Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
I always enjoy a heart-warming thread about iPhone diversity that provides support for survivors of prior purchasing errors.

“iPhone User, if you could send a message to your younger self who is just about to purchase an iPhone 14PM under the influence of alcohol and MR forum peer pressure, what would you say to him?” [Wipes tears. Clears throat] “I’d tell him to be strong, that he will regret, but later overcome this purchase. That he can always trade the phone in or give it to an elderly family member, but mostly I’d want him to know to keep it a secret from the forum members who would shun and mock him for preferring smaller phones. [more tears] I’d tell him it gets better, and that he can still buy a new iPhone mini from Apple directly for a very fair price.” [Leaves stage]

ACE_350

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2013
I gave the mini an honest try not once, but twice, and couldn’t do it. It’s too small.

Believe me, I’m just as nostalgic as anyone else. I’ve been using an iPhone for almost 15 years now. I LOVED the 4 series, 5 series. I remember so fondly of those models.

But, that was a long time ago. I use my phone differently compared to back then. Apps are made differently now.

After I first got a 6 Plus and then eventually a 8 Plus and onward, I never looked back switching away from the big screens. Now I’m using a 14 Plus. I never needed all the bells and whistles out of an iPhone. I value the 14 Plus over the Pro Max because it’s much lighter. I just want a basic phone with an easy to read screen, easy to type on, and long battery life.

It’s so much easier to read the screen.
It’s way easier to type on.
The battery life lasts astronomically longer.

The only way I would ever consider using a smaller phone now is if I ever got a job that was more physical and required me to be on my feet. But I’m an IT engineer for a living and at home my phone chills on a desk or piece of furniture 90% of the time. I rarely ever have my phone in my pocket except when I’m out and about.

I’ll never go back to a smaller phone with Plus / Pro Max models available.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I love my 13 mini. Best apple iphone i’ve ever had. For heavy use i have a mac and an ipad, but the phone form factor is just great for me. It gets charged during my commute in the car when i use it for car-play, outside of that i have plenty of battery for my purposes.

A larger phone for me is just going to be unwieldy.

I did buy a battery back for it just in case, but i’ve used it maybe 1-2 times in the past year - i do take with me just in case if i’m going to be away from charging for a long time but again… rarely ever need it. If i did find i needed more charge i could just buy a couple more battery backs. But i don’t… so i haven’t.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012

It seems more and more people are moving away from the bug infested 14 Pro (Max) to the much simpler and more reliable 13 mini. I have a 13 mini and I'm perfectly happy with it. So I'm not surprised.

Will this trend even bring back the mini form factor? 🙏🏻
I think the perfect set up if you have the funds is the mini plus ipad mini for the road a good celluar plan for data. I kinda feel a phone can only browse so much content and it's bad for the eyes to stare at a small screen all day.

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
I gave the mini an honest try not once, but twice, and couldn’t do it. It’s too small.

Believe me, I’m just as nostalgic as anyone else. I’ve been using an iPhone for almost 15 years now. I LOVED the 4 series, 5 series. I remember so fondly of those models.

But, that was a long time ago. I use my phone differently compared to back then. Apps are made differently now.

After I first got a 6 Plus and then eventually a 8 Plus and onward, I never looked back switching away from the big screens. Now I’m using a 14 Plus. I never needed all the bells and whistles out of an iPhone. I value the 14 Plus over the Pro Max because it’s much lighter. I just want a basic phone with an easy to read screen, easy to type on, and long battery life.

The only way I would ever consider using a smaller phone now is if I ever got a job that was more physical and required me to be on my feet. But I’m an IT engineer for a living and at home my phone chills on a desk or piece of furniture 90% of the time. I rarely ever have my phone in my pocket except when I’m out and about.

I’ll never go back to a smaller phone with Plus / Pro Max models available.
It’s too small for you.
I came from iPhone 8 which I still found slightly too big to 13 mini and I hope that I never have to go back to anything bigger.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I think the perfect set up if you have the funds is the mini plus ipad mini for the road a good celluar plan for data. I kinda feel a phone can only browse so much content and it's bad for the eyes to stare at a small screen all day.
Yeah pretty much.

Whilst i get people who want a large phone for those things as a single device... i'm carrying an ipad or macbook (or both) with me mostly anyway. I can understand if you're on public transort during your commute that a bigger phone would definitely win out (no charging so consuming battery, easier to use whilst commuting vs. ipad) but i don't do that so...

