Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
The only way I would ever consider using a smaller phone now is if I ever got a job that was more physical and required me to be on my feet.

One of the primary reasons I really enjoy the mini.

Daily, I am required to channel my Inner Octopus; and it pleases me to not have to conceal-carry a large device.

If AAPL would just, finally, get-around to fleshing-out the Dick Tracy wrist-phone thing . . . well, that seems to be another story, for another day ;)

Currently, I keep my mini strapped to my back, and BT important convos to my PowerBeats.

My AW is my Triage Nurse.

IIAC, I usually muster <1h of actual hands-on screen time during my Day.

In-kind (but under juxtapositionally different circumstances) I don't physically hold my mini much during my day.

It just rests at the small of my back.

I rarely even know it's there.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

It seems more and more people are moving away from the bug infested 14 Pro (Max) to the much simpler and more reliable 13 mini. I have a 13 mini and I'm perfectly happy with it. So I'm not surprised.

Will this trend even bring back the mini form factor? 🙏🏻
Is theswitch truly “trending”, or is it just some Youtubers and MR folks?
If you want a max sized phone, noone is moving to a mini sized phone.
Secondly, “bug infested” (😂😂😂) 14 PM? Again, anecdotal posts from a few handfuls of whiners that must need “iPhone 101”.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Is theswitch truly “trending”, or is it just some Youtubers and MR folks?
If you want a max sized phone, noone is moving to a mini sized phone.
Secondly, “bug infested” (😂😂😂) 14 PM? Again, anecdotal posts from a few handfuls of whiners that must need “iPhone 101”.
Hindsight is 20/20, you know, this was posted more than two months ago.
And, since I myself have a 13 mini, I’m always inclined to advocate it.
Mes culpa, mea maxima culpa.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I think the different phones are "simply" for different customer segments. The larger sized phones are tailored for more intense use and people's need for larger screen size + content consumption.

The 13 mini, on the other hand, prioritizes a smaller footprint (my personal preference as I keep my phone always in one of my front pockets) and have a more reduced screen time. Personally, I keep my phone use to a minimum - for all browsing activities I used my iPad or MacBook.

I believe both "use cases" have their place and I understand both sides. A clear YMMV situation. I hope Apple will keep on selling Minis and also upgrade this cute little powerhouse in a year or two.
News flash, they clearly are done with the small form factor. The reality is they are planning bigger, not smaller. Apple is all about money and if there was money to be made there would have been an iPhone 14 Mini.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68040
Aug 6, 2022
News flash, they clearly are done with the small form factor. The reality is they are planning bigger, not smaller. Apple is all about money and if there was money to be made there would have been an iPhone 14 Mini.

It is ALWAYS about the money!

yeah3x

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I have a 12 mini and I'm gonna upgrade in the fall. Honestly debating going to the 13 mini. Idk if I can go back to two handed use. It's so nice to be able to one hand use my phone. Just concerned about it being a little older and the battery life.

Reactions: OJK

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I was looking at getting a new phone, thought about waiting and getting a 15 model. But am tired of the larger phones, too big and heavy… I went from an 11 Pro Max, to a 13 Pro and now just got a 13 Mini. Absolutely love the smaller size and weight, that was more important than features in my situation. Also the cost, iPhones are just getting too expensive.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
While I believe some people (a minority in terms of the billions of iPhones users) may move to the mini, I think it’s a dead device with some minority of people wanting it. Imo

Reactions: BigMcGuire

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
While I believe some people (a minority in terms of the billions of iPhones users) may move to the mini, I think it’s a dead device with some minority of people wanting it. Imo
I pretty much agree, but there’s been a recent trend of popular Youtubers switching from their 14 Pros down to the 13 mini. Maybe they’re just running out of content, maybe they did actually make the switch permanently, who knows? I doubt it will gather enough interest to really change any of Apple’s future plans. If there ever becomes a strong enough demand for them again, I can see the mini possibly coming back. There was a recent report Gen Z seems to love the old flip and dumb phones. Maybe a basic, yet fully featured mini may return because of that, something that can try to cater to those customers?

I like my 14 Pro, but my main reason for switching to it was to replace my 20 year old DSLR. Put that camera in a mini, I’d probably switch back to it immediately.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I pretty much agree, but there’s been a recent trend of popular Youtubers switching from their 14 Pros down to the 13 mini. Maybe they’re just running out of content, maybe they did actually make the switch permanently, who knows? I doubt it will gather enough interest to really change any of Apple’s future plans. If there ever becomes a strong enough demand for them again, I can see the mini possibly coming back. There was a recent report Gen Z seems to love the old flip and dumb phones. Maybe a basic, yet fully featured mini may return because of that, something that can try to cater to those customers?

I like my 14 Pro, but my main reason for switching to it was to replace my 20 year old DSLR. Put that camera in a mini, I’d probably switch back to it immediately.
Yeah, most YouTubers imo are not the barometer of trends. Imo many YouTubers go for the clicks. If apple was meeting their projections I’m sure a mini would be available today.

And no doubt the iPhone beats a dslr in convenience although not always in quality. I still love my dslr and red ring lenses.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
This thread is the first that I’m hearing people switch from the Pro and Pro Max to the mini. I think these people maybe wanted to test out the battery capacity of the Pro and Pro Max sized phones, when in reality, they really wanted the Mini size from the beginning.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
This thread is the first that I’m hearing people switch from the Pro Max to the mini. I think these people maybe wanted to test out the battery capacity of the Pro and Pro Max sized phones, when in reality, they really wanted the Mini size from the beginning.

I agree with this sentiment…

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can’t see a significant percentage of iPhone users doing this to be honest. I think the 6.1” is the most popular as it’s the one(s) I see used the most on my travels, no idea if that’s a global thing though. I use a 13 Pro Max and often get comments about the phone looking far too big. I have a 14 Pro as a works phone and no idea what Apple did to that device to make the battery life so poor. Feels a nice size though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.