Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I tested it thoroughly, and it seems to be fixed. By it, I mean touchID issue.
I'd recommend to try 12.3beta. It quite simple to install. You can even enjoy Universal Control if you use 2 macs with one magic keyboard and mouse.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
One post above.. i stated that i’m on 12.3 also.
Yes, touchID is working, but the glitch it’s still there. If you let it going into sleep mode with the lid opened, when you press the touchID , it does not work after first try. It displays a strange screen (like the one when the graphic card it’s damaged, then it goes black again). After second try, it works.

Reactions: iamutkarshtiwari

Dj Rated R

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
I tested it thoroughly, and it seems to be fixed. By it, I mean touchID issue.
I'd recommend to try 12.3beta. It quite simple to install. You can even enjoy Universal Control if you use 2 macs with one magic keyboard and mouse.Is 12.3 bata stable or buggy?

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
So I have been using 12.3 beta for more than a week now I can say they have several bugs which I have reported.

The main issue with touch ID seems to be fixed which means, it unlocks when you press the touch id after leaving the lid open and locked for a really locked time. Meaning, you don't have to press twice now.

These is still the UI bug though, that the screen flashes for a fraction of a second when unlocking the first time after long sleep with lid open.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Yes, that's what i talked about ...the UI buh with the screen flashing.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Sorry guys, I made a premature judgment on the behavior. This touch issue still happens on Mac OS Monterey 12.3
I am thinking if I should claim my Apple Care.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
I haven't claimed the AppleCare yet. I think it would be too painful to get around. Making a backup, going to Apple store and all that. This glitch kind of started growing on me so I'll learn to live with it. Hoping, Apple will someday fix this.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
On my MacBook Air M1 2020 I gave up trying to use the finger ID button by itself. I find that if I first press down briefly on the Space Bar then rest my finger (don't press) on the finger print button it wakes up almost every time. It still gets a bit finicky once in a while and makes me type in the password, but that happens on my iPhone and iPads too, so probably an Apple thing.

squareeyes

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Started happening again. I'm on 12.5.1. Might have been 12.5.0 as I feel like it's happened quite a few times and 12.5.1 just came out.

boney12

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2022
Agreed. I am experiencing this issue on my 14" as well, which I purchased recently.

iamutkarshtiwari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Hi folks, recently I ended up factory resetting my Mac and coincidentally I lost my Time Machine backup so I couldn't restore. Because of this, I had to freshly setup up my Macbook. Note that it is on Ventura 13.2.1 now.

During the first week I was still facing the same issue with touch id like I mentioned in my original post. But 2 nights ago, I tweaked my Lock screen settings a bit and I suspect that it may have solved the touch id wake issue. Since last two nights, I have been leaving my mac lid open like I used to and in the morning when I just place my finger on the touchID, it wakes up like expected. I hope it stays this way 🤞🏻
If anyone may be interested in trying this out, I am attaching my settings.
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 12.47.13.png

DocBrownMacMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2021
Hi folks, recently I ended up factory resetting my Mac and coincidentally I lost my Time Machine backup so I couldn't restore. Because of this, I had to freshly setup up my Macbook. Note that it is on Ventura 13.2.1 now.

During the first week I was still facing the same issue with touch id like I mentioned in my original post. But 2 nights ago, I tweaked my Lock screen settings a bit and I suspect that it may have solved the touch id wake issue. Since last two nights, I have been leaving my mac lid open like I used to and in the morning when I just place my finger on the touchID, it wakes up like expected. I hope it stays this way 🤞🏻
If anyone may be interested in trying this out, I am attaching my settings.
View attachment 2168429
I noticed that where I could usually just place my finger on the TouchID sensor when my 16-inch 2023 MacBook Pro was asleep with the lid open, it would unlock without me having to click on the trackpad or hit any keys.

Since upgrading to Ventura 13.3, if my Mac is asleep and plugged into power with the lid open, when I place my finger on the TouchID sensor, it doesn't unlock like it usually did. I have to click on the trackpad or hit a key to bring up the login screen before it will accept TouchID.

Has anybody else noticed this behavior since upgrading to Ventura 13.3?

TheKostins

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2023
I noticed that where I could usually just place my finger on the TouchID sensor when my 16-inch 2023 MacBook Pro was asleep with the lid open, it would unlock without me having to click on the trackpad or hit any keys.

Since upgrading to Ventura 13.3, if my Mac is asleep and plugged into power with the lid open, when I place my finger on the TouchID sensor, it doesn't unlock like it usually did. I have to click on the trackpad or hit a key to bring up the login screen before it will accept TouchID.

Has anybody else noticed this behaviour since upgrading to Ventura 13.3?
I had it but I found workaround for it. Turning unlock with Touch ID on and off solved the problem for me.

djvanilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2023
I had it but I found workaround for it. Turning unlock with Touch ID on and off solved the problem for me.
Thank you! This worked for me as well. Been an issue for a while and thought maybe an update would fix it but turning Touch ID off and then back on worked.

dvazquezg

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024
I got the same issue. For me is a quick flashing. I contacted Apple Support, had two calls to go over the issue, but support agents are not aware of any workaround. They said unless they hear from more users then is unlikely that will be reported back to engineering, which sucks.

Anyways, here is the Apple Community thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255449205

Edit: I have a Macbook Pro M3 Pro 16 inch with Sonoma 14.3

cb80da5a-e5e0-4f3f-b18a-c53733a47487.gif

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
So, what is the correct function for Touch ID when laptop is locked and black screen?

Do we simply touch the Touch ID? Or do we need to press the Touch ID? For me, simply touch the ID does not unlock and I have to press the key.

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
I got the same issue. For me is a quick flashing. I contacted Apple Support, had two calls to go over the issue, but support agents are not aware of any workaround. They said unless they hear from more users then is unlikely that will be reported back to engineering, which sucks.

Anyways, here is the Apple Community thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255449205

Edit: I have a Macbook Pro M3 Pro 16 inch with Sonoma 14.3

View attachment 2346611
Same behavior on my 16" MBP 2021. macOS 14.4 Beta2

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
It's extremely intermittent on my MBP M2.

At times all I need to do is touch the button and it works.

Sometimes I need to press the button button very very quickly and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.