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Small phones used to be fine for people’s eyes. Plus one can make the system wide text size big in settings, so if one finds a screen too small then I think it’s really more about them wanting to see more text on the screen at once. And the battery life in those small phones used to be fine for most people too. The real reason people want big screens and big batteries now is because, as you mentioned, people use their phones differently than before. A smartphone used to just be a device you used to communicate, listen to audio, look up info here and there, and snap photos. Smaller screens (and batteries) were perfectly sufficient for that for most people (even people with glasses). But gradually people used their phones for more and more consumption, spending more and more time looking at the screen. This new usage benefitted from or required larger screens and batteries. So the move to larger phones was a logical result of the move to larger consumption (some work on their phone too, but that’s probably a small minority).
Two thumb typing on small screens was the one thing that was an annoyance for many (maybe most?) people even from the beginning though. But in my opinion gesture typing fixed that. In my experience, QuickPath, once learned, is just as fast as two thumb typing, and actually benefits from a smaller screen/phone. I was most proficient at QuickPath with my 4” phone (I now have 4.7”).

I still use my phone like people did in the early days. Not that I don’t consume—it’s just that I prefer doing so only at home, not while I’m out. And at home, even the largest iPhone is on the small side. So for me (and the few people like me) a small phone and a small iPad combo is much more ideal than a large phone. It would be very nice if Apple and the entire industry would return to offering small phones, but I also realize that the small phone market is small and companies are not charities. Maybe one day more people will want to unplug and get a small phone, then the market will grow big enough. Either that or AR glasses will negate the need for big phones.

jole

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Less is more. While I used to upgrade to a top model iPhone every year, two years ago I got iPhone 12 mini instead and have kept it since. Mini form factor is just perfect.

Now Apple Watch Ultra is solving some of the iPhone portability for me: not carrying a phone at all is very relaxing sometimes. Furthermore, Vision Pro will make owning an iPad unnecessary eventually. With that, I am considering getting iPhone 15 Max/Ultra and at the same time ditching my iPad mini 6. Kind taking the average of two mini devices. With the upgrade, I am mostly looking for a telephoto camera (expecting 5x+ optical), more RAM (expecting 8GB), and a more robust battery life.

If the same phone would come in different sizes - I would get the smallest one available. But looks like Apple will not give that option: to get the top camera and the most amount of RAM (8GB is more important than a say a 30% multi-core speed increase), I will be forced to carry a large phone. I probably will be treating that more like iPad and using my watch more and more.

Apple, please make a top-end mini phone. Even if it would be 50% thicker to house all the tech&battery or very expensive, please please give us the

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I went from mini to 14 pro. I should make a post, “millions of people moving from 13 mini to 14 pro.”

YouTubers in the last few years have loved the mini. But that doesn’t translate to sales given the mini is such a low selling product. I get surprised when I see one in person.

Oh and I was in Japan as well last month. Japan is a huge apple market and one of the biggest outside the USA. I saw zero iPhone mini. ZERO. And I’m a phone nerd so I noticed that phones people used on the Tokyo subway. I saw plenty for iPhone 6-2nd gen se, many 11s. And also 12-14 generations.

It’s funny. I love the 13 mini but I notice we are a hard core group but we do not represent the majority of people who see the price of the mini, compare the value and for just $50 on the used market or $100 new they can buy a larger more versatile screen. Because I don’t know about you but reading PDFs on the mini is a huge pain in the eyes.
This 1000%

YouTubers much like us are enthusiasts and therefore tend to be drawn sometimes to the model that may not appeal to the masses.

I personally could never go to anything smaller than a Pro Max, I love me a big screen and big battery, I’m still shocked that the masses are now drawn to Pro Max which seems be the best seller in the Pro series in each generation since 11.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
It’s not trending, these tech content creators are just out of news to report because it’s the end of an iPhone generation life cycle. It’s content. Nobody in real life is doing this.
I have been seeing this pop up a lot. I certainly wouldn't mind the smaller phone again, but it's not really worth the hassle selling my 14 Pro and moving back down to an almost two year old phone (even if I do end up with an extra $500 in my pocket from it). There's a lot of features I love about the 14/14 Pro that I'd miss with the move.

Most of these reviews mention how bad the battery life is in comparison and need to carry around a MagSafe battery just to use it (heavier users anyway). Before I sold my 12 mini, I weighed it with the Apple MagSafe Battery Pack, and compared it to my 14 Pro. The mini with the battery was actually slightly heavier if I'm remembering right. Still a lot easier to hold in my opinion, but if weight is a reason for the switch, you can cross that off the list.

I kind of wish the content creators would switch it up to maybe talking about cool new apps or something.

• Love

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I love my 13 mini. Best apple iphone i’ve ever had. For heavy use i have a mac and an ipad, but the phone form factor is just great for me. It gets charged during my commute in the car when i use it for car-play, outside of that i have plenty of battery for my purposes.

A larger phone for me is just going to be unwieldy.

