Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
9 to 5 max article written in March 2023:

Perhaps what’s most interesting, however, is this breakdown of panel shipments by model for the iPhone 13 vs iPhone 14:

• iPhone 14: Down 36%
  • iPhone 14 Plus vs. iPhone 13 Mini: Up 59%
  • iPhone 14 Pro: Up 22%
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: Up 23%
This would suggest that the iPhone 14 Plus is selling significantly better than the iPhone 13 mini. Both devices are said to have sold significantly worse than Apple had anticipated, but apparently, even the low sales of the iPhone 14 Plus are outpacing the iPhone 13 mini.

With that being said if you’re happy with the mini that’s awesome. I’m going to buy a used for as an extra phone. My mom is happy with her. And plenty of people are happy with their mini. But let’s not say every is running to apple to buy a mini based on one YouTuber. It’s the sales figures that count not some random guy making videos for clicks. And the hack is mini sold poorly.

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
9 to 5 max article written in March 2023:

Perhaps what’s most interesting, however, is this breakdown of panel shipments by model for the iPhone 13 vs iPhone 14:

• iPhone 14: Down 36%
  • iPhone 14 Plus vs. iPhone 13 Mini: Up 59%
  • iPhone 14 Pro: Up 22%
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max: Up 23%
This would suggest that the iPhone 14 Plus is selling significantly better than the iPhone 13 mini. Both devices are said to have sold significantly worse than Apple had anticipated, but apparently, even the low sales of the iPhone 14 Plus are outpacing the iPhone 13 mini.

With that being said if you’re happy with the mini that’s awesome. I’m going to buy a used for as an extra phone. My mom is happy with her. And plenty of people are happy with their mini. But let’s not say every is running to apple to buy a mini based on one YouTuber. It’s the sales figures that count not some random guy making videos for clicks. And the hack is mini sold poorly.
It's a sad fact that people are so obsessed with big phones.

But then I don't use my iPhone as a computer replacement.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I don't either (use my iPhone as a computer replacement), but since my first 6+, I've had a 6s+ (still have it) and now an 11 Pro Max.

I will never go back to the size of my iPhone 5.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004

People have limited means. Not everyone can afford laptop, iPad, iPhone. A 6.1 or 6.7 meet many people’s needs as their sold electronic device that meets their needs. My retired dad loves his 13 pro max (I paid half lol). And many people are in the same situation where income dictates phone buying decision.

Im the weirdo with all my friends. I have iPad mini, iPad Pro 11in, MacBook Air m2, iPhone 14 pro, iPod 5th gen, iPod mini 2nd gen, iPhone SE 1st gen. But not everyone is me.

Last edited:
  • Love

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
People have limited means. Not everyone can afford laptop, iPad, iPhone. A 6.1 or 6.7 meet many people’s needs as their sold electronic device that meets their needs. My retired dad loves his 13 pro max (I paid half lol). And many people are in the same situation where income dictates phone buying decision.

Im the weirdo with all my friends. I have iPad mini, iPad Pro 11in, MacBook Air m2, iPhone 14 pro, iPod 5th gen, iPod mini 2nd gen, iPhone SE 1st gen. But not everyone is me.

I would say that people have different means & priorities. Some people do not care much about phones at all, preferring to spend their money elsewhere. Then even on these forums we read people passionately liking/disliking the same iPhone model. There is simply not such a thing as a perfect iPhone for everyone. ;)

As far as iPhone minis go (I use a 12 mini), I believe that Apple pulled some serious engineering miracle making minis happen in the first place. It truly is a marvel, however in a minority. Nowadays most smartphone screens are over 6”, so the web and app content are optimised for them. Mini tries to overcome this by scaling the contents into its smaller screen and it does it well, at the extra load on our eyes, though.

We will see what Apple do with 13 mini ones iPhone 15 are out, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they continued selling it. I am planning to use my 12 mini for as long as I can and then replace it with Apple’s most compact offering at the moment.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I would say that people have different means & priorities. Some people do not care much about phones at all, preferring to spend their money elsewhere. Then even on these forums we read people passionately liking/disliking the same iPhone model. There is simply not such a thing as a perfect iPhone for everyone. ;)

As far as iPhone minis go (I use a 12 mini), I believe that Apple pulled some serious engineering miracle making minis happen in the first place. It truly is a marvel, however in a minority. Nowadays most smartphone screens are over 6”, so the web and app content are optimised for them. Mini tries to overcome this by scaling the contents into its smaller screen and it does it well, at the extra load on our eyes, though.

We will see what Apple do with 13 mini ones iPhone 15 are out, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they continued selling it. I am planning to use my 12 mini for as long as I can and then replace it with Apple’s most compact offering at the moment.
My perspective is from traveling to countries where there’s a significant apple tax to those living outside the USA. So they buy the most flexible phone they can afford and hold on to them. Even when I travel in 2014 when the galaxy note line just came out there already was a trend of people in Asia buying big phones to serve multiple uses.

