be manufactured and distributed in the right quantities, in a timely way to tens or hundreds of thousands of retail establishments around the world; hundreds of billions of dollars changing hands, compliance with the laws of over 100 nations...

Threads like this are the equivalent of an actor saying, "What I really want to do is direct!" Everyone wants the power to decide what the product is/looks like. They might have shot a scene a bit differently, gone for one more "take," given more attention to a subplot.... Tim Cook isn't a director, he's the head of the studio. His job isn't to make movies, it's to make sure those movies make money.

Reactions: Goatllama

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I thought the "throne" bit would make it clear that what I posted isn't a serious evaluation of my future stellar career as Apple CEO built on deep understanding of computer industry that I built during my 30-year long career as CEOs of various high profile brands. Maybe I should add some emojis.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
Wow, like, wow! 0% understanding of what the CEO does. They imagine he's like Caesar at the Coliseum or the Queen of Hearts. Thumbs up, thumbs down, "Off with their heads!" As if success was a matter of tweaking product designs or lineups. Apple is a logistical behemoth, with millions of workers employed directly and indirectly, products that have to be manufactured and distributed in the right quantities, in a timely way to tens or hundreds of thousands of retail establishments around the world; hundreds of billions of dollars changing hands, compliance with the laws of over 100 nations...

Threads like this are the equivalent of an actor saying, "What I really want to do is direct!" Everyone wants the power to decide what the product is/looks like. They might have shot a scene a bit differently, gone for one more "take," given more attention to a subplot.... Tim Cook isn't a director, he's the head of the studio. His job isn't to make movies, it's to make sure those movies make money.

Wooohooo, Party on Apfel!

It's just a fun, goofy question.

Hardware
I would like to see the laptop line cleaned up.
Macbook line (Thin) 11", 13"
Macbook Pro line (Performance) 13", 15"

I feel that this would cover all bases. Maybe even add a 17" Macbook pro.
Also explore adding 4g network option. and USB-C all around.

Mac Mini stays, but with RAM and HDD upgrade ability.

iMac needs a redesign, with ability for users to upgrade RAM and HDD.
Slightly Thinner bezel, and lose the chin.
No spinning HDDs anymore as well.
Screen sizes 23", and 27"

Cinema Displays, 4k 23", and 5k 27"

I feel the hardware for the iPhone and iPad is going in a great direction. Nothing to change there. Well maybe a little more focus on battery life for the phone.

Mac Pro is an embarrassment. Don't get me wrong, it looks great and has some amazing engineering to it, but if you want to look after the pro market, it's not the way to do it.
Needs to be a modular design that is easily upgraded. RAM slots, super fast SSD (which it already has), multiple graphic card slots so you can run them in parallel.

They need to release a wireless music streaming dongle like what Google has with the Chromecast Audio.
Maybe get back into the speaker game as well.

Software
Get rid of iTunes. It is so bloated.

Apple Music App - Music Store, Apple Music, Music Videos. follow bands, buy merchandise and concert tickets, etc.
Apple Movies App - Movies and TV
Apple Reading App - Books, Magazines, News Papers.
Apple OSX Store App-Apple iOS Store App Maybe seperate, maybe combined??

Give Numbers, and Pages a serious upgrade. To a point where numbers is equivalent to Excel, an pages is like indesign lite.

Focus more on business use.

Services
iCloud overhaul.....

Actually I'll stop there. I could go on for hours.

Reactions: riviera74

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Sadly, Apple is just too profitable with a powerful group of investors and a board of directors that doesn't understand tech the way the company needs to. Just like Microsoft is now.

Although the comments in this thread have been great, a lot of good suggestions! I would love to see Apple implement them.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Assuming the resources exist to do this. Realistically, they don't which is why a few products are updated at a time.

MacBook Air 11&13 - Bye
MacBook 12" as is + 1 more USB C port ideally at $999
MacBook 14" with 2 USB C and maybe SD card reader
Possibly more color options as that seems to be the target.

MacBook Pro 14" (tiny bezel, could we fit a 15" screen there?)
MacBook Pro 16" (screen size of previous 17")
Skylake processors, 16GB standard, 512GB std with upgrades to 2TB.
Faster charging?

Not charge 4x market prices for upgrades.
all MacBooks and Pros Touch ID to unlock. Hard Lock (if you attempt to unlock with Touch ID#2 (or whatever, a separate specific one), it can only be unlocked with passcode).

