Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
So far it's been working nicely for the last week. I switch it about 1 to 2 times a day between work and home and there hasn't been any issues with the orientation of the cable or needing to flip it or anything like that. It's pretty seamless.

I really wish this display had more than one input, though. I know that's wishful thinking and isn't something historically offered by Apple. But, in this remote-centric era, maybe Apple ought to "think different".

Reactions: ric22

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
It appears, from the provided photos, that you have a certified USB4 or Thunderbolt 3 or 4 extension cable (male to female) connected to your ASD, that then connects, depending on your usage scenario (personal, WFH) to either of the 2 Thunderbolt cables shown. Given that Thunderbolt extension cables are not supported by the applicable specs, I am wondering about 2 aspects of your solution/setup:

What is the brand of the USB 4 extension cable that you are using?Related, where did you obtain the cable?

Second, given reported, elsewhere, connectivity issues when using extension cables with Thunderbolt connections, is your setup continuing to function smoothly?

Thanks.
This is an elegant solution without adding extra switches, things to plug in, and higher costs.

What brand cable is this and does it play nicely swapping between computers with your Studio Display?

I'm looking to switch my Studio Display between an M1 Macbook Pro and M1 Mac Studio using the Apple thunderbolt pro cables (similar to what you have). I tried a female to female coupler but it was very fickle and wouldn't reliably work when connecting Apple thunderbolt pro cables together to achieve a similar setup as pictured.

Correct, Factory Apple Thunderbolt cables, one coming from my Mac Studio, the other coming from my Dell Thunderbolt Dock under my desk (this allows my work laptop to always stay plugged in and charged, as well as connected to wired internet). The two Thunderbolt cable ends run into this little cable management thing stuck to the back of my desk https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WQN3134?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_CA0G7Y8ZGEYS9G3Q37C0 and I swap this exact cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCN813C...&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_SKVBEHPA27ERSG7CNVTX_1 back and forth depending which computer I need to run on the Studio Display. The side LB monitor hanging on a VESA arm has HDMI cables running to both the Mac Studio and the Dell dock, and I can switch back and forth with the internal display inputs and go 3 displays for work if I want to, or run the Mac on the side during work.

About once a month when I swap to the cable coming from my Dell dock the Studio Display camera isn't recognized by Webex Teams and I had to restart the Dell with the monitor attached. We just switched to Microsoft Teams last week and it's been working great, so it might have been a Webex software problem. Just remember to set your monitor brightness with your Mac before you swap cables if you are using a windows machine!

asterizk

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Sarasota, Florida
I have been monitoring this thread for so long, but I just thought I should mention that I got the recently released Sabrent Thunderbolt 4 KVM Switch. I use it with an M1 Mac Mini, an M2 Macbook Pro and a Apple Studio display and it works great. About five seconds to switch between them.
Thank you for this!! I was hoping one day someone would find a combo that works!

Reactions: Mactagonist

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
See Sabrent TB4 KVM Fries Motherboards - they're stating there that the issue was with uncertified components and that their firmware should fix that (now 6 months in).

I believe the risk is on the non-powered side - if you have a laptop that is receiving PD power and switch to a desktop, if the KVM makes an error, it will send power to the desktop system, potentially overloading the system board.

I went and looked at the reviews on amazon.com and .ca - they're still mixed for 2024 - including PD power issues and connection issues. (though appears they're not causing system failure anymore).

(I have 2 4k 32" displays that I'm using)

I'll keep looking.... :(

Edit: After continuing to search for the last week, I'll just bite the bullet and try the Sabrent. There really isn't anything out there comparable (still!)

Last edited:

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
I thought the cheap AliExpress solution was worth a shot over the really expensive Sabrent option, but it seems it was a bit of a waste. The Studio Display just flickers no matter what is plugged in. It can switch between the two computers fine, and all the components seem to be recognized, but the screen blinks off and quickly back on again once every 20 seconds or so. No amount of cable swapping or orientation switching seems to work for me.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
On the fence whether I should return it. Turns out the PD power is only for the active device. Their postings on Amazon as well as B&H Video say that you can power both devices simultaneously, but that's not the case. (windows laptop had a dead battery after my Mac Mini was active all weekend). I think I can workaround this by just getting another USB-C charger for the laptop (Lenovo T14 Gen 4 AMD Thinkpad) and putting it into the secondary, non-TB4 port to charge the laptop.