I was in Japan a few weeks ago. They’re used apple iPhones were $100 more expensive than buying new in the USA. In Akihabara the 13 mini used was well over $600. And the yen is weaker than the dollar.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I had a 13 Mini for 15 months before switching to a 14 Pro Max because my eyesight is so poor.

The 13 Mini is a fantastic phone that isn’t limited by screen size. In fact, I do not understand why anybody would buy a ”regular” 14 iPhone (6.1”) over a Mini. Its screen doesn’t make it any more useful, and things only look marginally larger.

At least the 14 Pro has the better cameras.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I had a 13 Mini for 15 months before switching to a 14 Pro Max because my eyesight is so poor.

The 13 Mini is a fantastic phone that isn’t limited by screen size. In fact, I do not understand why anybody would buy a ”regular” 14 iPhone (6.1”) over a Mini. Its screen doesn’t make it any more useful, and things only look marginally larger.

At least the 14 Pro has the better cameras.
Try reading a pdf for work or your insurance on a iPhone mini. That was a big issue for me and why I went with the 14 peo.

And yes of course the an iPad or MacBook might be better avenues to read the pdf but when you need to respond while on the road and out and about the best tool is what you have available.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

I would just say that 'limited means' is what has primarily motivated me to explore different options since around 2009.

I have multiple Macs and PCs, Macs that have been highly modified, lots of iPhones and one iPad. But that all starts to come into perspective when you understand that my youngest three Macs are from 2009 and all my iPhones are from a 3GS to an 11 Pro Max. And note that those 2009 Macs came to me in 2019, 2020 and 2022, NOT 2009.

I make it all work. I can tell you my Mac Pro is connected to seven six displays. But five of those displays are 2006 vintage and my Mac Pro is currently running Mojave. This MP cost me $250 in 2020 and I specifically bought a 4,1 so I could upgrade it to a 5,1 and not have to pay the additional cost of buying an actual 5,1.

My point is that 'limited means' doesn't have to limit you. I've grown quite comfortable in using tech that's 14+ years out of date.

Click on the '7 displays' link in my signature to see just how much of a 'weirdo' I am. ;)

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Try reading a pdf for work or your insurance on a iPhone mini. That was a big issue for me and why I went with the 14 peo.

And yes of course the an iPad or MacBook might be better avenues to read the pdf but when you need to respond while on the road and out and about the best tool is what you have available.

I can do anything & everything on a mini, including “reading a PDF for work”, which I just need to zoom into and shuffle around the screen to see properly. 😉 I also appreciate, however, that it is indeed less convenient than using an iPad or MacBook.

Every iPhone has its pros & cons, I guess, so we just need to choose what works best for us. Should smaller iPhones disappear, it would be a pity for me, but I would just move on to Apple’s next smallest offering.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

It seems more and more people are moving away from the bug infested 14 Pro (Max) to the much simpler and more reliable 13 mini. I have a 13 mini and I'm perfectly happy with it. So I'm not surprised.

Will this trend even bring back the mini form factor? 🙏🏻
one person who made a video means it's trending going from pro max to a mini? why would people move from a far superior phone to a worse device? makes no sense. Quite frankly people aren't and won't and no the mini wont return to the line-up.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2022
One of my daughter has a 13-mini. She absolutely loves it coming from a iPhone 7. She doesn’t want to change to another model. I will have tough time finding mini for her in few years. I just can’t use mini, it’s too small after being used to 13 PM. I can imagine why some tiny group of Vocal, and passionate folks love this phone and project like it’s best thing that happened to iPhone.

Last edited:

Sami13496

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2022
I’m not sure if it’s 6.1 size or rounded corners but I feel that my XR is a bit too big for “regular” size iPhone. It’s uncomfortable for one handed use. Perhaps 12-14 series 6.1 inch is better in that regard because of flat edges. Haven’t tried those. So I might be interested in mini. Haven’t tried that one wither. If Apple won’t make mini anymore I wish the regular size was 5.8. Then 6.7 or whatever would be for those who want big screen and don’t mind the size.

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I’m not sure if it’s 6.1 size or rounded corners but I feel that my XR is a bit too big for “regular” size iPhone. It’s uncomfortable for one handed use. Perhaps 12-14 series 6.1 inch is better in that regard because of flat edges. Haven’t tried those. So I might be interested in mini. Haven’t tried that one wither. If Apple won’t make mini anymore I wish the regular size was 5.8. Then 6.7 or whatever would be for those who want big screen and don’t mind the size.

Yes, bringing back those 5.8” screens would be awesome. As a nice bonus, 11 Pro had a fantastic battery life. 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.