Start integrating USB C across all computers.

Mac Mini now with SSD.
Develop app to make it HTPC for those not happy with Apple TV.

MacPro update, and make it user upgradeable (RAM, Storage, GFX cards).

ATV - 4K, 3D, and capable to control other devices with IR repeater and similar. Make it a true hub for smart home controlling Nest, Hue, and similar products. Better parental controls so young children don't see Deadpool.

OS X - continue to develop and improve Metal, squash bugs. Add Siri, add "Hey Siri" improve syncing between devices. Encryption that Apple cannot break.

iTunes - find an easy way to randomly add songs to my phone but QUIT selecting Christmas songs when it isn't Christmas.

iOS - dark mode. Better photo Syncing. take bluetooth mouse/trackpad commands (useful when airplay). Hard Lock - if you attempt to unlock you phone with Touch ID#2, it can only be unlocked with passcode. Also, you can force lock the phone this way. That way, if you are recording say police behaving badly, they cannot as easily take your phone and erase it. Encryption that Apple cannot break.

Photos - Rename to something easier to search. Batch processing. More DAM capable for those that need it. Multiple catalogues (family photos, work-related, photos you still like but don't want children to see of that time you and your wife when to Cabo and....).
Add Pro features from Aperture (tethered shooting, loop, and whatever else you can lift).

FCP X - standard GoPro (and other ) lens corrections, better handling rolling shutter,

iPhone
2016 SE, 6S, 2017, 2017+ all in 32GB, 128GB, and 256GB models.
flush design with larger battery if the rest doesn't fit. Wireless charging, AMOLED screen, waterproof, better camera.

iPads - only latest models.
Mini 2016
iPad 2016
Pro 2016
wireless charging across the line.

4K 16*10 display. USB C which charges MB while working as display, accepts airplay from phones, ipads, etc.

iMac - all retina. All SSD. similar to MBPro line for internals. Touch ID and Hard Lock.

Watch - not really my thing - more battery life.

So -
Standardize USBC and Lightning across the line
Standardize Touch ID and Hard Lock across the line
Standardize retina display across all products.

Introduce official iTunes/Apple TV training channel showing how to get maximum use out of all products.

Damn, it is a nice dream.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Wooohooo, Party on Apfel!

It's just a fun, goofy question.
Yeah, sometimes it's just a fun, goofy question. Other times, it's an excuse for people to vent their dislike for the powers that be. It's not always possible to discern the difference.

Now, if the topic was, "Jony's fired!" (or Craig, Eddie, Phil, Johny...) it'd seem more like, "What I really want to do is direct!"

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
This is so TRUE and now, why I am joining the Apple is Doomed (in next 20 years) post.

Everybody wants:
A sweet MacBook Pro
An awesome Mac Mini
And an insane Mac Pro

That's all I hear everywhere, and they are like PINK MACBOOK! and an upgraded iPhone.

You know what's next?
Not a MacBook Pro
Not a MacMini
Not a Mac Pro

2 new iPhones and an iPad, THANKS TIM!

Next Year...

Same thing: A NEW PHONE! YEAH!! F.O.

Where are computers we can work on? And every time they introduce a new Mac, it's a new iMac, or the model they release, is NOT PERFECT, and not even close to PERFECT!

It's freaking sad, and on top of that if they do get close to perfect, the prices are starting to get out of control. I mean I'm getting to where I think I have start working on a Hackintosh again.

They just don't make the machines that we want anymore, get ready,

No good Mac Pro
No good Mac Mini
No good MacBook Pro...

Bank on it, and god I hope I am wrong... or else Apple is doomed to end up like Microsoft, where they just make money on iPhones, and barely with iPads, and they discontinue the Mac line, or have just iMac, which is ridiculous.

I mean think about this, honestly the Windows guys get to build all these crazy RIGs that are awesome, but they love Windows, which is there downfall. But Hackintosh community is always a release behind or more, and that's a rough boat to rely on for Working, a Hackintosh?

But what's next? Apple moves to ARM in the next 3 years and drops x86_64, right? And then guess what no more x86_64 macOS (Mac OS X) only ARM, so then Hackintosh can't be prepped, for x86_64 any more, only ARM. Then the Windows guys just keep building sick ass RIGs and putting Linux on it... and that's ball game.