It switches fine between the two systems - takes several seconds, but no issues with the screen performance. 4k (3840x2160) HDR, 60Hz on both displays.

Update: They've removed the bit about powering both devices simultaneously from their postings on amazon.ca and amazon.com.

Last edited:

xanswimmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2024
After reading this entire discussion thread, did I understand correctly that if I bought Sabrent “Thunderbolt 4 KVM Switch” (SB-TB4K) and Belkin “Charge and Sync Cable for HUAWEI VR Glass” (CAZ001), everything will work for me, right?

The Belkin VR cable will work correctly with Sabrent KVM, right?

Is it possible to replace the Belkin VR with a cable from WJESOG "DisplayPort to USB C" (+USB-A)?

UPD:
I read the reviews on Sabrent TB4 KVM on Amazon: it seems that the developers have not fixed anything and the Switch is working poorly even at the moment (summer 2024): strong heating, unstable operation, burns out computers, etc.

And I came up with an idea: still switch different computers to Studio Display manually, but using Type-C magnetic adapters, so as not to spoil the Thunderbolt port on Studio Display and simplify/speed up the switching process

In my case, this will not be something very annoying, because... 90-95% of the time I will use a macOS/Windows laptop from my employer. A cable will be plugged into each computer (Thunderbolt cable from Apple to the laptop and WJESOG/Belkin to the desktop Windows-PC). Each cable on the Type-C connector will have a magnetic adapter, in the Studio Display there will be a plug sticking out - one cable is magnetized, and the second is magnetized

UPD2: on the forums people write that magnetic mounts do not comply with USB specifications and can be dangerous - then I can use an Type-C - Type-C (male/female) extension cable that will be inserted into the monitor and into which computers will be plugged in turn, so as not to damage the TB/USB ports in monitor, laptop and PC

Do you think this is a normal idea?

Attachments

• photo_2024-07-15_17-29-54.jpg
    photo_2024-07-15_17-29-54.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 16
  • photo_2024-07-15_17-53-15.jpg
    photo_2024-07-15_17-53-15.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

xanswimmer

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2024
Correct, Factory Apple Thunderbolt cables, one coming from my Mac Studio, the other coming from my Dell Thunderbolt Dock under my desk (this allows my work laptop to always stay plugged in and charged, as well as connected to wired internet). The two Thunderbolt cable ends run into this little cable management thing stuck to the back of my desk
Hello. Please tell me: do you have a keyboard and mouse plugged into this Dell Thunderbolt Dock? If not, then theoretically the keyboard and mouse (wired or 2.4GHz dongle) when connected to the Dell TB4 Dock will work on both computers when switching between them (Mac<-->Win)?

Or can I connect a keyboard and mouse to the Type-C ports on the ASD and they will work on any of the computers (Mac/Win) depending on which PC is currently connected to the monitor?

Last edited:

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Hello. Please tell me: do you have a keyboard and mouse plugged into this Dell Thunderbolt Dock? If not, then theoretically the keyboard and mouse (wired or 2.4GHz dongle) when connected to the Dell TB4 Dock will work on both computers when switching between them (Mac<-->Win)?

Or can I connect a keyboard and mouse to the Type-C ports on the ASD and they will work on any of the computers (Mac/Win) depending on which PC is currently connected to the monitor?
I do not, I use my Apple bluetooth keyboard and trackpad for the Mac, then push them off to the side and use my Dell laptop and a bluetooth mouse for my work setup. To be clear, the Dell dock only connects to my laptop, and the monitor switching between the Mac and the Dell manually happens between the dock and the Studio Display. I would think if you had wired keyboard and mouse attached to the Studio Display that they would then work with whatever computer was plugged into it. I want separate input methods because I often use the Mac on my side 27" monitor at the same time while I use my work laptop attached to the Studio Display. When Apple finally upgrades their peripherals to USB-C i'll upgrade my super old non-rechargeables.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Almost 3 months later and very glad I switched to the Sabrent. I do wish the toggle between systems was quicker, but small price to pay with being able to leave everything plugged in (except the work windows laptop that goes back and forth).

Reminds me I need to sell that Dell TB4 dock. :)

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Almost 3 months later and very glad I switched to the Sabrent. I do wish the toggle between systems was quicker, but small price to pay with being able to leave everything plugged in (except the work windows laptop that goes back and forth).