I did buy a battery back for it just in case, but i’ve used it maybe 1-2 times in the past year - i do take with me just in case if i’m going to be away from charging for a long time but again… rarely ever need it. If i did find i needed more charge i could just buy a couple more battery backs. But i don’t… so i haven’t.
Same experience on battery here. MagSafe Battery will come in handy when battery degradation kicks in to prolong battery life. My ultimate goal is to for the first time every have the battery replaced rather than the entire phone. If they stop making mini phones (still have hope for an SE) I might just have to.

Reactions: throAU

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
I think I’m the minority in this thread. I switched from my 13 mini to a 14 pro max yesterday. This phone is mahooosize. I’ve always had small phones and this is the largest one I’ve owned. My last 13 pro max only lasted about 4-5 weeks before I sold or traded it in; I can’t remember. I’m going to try and hold onto the 14 pro max since I do like the ease of reading and the battery. I’m also going to keep my 13 mini when the honey moon phase dies off with the pro max.

Tru3B1u3

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2023
Small phones used to be fine for people’s eyes. Plus one can make the system wide text size big in settings, so if one finds a screen too small then I think it’s really more about them wanting to see more text on the screen at once. And the battery life in those small phones used to be fine for most people too. The real reason people want big screens and big batteries now is because, as you mentioned, people use their phones differently than before. A smartphone used to just be a device you used to communicate, listen to audio, look up info here and there, and snap photos. Smaller screens (and batteries) were perfectly sufficient for that for most people (even people with glasses). But gradually people used their phones for more and more consumption, spending more and more time looking at the screen. This new usage benefitted from or required larger screens and batteries. So the move to larger phones was a logical result of the move to larger consumption (some work on their phone too, but that’s probably a small minority).
Two thumb typing on small screens was the one thing that was an annoyance for many (maybe most?) people even from the beginning though. But in my opinion gesture typing fixed that. In my experience, QuickPath, once learned, is just as fast as two thumb typing, and actually benefits from a smaller screen/phone. I was most proficient at QuickPath with my 4” phone (I now have 4.7”).

I still use my phone like people did in the early days. Not that I don’t consume—it’s just that I prefer doing so only at home, not while I’m out. And at home, even the largest iPhone is on the small side. So for me (and the few people like me) a small phone and a small iPad combo is much more ideal than a large phone. It would be very nice if Apple and the entire industry would return to offering small phones, but I also realize that the small phone market is small and companies are not charities. Maybe one day more people will want to unplug and get a small phone, then the market will grow big enough. Either that or AR glasses will negate the need for big phones.

I agree wholeheartedly,

Content consumption is a significant contribution to increased sales of large phones.

Consuming content whether that be social media, movies, videos, songs and podcasts…

Smaller phones just don’t have enough battery to keep up with content consumption in today’s era. Some studies have found that people spend anywhere from 7 - 10 hours on their devices, not just including phones but laptops and tablets as well.

I think the 12 Mini / 13 Mini are for individuals who have a different usage, less consumption and more using it for texting, calling, photos and browsing.

Of course you can totally get a days worth of consuming media if you optimize your phone settings.

I think people who prefer the size and consume less will likely optimize settings, especially if they come from a line of smaller phones.

I’ve been able to get 11hrs 25 mins SOT spread across 2 days before needing to charge my 13 Mini.

How long your phone lasts really depends on your usage and settings.

Monday Night - Plugged In

Tuesday Morning - Unplugged

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 6.16.36 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 6.16.36 PM.png
    305 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 6.17.02 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 6.17.02 PM.png
    305.9 KB · Views: 65

kaisoj

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2015
The Netherlands
I sold my 14 PM and bought the 13 mini, because to me the 14 PM is too big and too heavy. Battery life of the 14 PM is amazing tho.

So far I’m liking the size and weight of the 13 mini. The only downsides so far are the 60hz display and the battery life, but luckily there are a lot of MagSafe battery packs available if the battery life is staying like this.

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I think the different phones are "simply" for different customer segments. The larger sized phones are tailored for more intense use and people's need for larger screen size + content consumption.

The 13 mini, on the other hand, prioritizes a smaller footprint (my personal preference as I keep my phone always in one of my front pockets) and have a more reduced screen time. Personally, I keep my phone use to a minimum - for all browsing activities I used my iPad or MacBook.

I believe both "use cases" have their place and I understand both sides. A clear YMMV situation. I hope Apple will keep on selling Minis and also upgrade this cute little powerhouse in a year or two.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I love my 13 Mini, but I'm very skeptical of statements like "trending" and "more and more people."

Clearly the sales numbers were too low for Apple to keep selling the Mini, no matter how much some of us may prefer the form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.