Dude I don't care, but the Upper Management, is just a joke because the don't care about THE MAC BOYS. AT ALL. To them it's almost getting to be to much work, for them. It's pissing me off because they deprecate everything like crazy, and I am like F.U. This is ridiculous, I have 2 fridges that are 20 years old and they WORK.

It's just stupid anymore. The machines they release aren't even faster or if they are it's like 1000 Geek Bench Points or 500. And they're like your 2011 machine is VINTAGE... F.U.

SSDs crush there whole gimmick... So many machines are TOTALLY usable if you put an SSD in.

I mean seriously it's kinda crazy to spend $2,500 on MacBook Pro, when you can get one for $900 used (off eBay) and you might as well, because every new model, HAS BUGS, and crashes! for the first two years, and some models end up with some kinda video bug or mobo bug, that crashes your system once a month, AND THATS TOO MUCH. I want a system that only crashes TWICE A YEAR, period.

Whatever that's my rant.
No Mac Pro (what we all want, they could give a rats ars)!
No Mac Mini (what we all want, they could give a rats ars again)!!
No MacBook Pro (what we all want, they could give a rats ars and again)!!

Bank on it!

And check this out one bonus DREAD NOTE... If they go ARM, your beautiful Adobe CS6 you own, is WORTHLESS. Adobe Membership for life with the ARM version of Creative Cloud the only thing you can install, oh great just what we need, another "Utility Bill", for freaking 4 adobe programs on our Macs for the rest of our lives... it's game over, especially cause of this note...

And management just does not care.

second, note, the Windows Boys don't have it easy either, they still have to get on with the Linux migration eventually, because honestly only 25% of the people that own a "Windows" and use the NET are able to dodge DEADLY HTML Links, or some exe, that wipes out there system once every 3 months... And most millennials are getting there...

I mean we need to keep a KEEP macOSx86_64 ALIVE committee ... this is ridiculous. Intel freaking laying off like 10,000 employees or more, DAMN
[doublepost=1461746871][/doublepost]And the reason I said they'll end up like Microsoft is, they're are gonna to have 100,000 employees or maybe even 200,000 (by 2030) and the iOS platform (AppleTV, Phones, Pads, Watches) is just going to make the money, and they'll pay the employee paychecks, (200,000 employees!) Then layoff 10,000, then new iPhone! yea! [pay employees - ouch!]. Invest in some "chance" and then write $10 Billion loss. Next year keep repeating. Getting boring. That's what Microsoft is doing, with Server Services and Office. Trying to come up with a new hot seller. This is getting to be the old rat race in the end...race to the bottom...cheapest products blah blah... oh well...

Reactions: JamesPDX and loby

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I'd sit back let the company carry on making crap loads of money and take my big pay packet, as CEO my main obligation is to keep the shareholders happy and the money rolling in. At the moment that means not changing anything.

That is the irony of this whole thing. You are absolutely correct. Change nothing unfortunately, a CEO's job is JUST that: Keep the stockholders happy and bring on the money. Tim has done his job. It would be insane to fire him...though all of the techies "think differently". ;)

But...being that most (it seems) on this MacRumors site are actual users of the products or techies, of course they will have a different view point as to what Apple should and should not do...most will say "upgrade"or more power systems etc.

But in real life...if you look at the numbers and the latest revenue chart, iPads and Macs revenue's difference is only about 1%. CEO's are "number bean counters", so do the math. Think...

So much focus on iPads with little real focus on Macs...does not make sense. Of course I don't have all of the data, but if I were the CEO just with little info. I have...

Focus on taking the PC industry out and make ALL Macs segments the BEST that could be offered as far as latest and greatest technology, especially when they (you) actually had the chance to take out Microsoft etc. when PC sales were diving...people still use PCs, especially for work, so take the segment. Remember the "I'm a Mac" days.... You really won that battle Apple...but gave Microsoft a bone...

Millions or more iPads have been sold, but..a very small percentage of Macs out in the world are sold compared to iPads and PCs....but with at the end of the day only 1% difference in revenue....should you NOT focus again on Macs...NOW...Apple, especially when you have had the dive this quarter focusing on everything 'except' the Macs?

It shows that the PC is not dead. It will be around for some time. Tablets will not take over as the industry thought, why not make top-of-the-line systems in a now potential segment and get all of those PC people into the ecosystem...even maybe consider a new segment for you...the gaming industry...maybe quality Macs for gaming..?

