Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joseph C

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2009
Didn't they advise people don't touch the Studio/XDR Display nano versions due to propensity to scratches/marks?

In this case it surely must be a different process because obviously you touch an iPad constantly?

Is this another MagSafe I wonder - MagSafe for iPhone being an entirely different thing to MagSafe for MacBooks.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
This is my conundrum as well - always been a fan of matte screens (ordered them on the old-gen 15" MBPs) but now with OLED and primarily using it for media consumption and reading, is it worth it?

Wonder if it makes the camera more soft!?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I got so unsure, too, so that I cancelled my order with the normal glossy screen for now. I mainly use my iPad for reading / surfing the web and especially movies – if nano texture visibly takes aways sharpness and color "popping", I definitely prefer living with reflections in bad light situations. However, the first hands-on impressions I saw seems like you only win with nano, and the trade-offs described above are EXTREMELY minimal.

Does anybody here already have an educated opinion if this can be possible? Or will this definitely be a higher trade-off than that it seems at the moment?

MadeInBaveria

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
I am also unsure whether I should use the normal glass or Nano. Has anyone found any hands-on reports that go into this? Thank you!

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
We will just have to wait and see them in the store, ideally next week. I would have no problem just replacing my purchased one, unopened even, for the nano if needed. A hassle yes, but not much of one.

I see no other way. Oh, yes I forgot, there's the YT influencers to consider (just kidding).

hiker-

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2016
There are many youtube videos etc that compare the glossy and etched glass OLED displays of the Steamdeck. Obviously not the same display but probably the closest comparison you could find for a handheld device.

Reactions: TracerAnalog

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’m personally eager to see this screen finish in the Apple Store, and compare it against a glossy one. My main problem with matte glass protectors is the reduced crispness and the added blurriness they add to the gorgeous Retina display of the iPad Pro. We’ll see how big is the difference, because the good thing about the matte display is the drastic reduction of fingerprints and smudges.

iSteveo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
I ordered the nano texture display. I usually use my polyester t-shirt to clean the screen on my current iPad Pro. Is that a bad idea with the nano texture display?

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I ordered the nano texture display. I usually use my polyester t-shirt to clean the screen on my current iPad Pro. Is that a bad idea with the nano texture display?

You will probably be advised to use the iPad cloth

Last edited:
Reactions: dz5b609

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
If you follow the Apple Studio display discussions, the nano has a very, very slight crispiness and brightness loss. But most people probably wouldn't notice.

MadeInBaveria

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
If you follow the Apple Studio display discussions, the nano has a very, very slight crispiness and brightness loss. But most people probably wouldn't notice.
Interesting, thank you. And what are the main advantages of the nano (for non professional users)? Thank you

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Interesting, thank you. And what are the main advantages of the nano (for non professional users)? Thank you

Nano is like a matte screen. Current iPad screens are very glossy and show reflections, almost like a mirror. Nano makes them less reflective. Nano helps people who use it outside a lot or sit near bright windows. But nano creates some slight diffusion.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Normally I prefer matte displays, but in the hands-on the nano texture didn’t look great. It’s also not worth the premium if you don’t really need more than 256 GB.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
The nano-texture models come with a polishing cloth, you should use that.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Considering the new Pros have 1000 nits of brightness, and 1600 peak (normal iPads have 500), problems outdoors or in bright lights, requiring a matte screen seems unnecessary. In which case, it comes down to simple preference. Some like the less mirror-y look.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
Normally I prefer matte displays, but in the hands-on the nano texture didn’t look great. It’s also not worth the premium if you don’t really need more than 256 GB.
Yeah, on the one hand it's nice to see some differentiation of the iPad product lines in terms of base storage and storage options but on the other hand the pricing ladder shenanigans continue with RAM options and the nano display options on the Pro lineup. SMH

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Just saw two videos about the nano-texture screen - the display is definitely matte but the black bezels are still glossy (my guess is to make the camera shine through the glass and not have a soft image, so they just left the bezels completely glossy).

Still up in the air about it!

Reactions: dabotsonline
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.