Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I bought the IPP with Nano but the earliest delivery was mid-June for Nano. I ordered in the first 5 minutes of the drop. Anyone else see this crazy delivery window?

Beemers916

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
I bought the IPP with Nano but the earliest delivery was mid-June for Nano. I ordered in the first 5 minutes of the drop. Anyone else see this crazy delivery window?
I ordered a 2 tb black 11 inch nano cellular pretty much the second the store opened and my estimated delivery is jun 7

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Does the nano screen improve visibility in bright outdoor light? If yes, I will consider it - if not, I don’t need it

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Seems people are saying the quality isn’t as good as standard. Colours don’t pop as much

If that’s an issue I say people buy standard

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Seems people are saying the quality isn’t as good as standard. Colours don’t pop as much

If that’s an issue I say people buy standard
I can't see many current iPad Pro owners going for the nano-texture option. Many of these are people who find non-ProMotion displays to be a blurry mess and can spot individual pixels from 20 feet away.

Reactions: Timpetus

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Just saw two videos about the nano-texture screen - the display is definitely matte but the black bezels are still glossy (my guess is to make the camera shine through the glass and not have a soft image, so they just left the bezels completely glossy).
I noticed that as well, it means you can still get distracted and annoyed by high-contrast reflections. As to your guess, they could have left just a small non-textured hole for the camera and Face ID.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I can't see many current iPad Pro owners going for the nano-texture option. Many of these are people who find non-ProMotion displays to be a blurry mess and can spot individual pixels from 20 feet away.

Yeah the advantages people wanted with OLED I think wouldn’t be there as much on nano display

For me the deal breaker is weight. Sounds like 13 inch iPad Pro is like 80 grams lighter than last model

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I'm very interested to see how the nano-texture display compares to matte screen protectors for clarity, finger-feel, and stylus resistance. I have matte protectors on my iPad, iPad mini, and Galaxy Tab S6 Lite. They work great, but I'd like to see if nano-texture will be better and if so, by how much.
I had both iPad with and without matte screen protectors and for most things matte is great, but for reading text, it's so much better without... and I am also very curious to see how much better nano is compared to screen protectors

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Especially in the videos below, I don’t find it really convincing. If you have bright light sources or windows, you will still see them a lot it seems.

Reactions: YaBoiD

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
I noticed that as well, it means you can still get distracted and annoyed by high-contrast reflections. As to your guess, they could have left just a small non-textured hole for the camera and Face ID.

Had to check if you were kidding - you're not. This is enough to sway me against Nano

images-4.fill.size_2000x1125.v1715106182.jpg

Reactions: asleep

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Especially in the video below, I don’t find it really convincing. If you have bright light sources or windows, you will still see them a lot it seems.

Yeah, they probably went with a less aggressive matte finish in order to preserve most of the crispness of the display.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah, they probably went with a less aggressive matte finish in order to preserve most of the crispness of the display.
It’s certainly a trade-off, but it doesn’t look to be worth the effective $1000 premium for me.

iappleme

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2020
Sorry, what is what in those pics? Are those all matte? I cant tell lol
They all look like the have the nano texture, I just don’t know if people are going to go around all of a sudden without a screen protector, imo.

BradGD

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2024
The videos of the nano texture seem to kind of negate the benefits of the OLED display as the texture makes blacks look dark grey, similar to the old LED panels. Whereas the non-textured models have the true blacks that seemingly blend into the bezels.

If you use the iPad in bright environments often there may be an advantage to nano texture, but then again they also bumped the brightness of these up which would help in those environments without needing the texture.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Also, comparing these in the store is needed, but you might want to consider the store lighting. It probably was worse a few years ago, as everything now it seems is LED, so it consistent. Hard to keep track.

I didn't get it, and am not worried about it. I've got a hunch I won't switch, but could be wrong. After all, gloss vs matte isn't exactly a new topic.

Reactions: ProbablyDylan

Beemers916

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2018
iJustine showed the reflection difference in her recent video
Lol im actually even more confused now. From the pictures above, i was about to cancel my nano order, but from her video, it looks way better (no glare) and not washed out like the pictures.

I think im going to just have to order both and return one.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Ditto here, I ordered a 1TB iPad Pro 13" nano maybe 10 minutes after the presentation ended and I have date of June the 14th.

onlinespending

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
Nano is like a matte screen. Current iPad screens are very glossy and show reflections, almost like a mirror. Nano makes them less reflective. Nano helps people who use it outside a lot or sit near bright windows. But nano creates some slight diffusion.
Nano also has inferior off center viewing, which may matter if you're using your iPad to watch a movie with someone as an example

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.