Then they would buy your 600% mark-up profit iPhones, watches etc. once they enter your world. The PC world only has the PC going for them, that is all that they have. If you take away what they have by enticing them to buy a Mac, then they will buy the other toys in the ECO system for compatibility sake...no brainer. You thought that the Mini would do that....but you crippled the mini instead...why? Afraid of cutting into the higher % markups on the iMacs...wrong and a mistake.

Maybe you do not make your 600% on the macs...but hey..1% difference when you sell few Macs compared to the millions of iPads...is maybe the focus at the end of the day a little off..?

Hmm..if I were CEO and would want NEW customers to buy my "toys". New innovation is not in the forecast right now Apple...come on..you know that. Ive is more so in England or elsewhere or wants to do the family thing (a good thing). Then focus on taking away from your completion instead and not on "new toys...just for awhile".

I would focus on getting PC customers away from their main product that keeps the Microsoft's of the world alive... Get them NOT to use the PC and get them to use MACs, and they will enter your ecosystem and revenue on the other product lines will increase.

Yes, Apple had this strategy in the past, but focused instead on the iPhone and non pc stuff (understandable), but this is the best time to focus on "Back to the Mac" again...

Apple...YOU missed the opportunity when Microsoft was down....instead you focused on toys like the watch and wrist bands, especially when PC sales were at its low. An incredible Mac line-up would have put the nail in the coffin with the pc world and get people away from Windows, especially in business when their contracts are up. But you helped out Microsoft with paid back when Microsoft (Big Bro) bailed you out years before...far enough.

But now...its time to press on the war..or Microsoft WILL take over. The sleeping giant has awakened again...

Last edited:

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
The only thing is, about the above is, Apple will never be able to make a dent in the PC GAMER world, that ship has sailed long ago. Only because of one reason, PC GAMERS want there choice of Video Card(s). You know this tho...

Steve Expat

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2016
Tim was a interim CEO with 5 or 6 years max, and I believe that was job's plan for him, but the board saw the money continuing to toll in. But it's time for Tim to move back to the task he's a born genius at and that's CFO. Time to bring in someone who's future for Apple don't include a car, a watch and other old tech with a new face that excites no one. Tim is not a high end user like Jobs was. That's what Apple needs. Someone who craves the high end future product for himself that Apple will create. not easy to find, but it can be done and needs to be done now.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
what are these high end products u speak of ? Steve been on longer so its all standard,,, it's still too early to decide if Time is good or not based on history...... That doesn't mean anything, since it can go either way.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I always wondered what Apple was like during the Performa era. Now I get to experience the closest thing.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I always wondered what Apple was like during the Performa era. Now I get to experience the closest thing.
Yeah sure, the Performa era, the one with record sales, good market share and billiions in the bank....I remember that feeling.... /s

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah sure, the Performa era, the one with record sales, good market share and billiions in the bank....I remember that feeling.... /s
Which era was the one where over-fragmented lineups nearly killed the company?

Reactions: Flow39

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Tim was a interim CEO with 5 or 6 years max, and I believe that was job's plan for him, but the board saw the money continuing to toll in. But it's time for Tim to move back to the task he's a born genius at and that's CFO. Time to bring in someone who's future for Apple don't include a car, a watch and other old tech with a new face that excites no one. Tim is not a high end user like Jobs was. That's what Apple needs. Someone who craves the high end future product for himself that Apple will create. not easy to find, but it can be done and needs to be done now.

Apple is successful, although the curve for the last quarter is headed towards the wrong direction. I am no Tim Cook fan but don't be irrational; finding a new good CEO that is able to keep the boat afloat is not easy, let alone finding someone that can replace Jobs.
A bad CEO that looks good on paper might destroy Apple... remember Mr. Sculley? And Amelio?
Consider another political factor: Cook was handpicked by Jobs, and at that moment the board couldn't go against Jobs will. If Cook has to leave, it will be up to the board (now in state of panic) to decide who's his successor, not up to the politically weakened Tim Cook. Are you really sure that you want the board to decide at this moment in time?
However, Cook has to show some balls and get rid of a few key people.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
He is apparently good for Apple at the moment, but definitely bad for Apple pro customers which in the near future will make him bad for Apple in general.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.