Reminds me I need to sell that Dell TB4 dock. :)
If you leave the dock in between the laptop and the switch you will always be charging your laptop. That's what i'm doing, except i'm manual switching the cables behind the Display. I still get an issue where the laptop doesn't recognize my Display camera probably 1/4 of the time and need to restart my laptop after a hot swap. I'll go for the switch if the price ever drops.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
If you leave the dock in between the laptop and the switch you will always be charging your laptop. That's what i'm doing, except i'm manual switching the cables behind the Display. I still get an issue where the laptop doesn't recognize my Display camera probably 1/4 of the time and need to restart my laptop after a hot swap. I'll go for the switch if the price ever drops.
As it's not supplying power when I switch from the laptop to my Mac mini, I simply ran a USB-C power source to the laptop for the non-TB4 port. Works like a charm. :) I have the two cables (TB4KVM and USB-C Power) tied together and connect them to the two appropriate ports of the Lenovo laptop.

bleighv

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
California
Just got mine in today, waiting on DisplayPort to usb-c to see how the switcher works but I have my Mac Studio and Studio Display plugged in and ready to go. I'll report back if things run smoothly (I have this coming tomorrow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNX7MS6...90a6c60a075fa&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl).

I did however notice that this baby runs HAWT. I can touch it but it's slightly concerning how warm it gets. Anyone who's been using for a bit have tips on how to keep it cool, or is it ultimately a non-issue?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Just got mine in today, waiting on DisplayPort to usb-c to see how the switcher works but I have my Mac Studio and Studio Display plugged in and ready to go. I'll report back if things run smoothly (I have this coming tomorrow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNX7MS6...90a6c60a075fa&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl).

I did however notice that this baby runs HAWT. I can touch it but it's slightly concerning how warm it gets. Anyone who's been using for a bit have tips on how to keep it cool, or is it ultimately a non-issue?
Just make sure they're all TB4 cables, so you're not limiting the bandwidth. I'd say mine is only a little warm - maybe body temperature? (should see if I can't get a thermometer to take a read off of it).

Reactions: bleighv

bleighv

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
California
Just make sure they're all TB4 cables, so you're not limiting the bandwidth. I'd say mine is only a little warm - maybe body temperature? (should see if I can't get a thermometer to take a read off of it).
Ah I'll look, I'm just using the cables that came with the switch.

One other question, I'm using the WJESOG DisplayPort to USB C Cable with USB Cable Adapter and the studio display won't switch over to my Mac unless I unplug the USB A from the back of the PC. Do you know any reason why it's doing this (or a way to fix it so I don't have to fiddle with any cables at all)? The ASD comes right up if I unplug the USB though..so strange!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Ah I'll look, I'm just using the cables that came with the switch.

One other question, I'm using the WJESOG DisplayPort to USB C Cable with USB Cable Adapter and the studio display won't switch over to my Mac unless I unplug the USB A from the back of the PC. Do you know any reason why it's doing this (or a way to fix it so I don't have to fiddle with any cables at all)? The ASD comes right up if I unplug the USB though..so strange!
That really seems like a hack....they're using the USB-A bus to try to get more bandwidth to the USB-C port?
The cable only supports 4k@60Hz and DisplayPort 1.2 - I wouldn't use it.

Edit: I'm using these Cable Matters cables for interfacing with my systems (I wanted more length for my setup than the Sabrent shipped cables provided): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0CFG85PW4/

Last edited:

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
That really seems like a hack....they're using the USB-A bus to try to get more bandwidth to the USB-C port?
The USB-A bus is for USB 2.0 signals to be included with the 4 lanes of DisplayPort which is good enough for connecting keyboard and mouse to the display.
The cable supports HBR2 (4K60) which is good enough for 5K60 or 6K60 using DSC. In fact, the Studio Display and the XDR display do not allow HBR3 from DisplayPort (the XDR uses HBR3 only with Thunderbolt to support 6K60 with GPUs that don't support DSC).

bleighv

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
California

Edit: I'm using these Cable Matters cables for interfacing with my systems (I wanted more length for my setup than the Sabrent shipped cables provided): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0CFG85PW4/
From my understand it’s so that the webcam and audio work on studio display. Do those peripherals work for you when using the Cable Matters cable with the switch? Just looking for the most seamless way to switch between the OS’. The less plugging/unplugging the better 😅.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.